Riley Doesn't Appreciate Being Called A Quitter

Keith7

Non-scholly middle of nowhere Sul Ross, to full scholly DFW area D1 North Texas is quite an understandable career advancement. Somehow I suspect Case would have had trouble playing on the next level coming out of Alpine. Not really in the "quitter calling" camp as far as Riley is concerned, but why would Riley want to drop a level to McNeese if he loved it so much in Denton, and when he supposedly was told that he would have as good a shot as anyone at being our starting QB next season? Doesn't make a lot of sense unless he lacks confidence in his abilities, or his multiple quotes in regard to his happiness in Denton were simply untrue. Either way, I hope he does well and stays healthy in Lake Charles. Somehow, I think we'll get by just fine without him.

What is the kid supposed to say midseason when his Dad is fired? Tell everyone you are out at the end of the year? No. I guess he could have used the old "I'm just concentrating on the remaining games of this season before I think about next year" quote, but that is basically saying you are out of town at the end of the season.

For those of you that thought he would stay here after his dad was let go (really the only reason he came to UNT), weren't you just a little naive? The moment Dad was fired, Riley knew he wouldn't be back, but he also knew he had a team to lead. The kid did what he should have done under those circumstances.

This should be a dead subject, as he is now a McNeese Cowboy and will not graduate from UNT. Why don't we all just move on without calling him a quitter?

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 2

You are all right, we should praise Riley endlessly for quitting choosing not to continue his commitment here at UNT. Maybe we can erect a statue on campus commemorating the 2 years he gave his all for us. We can call it the "2 Out Of 4 Ain't Bad Statue."

I like Riley, I really appreciate what he did at UNT, but that doesn't change the facts. I am not and never did call his moral character in question, nor am I saying it is or isn't the best thing for him. I have no idea and don't claim to know. He is free to do what he feels is best for him. However, he did quit in the middle right? Don't chastize people who won't bow down and worship him for quitting choosing not to continue his commitment here at UNT.

I like all those other guys you listed out that came to UNT. Of course I want people to quit and come to UNT. However, 99.9% of them were moving UP or got zero playing time and were going somewhere else to get a chance to play. But they were still quitting in the middle and everyone at the school they came from would be correct saying they quit.. Again, not calling their moral integrity into question, but they did quit too. That doesn't mean we shouldn't take them if they can contribute.

Let me know where I need to send the donation for the Riley statue.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

What is the kid supposed to say midseason when his Dad is fired? Tell everyone you are out at the end of the year? No. I guess he could have used the old "I'm just concentrating on the remaining games of this season before I think about next year" quote, but that is basically saying you are out of town at the end of the season.

For those of you that thought he would stay here after his dad was let go (really the only reason he came to UNT), weren't you just a little naive? The moment Dad was fired, Riley knew he wouldn't be back, but he also knew he had a team to lead. The kid did what he should have done under those circumstances.

This should be a dead subject, as he is now a McNeese Cowboy and will not graduate from UNT. Why don't we all just move on without calling him a quitter?

I don't much like the +/- buttons, but you get a +1 on that one.

• Upvote 1

I specifically remember beating him in a drinking game, flashing my 2004 conference ring and saying you'll never win one of these. I was drunk and an A-Hole, but I was right. Thanks for letting me win again state champ.

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

I have no intention of trying to insult anyone specific on this forum. However, it is always a byproduct of actually telling the truth. And the truth is...... You guys would be just fine with a "quitter" from another school that would COME TO UNT. ESPECIALLY if said player was the integrel part of a winning team. I wish I could see all those posts now about how glad we were that Tyler Stratford had left OU. THAT seemed to be ok with everybody. In the future...will you be rejecting tranfers because of their obvious lack of integrity...why would we want them on OUR field ??? After all, they committed one time to somebody..and since that didnt work out...due to health,finacial aid,coaching changes,etc...that all wont matter ! They should just quit and give up their sport all together. Aw HELL NO, dont come to THIS school.....We'd rather you just quit and shrink into nothingness than to try and make the best of it. How dare you as a player..try to transfer and actually play...when you can stay here and ride the bench just so you wont be called "Quitter". Kids, Riley, who ta hell ever !!!! I've been there......go where you can play...for as long as you can play !!! You haven't let ANYBODY down. And if you did...they'll have to just get over it and move on to another kid to berate.

