Big 12-2/Minus 2 Conference done...how do we benefit

As for TFLF's ongoing rant and the implosion of the Big 12-2....how have so many in this thread overlooked LongJim's post about UT, ND, OU, Miami, etc joining up and expounded on that scenario?? To me, that has the look of the creation of the first-ever NATIONAL conference.

I have address it. I've asked what school or conference, now that the Longhorn Network/ESPN contract details are public known, in their right mind would agree to either take in or partner up with Texas.

Sure, there could be a four or five team conference of Texas, Notre Dame, BYU, OU, or Miami. But, it's fantasy to think that OU, who is already complaining about the Longhorn Network, would jump into a league where three schools have their own contracts.

Again, this leads to another question I've already asked - the one defensive Texas fans are using: Don't hate...get your own network! We've already decided that's stupid because it would lead college football down the road of boxing - everything pay-per-view.

If just a few schools - Notre Dame, Texas, BYU, and maybe OU - want to slit their own throats going to pay-per-view, that's cool. But, don't expect schools whose athletic directors have brains in their heads to follow suit.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

It'll be interesting to see the fallout from this. The holdouts (Big East, MWC, Sun Belt) will probably have their hands forced, and even conferences that are currently 'set' will be affected. I'm for anything that betters our position, whether it's opening up a spot for us in the MWC, or OU and Oklahoma State joining the Sun Belt. :lol:

After reading that article, I figured that the President, BOR, and AD at Missouri better be doing everything possible to put themselves in position to get that 14th SEC spot. They're not a candidate for PAC 12 expansion in the west and the neighboring Big 10 continues to overlook them to eye Texas, Notre Dame, and eastern schools.

I wouldn't be surprised if Missouri jumps at the earliest opportunity to protect it's own interest much like Nebraska and Colorado did last year.

As for TFLF's ongoing rant and the implosion of the Big 12-2....how have so many in this thread overlooked LongJim's post about UT, ND, OU, Miami, etc joining up and expounded on that scenario?? To me, that has the look of the creation of the first-ever NATIONAL conference---or, possibly yet another split similar to the creation of D-IAA. Texas is a sinister MFer of a school. I don't trust a damn thing they do....but letting A&M throw a public nit-fit while bolting for the SEC seems like a brilliant move if their ULTIMATE goal is align themselves into a NATIONAL conference. If Texas were to align with Notre Dame, Oklahoma, and Miami, you are talking about the absolute top level programs in the nation. I don't know what it would take to lure programs like USC, Michigan, Ohio St, Florida, etc into the fold...but now you're talking about a level of school that could legitimately represent an entire region/state and as far as ESPN's involvement, legitimately anchor a regional tv channel/network.

Heard the same rumor but I heard that the Dallas Cowboys and the Steelers were joining as well.

I have no doubt that Texas has alternative plans, whether they be independent or Big 10 or Pac10 or whatever (maybe the Big 12 adds UH and Texas State so they can play Fran again) but . . .

Do you really think the elite teams would be lining up to join forces with a school that has chased off Arkansas, Nebraska, Colorado, and Texas A&M? There would be a credibility / stability issue like none other. And frankly, what would Alabama and Florida get out of that? They play elite teams most every week anyway. Michigan is so entrenched in the Big 10 it is not even funny.

Yeah, Texas stands a lot to gain from this, but the others gain what? A chance to say they can hang out with Texas?

A National conference is the last concern I have right now. The 16 team WAC that stretched from Florida to Hawaii or whatever it did was an epic failure. While the teams in your post may be more elite it would fail for the same reasons - - difficult road game travel for fans, excessive non-revenue sports cost (imagaine flying the USC volleyball two times zones out every week and get back to me), and lack of natural rivalries.

This idea was conjured up in fun at shaggybevo and people are running with it. It makes no sense whatsoever.

• Upvote 1

"According to multiple sources close to the situation, Aggies’ president Bowen Loftin met with SEC officials prior to an Aug. 1 meeting among Big 12 athletic directors in Dallas to discuss how to co-exist with Texas and its Longhorn Network (LHN).

Loftin apparently aired A&M’s grievances against LHN to SEC officials during the meeting. (aTm "spokesman")Cook said he wasn’t aware of any such meeting.“ I think this is pretty far along,” one administrator at a Big 12 school said of A&M’s courtship with the SEC.

