Juco Qb Verbals To Mean Green

Harry

There's a link posted in the Blog pointing to Osborn's highlight compilation. They mostly ran spread, but there are some plays using a 6-man front. A couple of good bootlegs off that formation. As you might expect, most plays are to very wide-open receivers, but there are a few good darts to some well-covered targets, and a few plays showing off about a 40-yard arm. He's not a fast as Riley on the runs (few QB's are) but looked to be fast enough to get the yards needed. There are a few plays late in the video showing him getting blitzed off the edge, he doesn't bail out and makes a quick read.

Copied from Vito's Blog, was posted as a comment from elsewhere

With an inexperienced line coming back, was hoping for a dual-threat QB. Maybe they can find a HS kid that fits the bill. Was Granger the CA Juco QB that Canales was targeting all this time? The kid comes in and not be offered?

I agree. I can't understand bringing a kid on an official visit all the way from California if you have not offered him a ship, and don't intend to. Just doesn't seem right to me. There has to be more to this story.

I could be wrong but I didn't understand the infatuation with Granger. He wasn't even the principal starter. His stats were not overwhelming as I recall and I believe that he had seven interceptions last year in not much over a hundred throws (but I didn't look it up).

He may be the answer, I don't know, but I wonder why he wasn't the starter and why there was apparently no offer and/or acceptance.

The primary starter, Exavier Johnson, is also still looking. He had medium interest in North Texas.

I can't confirm a Troy offer. However, I can confirm that Akron offered and really wanted Osborn to visit to give them a chance. I can also tell you the Miami OH, Marshall, Vandy and Ole Miss had interest. Other offers came in from Texas State, Murray State, Tennessee Martin and few more FCS schools.

Brent was not highly recruited in high school due to lack of experience at the position and a wishbone system. Coach Hatcher, now at Murray State, was at Georgia Southern. Hatcher is one the coaches out of the Tony Franklin system mold. After 2 seasons, Georgia Southern alums put great pressure on the program to go back to the option attack. Hatcher moved on the Murray, and GSU brought in Jeff Monken. Monken was a Paul Johnson option guru for 13 years. After going through spring drills, Osborn chose to move on to Northwest CC to find a system that fit his skill set a little better. There is no doubt that Osborn is a better fit in a pro-style or passing spread. He runs well enough to escape pressure and move the pocket.

Osborn's recruiting did not take off until November 16th when he took it upon himself to get film and information out to coaches. For a JUCO QB that is a DEC entry, that is very late in the process. However, even though it was late, the reaction to Osborn's film was very positive by a number of schools. Prior to getting his film out, Brent was pretty much only looking at Murray State. It had to be hard for the young man not to follow Coach Hatcher to Murray, but UNT was just too nice to turn away.

Having known the family for years, Brent and his family will make a great addition to the UNT family. It is always nice to add good people to a program.

Film: http://www.streetlight-productions.com/BrentOsbornUpdate.html

Edited by Streetlight Productions
  • Upvote 1

very glad to have Brent aboard! He is obviously a guy that Canales likes and feels fit for his system; and is the first of many great QB's to sign with the Mean Green. We all know that Coach Mac has put together a good staff; and I trust Chico's judgment in evaluating and developing QB's right up there with anyone in the country. Look at the track record.

My guess with Granger would be that he could not enroll for the spring; and I know McCarney made it very clear they were only going to have JUCO QB's who could enroll for the spring semester and go through spring ball, summer, and fall camp.

I can't confirm a Troy offer. However, I can confirm that Akron offered and really wanted Osborn to visit to give them a chance. I can also tell you the Miami OH, Marshall, Vandy and Ole Miss had interest. Other offers came in from Texas State, Murray State, Tennessee Martin and few more FCS schools.

Brent was not highly recruited in high school due to lack of experience at the position and a wishbone system. Coach Hatcher, now at Murray State, was at Georgia Southern. Hatcher is one the coaches out of the Tony Franklin system mold. After 2 seasons, Georgia Southern alums put great pressure on the program to go back to the option attack. Hatcher moved on the Murray, and GSU brought in Jeff Monken. Monken was a Paul Johnson option guru for 13 years. After going through spring drills, Osborn chose to move on to Northwest CC to find a system that fit his skill set a little better. There is no doubt that Osborn is a better fit in a pro-style or passing spread. He runs well enough to escape pressure and move the pocket.

Osborn's recruiting did not take off until November 16th when he took it upon himself to get film and information out to coaches. For a JUCO QB that is a DEC entry, that is very late in the process. However, even though it was late, the reaction to Osborn's film was very positive by a number of schools. Prior to getting his film out, Brent was pretty much only looking at Murray State. It had to be hard for the young man not to follow Coach Hatcher to Murray, but UNT was just too nice to turn away.

Having known the family for years, Brent and his family will make a great addition to the UNT family. It is always nice to add good people to a program.

Film: http://www.streetlight-productions.com/BrentOsbornUpdate.html

And we welcome the Osborn's family into our folds with open arms. Juco QB recruiting is a funny game. Welcome to UNT and welcome to Mean Green Football.

Exciting times my friends. Exciting times!

glad to see we got riley a backup with some experience... also he will have 3 years so we will proably see him on the field at some point... as far as the Granger thing... I trust our coaches to bring in the best guy. Something had to be up with Granger, probably the spring transfer thing.

My guess is that the both QB were pretty much equal in abilities, but with Osborn, Coach Canales will have an extra year to develop him. And considering how much he developed Riley in the short time that he's been here, I'm very positive about this situation.

My guess with Granger would be that he could not enroll for the spring; and I know McCarney made it very clear they were only going to have JUCO QB's who could enroll for the spring semester and go through spring ball, summer, and fall camp.

I was wondering about Granger. If he didn't qualify for spring transfer why bring him in for a visit? I'm glad we signed someone but pocket passer didn't look like the way Mac wanted to go by what he was saying.

• Downvote 2

I was wondering about Granger. If he didn't qualify for spring transfer why bring him in for a visit? I'm glad we signed someone but pocket passer didn't look like the way Mac wanted to go by what he was saying.

All I have heard from Coach Mac so far has been complete generic coach speak, which may not be a bad thing. I think this team will be held deep under wraps until opening day.

I don't think this is a good sign for those wishing for open practices. Vito better bring his binoculars this Spring.