Fouts Memories

untjim1995

I'll get it started. My fandom started in my freshman year of 1991, so I missed the famous 1990 SMU game.

Best: Watching UNT pound Baylor in front of a full house in 2003, 52-14. This game served notice to the local folks that we had a really good team, since we demolished one of the sainted-SWC teams. If only the momentum from this game would have lasted. This may have been Dickey's high point at UNT, along with the win over Cincinatti in the NO Bowl.

Worst: Watching UNT beat Nicholls State on a Saturday night in 1992 in front of a cool 500 people, including the band. It was a terrible opponnent in a terrible conference in a division of play that we had no business playing at for so long. I always thought that this game was proof of what poor leadership from the university and city had given to us. It was so empty that you could hear the Cajun accents of the coaches for Nicholls State without any problem.

Click here to view the article

• Downvote 1

Best: Baylor game in 2003 and MTSU game in 01. I will also have to add in the 02 NMSU game. As a kid, the Florida State game in 76.

Worst: The NMSU game in 00, I think. Nobody showed up, well except me and maybe another 150 or so folks.

The worst game I have experienced in person was the Rice game at Rice in 08. I've never, ever seen a more lifeless North Texas team take the field and considered leaving early which is something I've never done. Total embarrasment.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 1

I came to UNT in 2006....

Best: KSU in 2010. Incredible performance by Dunbar and the last time I would ever have to set foot in that dump (minus the GMG bowl) made it a great game!

Worst: Every other game I went to Fouts. I never witnessed a home W in the games I went to.

• Upvote 1

The NMSU game was 2000. We pulled it off and not one person showed.

Its a tie for my favorite: 1. Beating NM State for the conference championship in 2002. It was a hard fought game and we came back from a half time deficit. 2. Being 0-5 and beating the 5-0 Muts (who ended 8-3 and didnt get a bowl). What a great day.

Worst Loss: Idaho in 2000. They were terrible and I really feel we should have beat them, or loss to USF - Ja'Mel Branch just stepped out of bound in the 4th on what would have been the game winner. we would have finished 8-3, 9-2 if we didnt get screwed in Arizona.

• Upvote 1

Best:

Coming from behind to beat Oregon State 30-27 in 1995. Down by 2 TDs entering the 4th quarter and Mills goes for the TD pass at the end of the game with the prettiest fade you will ever see. Half the stadium left at the end of the 3rd quarter but it was a sweet ending for those that stayed.

Worst:

Losing to a provisional 1A UAB 19-14 in 1995. Everyone expected a win and we just laid an egg. I remember UAB dancing on the field after the game. Embarrasing to say the least. The following week, Troy hammered them 60-7

• Upvote 1

Best..beating Tulsa in '67 for conference championship with a full Fouts Field.

Worst: 1994 ( I think ) NT vs. Vanderbilt...no one wanted to even play football that day..we lost barely....people were pouring out of the stands at halftime.

• Upvote 1

Best: The Navy game. Yeah, we lost but it was an amazing game. Add in the flyover ... the Navy fans ... my wife attending her first NT game ... it had everything except for the win.

Worst: It was a game from the Dennis Parker error (era). It may have been a homecoming game. With just a few seconds left in the game we tie it up. Suppose we were to try an onsides kick. We would only have time for maybe one play try to move 30 yards into field goal range while if the opponent recovered they would almost be in field goal range already. Certainly anyone with a brain could realize that trying an onside kick at this point would be a horrible decision.

Oh ... wait ... Dennis Parker is the head coach. Sure enough, onside kick ... opponent recovers ... one play later they kick the game winning field goal. After the game the players should have hoisted Dennis Parker onto their shoulders, carried him up the bleachers, and thrown him over the top rail.

Edited by NorthTexan95
  • Upvote 1

Best: Several, but the nod goes to the 2002 NMSU win. The atmosphere in Fouts was ELECTRIC!

Worst: The night we had high expectations, scored first, then took it in the shorts from Tulsa. A major humiliation.

• Upvote 2

Best: Utah State 1997 Ridiculous back and forth game. I believe in the final four minutes there were 5 lead changes. We won at the final gun on a Jason Mills TD pass. Only a couple thousand at the game, but definitely the most exciting game I ever saw in Fouts.

