State Rep Dan Branch pushing for SMU to replace A&M

Harry

The park cities is part of Rep. Branch's district so I can see him having at least a passing interest in pimping SMUt. However, with budget shortfalls, failing public schools, immigration issues, etc., I fail to see how he has time for drivel like helping SMU achieve something they so richly DON'T DESERVE. :thumbsd:

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Wouldn't this help NT move to CUSA?

Even if Houston and SMU moved to a new Big 12, if CUSA brought in NT and La Tech, I would love to be in a conference with the likes of Tulsa, Marshall, UTEP, La Tech, Rice, So Miss...

I don't know why we care if SMU gets into a better conference if it also helps us do the same.

• Upvote 2

Wouldn't this help NT move to CUSA?

Even if Houston and SMU moved to a new Big 12, if CUSA brought in NT and La Tech, I would love to be in a conference with the likes of Tulsa, Marshall, UTEP, La Tech, Rice, So Miss...

I don't know why we care if SMU gets into a better conference if it also helps us do the same.

exactly... this could be the best thing for UNT

If we are to assume a conference wouldn't want more than one team from the same market, why would anyone take SMU over TCU? Never going to happen. And if you think TCU wouldn't bail on the Big East one year after joining, you've not followed the serial-dater that is TCU through their conference changes over the years. They'd join a regional conference in ALL sports with a quickness, if given the opportunity.

SMU to the Big 12 is not the best-case scenario for UNT; UNT to the Big 12 (or similar) is the best-case for UNT.

Edited by Eagle1855

If we are to assume a conference wouldn't want more than one team from the same market, why would anyone take SMU over TCU? Never going to happen. And if you think TCU wouldn't bail on the Big East one year after joining, you've not followed the serial-dater that is TCU through their conference changes over the years. They'd join a regional conference in ALL sports with a quickness, if given the opportunity.

SMU to the Big 12 is not the best-case scenario for UNT; UNT to the Big 12 (or similar) is the best-case for UNT.

I don't think the pink polos advancing in this world would help anybody... except the pink polos.

I personally think the best case scenario is to be in a conference WITH the pink polos. There is a built in rivalry that would really generate interest... We don't care for them... and I'm quite sure they don't care for us. Just my 2 cents... if that's in cusa or whatever, that is the best case scenario for attendance and general buzz around the dfw area.

go mean green.

I've actually heard this from a couple of different people. I don't think it will happen but they are higher up on the list than a rational person would expect. If (and that's a big if) Big 12 survives, I expect them to get back to 12. They'll try to get BYU first to get to 10. After that I would look at Air Force and Memphis, but I'm guessing Air Force and either Houston or SMU. I don't think they want two Texas schools unless they can't get BYU.

Provided aTm is the only defection, they would go after ND (who will say no), or BYU (fair to good chance), IMO. Barring that, and provided Missouri stays, I think the Big 12 will survive until 2015. TCU is not seen as bringing enough to the table with TV and fans. Houston and SMU have about the same shot at Big 12 membership. Which is 0%, IMO.

SMU is not ready to play the on even par with the majority of the Big XII schools and I find it highly unlikely that SMU would even be considered at this time...for one, their stadium is way too small.

June Jones had a great quote that may even be applicable to UNT at the moment...when asked the question "How does SMU become a bigger player in conference realignment?" his response was...."Just keep winning".

I think that pretty much hits it on the head.

As to Rep. Branch...well, he is doing exactly what i would hope the Reps. in UNT's district are doing...what they think is best for the folks they represent. Why be upset with Branch for simply doing his job? One might look to the Reps. in UNT's area and ask, "what are you doing to support UNT in realignment?"

I would love nothing better than to play SMU each and every year. It's the best natural rivalry possible at this time for UNT...and, I think, SMU. So, like some here, I definitely would not mind being in the same conference with SMU. Can you imagine the fun on game days, and the size of the crowd UNT would have when playing in Dallas? So very much fun, and think of the "chatter" that would take place leading up to the annual game. Be still my heart!

GO MEAN GREEN!

