How Will Mean Green Do vs FIU ?

MeanGreen61

Opening Vegas line has the Mean Green at minus 14. Vito sez, as he predicted, UNT is a "huge" underdog in the season opener. I beleive that UNT will beat the spread and actually has a chance to deliver a surprise to pundits. What do you think ?

Edited by MeanGreen61
  • Upvote 2

Opening Vegas line has the Mean Green at minus 14. Vito sez, as he predicted, UNT is a "huge" underdog in the season opener. I beleive that UNT will beat the spread and actually has a chance to deliver a surprise to pundits. What do you think ?

If FIU's dine comes together and stops Lance we are in big trouble. If they can't stop him watch out this could get really interesting. Our defense gave up way too many easy scores last year and FIU embarrassed us. I believe FIU has a 4 game winning streak against us so a win against them on the road this season as they were picked to win the conference would be a HUGE game changer for this program.

Objectively speaking, I think you have to pick FIU to win. They're bringing back a lot of the talent that helped them win the Belt and their bowl game, and with the recruiting they've had the past few years, they ought to be able to plug their holes pretty well (no Quonerisms, please). We do have a number of unknowns/variables which could go our way, but they could potentially go against us as well. That's objectively speaking. But the homer in me sure thinks we can win it.

• Upvote 3

When Vito talks about the FIU game he makes it seem like we're playing Florida State. It's like we have no chance and are better off just praying for mercy from the all mighty Golden Panthers.

I don't get it...

Two things that will be drastically different. We will have a real D1 quarterback under center...and we probably won't run the bubble screen or option out of the endzone.

• Downvote 1

From an objective point of view, Vegas has it right. Based upon recent history, FIU should beat us by 14 or more points at home.

A lot of people who follow the program here and this fan base see what is happening. This program is undergoing a severe culture change and there are a zillion positive things happening every day to improve this football team. The leadership (coaching) of this program is in an entire different stratosphere than what's been around here in recent years. However it's a process, a marathon not a sprint. How quickly it translates to the field remains to be seen.

Is it going to take us from bottom tier of the league to able to go steal a win from a top two program in the conference the first week? Who knows ( but I will go on record saying this will be a 9 win team in 2013).

The only people who would think that are biased fans, but here are plenty of positives. I firmly believe that there is not a whole lot separating the parity in this conference from top to bottom. Canales' led team in the back end of 2010 proved that. Two, I believe this QB has the legitimate ability to vertically threaten a defense, and we all know people are going to load up to stop #5. And finally, we can all trust the on field decisions and adjustments made by this staff. They've been there done it, over and over again. I believe close games are won by coaching and a little luck. We've has neither for a while, thus losing numerous close games.

I can't fault Vegas for this, and they are usually pretty good at this stuff, but they could certainly be wrong in this case.

• Upvote 1

This. There is not a team in this conference that we cannot beat.

Just remember (you esp Brett) that FIU was 3-9 in 2009 (VERY close to 2-10) and came back in 2010 to win the championship (IN JUST 1 YR). Anyone who thinks they reside at the top of the Sunbelt is full of it.

This is anyone's league and don't let any naysayers tell you otherwise.

If Cristobal can come in and change the entire FIU outlook and in 1 yr change them from a 3-10 team to a conference champion and bowl winner.....DOES ANYONE think that DMac isn't capable of doing the same? Hell....our OC and DC could both engineer that type of success....

Just remember (you esp Brett) that FIU was 3-9 in 2009 (VERY close to 2-10) and came back in 2010 to win the championship (IN JUST 1 YR). Anyone who thinks they reside at the top of the Sunbelt is full of it.

This is anyone's league and don't let any naysayers tell you otherwise.

If Cristobal can come in and change the entire FIU outlook and in 1 yr change them from a 3-10 team to a conference champion and bowl winner.....DOES ANYONE think that DMac isn't capable of doing the same? Hell....our OC and DC could both engineer that type of success....

Well . . . I see what you're saying, but in all fairness, FIU 2010 isn't really parallel to UNT 2011. Mario Cristobal had been building up FIU for several years. And the poor record in 2009 was a step down from 5 wins in '08--you might say they picked up in '10 where they left off at the end of '08.

I'm not really disputing your points that it is anyone's league or that a significant 1-year turnaround is possible; I'm just not sure if the two teams' situations are parallel.

• Upvote 1

Well . . . I see what you're saying, but in all fairness, FIU 2010 isn't really parallel to UNT 2011. Mario Cristobal had been building up FIU for several years. And the poor record in 2009 was a step down from 5 wins in '08--you might say they picked up in '10 where they left off at the end of '08.

I'm not really disputing your points that it is anyone's league or that a significant 1-year turnaround is possible; I'm just not sure if the two teams' situations are parallel.

Then my rebuttal would be....what two teams situations truly ever parallel one another? FIUs size is often mentioned...but compare the two rosters now.

I will be surprised if NT doesn't surprise FIU and the Belt in the first game. May not win, but will serve notice that this is not the ole NT.

People seem to forget that Canales is the OC and I expect a much more varied offense that just DD style run based offense. Canales will definitely provide a steady dose of Dunbar, but remember his offense is not encumbered by a poor throwing injured QB. Dunbar will get his 25 carries a game but I look for a much more aggressive offense than many predict. People believe McCarney prefers a run dominated offense but his reputation is that he gives the offensive coordinator a lot of freedom in the planning and running of the offense. I think the offense will be a lot closer to Dodge than Dickey.

• Upvote 1