If This Scenario Ever Materializes For North Texas....

PlummMeanGreen

UNT needs to be in either the MWC or CUSA--both will no longer have a DFW presence in their conference TV packages at all if SMU goes Big East.. (Could there be a tug-a-war for North Texas in our near future from CUSA and the MWC)?:lol:

Wouldn't it be predictable that either CUSA or MWC commissioners could say what is in the below bold letters if we were their DFW rep and standard bearer for keeping a Top 10 TV market in their league:: "We have more upside with North Texas anyway. Jeez', wait till our other member schools see their Super Pit, their Mean Green Village (with its strategic location) and then their Mean Green Villages' crowning jewel....Apogee Stadium--they will be blown away with what they see."

The Big East looks like one big cluster love in session that won't (IMHO) stay solid, but I feel whoever the leftovers of CUSA and the MWC will be on better, solid footing. Granted, both leagues might be in a mild shock with who they may have lost, but they will get over it and see a bright future.

Projecting and guessing (as all FBS schools are doing now) if the Big East just can't keep all their new members from the West or Southwest happy, some of those schools may want to come back to CUSA and/or the MWC and if North Texas is "by chance" in one of those 2 leagues and after weve 'paid our time in either of those league's dues, we could have a vote with who would be allowed back. I tihink we'd be kinder and gentler in that dept. than some have been with us.

North Texas was kindler and gentler per se when we led the way and helped Utah State get in the SBC when they had no other place to go and the USU Aggie president responded by saying..."We owe you big time, North Texas." (Have no idea if any of that administration are still around, though).

What an amazing, confusing and messed up time for the NCAA.. Greed is a very difficult horse to saddle is what we say here in Texas, right?

GMG!

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I agree, but if either conference shows legitimate interest, Rick V has to take advantage and set up meetings.

Agree...

Rick V has 2 traits that North Texas has always needed in our AD: (1) A Type A personality and (2) a pro-active AD but.....RV must also be given direction from our main campus Prez' and the UNT System's BOR's as for him to be able to use both of those traits and as to what direction (and meetings) they want RV and Mean Green athletics to go. Just sayin'...

GMG!

I still maintain that there is a reason that there is no Sun Belt logo or artwork at Apogee. I am convinced that there is far more going on behind the scenes than we know. I have faith in President Rawlins...plus he is well connected in the NCAA circles. Stay tuned.

• Upvote 4

I still maintain that there is a reason that there is no Sun Belt logo or artwork at Apogee. I am convinced that there is far more going on behind the scenes than we know. I have faith in President Rawlins...plus he is well connected in the NCAA circles. Stay tuned.

I hope this turns out to be the post of the year :goodjob:

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'm not saying I have any inside information....I just find it curious that there is no reference to the Sun Belt at the stadium. This, coupled with the fact that Rawlins is very connected, leads me to believe that efforts are being made to make NT a player in this reshuffle. Size of university, television market, alumni base and our recent upgrade of facilities makes us a player. The success of football right now will have some bearing, but not totally when conferences scour the landscape for candidates. All sports but football are cruising rather nicely. Upgrade in women's basketball and football (the two problem areas in the past) seem to have been addressed. So, we are open for business.

• Upvote 2

I'm not saying I have any inside information....I just find it curious that there is no reference to the Sun Belt at the stadium. This, coupled with the fact that Rawlins is very connected, leads me to believe that efforts are being made to make NT a player in this reshuffle. Size of university, television market, alumni base and our recent upgrade of facilities makes us a player. The success of football right now will have some bearing, but not totally when conferences scour the landscape for candidates. All sports but football are cruising rather nicely. Upgrade in women's basketball and football (the two problem areas in the past) seem to have been addressed. So, we are open for business.

Good post Drex. I would also add even though we would love to hear evidence that RV and Dr. Rawlins are actively promoting UNT for advancement, it is wise for them to keep this behind the scenes under wraps. No need to burn bridges.

I think the lack of Sun Belt items in the App is a brilliant point. I distinctly remember those tacky "NEW ORLEANS BOWL- SUN BELT!" banners in the endzones at Fouts.

Glad to see the App doesn't have tacky high school style advertising for the conference.

But you gotta think that the absence of SBC logos means something don't you?

I think many others have seen the glaring omission at Apogee, too, drex.

I fear when all this shakes out this round we are still going to be in the SBC but......this re-alignment party will still not be over. If we can just show the same patience TCU did after the embarrassment of being defocked from an imploded conference and no interest for the Frogs (at that time) for Big 12 consideration. TCU's is a nice story for certain and (to an extent) a model for North Texas to follow as far as the patience part.

We can hope that our leaders are in contact with other league leaders that will improve our chance (when we do start winning) to actually getting ranked teams who go bowling.

Many of the lower tier BCS Big 6 league schools would envy our Mean Green Village; that is, all the strategic real estate we have with some pretty darn nice venues on them now with more acreage to build other facilities in the future

Don't many of us remember when we were going to spruce up Fouts (a la UH's Robertson Stadium) and convert the Services Bldg. (north of Fouts) to be our Athletic Center? Man O man, wouldn't that have put us in a corner we may have never gotten out of.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Not sure if all the other member schools have the SBC logo, but I cannot remember one that does not--other than us. I know Troy does, Ark.St. does, Middle Tennessee does, ULM does and Lafayette does. Can't remember about the Florida schools.