First Year Head Coach Wins Again At Ark St

FirefightnRick

Two things to remember: 1) a lot of people have seen game film of FIU since we opened against them, 2) we've got a talent deficiency, especially as related to depth, when compared to most other D1 programs.

Our time will come. Annoying as it is to have to wait a bit longer, it will come.

Nice UNT has their new motto now "Just Wait!!" Whether it is 7 yrs or 50 years lets just wait.

Why do we always seem to have the same issue year after year, yet other smaller budgeted teams tend to ignore their problems and just win.

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 6

Nice UNT has their new motto now "Just Wait!!" Whether it is 7 yrs or 50 years lets just wait.

Why do we always seem to have the same issue year after year, yet other smaller budgeted teams tend to ignore their problems and just win.

We made the worst coaching hire in the history of college football a few years ago, which I, as well as many others, was categorically opposed to from the get-go. There's nothing that can be done to erase that. This isn't a blame game, it's just the facts.

We don't have consistent QB play, which renders our running game largely irrelevant. We don't have depth, at any position, which is why we get our tails handed to us in the second half (you'll note Ark State put this game away with a 21-point 4th quarter).

Complaining about wanting to win now is great but it accomplishes very little. We are not a complete team.

I fully expect Mac and the boys will win on Saturday. And I think there's still another win or two out there. 5 wins is more than we've managed in God knows how long. I'm not content with 5 wins, but I'm content to give the man more than 6 games before I start bitching about what he hasn't done.

Look for a big second year.

Edited by Eagle1855
  • Upvote 4

Yeah, getting passed by Ar-Kansas State always feels good. If the Green lose to ULM this Saturday, I can just hear the excuses, 'They changed the Kickoff Time, so we weren't ready'. If this happens, I'm ready to crown this Football Team the Chicago Cubs of NCAA FBS Football, if it hasn't been already.

It's bad enough getting laughed at back home in Texas, but when I'm getting laughed at here in Colorado, it really resonates how bad it is, New Stadium or not...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 7

http://content.usatoday.com/sportsdata/football/ncaaf/game/FlaInternational_ArkansasSt/2011/10/18

Hugh Freeze(sp?) is now 5-2 overall and 3-0 in conference, after beating FIU last night.....with Hilton and Carroll, 34-16.

Rick

rick, 1st i am sorry the time change has hurt you plans for homecoming. i know how you schedule your professional responsibilities around unt's published time and schedule. 2nd, both a-state and ull made good hires, as did we. however, they had a base of talent to start with, where we had little if any. hiring t.d. was a mistake. allowing him a 4th year was a bigger one. we have a young offensive line,weak secondary, no size on either side of ball, and need much better play at q.b. having said that, i am always susprised how la. monroe is able to do more with less.thanks again for your continued support of north texas athletics.

• Upvote 5

They return an All-Conference quarterback, their leading receiver and a good portion of their defense from a team that won twice as many games as we did last season.

Harry gave you the numbers...the '08 and '09 recruiting classes were unmitigated disasters. These are the guys who should be starters right now.

• Upvote 2

Amazing how fast this group...or some...can turn on a new head coach. While the guy told everyone over and over and over again that the "cupboard was bare"...so often in fact that some of us actually got very tired of hearing it...some choose now to forget all that and start comparing him to "other" first year head coach records. Rick may say, "I was just pointing out a fact"...and that's true, but seems to me that there might, just might, be a bigger reason behind the post. Well, that's fair even if there is, and I'll support Rick's right to have such a "reason", but folks, let's not get this thing going into a dumpster because our HC told us exactly what to expect and some chose to simply ignore him and decide that UNT was ready to compete for the SBC crown this season.

Congrats to all the HC's who have better records than UNT...good for them and good for their fan bases. It must be nice, but if you expected more than a max of 5 wins this season for the Mean Green you have been drinking much more green kool-aid than I have been accused of drinking. And, I see nopthing...nothing...to be gained here by pointing out every coach that has a better record that Coach mac at this point in the season...first year HC or 20-year HC. Lots of experienced and not so experienced HC's have less than wonderful w/l records at this point in the season...what, about half-way.