One of A&M’s concerns - LHN airing high school games - was eliminated on Thursday when the NCAA ruled no high school games would be allowed to be shown on school or conference networks.

But it didn’t appear the NCAA’s ruling would have much bearing on A&M’s momentum toward the SEC, sources said...

...Upon learning of Loftin’s alleged meeting with SEC officials before huddling with Big 12 ADs on Aug. 1, one official at a Big 12 school questioned the Aggies and their Code of Honor, which states, “An Aggie does not lie, cheat or steal, or tolerate those who do.”

The source said Texas A&M made a 10-year pledge to hold the Big 12 Conference together when ABC/ESPN vowed a year ago to keep paying the Big 12 as if it was still a 12-member league with a championship game. The source also questioned if A&M might be liable for breach of contract after signing a 13-year, $1.17 billion TV contract with Fox Sports for the Big 12’s second-tier rights to football in April...

...Sources said Thursday the SEC would be interested in adding Oklahoma and Oklahoma State and Virginia Tech in addition to Texas A&M to form a 16-team super conference. Florida State has also been mentioned as a possible target of the SEC, according to Big 12 sources.

Two officials at separate Big 12 schools said Oklahoma and Oklahoma State would stay in the Big 12 as long as the other schools were willing to stay together. A third official in the Big 12 said the remaining nine schools were “solid.”

...A high-ranking official at a Big 12 school said the Pac-12 could re-enter the picture if Texas A&M leaves for the SEC. The official said Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott has indicated he would love to set up regional networks in Oklahoma and Texas to accommodate Oklahoma and Oklahoma State, as well as Texas and Texas Tech.

Edited by LongJim

I get the SEC love but the Aggies can win in the SEC just like anybody else. They are too big with too much money and resources for them not to be great no matter what conference they are in. They are just going through a tough period but i think they're starting to get out of it.

A & M athletics had to "borrow" $16,000,000 to pay back the University for a loan. Doesn't sound like they are flush with cash.

Loan

Edited by DeepGreen

"According to multiple sources close to the situation, Aggies’ president Bowen Loftin met with SEC officials prior to an Aug. 1 meeting among Big 12 athletic directors in Dallas to discuss how to co-exist with Texas and its Longhorn Network (LHN).

Loftin apparently aired A&M’s grievances against LHN to SEC officials during the meeting. (aTm "spokesman")Cook said he wasn’t aware of any such meeting.“ I think this is pretty far along,” one administrator at a Big 12 school said of A&M’s courtship with the SEC.

One of A&M’s concerns - LHN airing high school games - was eliminated on Thursday when the NCAA ruled no high school games would be allowed to be shown on school or conference networks.

But it didn’t appear the NCAA’s ruling would have much bearing on A&M’s momentum toward the SEC, sources said...

...Upon learning of Loftin’s alleged meeting with SEC officials before huddling with Big 12 ADs on Aug. 1, one official at a Big 12 school questioned the Aggies and their Code of Honor, which states, “An Aggie does not lie, cheat or steal, or tolerate those who do.”

The source said Texas A&M made a 10-year pledge to hold the Big 12 Conference together when ABC/ESPN vowed a year ago to keep paying the Big 12 as if it was still a 12-member league with a championship game. The source also questioned if A&M might be liable for breach of contract after signing a 13-year, $1.17 billion TV contract with Fox Sports for the Big 12’s second-tier rights to football in April...

...Sources said Thursday the SEC would be interested in adding Oklahoma and Oklahoma State and Virginia Tech in addition to Texas A&M to form a 16-team super conference. Florida State has also been mentioned as a possible target of the SEC, according to Big 12 sources.

Two officials at separate Big 12 schools said Oklahoma and Oklahoma State would stay in the Big 12 as long as the other schools were willing to stay together. A third official in the Big 12 said the remaining nine schools were “solid.”

...A high-ranking official at a Big 12 school said the Pac-12 could re-enter the picture if Texas A&M leaves for the SEC. The official said Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott has indicated he would love to set up regional networks in Oklahoma and Texas to accommodate Oklahoma and Oklahoma State, as well as Texas and Texas Tech.

This is Chip Brown's report. So stupid. We all know you shill for UT, Chip. Go ahead and attribute your quote to DeLoss, Mack, or whichever of the UT thieves let you off your knees long enough to type this time.

