Mizzou Job

KoldBeer

First the job isn't officially open yet, but ESPN Insider has an early list of possible replacements for Mike Anderson. Johnny Jones is on the list (5 guys). I haven't heard is name coming from the KC or Missouri press.

Here's what the ESPN story had to say about Jones.

Johnny Jones of North Texas has been able to raise the profile of the UNT program; it might be a bit of a leap from Sun Belt to the Big 12 but Jones has been able to thoroughly recruit the state of Texas.

• Upvote 1

I seriously don't see JJ moving on until this years crop of recruits have been at UNT for 2 yrs. JJ's negotiating position for Salary and Benefits at that point will be much better than at this Time. Who knows...JJ and his wife are the only ones. That's why I've been urging RV to renegotiate JJ package at UNT now. RV said he'd get it done, but we haven't seen anything yet. When it was time to fire Dodge and hire a new FB staff RV, Rawlins, and the BOR were all about the money!!! Maybe JJ should work on this relationship with UNT's outside athletic consultant. JJ might want to think about changing agents and signing with UNT's current consulting firm. That might grease the wheels with the higher up's at UNT!!! :thumbsu:

Way to big of a leap? I disagree. If JJ were 35 years old, and has worked his way up the ladder from say Div. II to a Div. 1 program, then this would be a big leap. But he is not a flash in the pan, and being closer to 50 than 25, maturity would not be an issue. The fact he coached for Dale Brown, even with the recruiting issues, does carry some weight. Don't know much about Missouri, but I bet he could recruit pretty well in the inner cities of St. Louis and Kansas City. Surely he would be better than that drill instructor at Kansas State. Kansas is going to get their guys, so he would be fighting for the ones they pass up.

Going from the Sun Belt to the Big 12 in football, is a big leap. He has also been a player , assistant coach (won a national championship), and an interim head coach in programs similar in size to that of Mizzou. It is basketball, and there is not near the difference in the size of organization he would be managing if it were football and making this move. Not saying he does have a great chance, but I think it is possible that he might at least get a formal interview.

Edited by Green Dozer
  • Downvote 1

I could see JJ heading to Missouri, but not Columbia, rather to Springfield and the now open Missouri State position. No football so basketball is king and they play in a very good conference.

Missouri State is a good position, but I don't see him leaving this (plus this) for this (minus whomever transfers out).

I could see JJ heading to Missouri, but not Columbia, rather to Springfield and the now open Missouri State position. No football so basketball is king and they play in a very good conference.

I'd be surprised if they could afford to pay enough more than us to justify a move. Especially with the talent we have heading our way.

http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2011/mar/28/cuonzo-martins-base-salary-missouri-state-was-1400/