Worst: Idaho 2000 Already mentioned in the thread. It was a game that it felt like we won on more than one occassion, including getting a 4th down stop deep in their end with just a few minutes remaining. The Vandals used the timeouts and got the ball back without much time to go at all (like under 45 seconds?). Still they needed to about 50-60 yards to get into FG range. So they proceed to complete something like a 70 yard pass down inside our 5 yard line and kicked the winning FG at the buzzer.

• Upvote 2

Best: The Navy game. Yeah, we lost but it was an amazing game. Add in the flyover ... the Navy fans ... my wife attending her first NT game ... it had everything except for the win.

Worst: It was a game from the Dennis Parker error (era). It may have been a homecoming game. With just a few seconds left in the game we tie it up. Suppose we were to try an onsides kick. We would only have time for maybe one play try to move 30 yards into field goal range while if the opponent recovered they would almost be in field goal range already. Certainly anyone with a brain could realize that trying an onside kick at this point would be a horrible decision.

Oh ... wait ... Dennis Parker is the head coach. Sure enough, onside kick ... opponent recovers ... one play later they kick the game winning field goal. After the game the players should have hoisted Dennis Parker onto their shoulders, carried him up the bleachers, and thrown him over the top rail.

I considered this Northwestern State Homecoming game, but we had a decent crwod that night because it was homecoming. Winning or losing in front of hundreds of people seems more embarrassing, although the Tulsa 54-2 butt-kicking in front of a full house was really embarrssing, too. All are top candidates for sure.

• Upvote 1

Best Game- 2006, 24-6 win over smu. Maybe our biggest win in the series. Their team was really awful.

Worst Game- 2005, 54-2 lose to Tulsa. That games was the start of our long painful downturn we are still trying to correct.

Worst Coached Game- 2009, 17-13 lose to Army. Up 13-10 on the Army 16 yard line, Dodge called two timeouts in a row. Knott's low field goal attempt gets blocked. Steelman's 55 yard run puts Army on the North Texas 7 yard line. Two plays latter Army takes the lead with a touchdown. On the second play of our last drive R. Dodge throws an INT, icing the game.

It was very sad night.

ai don't know when Dodge lost the confidence of his players, but looking back, that might have been the night he lost mine. I continued to support our team and him as our coach, but felt we needed to move in a new direction.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

Best: Well, I guess it was a tie. Unfortunately, I missed the Baylor game (was working but did follow on the laptop in my hotel room). So, that probably would have been it. Might have been the Cincy bowl game BUT, and again, was working but did watch the game on TV. So, THAT was not it either.

In the end, the best game is a tie between Navy (yes, totally agree, the fly-over was AWESOME!)...Oregon State (saw that game from the press box while eating Colter's BBQ)...and Nicholls State in '02 (Booger was a BEAST in this game...I really felt so bad for the Nicholls State QB and anyone TRYING to block him)

Worst: BY FAR the worst NT game I ever saw in person was the 2010 Army game. I have posted about this before...but we gave up before we ever really tried in that game. The players had their heads hanging BEFORE the game! And then Derek got hurt...made me want to throw up really. I spoke with Derek's dad before the game...what a nice man and a great family...

Also, the FAU game (infamous black jerseys) just blowed. Shameful...

• Upvote 1

Best game: 2006 FIU probably the most drama filled game since I started at UNT in 2004. (I almost left 3 times, but in the end was so happy that I stayed)

Worst game: 2006 FIU as it was the sloppiest display of football by two teams at the same time... watching the both teams repeatedly blow chances to win games is not as fun as it sounds... (Jamarrio Thomas losing 8 yards in 3 plays in the first OT is forever etched in muh brain)

seriously though the best game was probably the Navy game... that was fun because of the big crowd the flyover and the thousand points scored...

worst game it's hard to pick out a single game when all the late game losses seem to just run together into one big blur, but as of late... the loss against Ohio two years ago was so depressing, as the program yet again could not capitalize on any momentum and I realized the TD era was slowly coming to a close

• Upvote 1

Ill go recent since I transfered to UNT Spring 09

Best: 2009 Wku, because its the only win ive seen at fouts

Worst: Gotta say HC against FIU and Ohio 09. FIU just sucked, had our 4th string qb starting and held dunbar to 34 yrd or something, the only game I left at half. Then Ohio also known as the rain game, great game but sucks because Outlaw dropped two passes in the endzone that could of won the game, and we were in the pouring rain for 3 hrs

• Upvote 1