If Houston bolt to the BIg 12 then UNT might get an invite to CUSA

sports1

From what I am hearing Houston may be asked to join the Big 12 (with the aTm departure) sooner rather than later because I don't think BYU will want to give up their independence. If so UNT, LA Tech, or Texas State might get an invite to CUSA.

Edited by sports1
  • Upvote 1

Your source another fan message board?

Not sure yet if I'd want to leave the belt for a broken CUSA. I'd have to know the details but I'm pretty comfortable with where the belt is headed.

Eric Schad from ESPN said in an interview that UH would probably be first choice by the Big 12 to join them due to a similiar market share.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

From what I am hearing Houston may be asked to join the Big 12 (with the aTm departure) sooner rather than later because I don't think BYU will want to give up their independence. If so UNT, LA Tech, or Texas State might get an invite to CUSA.

I think BYU would gladly give up their independence, if it meant inclusion into a BCS conference. Plus it would be hard for the Big 12 to tell them they can't broadcast their games on the BYU Network, when Texas has the Longhorn Network. The only thing I can see as a problem for BYU, is the fact they don't play on Sundays.

Also, why would the Big 12 invite Houston, when they could grab TCU. I'd think TCU would rather be in the Big 12 over the Big East.

These rumors just don't add up for me. I think the Big 12 will stay at 9, until another program (OU) leaves. After that, I think they would probably expand, but it could be 3 to 5 years before that happens.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

What's not to get. If the SEC goes to 16 they get to rebid their tv contracts. If ESPN is willing to pay $30 million for just Texas what do you think SEC in expanded markets like Houston and St. Louis with nationally recognized Florida State would be worth?

The Big 12 wasn't looking at markets they were already in (Houston & DFW) but that was before the Long Horn Network and the possibility of losing A&M and Mizzou to the SEC.

The real question is not if Houston get's into the Big 12 and does a spot open up in CUSA. The question is will there be a CUSA after the Big 12, ACC, and Big East finish their raids?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The real question here is whether Houston is viewed as a band aid or a permanent fix. I can't imagine many other ADs in the remaining Big 12 thinking a trade of A&M for Houston is a great deal.

I mean, if the "Houston market" was such a great thing, why isn't Houston a long-time national power? My guess is there are more fútbol fans in Houston than football fans, given the numbers of internationally born people in that city.

This "Houston Solution" may be a desperate, backdoor bid by Texas to keep the conference together. Although, I still say it blows apart.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

You clearly know absolutely nothing about Houston.

I mean, if the "Houston market" was such a great thing, why isn't Houston a long-time national power? My guess is there are more fútbol fans in Houston than football fans, given the numbers of internationally born people in that city.

This "Houston Solution" may be a desperate, backdoor bid by Texas to keep the conference together. Although, I still say it blows apart.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

The real question here is whether Houston is viewed as a band aid or a permanent fix. I can't imagine many other ADs in the remaining Big 12 thinking a trade of A&M for Houston is a great deal.

Of course it's not the optimal solution. The optimal solution would have been the big 12 being the aggressor a while back to get to 16. Everyone knew and knows that's where this thing is going.

The big 12 had the opportunity to add Houston and TCU last year to make 14. They had the opportunity to tell texas no LHN, but we are starting Big12 network talks with espn. The Big 12 conference has some poor leadership now and in the past, but they still understand that if they don't get teams to sign on to an already established autobid conference, then it will cease to exist all together.

SEC will have 16 killer teams and their autobid will be worth just as much as the future Big 12 and Big East. Yea, they'll make more $$$ from a tv contract perspective, but if you are worried about competing for the chance to play in a BCS bowl, TCU has an equal or better chance than Florida of being in one. Getting Texas A&M out of the Big 12 sure improves everyone elses autobid chances in the Big 12.

Whatever happens, I love following this stuff. It's like a soap opera for guys.

Edited by MeanMag
  • Upvote 2

Of course it's not the optimal solution. The optimal solution would have been the big 12 being the aggressor a while back to get to 16. Everyone knew and knows that's where this thing is going.

The big 12 had the opportunity to add Houston and TCU last year to make 14. They had the opportunity to tell texas no LHN, but we are starting Big12 network talks with espn. The Big 12 conference has some poor leadership now and in the past, but they still understand that if they don't get teams to sign on to an already established autobid conference, then it will cease to exist all together.

SEC will have 16 killer teams and their autobid will be worth just as much as the future Big 12 and Big East. Yea, they'll make more $$$ from a tv contract perspective, but if you are worried about competing for the chance to play in a BCS bowl, TCU has an equal or better chance than Florida of being in one. Getting Texas A&M out of the Big 12 sure improves everyone elses autobid chances in the Big 12.

