Mean Green Show Up Big

Just wanted to take a minute and thank the fans and the students for creating an awesome atmosphere that hasn't been seen in the Super Pit for a while. Standing on the floor it sounded like a cannon exploded when Josh hit the layup and then we made the second three in overtime. It's how it should be every night when students are here and when school is out we need to fill the gaps and still get a crowd in the Pit. With a crowd that size please let me know if there were problems or any good things that happened. And I promise to let the student section do their thing. I only stepped over because early on there were a lot of students but only about half of them up and chanting. By the end of the game they were rocking. It was the kind of crowd I've waited for and thanks for making it happen. GO MEAN GREEN!

As Always , thank you very much for taking the time to stop by here. It is very well appreciated

Best sporting event I have been to at UNT period....until we beat Kansas State. If you can book the teams we can expect this type of outcome and support to the games. RV..it was mentioned that maybe setting up a temp pro shop during big events would be great (similar to what is at Fouts)...and maybe some temp vendors to supplement the larger concessions at big games since apparently some were thirsty and hungry but didn't want to wait in a long line. Very very proud day at North Texas! Every Techie in my office has had it rubbed in their face. I have even got UTA alum lined up for that game on the 30th and they claim to never having attended a sporting event for their own school. They are looking forward to seeing their team play in the SuperPit!

RV..it was mentioned that maybe setting up a temp pro shop during big events would be great (similar to what is at Fouts)...and maybe some temp vendors to supplement the larger concessions at big games since apparently some were thirsty and hungry but didn't want to wait in a long line.

More of let's turn one of the unused concession stands into a permanent walk-in shop or at least use that instead of a foldable table if we're going the temp route so things can be displayed more clearly and it's easier to tell people where it's at (also it looks better). Oh, and long ago the request was made for suggestions to improve the Pit, and what I thought of the other night was replacing all the floor ad boards with LED boards so we can show things like "MAKE SOME NOISE" etc in between advertising.

Beyond those enhancements, I thought the event was handled really well from an experience standpoint. The music by both the band and the over the speaker were a thousand times better than the UAM game, and everything fit. I also liked all the timeout and half promotions.

Really great job by all.

Edited by ColoradoEagle

RV...thanks for stopping by and posting. Baylor fan posted below and had constructive criticism about Super PIT.

Thanks for doing what it takes to schedule these games against quality opponents. Please schedule more even if you have to spend athletic budget money to do so. In the long run overall attendance, concession sales, and gift shop purchases will provide suitable ROI, so we can have more big name opponents.

This will also brake DFW media bias against UNT Basketball and other sports. UNT is miles ahead of TCU and SMU on the hardwood. This irks their alumni to no end, Hurray!!!

Please start discussion with UNT President and BOR about Johnny Jones contract. UNT must keep him here. Over the years UNT faithful have seen various athletic disciplines wonder in mediocrity after we lost coaches over money to other schools.

Thanks for doing what it takes to schedule these games against quality opponents. Please schedule more even if you have to spend athletic budget money to do so. In the long run overall attendance, concession sales, and gift shop purchases will provide suitable ROI, so we can have more big name opponents.

This x 1000. I know it is difficult to get these type of teams to play here, but if you plan on making nights like Tuesday an every game occurance, you need at least 3 to 4 of the Tech type home games a year.

Spend money to make money type of thing.

Edited by UNT90

This x 1000. I know it is difficult to get these type of teams to play here, but if you plan on making nights like Tuesday an every game occurance, you need at least 3 to 4 of the Tech type home games a year.

Spend money to make money type of thing.

It will only get tougher to get them in the Pit since we keep beating the BCS conference schools!

It is going to be hard to get big name teams to play us or come here. Just like Hawaii in football a few years back. It was great to go see beautiful Hawaii, until they started beating everybody. Most of your BCS teams don't want to face a possible upset so early in the year. UNT is no longer a guranteed win, as evident in reading the KU board.

It will only get tougher to get them in the Pit since we keep beating the BCS conference schools!

---That is exactly the problem Blakely faced during the 70's... No big names wanted to play us....especially in the Pit..... [ we had won more regular season games than anyone in a three year stretch] The way to change that though is win some NCAA playoff games and we will get more respect and better opponents will play us since we would have a tough reputation. .

---That is exactly the problem Blakely faced during the 70's... No big names wanted to play us....especially in the Pit..... [ we had won more regular season games than anyone in a three year stretch] The way to change that though is win some NCAA playoff games and we will get more respect and better opponents will play us since we would have a tough reputation. .

This. Everything revolves around conference strength and projected end-of-season RPI in college basketball. Our problem right now is that, although we are a good team , we don't play a strong enough schedule and don't have the name recognition to up the RPI projection. We are kind of caught in the middle.

If we go back to the NCAA this year and even win a game, I think scheduling becomes easier. Recruiting classes like the early one that just signed never hurt the chances for better RPI's, either.

• Upvote 1

I watched the game on the the net and it was awesome! I felt like I was there and I had not had that level of excitement since I listened to the UNT win over NMSU to send us to New Orleans back in the days.

