First Year Head Coach Wins Again At Ark St

FirefightnRick

Thank you. Even if I was begging for tickets (see previous post...I wasn't), is that not a good thing? Someone begging to go to a UNT game.....what a crazy idea. But let's belittle him for trying to have an opinion. That'll get em to the stadium.

No no no, we're glad you're going to games. We're happy you have opinions. You just need to realize your opinions don't matter when they're in contrast with those who consider themselves Mean Green Royalty.

Edited by Green P1
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

As i've stated before i'm new to the Mean Green world but you folks have no clue how bad things can get. I grew up around the Kansas State program and we flat out sucked prior to hiring the RIGHT guy (If you don't know his name you don't know college footbal). *See Below*

He took over a program that had lost 510 games in 93 years of play—easily the most losses of any team in Division I-A at the time. The school had been to only one bowl game (the 1982 Independence Bowl), had not won a conference title since 1934 and had enjoyed four winning seasons in the previous 44 years (including two in the previous 34 years). The program had also gone winless in 27 consecutive games.

1989 1-10-0

1990 5-6-0

1991 7-4-0

1992 5-6-0

1993 9-2-1

Give Coach Mac a chance before even mentioning/thinking/typing that something maybe wrong or not to your liking.

Me and my family due to various reasons have invested and turned our full attention to supporting North Texas. I cheer as loud as anyone and support the program in any way I can.

Cheer a block, cheer a first down, cheer a dam good punt.. get out there are root for this team and in time if Mac is the RIGHT guy things will be better

I think many of us fully understand and appreciate where K State was. That's what shocked me most when I walked into their stadium to watch a 1-AA Mean Green team on Sept 30, 1989, and K State fans were telling us how they hoped we didn't run the score up on them, because as of that day, K State was facing extending the nations longest losing streak to.....30 games I think it was?

Then a last second toss to the back corner a few hours later and the streak was over, and a legend was born and students tore down the goal post and took it up on campus. I think a part of it still hangs in some bar up there?

That was a long ass drive back from Manhattan.

And by the way, I didn't in any way mean to call those of you who are supporting this program bad fans. Surely most with some common sense knew this? I was simply pointing out that many of those who are the most critical don't give back very much, if at all. I can't help if it feels like my finger is pointing at anyone's nose but I call it like I see it and could care less if someone doesn't like me for telling the truth.

If I need more friends I'll get a dog.

Wait, I already have two of them? One is a Boxer that is tough as nails named Brewster. Can anyone guess who he's named after?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

I think many of us fully understand and appreciate where K State was. That's what shocked me most when I walked into their stadium to watch a 1-AA Mean Green team on Sept 30, 1989, and K State fans were telling us how they hoped we didn't run the score up on them, because as of that day, K State was facing extending the nations longest losing streak to.....30 games I think it was?

Then a last second toss to the back corner a few hours later and the streak was over, and a legend was born and students tore down the goal post and took it up on campus. I think a part of it still hangs in some bar up there?

And by the way, I didn't in any way mean to call those of you who are supporting this program bad fans. Surely most with some common sense knew this? I was simply pointing out that many of those who are the most critical don't give back very much, if at all. I can't help if it feels like my finger is pointing at anyone's nose but I call it like I see it and could care less if someone doesn't like me for telling the truth.

Wait, I already have two of them? One is a Boxer that is tough as nails named Brewster. Can anyone guess who he's named after?

Rick

Just a guess?

punky.jpg

Rick

Late 80's TV star Punky Brewster???

I don't think it is reasonable to expect UNT to hire a new coach and get the results that Arkansas State and Louisiana are getting with their new hires.

A red-shirt senior on any of the three teams signed in the Spring of 2007 was influenced by the 2006 season that finished a couple months earlier. Every other recruit was influenced by the seasons after 2006.

UNT 2006-2010 record 11-49. Best season 3-9 (twice), worst season 1-11. Most significant win(s) SMU in 2006.

Arkansas State 2006-2010 record 25-35. Best season 6-6 (twice) worst season 4-8 (twice). Record vs. UNT in span 5-0. Most significant win(s) SMU in 2007, Texas A&M 2008 Memphis 2006 & 2007

Louisiana 2006-2010 record 24-36. Best season 6-6 (three times) worst record 3-9 (twice). Record vs. UNT in span 4-1. Most significant win(s) Houston in 2006, Kansas State in 2009

Rather unrealistic to expect similar immediate results when UNT went a combined 1-9 the past five seasons against the two and when the BEST season at UNT in that time frame had the same record as the WORST season at UL and was worse the the WORST season at Arkansas State.

I was impressed with the McCarney hire but he did not take over the situation that Hudspeth or Freeze took over.

Counsel, we are just all frustrated about "starting over" again plus the constant losing is getting our goat (so to speak).