Exactly right. You're only a quitter when you quit on UNT.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I hope Riley does well at McNeese State. It's a shame that some fans keep calling him a quitter. Players and coaches move around all the time in college football. If someone has a better opportunity elsewhere, we shouldn't be so hard on them for taking it.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3

Julian Herron is currently on our roster and is a transfer from SMU. Are some of you going to go up to him after the games this year and say "nice game....not bad for a quitter".

Just to clarify, Julian Herron didn't willingly leave SMU. He was forced out when June Jones cleaned house.

Being new to UNT here is my prespective on Riley Dodge. From what I have pick up from this message board the ONE & ONLY reason he came to UNT was to play for his father who was the Head Coach.

Just take a moment and think how hard it was for him after his father was fired, to then go out each and every day and give his very best for the same group that fired a man that I know was very dear to his heart.

Also even if he would have stayed at UNT, how would have most people have remembered him. My guess would be as the son of the coach we had to fire, instead on just Riley Dodge one mighty good football player. One thing I do know, and remember until just a little over a month ago this young man was just another name on a roster to me. he is no quitter.

Best of luck at McNeese State Riley Dodge.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Being new to UNT here is my prespective on Riley Dodge. From what I have pick up from this message board the ONE & ONLY reason he came to UNT was to play for his father who was the Head Coach.

Just take a moment and think how hard it was for him after his father was fired, to then go out each and every day and give his very best for the same group that fired a man that I know was very dear to his heart.

Also even if he would have stayed at UNT, how would have most people have remembered him. My guess would be as the son of the coach we had to fire, instead on just Riley Dodge one mighty good football player. One thing I do know, and remember until just a little over a month ago this young man was just another name on a roster to me. he is no quitter.

Best of luck at McNeese State Riley Dodge.

Amen, brother. And the man depicted in your avatar? I had the great good fortune to shake his hand after one of the games this year; I've never met a more impressive man, and I've met famous politicians and infamous music stars. He never was and never will be a "quitter", but he left North Texas after his junior year to go pro. In so many words, he said, "I was a math major, I looked at the numbers, and that was what was best for me".

• Upvote 1

GMG Guide:

"Quitter" - a player who leaves North Texas before their time here is done. Not a personal attack. Just a statement of fact of a player's status for any team we care about.

"Mean Green Athlete" - includes players who transferred to UNT to play for the only team that matters.

I hope that clears things up a bit.

• Upvote 3

All this animosity? If a player transfers because he wants to play, that is understandable. If a player falls under this category, most likely, they only have a limited time to play that sport at a high level. It is understandable that they want to go someplace that they want to play. However, if a player is getting a high amount of playing time, personally I think it is a different story.

GMG Guide:

"Quitter" - a player who leaves North Texas before their time here is done. Not a personal attack. Just a statement of fact of a player's status for any team we care about.

"Mean Green Athlete" - includes players who transferred to UNT to play for the only team that matters.

I hope that clears things up a bit.

This should be pinned somewhere.

• Downvote 1

I wish you posted more.

Haha. I miss you too. I read some, but dont post much. I'll try to be more active for your sake, and the sake of the mean green nation.

Fact of the story is he quit! Like it or not, reasonable or not. Riley is 22 year old man and did not have to leave because of his father.

Also won't Riley have only a year of eligibility left at McNeese State? He still has to sit out a year doesn't he? I thought you had to Division 2 or lower not to lose a year. So his sit out year would be year 4 with one left. I would much rather have my degree from UNT, so I don't get it.

Fact of the story is he quit! Like it or not, reasonable or not. Riley is 22 year old man and did not have to leave because of his father.

Also won't Riley have only a year of eligibility left at McNeese State? He still has to sit out a year doesn't he? I thought you had to Division 2 or lower not to lose a year. So his sit out year would be year 4 with one left. I would much rather have my degree from UNT, so I don't get it.

Riley will not lose any eligibility transferring to a FCS program. He would only have to sit if his transfer was lateral (FBS).

Edited by Got5onIt

Fact of the story is he quit!

Fact of the story is he was under no obligation to stay. College scholarships are year to year. Schools can cancel them. Players can leave.

This quitter BS is ridiculous. Did anyone call McCarney a quitter for leaving Florida? No. He had a better opportunity elsewhere, and Dodge thinks the opportunity is better at McNeese. That's his prerogative. Slamming him for it shows some pretty galling amnesia for what he did while he was here (and the injuries he suffered doing it).

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

If Riley stayed, the best-case scenario is this: He starts at quarterback, leads the team to a great season and everybody uses that great season as "proof" that his dad isn't a good coach.

That would be an uncomfortable position to be in. I would have liked to see him stay, but I can see why he'd be looking elsewhere.

• Upvote 1