Let's try to enjoy the season as best we can, support the seniors on this team who have worked hard (and many who should probably be starting for SFA, ACC, etc.)and played their rears off for UNT, it's students and alumni. When the season is over we can all sit back and pontificate about what, if any, progress was noted, what the HC and staff should and should not have done (as if anyone on here really has a clue about that) and who should and should not be back to play for the Mean green next season.

We have a homecoming game this Saturday to enjoy. And, it looks now like the weather will be great for the early-start with possible showers later.

I believed Coach Mac when he talked about the players he had early on and I believe him now. This is not a one-season turn around project. Let's see where the Mean green is AFTER the season before anyone starts the "Coach Mac" isn't as good as......threads. Or, even threads that seem to want to infer that through comparisons to other 1st year head coaches.

Again, not picking on FFR...I get it, and I get where he is coming from. Just stating a "different" view.

Get a grip people, cool your jets and let's support this HC and his staff and these players as they look to win more games than UNT has won in any one season in a very long time. That would, be a nice improvement, right?

• Upvote 4

The "I don't want to be laughed at at work thing" is one of the saddest fan complaints ever. I love North Texas, but if I ever either (1) define myself by how 18-22 year olds play football on scholarship or (2) decide to be sensitive to people teasing me abut how 18-22 year olds play football on scholarship, I'd like someone to beat me senseless with a bag of dils.

Also, we've been at the bottom of the Belt for a few years now...so bad news on that whole "passed by" thing...

WOW...couldn't have said it any better than this. A laser right to the eye!

• Upvote 2

The "I don't want to be laughed at at work thing" is one of the saddest fan complaints ever. I love North Texas, but if I ever either (1) define myself by how 18-22 year olds play football on scholarship or (2) decide to be sensitive to people teasing me abut how 18-22 year olds play football on scholarship, I'd like someone to beat me senseless with a bag of dils.

Also, we've been at the bottom of the Belt for a few years now...so bad news on that whole "passed by" thing...

I had dinner last night with a woman who'd gone to SMU during the lean years and a man who'd gone to New Mexico. Throwing in the horrendous experience of basketball at my undergrad along with the past few seasons of UNT football, we all had a good, commiserative laugh at enduring the losses. In nearly 20 years of being out there in the working world, I don't think I have ever once had a colleague give me hell about attending a school with crappy athletics. Generally, I'm too busy outproducing them, cuz, you know, capitalism.

A favorite AM Radio phrase comes to mind. "America! Love it or leave it!" Honestly, if being a fan of UNT athletics is so freaking miserable across all possible aspects (winning pct., uniform, scheduling, coaching staff, parking, facilities, conference affiliation, lack of phone calls, too many phone calls, beer in the stadium, no beer in the stadium, win blowing out of the east, lack of coddling recognition from all involved entities from the president of the university all the way down to the corn dog vendor), then by all means, stop torturing yourself and put your hard earned entertainment dollars to better use elsewhere! Jesus, it's such a buzz kill coming here and reading the self loathing crap that gets posted every day.

I reiterate. It's a game. Played by kids. That we watch. With beer. And BBQ. Among friends. These things are supposed to be fun!

As for making your fandom part of your identity, I doubt a single person here will have it on his headstone "Husband, father, community stalwart. Cancelled out by being a sad alum of a crappy football program."

• Upvote 7

I suspect that those who are pissed that McCarney isn't producing results similar to what is happening at ULL and ArkSt haven't been able to look past the uniforms to see the actual players that are wearing them. Open your eyes!! With FIU and ArkSt, all you have to do is simply look at the size of the players on both of these team's offensive and defensive lines....and don't show me a freaking roster comparison! I couldn't give a rats what a player's listed at on a roster....open your eyes and watch these dudes while they are on the field. They are big, strong, and can move...and deep enough to rotate in backups that don't give much (if anything) up to the starters. After that, all three of these teams have better than average to excellent QBs and skill position players. Nothing against our guys, but we simply do not matchup...yet.

• Upvote 2

Speak for yourself. I'm sick of losing too, but I'm not naive to think one year is enough for a coach.