None of the other Big 12 school are going to throw A&M under the bus. A&M is liberating them from Texas, their Longhorn Network, and whatever other screw job DeLoss can concoct in the future.

Texas should really just give up and try to form a conference of all the nutslap schools who think the average college football fan really gives a crap about them. This is a small group, pretty much confined to Texas, Notre Dame, BYU, and Miami.

There it is. A four team conference for the most delusional fans in the history of college athletics. Altogether in one place, far enough away from the rest of the group to ignore for the sake of peace.

What I've been reading recently is that if A&M leaves, they might be replaced with Houston. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me outside of putting a Big 12 team in A&M's backyard. Houston's facilities are awful and they haven't been too consistent in football or basketball, although they've had blips in both.

Seems like the smarter choice would be BYU, but I guess we'll see what plays out. If Houston does go to the B12, maybe that would open a spot for us in CUSA.

Texas A&M moved their Board of Regents meeting up from Aug 22nd to Aug 15th (monday)... The SEC is meeting on Sunday... looks like this is really happening

Yeah, and I don't understand it all but there's also something about the timing of this BOR meeting and 72 hours? Does anyone know what that's all about?

By the way, there's currently 9,000 people logged onto TexAgs.com. That's a lot of work not getting done today?

Rick

• Upvote 1

Yeah, and I don't understand it all but there's also something about the timing of this BOR meeting and 72 hours? Does anyone know what that's all about?

By the way, there's currently 9,000 people logged onto TexAgs.com. That's a lot of work not getting done today?

Rick

---That Longhorn Network is "spooking" a lot of Big-XII teams because of the money and the perceived recruiting advantage... Might happen.

Rick

yeah... it was down for like 20 minutes... my aggie friend was freaking out

The Ags are trying to meet and vote before the Leg can meet. Get it and go.

I wish the Ags well in the SEC. Looks like it's going to happen.

Texas A&M moved their Board of Regents meeting up from Aug 22nd to Aug 15th (monday)... The SEC is meeting on Sunday... looks like this is really happening

Yes, we all know it is happening. Only Chip Brown and the Defend Texas Faction have been in denial. Although, now that the writing is on the wall, Chip is making up quotes to try to make Aggie look like the bad guy. Pathetic.

I guess one of my main questions is: if the Longhorn has such little regard/use for Aggie, why would they care if Aggie left them?

The answer is that Longhorn knows if Aggie goes, Sooner may also go, and that would leave them with a big bag of nothing. With Aggie and Sooner gone, Longhorn is like Fighting Irish - pretending that the average college fan sees them as relevant.

Football is more than money. Money makes some things easier. But, being showered with money by being in the "right" conferences hasn't helped Baylor, Indiana, Vandy, or other schools become regularly competitive. Money couldn't save Texas from going 5-7 last year.

As absurd as the Longhorn money grab last summer was, the attempt to go even further by controlling high school football and conference game broadcasts was an overreach of stunning stupidity. And, yet, they and ESPN risked it anyway.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

How does this all effect UNT?

Its bad timing for one. If A&M jumps to the SEC, and the Big 12 adds Houston as ESPN is speculating then the arms race is on between UNT and LA Tech for a spot in CUSA.

And while we have momentum of a new coach and the new stadium, are we ready for the capital campaign that would be required to get UNT into CUSA? Are we ready to fan up and buy EXTRA season tickets for football, basketball, and women's basketball?

What I've been reading recently is that if A&M leaves, they might be replaced with Houston. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me outside of putting a Big 12 team in A&M's backyard. Houston's facilities are awful and they haven't been too consistent in football or basketball, although they've had blips in both.

Seems like the smarter choice would be BYU, but I guess we'll see what plays out. If Houston does go to the B12, maybe that would open a spot for us in CUSA.

Sad that the Big 12 would take the Houston program in trade for A&M. This is probably the reason Oklahoma, Kansas, and Missouri look elsewhere. Texas Tech sounds shaky, too, already rebuffing the Texas offer to broadcast its games.

Also, the reality is Houston's athletic profile is nowhere near A&M's. Aggie has won three NCAA track championships in a row, the women's basektball title, they do well in basketball and baseball as well these days. To compare that to what Houston offers...silly.

If Aggie leaves, I think the Big 12 staying together is a big stretch.

• Upvote 1