I am psyched to be able to attend the Rice and UTA games and I think we need some post game goals to keep this momentum flowing.

For example, I live in Vegas and go to Rebel games all of the time. They pride themselves on leading the West in attendance. They had 9,000 show up for an exhibition. Their rich history will allow them to draw the casual fans like me.

However, UNT is in some new territory. We can totally trumpet our basketball attendance and maybe make it a visual contest - show UT's attendance and then SMU's attendance and keep it running throughout the season. All of a sudden you get people who want to make sure UNT stays in the upper echelon. You start mixing in a total from Texas A&M and TCU and now we are right there in the talk with the recognized programs - competing, beating and leading.

Not sure what the timeout activities are, but give away IPOD touches for the students to keep them coming back. Get a round trip on SW Airlines to interest the alums. UNLV has a dj handle the timeout activities and he always gets them pumped up before the team comes back to play. Again make it an event and a memory worth returning to and now you build loyalty and energy beyond reason.

GMG

UNLV has a dj handle the timeout activities and he always gets them pumped up before the team comes back to play.

No way on this one. College games should feature their fights songs and other pep songs, and I think our basketball pep band does an awesome job of getting everyone pumped up. I would hate to see our games turn in to a NBA type game with rap music playing before play starts.

Since this is turning into a wish list type of thread- things I would love to see is improve our basketball program is schedule highly ranked mid majors since that is what we are striving to become. I would love to see a Gonzaga or Butler get knocked off at the Super Pit. Also keep up bringing in Big XII schools and other regional schools, fans and students love that. Personally I would love to see us play TAMU, and even schools like TCU and SMU at home.

Our basketball program is on the verge of great things and I hope our University can rally around it.

Edited by Eastwood Eagle

No way on this one. College games should feature their fights songs and other pep songs, and I think our basketball pep band does an awesome job of getting everyone pumped up. I would hate to see our games turn in to a NBA type game with rap music playing before play starts.

I think he means MC, not DJ. We did have an MC doing timeout promotions/contests during the game.

Personally I would love to see us play TAMU, and even schools like TCU and SMU at home.

We've had both to the Pit with TCU last in '04, if I remember correctly. With the SBC's new scheduling requirements starting next year, we would have to schedule a school to balance out TCU's RPI. SMU isn't worth scheduling at this point.

I say schedule TCU and SMU to get more local media attention, but then again if we advance deep into the NCAA Tournament I think that would be better attention anyway (atleast we could only hope).

Here's the problem. In order to schedule these schools, they have to be counterbalanced with others to meet the 150 or better RPI requirement. It is a rolling average over three years, but I imagine you would want to balance your schedule each year instead of rushing to make up for it a year or two later.

So going by last year's RPI, if we scheduled TCU, we would have to schedule #112 or better to balance that. That group is USC, Long Beach State, Houston, Buffalo, etc. For SMU, we would have to schedule someone #92 or better. That would be North Carolina, Charleston, Missouri State, Akron, etc. Same goes for UT-Arlington.

Obviously scheduling is a bit more complicated than this, but the point is that the SBC has decided as a conference to curb the scheduling of so many cupcakes. TCU and SMU are cupcakes. On top of that, we should want to schedule schools that are going to improve our chances for an at-large bid should we not win the conference tournament. Neither of those schools help in that.

Here's the problem. In order to schedule these schools, they have to be counterbalanced with others to meet the 150 or better RPI requirement. It is a rolling average over three years, but I imagine you would want to balance your schedule each year instead of rushing to make up for it a year or two later.

So going by last year's RPI, if we scheduled TCU, we would have to schedule #112 or better to balance that. That group is USC, Long Beach State, Houston, Buffalo, etc. For SMU, we would have to schedule someone #92 or better. That would be North Carolina, Charleston, Missouri State, Akron, etc. Same goes for UT-Arlington.

Obviously scheduling is a bit more complicated than this, but the point is that the SBC has decided as a conference to curb the scheduling of so many cupcakes. TCU and SMU are cupcakes. On top of that, we should want to schedule schools that are going to improve our chances for an at-large bid should we not win the conference tournament. Neither of those schools help in that.

The 150 rule has one exemption: If YOUR school's RPI is above 150, you don't have to worry about opponent RPI. We haven't been below 150 in RPI since 2005-06. We can schedule whoever we want (from D1) unless we stop being awesome.

I know it might be a little costly but students turn out in large numbers for free stuff. Just look at the annual free t-shirt nights we've had the past few years where the student section was pretty full. And thats just for shirts that say "Class of ___" There needs to be a few games where "Pit Crew" shirts and gear are given away and not just to those who show up early but to every student that shows up. This will increase student attendance as well as interest in what the Pit Crew is because students will see their peers on campus wearing these shirts and they will want in. Which brings me to my next suggestion, the sale of "Pit Crew" shirts and gear at the bookstore and Voertman's. We need to make the Pit Crew a "cool" thing to be a part of for those students who arent fans of basketball but will show up if it's the "cool" thing to do. Because it is apparent that we don't have enough students that will take advantage of great basketball on campus FOR FREE.