Did you see Harry's thread on classifcation yesterday and your thoughts on that? I think it just adds more obstacles to our eventual prize, but I think D-MAC is the man for this job once all the smoke clears from all our hot sports opinions and none on this board are too shy to express them (as they shouldn't be).

I concur with all you say (as I do most any time you visit and post). Good luck with your ASU season.

GMG

Skimming through some old post over at The Den.

This is from our coaching search.

Hudspeth, as I said in another thread, isn't a bad choice, if you think the program needs a total overhaul.

My point being that ASU wasn't far from being pretty good and we needed to hire within. If Freeze's offense hadn't worked so well last year I would have been pushing very hard to get him at ASU.

Your invested in this program, as I and many here are too. But understand that many of those who are shooting their mouth's off are not. One poster here was begging for tickets the other day, so you figure he's not invested with this program but has a criticism and opinion of everything. Another lives hundreds of miles away and probably hasn't been to Denton in 20 years or more, yet comes on here every day and has an opinion about everything too.

I don't know who you're referring to here, but as a casual fan who lives hundreds of miles away myself, I think some hardcore Mean Green fans on GMG have lost sight of something. Everyone who follows a program can't be a zealot. Some of us can't -- or don't -- want to spend that much time and effort on the Mean Green. I turned in my zealot card during the final season of Todd Dodge. I don't want another one until McCarney proves himself. I think my North Texas Exes and Mean Green Club memberships have both lapsed. I got tired of doing the same thing and expecting different results.

With 30,850 seats in Apogee and a dedicated fan base that's maybe half that size, UNT's going to need some casual fans. Is it really a bad thing that some of them come here every day to shoot their mouths off?

• Upvote 5

I think when you start investing money into the program, your view kinda changes. I know I was all about "whatever, I'll support the mean green no matter what!" when I was buying single game tickets for several years... Even when we had season tickets in the seats that did not require a MGC donation.

Once we started giving to the MGC, it kinda changes. You start to want more. You've bought in and are giving towards a bigger goal. You feel like your voice means a little more than it did before... at least I feel that way.

As divisive as he may be, FFR is easily the most visible fan of the Mean Green not named "Mean Joe". I wonder where the fanbase would be without his support. In addition to money, he also gives a ton of time. I have somewhat of a sense of entitlement with my measly $250 mean green club donation... I'm sure Rick has more than me. Deservedly so.

I think this site is a fantastic avenue for fans to vent. I'm glad Rick is chosing to vent here rather than in DRC's editorial or something like that where more people would see it. I would just suggest more tact, rather than coming out guns blazing. B)

All that said, I don't think anyone (FFR or otherwise) is in a position to call out any poster for living too far away or contributing less than anyone else. I think we all contribute what we can...

Also, the "Fire Helmet Jesus" moniker is stupid, and smacks of jealousy.

Counsel, we are just all frustrated about "starting over" again plus the constant losing is getting our goat (so to speak).

Did you see Harry's thread on classifcation yesterday and your thoughts on that? I think it just adds more obstacles to our eventual prize, but I think D-MAC is the man for this job once all the smoke clears from all our hot sports opinions and none on this board are too shy to express them (as they shouldn't be).

I concur with all you say (as I do most any time you visit and post). Good luck with your ASU season.

GMG

One positive in having so few experienced players.

Less trouble with veteran players who have developed a toxic attitude. Think it was Rick Minter at Cincinnati who once said the strange thing about coaching a program that has gone a long-time without success is that you end up being able to get some players signed that look amazing on film and you are excited to get that level of talent. Then you start wondering why they aren't going to the much better programs and if you aren't careful you find that they won't touch them because of their attitude. I know Joe Hollis got some kids from out of state at ASU later on that were surprising. One thing Roberts did early on was avoid kids from losing high school teams like the plague the first few years just trying to improve the attitude.

• Upvote 1

One positive in having so few experienced players.

Less trouble with veteran players who have developed a toxic attitude. Think it was Rick Minter at Cincinnati who once said the strange thing about coaching a program that has gone a long-time without success is that you end up being able to get some players signed that look amazing on film and you are excited to get that level of talent. Then you start wondering why they aren't going to the much better programs and if you aren't careful you find that they won't touch them because of their attitude. I know Joe Hollis got some kids from out of state at ASU later on that were surprising. One thing Roberts did early on was avoid kids from losing high school teams like the plague the first few years just trying to improve the attitude.

Reading another board that the Big East Cincy' you post about is averaging just 5K per game more than "7 losing seasons in a row" North Texas. Many of us have hopes for this football program and our fan base, too.

Never dreamed the Todd Dodge HS experiment would fail so miserably. We seemed to get no connection to other Texas high schools, either (besides of course Southlake Carroll to a limited extent). We have moved on....

