SMU hikes skirt, flirts with Big XII

MeanGreen61

Naturally we will jest concerning SMU but at least they are asking around albeit I don't think their Big 12 chances would be that promising. We can only hope our own leaders are continually putting out feelers for other upward bound leagues because the rule of thumb in the NCAA seems to have always been if you're standing still with your athletic program, then you are actually losing ground.

If our new most impressive football palace is the end-all and climatic apex of our program, then (athletically) we will sleep another 25 years in Denton and compete in the lower quadrant of our division. Check out our last 25 years for a little history of how quickly it can fly by and how many Top 25-50 schools we beat in that span of time as compared to other schools at or near our level who did pull off some major upsets. Coach Mac given time most of us feel will take us to the next level. I just hope our UNT leadership have the ability and the right contacts to do the same. Just sayin...

• Upvote 1

I doubt if SMU has any chance to move to the B12. Houston would be a better choice and I don't think they will get an invite either. It is probably way to early for NT to have any chance at an AQ conference, but long range I think NT could quickly be a better candidate than SMU. SMU has a lot more tradition although a lot of it is not good, and they have easily the best football team now. Neither NT or SMU can deliver much of the Metroplex market but if NT can start to win I believe they will be a bigger factor than SMU. The expected growth of the Northern Metroplex can only help NT. SMU has not commanded much of the market since Doak Walker and the advent of pro sports. Unfortunately, NT has never been much of a factor, but the share size of NT and it's rapidly changing for the better image could pay dividends in the future.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Craig James was lobbying on ESPN today for SMU to be added...

It was era that doomed SMU with a death penalty and he shot Leach down at Tech with complaints about his son..... what more damage can he do.??

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Craig James was lobbying on ESPN today for SMU to be added...

It was era that doomed SMU with a death penalty and he shot Leach down at Tech with complaints about his son..... what more damage can he do.??

Craig James and SMU talk - there are no two things that will make me change the channel quicker.

Fixed

Ponyfans should love this--similar to the time we had SMU Football Ads streaming on gmg.com a few years ago. I will never forget the fun they had with that one. One of their posters had the same ad that was showing over here on gmg, but he edited it to say, "Yea, we blackballed you." It actually was the first bit of honesty concerning UNT on that site that I ever saw.

The Big 12 even without A&M will bring instant credibility and fans to some team even without A&M. I can envision them looking at both UH and SMU not because of past ties but more importantly ties to the Houston and Dallas markets. These are BIG cities which have lots of corporations with money. They also have tons of Texas, Tech, Baylor, OSU alums who would attend games. Of course I wish it was us under consideration but if either or both goes it will most certainly open up good opportunities for us in other conferences.

The arguement that SMU is pathetic is old. Both SMU and Houston have done nice things with their respective programs. The Jones hire at SMU was a great move for them.

The Big 12 even without A&M will bring instant credibility and fans to some team even without A&M. I can envision them looking at both UH and SMU not because of past ties but more importantly ties to the Houston and Dallas markets. These are BIG cities which have lots of corporations with money. They also have tons of Texas, Tech, Baylor, OSU alums who would attend games. Of course I wish it was us under consideration but if either or both goes it will most certainly open up good opportunities for us in other conferences.

The arguement that SMU is pathetic is old. Both SMU and Houston have done nice things with their respective programs. The Jones hire at SMU was a great move for them.

But what advantage is it to the Big 12 to give some other team "instant credibility"? The Big 12 does not exist as a charity organization to help second-tier teams reach the big time. Yes, SMU has done nicely the past two years, but I just don't see SMU adding a thing to the Big 12 that they don't already have.

• Upvote 1

SMU has had a winning season and a .500 season the past two years. Their attendance last year not counting the TCU game was 18,500. That was coming off their first winning season since the 80s and a blowout win over a top 25 team. I don't even find them as credible a replacement in the Big 12 as Tulsa.

We have our own attendance issues, but I don't see how anyone can look at SMU and feel like they haven't peaked. With schools like UH and UNT, there's much more potential to bring back alums and others with ties to the school. None of the three are really great candidates at the moment. If the Big 12 decides to take on a project school or two, I think it'll be UH, UNT, Colorado State, etc long before it's SMU. You don't lose a school with a 46,000 enrollment and replace it with 12,000.

Truth be told, I'm not even sure why SMU fans would want to be in the Big 12. Their admissions standards would mean the only teams they'd regularly compete with would be Baylor and Iowa State.

Edited by ColoradoEagle
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

While I dislike smu as much as the next NT alumn, I don't get why we make fun of them for trying to get into a "better" conference. Aren't we wanting the same thing? And it's only now that our athletic department and school officials have decided to make athletics a priority. I only hope it's not too late for us. I can't fault them

For trying. I only wish we would. With that said I think the sun belt is a good spot for us right now, despite it's reputation. But if we by the grace of God get an offer from any other conference I sure hope we take a serious look at it.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Wait...the Jones hire was a good enough move to propel SMU into an AQ conference?!

You know SMU is blackballing us when our most connected alums are openly pimping them for a promotion out of the very conference that we want into.

Personally, I don't get why SMU even tries anymore. To me, their ideal scenario is to be in an Ivy league type FCS conference---if such a thing existed in this part of the country. The 4 big Texas privates (Baylor, TCU, SMU, and Rice) should join up with Tulane, Tulsa, etc and form their own southern Ivy league. The general population just does not connect with these places. Only Baylor somehow escapes the "elitist" tag of that group of schools (maybe Tulsa, as well). These schools would be better off jacking up their tuition/fees/entrance requirements and making a move to be truly elite schools (Rice already is). In a state with as many big public schools as Texas, isn't there a need for that? Focus on other ways to improve their profile...the athletics ship has sailed. TCU, SMU and Baylor continue to pour millions upon millions of dollars into their athletic programs and none of them can sell out their stadiums unless a truly large state school's visiting fans fill it for them.

It makes no sense. Stop it already.

Edited by TIgreen01
  • Downvote 2

I'm not buying that Smut adds value to an A&M-less Big?12. The argument that they would bring more Dallas media is overrated. The DMN already covers the Big?12 way too much. Adding Smut would not increase it nor the number of TVs anywhere watching games that contained Smut. Same for the city of Houston with all it's uT grads, it already gets too much coverage.

A public appeal for entry by Smut does not raise their lack of value to anyone making the expansion decision. They will be told "Thanks, but NO thanks"...Next candidate...

Edited by NT80
  • Downvote 2