Is Dunbar Our Greatest Running Back Ever?

UNTLifer

Freshman JaMario was the best runner we ever had.

Patrick Cobbs was the best all around back we had.

I think people forget that JaMo had the speed and moves that Lance does, but he had the lower body strength to hit a pile and move it 5 yards. After his injuries, he was never the same.

All that said, Lance needs 900 something yards to become out all time leading rusher, he does that, and he has a real argument.

I never saw Abner Haynes play.

As far as consistency and injury avoidance I would say yes. That wasn't an early 2000's SBC defense that he faced last Saturday. Hopeful that next season will be even better.

No, that was a run defense worse than many we faced during the early 2000's.

If I remember correctly, Jamario's debut came against a Colorado team that was top 5 in run defense at the time.

I think people forget that JaMo had the speed and moves that Lance does, but he had the lower body strength to hit a pile and move it 5 yards. After his injuries, he was never the same.

All that said, Lance needs 900 something yards to become out all time leading rusher, he does that, and he has a real argument.

All of this...

No, that was a run defense worse than many we faced during the early 2000's.

If I remember correctly, Jamario's debut came against a Colorado team that was top 5 in run defense at the time.

Jamario was incredible as a freshman, and a great contributor afterwards, but unfortunately he was pretty much a flash in the pan. Great game against a slow CU defense, and I'm pretty sure that today's SBC is better overall against the run than what he and Cobbs faced back then. Of course we have to wait and see what happens in '11, but at the moment I would rank our most recent backs in the order of Dunbar, Cobbs, and Thomas. Of course we could toss in guys from the past like Eric Pegram, Bernard Jackson (an unfortunate flash in the pan), Abner Haynes and others for consideration, but I think I'll still stick with the guy who's doing it for us in the present.

I wanna say Cobbs, Dunbar, Thomas, Galbreath. Cobbs was a great RB with speed, power and great feet. Cobbs also was an awesome passing target, too. Lance is probably way faster than Cobbs, but I don't know if he can punch a hole through as well as Cobbs did. Thomas was probably the fastest guy we've had, but that injury hobbled him afterwards. Galbreath pretty much set the standard by which all UNT RBs are measured by since his career here.

Sidenote: I really wish Dickey ran Cobbs and Thomas in the wishbone formation. I really, really wish he had. Defenses wouldn't know which RB to key in on, and even if they ran a contain D on them, then the ball could go right out to a TE or stay in the QB's hands.

Next year will tell for sure, but Patrick Cobbs is probably the best. Jamario was very special in his freshman year.

Every generation has it's own favorite. I only saw Abner Haynes play in a varsity vs alumni game in the late 60's.

He was very versitile, and they used him both as runner and pass catcher, which is why he did so well in the pros. Still his best year for all purpose yards was 1959 with 1209 (rush,catch,return).

Outstanding RB's that I've seen.

Bobby Smith, was drafted by Buffalo in 64 and played in the NFL for a few years. Best year 1961, 776 all-purpose yards.

Sears Woods, 1975, all-purpose yards 816

Bernard Jackson (5'11" X 175lbs), 1978, all-purpose yards 1604,

1979, 1271

Malcom Jones (5'6" X 160lbs), 1980, all-purpose yards 1394.

Carlen Charleston (5'5" X 155lbs) 1981, all-purpose yards 947.

Hut Allred, 1996, 967 all purpose, 1997, 841 all purpose

Ja'Quay Wilburn, 1999, rushing only, 1016.

Kevin Galbreath, 2001 2002, all-purpose yards 1131 and 1319 respectively.

Honorable mention, both fullbacks.

Fred Gordon (77 & 78) 6'3" X 235 could do it all, block, run, and catch. Mainly blocked for Bernard Jackson.

Darrin Collins, (86 & 87) great wishbone FB.

I don't think you can compare earlier players with current players on the basis of statistics. You might look at the percentage of the teams total yardage produced by the runner. I only saw Abner in the bowl game on tv following his senior year. I did follow him closely with first the Dallas Texans and then the KC Chiefs. He was outstanding. For his time, he certainly was as good as anybody. I did see Bobby Smith play in college. He was speedy, but not in the same class as Abner.

I don't think you can compare earlier players with current players on the basis of statistics. You might look at the percentage of the teams total yardage produced by the runner. I only saw Abner in the bowl game on tv following his senior year. I did follow him closely with first the Dallas Texans and then the KC Chiefs. He was outstanding. For his time, he certainly was as good as anybody. I did see Bobby Smith play in college. He was speedy, but not in the same class as Abner.

Abner Haynes is in the AFL Hall of Fame and the Texas Sports HOF. He is the best that I've seen play at North Texas.

Ray Renfro had speed but he was a better receiver than runner. Bernard Jackson was much the same as Dunbar is now. If his career hadn't been cut short he'd be on this list of greatest backs for sure. Early Jamario was in Abner's class. I like Patrick Cobbs and think that he's had the second best career at UNT.

Lance Dunbar has a chance to be better than all of the rest. One thing that I think that he needs to do is pick up this team on his back and carry them to a conference championship. It may be a lot to ask but if he's our greatest running ever he should be capable of doing it.

Stop reading my mind

abner haynes, without a doubt. i have lived long enough to have seen some great backs at north texas, including a few not mentioned, but he had the break away speed and moves like no other.as a side note, he was our 1st black player in a time of segreation, and received death threats when he enrolled. a denton native from fred moore high [the dragons], he was not allowed in local movie theaters,restaurants, etc.,. i have always said that if joe greene was the best, abner haynes was the bravest.just a old mans opinion.

Abner Haynes is in the AFL Hall of Fame and the Texas Sports HOF. He is the best that I've seen play at North Texas.

Ray Renfro had speed but he was a better receiver than runner. Bernard Jackson was much the same as Dunbar is now. If his career hadn't been cut short he'd be on this list of greatest backs for sure. Early Jamario was in Abner's class. I like Patrick Cobbs and think that he's had the second best career at UNT.

Lance Dunbar has a chance to be better than all of the rest. One thing that I think that he needs to do is pick up this team on his back and carry them to a conference championship. It may be a lot to ask but if he's our greatest running ever he should be capable of doing it.

So are we going to start lining him up on defense so he can make tackles, sack the QB, and cover WR's? He's doing everything he can, but it doesn't matter if we score 30+ points if the D doesn't stop anyone and he shouldn't be penalized for it.