I think when you start investing money into the program, your view kinda changes. I know I was all about "whatever, I'll support the mean green no matter what!" when I was buying single game tickets for several years... Even when we had season tickets in the seats that did not require a MGC donation.

Once we started giving to the MGC, it kinda changes. You start to want more. You've bought in and are giving towards a bigger goal. You feel like your voice means a little more than it did before... at least I feel that way.

As divisive as he may be, FFR is easily the most visible fan of the Mean Green not named "Mean Joe". I wonder where the fanbase would be without his support. In addition to money, he also gives a ton of time. I have somewhat of a sense of entitlement with my measly $250 mean green club donation... I'm sure Rick has more than me. Deservedly so.

I think this site is a fantastic avenue for fans to vent. I'm glad Rick is chosing to vent here rather than in DRC's editorial or something like that where more people would see it. I would just suggest more tact, rather than coming out guns blazing. B)

All that said, I don't think anyone (FFR or otherwise) is in a position to call out any poster for living too far away or contributing less than anyone else. I think we all contribute what we can...

Also, the "Fire Helmet Jesus" moniker is stupid, and smacks of jealousy.

Let's not paint with the "everyone who makes jokes doesn't give" or "class warfare" brushes right now. I know plenty of jerks and cool people who donate at every level and I fit in somewhere that is less than I wish I could give, but more than my wife thinks I should. I have no plans to reveal mine or any other known donation amounts on the interwebs (unless they finally decide to erect my Quoner bidet in the locker room), nor do I want to know what anyone else does.

Maybe I am just rare or have relative youth on my side or something, but all I have felt since donating is a bigger connection to everything around me and a greater appreciation for what I thinks ahead. I've felt no desire to have a greater say in anything, but maybe I need to start waving my genitals towards Bonnie Brae more.

I think I've shown I'm not afraid to turn on a coach (giggle) when it's possibly warranted, but I really don't see how a coach who has already doubled our last coaches first year win total is already failing -- especially in light of what ArkState posted.

• Upvote 5

Let's not paint with the "everyone who makes jokes doesn't give" or "class warfare" brushes right now. I know plenty of jerks and cool people who donate at every level and I fit in somewhere that is less than I wish I could give, but more than my wife thinks I should. I have no plans to reveal mine or any other known donation amounts on the interwebs (unless they finally decide to erect my Quoner bidet in the locker room), nor do I want to know what anyone else does.

Maybe I am just rare or have relative youth on my side or something, but all I have felt since donating is a bigger connection to everything around me and a greater appreciation for what I thinks ahead. I've felt no desire to have a greater say in anything, but maybe I need to start waving my genitals towards Bonnie Brae more.

I think I've shown I'm not afraid to turn on a coach (giggle) when it's possibly warranted, but I really don't see how a coach who has already doubled our last coaches first year win total is already failing -- especially in light of what ArkState posted.

Quoner, I liked that....................I think? A #1 for you.

• Upvote 1

The truth is that both, Mac and TD inherited teams that were short on talent. Dodge's recruiting approach was to overwhelm everyone with skill players , seemed not much attention to the big uns. Mac has noted the lack thereof and is working to balence the team with a healthy dose of the big talented players. Look for a number of JC kids to show up this spring.

The truth is that both, Mac and TD inherited teams that were short on talent. Dodge's recruiting approach was to overwhelm everyone with skill players , seemed not much attention to the big uns. Mac has noted the lack thereof and is working to balence the team with a healthy dose of the big talented players. Look for a number of JC kids to show up this spring.

In your honor:

• Upvote 2

I totally agree with these points. I was just trying to make some peace. We've got some ardent fans on this board with some very different ideologies. If I am guilty of painting with those generalizing brushes then, oops, that was not my intent. I also don't hope I come off as a guy that started calling RV and putting in demands because of my measly MGC donation... because I certainly dont and probably never will.

RV is paid to do his job and is doing fantastic while he's at it. Part of his job was to hire Todd Dodge. I think we can all agree that it was a mistake. Another part of his job was to hire coach McCarney. There's no way anyone can know if this is a mistake or not. Question him if you will (and some around here are)... that's all part of the fun of GMG.com!

I totally agree with these points. I was just trying to make some peace. We've got some ardent fans on this board with some very different ideologies. If I am guilty of painting with those generalizing brushes then, oops, that was not my intent. I also don't hope I come off as a guy that started calling RV and putting in demands because of my measly MGC donation... because I certainly dont and probably never will.

RV is paid to do his job and is doing fantastic while he's at it. Part of his job was to hire Todd Dodge. I think we can all agree that it was a mistake. Another part of his job was to hire coach McCarney. There's no way anyone can know if this is a mistake or not. Question him if you will (and some around here are)... that's all part of the fun of GMG.com!

Oh no...didn't think that at all. I was just trying to head off a trend where other people start slapping down names and info or calling out others for doing less. Sorry about the implication...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1