Seems to have worked out OK for ULL's coach who is leading the Belt with a team picked behind NT.

I don't think many if anyone is regretting the Mac hire, but I am tired of the talent excuses. Listening to McCarney talk about all that Texas talent that has gone to ULM of all places is disheartening; NT has got to set it sights a lot higher than out recruiting ULM. I guess his point is the old staff did a horrible job of evaluating players because I don't believe even Dodge lost many to ULM.

Although I believe most of what McCarney's says, I don't think it does any particular good to lament about something that can't be changed this season. NT is not the most talented group in the Belt, but after watching FIU and ASU yesterday and the ULL/NT game; I don't think that gap is as great as many seem to portray it.

• Upvote 1

Coach Dodge was a longshot hire. It was a nice idea, but this wasn't the program to risk his hire with.

FIU and ArkSt are returning with some of the best in the conference. Freeze is taking over with a good crop of players left over from last the coaching staff. He's coming into the game with a pretty good stable of horses. It would be a failure on his part, to lose a great deal of games.

Our previous coaching staff brought in guys that were probably not D-1 caliber. Our current coach has made that clear, and has been responsible enough to let us know that there won't be a sudden, drastic improvement. Funny thing is, he's already made some drastic improvements. I doubt Coach Dodge would've had the same performance this season.

I guess we really are kinda moronic to put so much blood, sweat, and tears into what a group of 20 year olds do out on the field 12 (or 13) times a year. But strangely enough, I'll likely continue to be moronic until I'm six feet under.

• Upvote 1

I guess we really are kinda moronic to put so much blood, sweat, and tears into what a group of 20 year olds do out on the field 12 (or 13) times a year. But strangely enough, I'll likely continue to be moronic until I'm six feet under.

I'm not saying don't care. We all care. We show up at games (breaking news -- I'm wearing something Mean Green and Rangers this Saturday, you guys) and we want this thing to finally take off so freaking badly.

But honestly, it's not blood, sweat and tears. Don't romanticize it. It's money, beer, bitching, cheering, yelling, drinking, more beer, tents, food, donating, meddling and sitting. And it's still fun. Maybe it's a losers mentality, but if I can't control the outcome, I don't see the point in wallowing for more than a few hours after the game. Besides, no matter how mad you get in the moment, you can always buy a new cat/dog/wife and move on quickly.

• Upvote 1

LOL!!! This board is amazing? There have been on going arguments here about how RARE it is for a first year head coach to win in college football. So I post ANOTHER example of it which now gives us two in our own conference, which many here spend half their time pissing on, and I get slammed for it. I would think we would be happy that our so called sorry conference is able to find coaches of this RARE caliber?

I didn't post a damn thing about the time change or or say a negative word about Coach Mac, who I love.

We need a new name for this board. "OCCUPY MEAN GREEN!"

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 9

LOL!!! This board is amazing? There have been on going arguments here about how RARE it is for a first year head coach to win in college football. So I post ANOTHER example of it which now gives us two in our own conference, which many here spend half their time pissing on, and I get slammed for it. I would think we would be happy that our so called sorry conference is able to find coaches of this RARE caliber?

I didn't post a damn thing about the time change or or say a negative word about Coach Mac, who I love.

We need a new name for this board. "OCCUPY MEAN GREEN!"

Rick

If you're not making a comparison to UNT's situation, then why post it at all?

Also, for a big, tough red-blooded, blue-collar , man's-man Texan...you're remarkably sensitive.

• Upvote 5

Two things to remember: 1) a lot of people have seen game film of FIU since we opened against them, 2) we've got a talent deficiency, especially as related to depth, when compared to most other D1 programs.

Our time will come. Annoying as it is to have to wait a bit longer, it will come.

WHEN???

Don't disagree! Coach Mac says the same thing but refuses to say when.

Speak for yourself. I'm sick of losing too, but I'm not naive to think one year is enough for a coach.

Technically it has not been a year yet. Coach Mac started warning everyone last spring this year was going to have challenges. If you talk to the man, you can't come away not thinking he is trying to put the best team he can on the field right now with the players he has. Two years ago we were told no matter the coach 2011 was going to be a rough year based just on who was graduating.