Concerns

Andrew

So I get ripped on for forcing a valid concern with proven points that anyone who knew a lick about college basketball would have respected. Clearly the Dallas Morning News and experts as well as the couple of players I have talked with would agree with me. I guess there must be some basketball geniuses out there. And I like how my point of the minutes played right now were the concern. Not playing 30 minutes a game later in the season but right now...

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/colleges/northtexas/stories/DRC_untgrambling_1202.286b53a14.html

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

So I get ripped on for forcing a valid concern with proven points that anyone who knew a lick about college basketball would have respected. Clearly the Dallas Morning News and experts as well as the couple of players I have talked with would agree with me. I guess there must be some basketball geniuses out there. And I like how my point of the minutes played right now were the concern. Not playing 30 minutes a game later in the season but right now...

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/colleges/northtexas/stories/DRC_untgrambling_1202.286b53a14.html

I don't like anything forced on me. Unless she's tall, blonde, and...well you can guess the rest ;)

no one has taken in the account that this could actually help us come SBC tourney time... after a week off we will hit that thing running in shape while other teams starters might be dragging... yeah depth is an issue but were 5 and 1!!!!! as long as we keep winning im fine ... GMG!!! keep winning baby!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Fun analogy: this 30 minute PT rehash is going to be the next draw on third and long.

Yes, it is fallacious game planning to various degrees. Yea, it will drive us into repeated face palms after reading threads beat like the dead horse.

But when all is said and done, the man is still winning.

**edit

Serious ?...

What were these guys averaging during the first 5 - 10 games last season? The year before? And, if > 30 minutes, where was this concern then?

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 1

No, they do hear me... I may have an in or two with the players and coaches, obviously its just an opinion, but one that should be voiced. JJ has done amazing things with our program! But if I am right then Im going to be very discouraged and if I am wrong then I will be smiling from ear to ear at the tourney. But a concerned opinion that has been said by so many has validity to it.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

Starters are averaging 29 minutes per game, thats not that bad.

“We were in the same situation when [Johnson] was out last year,” UNT head coach Johnny Jones said. “Josh had to log a lot of minutes and Alzee had to step in and help. We are a very good conditioned team. It’s one of those things. We would love to have the depth, but we will roll with what we have. We will make the adjustment.”

Skiver....no one cares that you think your a basketball knowledge god...and if you keep getting pissed about - points...then you will probably keep getting - so just make your argument like everyone else and stop complaning about the reputation...not like it really matters lol.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

I don't know what else you want from these people. If you ask to get validated, people are going to give you negative rep.

We discussed 2 nights ago that I share your concern, but there isn't any other option.

Our starters build a lead, you sit them and then your boy Holmen goes in. This article doesn't validate your argument that Holmen needs to start. It validates your concern that you, like everyone else who has watched college basketball before you knows that our starters have been putting in work.

Also, take a look at the schedule coming up. The road gets a little less bumpy up until conference time.

The world is not ending, and you're not making a terribly ground breaking point.

Edited by MeanMag
  • Upvote 1

Or Trent Johnson?

How did this bit-'o-wit fly under the radar? +1.

As to Skiver's point...or attempted point...I too have always been a fan of keeping your 2nd or 3rd best player on the bench to start the game. Ideally, for me, that guy would be Josh for UNT...but let's be realistic...so I was just as fine with that guy being DoJo to start this season.

Problem is Shorter has been bad...and I'm sorry, Holmen has been an abortion so far. I'm not sure exactly who you've been watching, but he has shown no sign of being able to contribute offensively...and the idea that because he helped force a turnover or two while he was at the head of the 1-2-1-1 full court against Rice makes him a good defender...and especially a good perimeter defender...is completely laughable. I'd honestly rather give Tyler Hall the starting job, let him run around, see if he can't knock down a 3 (b/c you know he'll shoot one) and have him harass their 2 guard til the under 16, then get DJ on the floor.

The fact is though, that plugging DJ into the starting line-up has helped get this team off to hot starts the past 2 games...you have to ride the hot hands right now and its this line-up. We're used to being a deep team...we're not this season. I know change scares many of you...but its gonna be OK. Plenty of examples of teams riding their top 5 to success...hell, WKU 2 years ago when they won the Belt and beat Illinois in the NCAA first round...

Slaughter - 34.6mpg, OMV - 33.5mpg, Pettigrew - 29.6mpg, Evans - 25.3mpg, Kerusch - 24.7mpg, Sally - 21.4mpg...then it drops down to Cvoro - 11.1mpg, Magley - 10.9mpg

And anyone who remembers this season will note Cvoro and Magley's minutes diminished as the season progressed. They went with a 6 man rotation...and I think they did just fine.

We have 4 really good players...we have 1 guy who is really developing into a hell of a complimentary post...and we have one guy who has proven he can be a nice glue guy. Past that we have some size...and when Cameron Spencer gets back that size can give us 20 fouls...and we have 2 walk-on guards. I'm not confident any one is really going to show much more than what we've seen this season...and yet despite that we're 6-1.

• Upvote 1

One concern to me before the season...was could we replace some of Eric Tramiel's inside scoring. We're not quite there yet.....but I'm seeing a lot more from Kedrick's offensive game of late. I think KH is going to step it up....and along with George, our inside scoring will be fine.

I do worry about our depth situation.

One concern to me before the season...was could we replace some of Eric Tramiel's inside scoring. We're not quite there yet.....but I'm seeing a lot more from Kedrick's offensive game of late. I think KH is going to step it up....and along with George, our inside scoring will be fine.

I do worry about our depth situation.

I'm a little worried about KH... The first few games he was a blast of energy. These last two he's seemed gased and has gotten sloppy at times. I'm sure it's just this stretch of games, but he's the only one I'm really worried about MPG...

I'm a little worried about KH... The first few games he was a blast of energy. These last two he's seemed gased and has gotten sloppy at times. I'm sure it's just this stretch of games, but he's the only one I'm really worried about MPG...

About the being gassed part: Last night late in the game..both the team doctor and trainer were talking to Kedrick. We were worried that he was injured. Anyway, moments later, Ked was using one of those asthma inhalers (or whatever you call them). So that may be what he's dealing with at times...an asthma flare up. As to my earlier point...his offensive game has improved considerably this year....IMHO.

SUMG, that is interesting regarding KH. I was following the game on my phone and he seemed to be a turnover machine last night. This could explain those problems.

I didn't notice him being particulary turnover prone last night. Anyway, just looked up the stats---2 turnovers in 30 minutes. That's not bad, at all.

Skiver, if you don't want to get neg, they stop acting like a condescending, combative know it all.

Why? Well, lets look at a list:

1. Your opinions will never get a fair hearing if you insult the people you want to sway.
  2. It shows a certain maturity to accept that a viewpoint different from yours is still a valid one to hold, no matter if you disagree with it. Showing that maturity will also make people more open to listen to your viewpoints when they disagree with you.
  3. Rudeness, trolling, insulting posts are all against our rules and I will ban you back into the stone age if you keep it up.

Now repeat after me:

I'm good enough, I'm strong enough, and gosh darnit, people like me. flowers.gif