Alabama game thoughts?

I think most of us are happy to have seen some improvement between the FIU game and Houston game. So, where do we set the bar for improvement versus Alabama?

We already know Saban won't run up the score because he began to play second teamers in the second quarter a couple of years ago.

Personally, I'll look for this:

-Taking care of the ball by the offense/not giving Bama freebies in the way of defensive touchdowns/short fields

-Good special teams play; no more blocked FGs or PATs; continuing good KO returns.

-Getting three and outs from time to time against their first team.

Of course...I'd love a miracle and upset. But, having to be realistic, if I see those things above, I think it bodes well for the remaining OOC tilts versus Indiana and Tulsa.

Oh...and if we play like we did in the first half of the Houston game - cleaning up the turnovers, to be sure - I do believe that even this squad can go 4-4 or 5-3 in the Belt.

Click here to view the article

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

Everyone home in one piece and ready for Indiana on the 24th! Don't need any injuries. With JJ and Phillips out, along with a couple of others, the cupboard gets pretty bare and depth really suffers. I am not saying that the Mean Green cannot play toe to toe with 'Bama, as I certainly think they can, but depth will be a challenge against a bigger and faster 'Bama squad. These guys are good and they play in the SE Conference, not the Sunbelt. It's just the reality of they way it is right now. I wish we did not have to play this type of "money game", and I am hopeful that time is about to end. Until it does, I know the Mean green will again play to the last whistle and each and every player will make us proud to be members of the great Mean Green nation.

Will need a great effort on the part of the Mean green, which I am sure we will see...can they hold off the Tide? Doubt it very seriously. Can that make 'Bama respect them? I definitely think they will. There is no quit in this Mean Green team or coaching staff.

• Downvote 2

I say reduce the 40+ yard plays. Our DBs are slow and a top QB can pick our secondary apart. But we should have some scheme to at least reduce those long passes. Tackling is already better, but there is room for more improvement.

On offense, cut the number of mental mistakes.

Edited by VideoEagle

I'm hoping for another great game from Chancellor, a little bit of running room for Dunbar, fewer mental mistakes (especially in the secondary), a quicker release from Thompson, and most of all, no injuries.

If that happens, I'll feel really good about our chances going into the Indiana game.

I'd also like to see McNulty get some snaps (maybe a whole series or two); would be a great learning experience running the offense against one of the best teams in the nation.

In principle the bar should be a victory.

In reality I'll be satisfied if we do some good things and learn from it. I'm not worried about the final score this week either. Worrying about the scores starts with the Indiana game.

I want to see us move the ball some on offense, make some Defensive stops, and get some experience. If we can keep the first half down to a 2 score difference I will be ecstatic!

Health and a nice fat check.

Swear to god I thought you wrote "chick" and not "check"

But your absolutely right. Vegas line opened at 45. Let's just get the money and get home healthy.

I will say that we had much improved play from the kids and a much, much, much better performance by the coaching staff against Houston. Gives me hope for the Indiana game and beyond.

• Upvote 1