• Upvote 3

SMU's problem with getting into the big 12, is the political landscape has changed. With the freedom of information act and the push for more transparency, the SWC of the 80s with cigar filled back rooms and shady deals over scotch are gone. SMU thrived in this atmosphere for a while in the 80s. Not for 30 years before then or 30 years after then. They will have to get by on substance and merit which they have little of. They can't grow anymore. There is a ceiling for SMU. I'm not naive enough to think shady deals don't still go on but they're not as rampant as they were and SMU doesn't have the power or influence anymore it had while cheating. What would SMU add to the big 12? VHS tapes of the Pony Express? The only thing is media market but guess what, TCU heading to a BCS conference and UNT (who has been just as successful the past 30 years has just as big if not bigger a fan base, and is just scratching the surface of it's potential) are in the same market. UNT is no where near ready for something like that now but in 3-5 years? Look at where SMU is and look at where UNT is.

SMU is capped.

Provided aTm is the only defection, they would go after ND (who will say no), or BYU (fair to good chance), IMO. Barring that, and provided Missouri stays, I think the Big 12 will survive until 2015. TCU is not seen as bringing enough to the table with TV and fans. Houston and SMU have about the same shot at Big 12 membership. Which is 0%, IMO.

I completely agree. I fully believe that BYU will be in this league, if it still exists. That keeps them at 10, gets a big name in the conference, and would add a TV market and a national following. Texas and ESPN have BYU in their hip pocket--I am still convinced that both had major influence on BYU goin independent. As soon as they announced their indy status, Texas scheduled them for two games and ESPN immediately announced a TV deal with them. Both of those two parties need BYU and won't care a bit about the BYU network. SMU, UH, and every other school in Texas and Oklahoma will never get into the conference as long as the conference membership looks the way it does now.

• Upvote 1

SMU's problem with getting into the big 12, is the political landscape has changed. With the freedom of information act and the push for more transparency, the SWC of the 80s with cigar filled back rooms and shady deals over scotch are gone. SMU thrived in this atmosphere for a while in the 80s. Not for 30 years before then or 30 years after then. They will have to get by on substance and merit which they have little of. They can't grow anymore. There is a ceiling for SMU. I'm not naive enough to think shady deals don't still go on but they're not as rampant as they were and SMU doesn't have the power or influence anymore it had while cheating. What would SMU add to the big 12? VHS tapes of the Pony Express? The only thing is media market but guess what, TCU heading to a BCS conference and UNT (who has been just as successful the past 30 years has just as big if not bigger a fan base, and is just scratching the surface of it's potential) are in the same market. UNT is no where near ready for something like that now but in 3-5 years? Look at where SMU is and look at where UNT is.

SMU is capped.

Very well stated....SMU even with June Jone's bowl teams is still struggling at the turnstiles for a school that would be considered for the Big 12. Lest we forget, what were some of the reasons the SWC disbanded? .

North Texas has a chance to make some giant steps forward if we just don't go back to our usual M.O. of retreating and going backwards. That M.O. has worn out so many who used to be familiar faces at home games.

Our heads are in the clouds right now with this new stadium, 'twould be nice to keep them there for about a decade or 2 or 3. Everyone who is building a new or refurbished stadium in our state are shooting for 40,000 seats minimum, hope that is not an omen of some kind albeit all we need is a tad over 9,000 more seats and we would be at 40K ourselves.

Texas State is talking 34,000 for their next expansion and they sound serious about it. With Coach Fran tootin' their horns they could make that happen and nothing more would they like than to say in San Marcos is they "out-done" North Texas (at least) in stadium seating capacity but this is what its all about in Texas intercollegiate football if we all think back to how silly things got in the Southwest Conference with their own arms race they had going for decades pre-implosion. Before another expansion my bet would be for an indoor multi-use practice facility and jeez, with climate warming (not global warming thank you very much) that would probably need to happen sooner than later.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

---Other than cheating problems... the demise of the SWC was largely triggered by the small crowds of Fans that TCU, Rice and SMU was bringing to games.. Baylor was bit better, (plus political connections) and was connected to the largest religious group in Texas. Not much has changed with those three except TCU is drawing good at the moment due to recent success.... but will that continue if they start to lose quite a bit.... doubt it. They have a rather small rabid fan base and small group of alums... Often their stadiums were filled with fans of the opponents and not their fans. They brought little to the conference in money, fans, interest, or recognition.

---We have a huge fan base available if we were in a better known conference and with better known opponents. We also need to develope several programs.... We aren't the ideal choice now.... but we have great potential with a lot of potential fans in a huge market of two million in the Dallas /Fort Worth area}... I may be nuts and biased but long term we look the best.

• Upvote 1