Whatever happens, I love following this stuff. It's like a soap opera for guys.

All getting rid of A&M does is make it easier for OU to win more titles, as if they needed any help.

My point is, Houston is not a college football town. And, from the 2010 Census numbers, it doesn't look to be in the future: http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/48/48201.html

It's now about 50% black and non-hispanic white and 50% hispanic, asian, and other.

One in four people in Houston are foreign born.

Just over 40% of Houston households speak a language other than English at home.

Like I said, fútbol's popularity in Houston is more likely to increase than Houston Cougar football. Unless Houston is broadcasting in Spanish and marketing to that group.

It's just facts. And, those demographic facts are just icing on top of the fact that Houston's athletic department is nowhere near what A&M's is. It's a bad trade off that I have a hard time believing other Big 12 ADs with really be excited about...especially if they are entertaining other offers themselves.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

All getting rid of A&M does is make it easier for OU to win more titles, as if they needed any help.

My point is, Houston is not a college football town. And, from the 2010 Census numbers, it doesn't look to be in the future: http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/48/48201.html

It's now about 50% black and non-hispanic white and 50% hispanic, asian, and other.

Just over 40% of Houston households speak a language other than English at home.

Like I said, fútbol's popularity in Houston is more likely to increase than Houston Cougar football. Unless Houston is broadcasting in Spanish and marketing to that group.

It's just facts. And, those demographic facts are just icing on top of the fact that Houston's athletic department is nowhere near what A&M's is. It's a bad trade off that I have a hard time believing other Big 12 ADs with really be excited about...especially if they are entertaining other offers themselves.

It certainly is a terrible trade-off. I'm not saying it isn't, but who else is a good trade for A&M?

If the other teams in the Big 12 are looking for an easier autobid, it just got easier.

Also, Houston doesn't even support their local futbol team either. The Dynamo has the worst, if not, one of the worst attendance numbers in the MLS. Find me something that Houston does support outside of amateur competitive eating.

• Upvote 2

It certainly is a terrible trade-off. I'm not saying it isn't, but who else is a good trade for A&M?

If the other teams in the Big 12 are looking for an easier autobid, it just got easier.

Also, Houston doesn't even support their local futbol team either. The Dynamo has the worst, if not, one of the worst attendance numbers in the MLS. Find me something that Houston does support outside of amateur competitive eating.

Good point!

• Upvote 1

My point is, Houston is not a college football town. And, from the 2010 Census numbers, it doesn't look to be in the future: http://quickfacts.ce...s/48/48201.html

Not really supporting U of H's admittance, because I''ve witnessed the apathy first hand by sitting through many Cougar games (when they were consistently good) in The Astrodome surrounded by maybe 10,000 people, but Dallas County's demographics are very similar to Harris County's. The Texans are supported well for never having done anything, and the Cougar support has been MUCH better since they moved to Robertson. I think they would do well in the Big 12, but I personally think we would be a better choice. :)

http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/48/48113.html

• Upvote 1

No one that is not already in a non-AQ conference is better qualified. They are only a few miles removed from the Big 12 footprint whereas Brigham Young is 700 or more from the closest member. BYU won't play on Sundays. They're a private school, but then again so is Baylor; still, all others are state. BYU wouldn't be a bad choice but neither would Houston. I believe that Houston's biggest drawback is their stadium (and their attendance) but their attendance was around 30,000 last year and being in the Big 12 would up their average 5-10,000. There are stadiums nearby to hold the crowds that Texas and Oklahoma would generate. They also have plans on the board for a 50.000 seat stadium. They have been competitive in football and the additional allure of the Big 12 would enhance their ability to recruit better athletes even more. Houston is the third largest university in Texas and in the top third of American universities. They are in the 10th largest market. No one available will be able to top A&M's numbers so don't compare them (or anyone else) to the Aggies.

However, I don't see the urgency for adding Houston without increasing the total back to 12. Twelve members give you a championship game and reduced travel costs as well as a lot more bodies and money interested in Big 12 football.

TCU would have been the no-brainer addition had they not bolted for a non-AQ berth with the Big East. That could come back to bite them if the SEC goes to 16 teams. The Big 10 and the ACC would likely be able to take any teams that they wanted from the BE, especially their base of Rutgers, Syracuse, Pitt, and West Virginia, which would hurt the most.

The only other FBS teams within the current footprint are SMU, Tulsa and North Texas. Like it or not, the future of the conference lies with those five UNLESS some of the current members are able to join other AQ conferences.

We are not really ready for an AQ conference yet and CUSA would be better than the SBC even with several current USAers possibly going to the ACC or Big East.

• Upvote 1