North Texas Coach Todd Dodge Wouldn't Have His Son

gangrene

Didn't SMU has a bureaucratic mix up last year with telling not one but two or three recruits they were not going to be accepted? And that mix up happened just weeks before the start of classes making it extremely difficult for those guys to find a college at all.

Yes, and also June Jones failed to honor prior commitments made before Bennett was fired. I think this all means that bottom line, as far as players who will ever wear the UNT uniform, we're done recruiting until a new head coach is named.

Didn't SMU has a bureaucratic mix up last year with telling not one but two or three recruits they were not going to be accepted? And that mix up happened just weeks before the start of classes making it extremely difficult for those guys to find a college at all.

It was this summer, but it was not on June Jones if I was told correctly, but a school board/panel playing games. I heard Jones was beyond upset about it, and some even wondered if he might start looking for another home.

It was this summer, but it was not on June Jones if I was told correctly, but a school board/panel playing games. I heard Jones was beyond upset about it, and some even wondered if he might start looking for another home.

Whether he's looking or not, there will be enough jobs higher up the ladder at BCS AQs open up. And, he will get some interviews. If he takes the Ponies to another bowl game this season, he'll be gone.

That's not to say anything about his character. It's the nature of the business. It would have been the same for Dodge if he'd turned this ship around and put us in multiple bowls.

A school like Kansas surely would have put in a call to Dodge had we been bowling in 2008 and 2009.

I worked with a guy that was one of Dodge's assistants pre Southlake. He thought that he was going to be fired and started looking for another job, then Dodge tells him he won't be fired, he gets offered a job by another school and turns it down thinking that his current job is safe only to be fired by Dodge before the end of the school year. Classy guy indeed.

So, what did he do to get fired? I would say there are two sides to every story, especially termination of employment. Maybe he was relieved of his coaching duties, but I bet he still collected a paycheck until the end of the year and kept his teaching position. Have you heard the other side of the story?

Edited by Green Dozer

So, what did he do to get fired? I would say there are two sides to every story, especially termination of employment. Maybe he was relieved of his coaching duties, but I bet he still collected a paycheck until the end of the year and kept his teaching position. Have you heard the other side of the story?

That bolded part was actually my point as well. I've always looked a little askance at those who say Dodge is nothing but a class act. Really? I think everybody's sorry to one degree or another. I think people need to tap the brakes just a little and have a healthy degree of skepticism about these things.

As for my former coworker, I admit, I don't know everything about what happened. He told me this story back when Dodge first got hired. It was a lunchroom conversation that happened one day and never came back up. I have no idea why he got fired. Frankly, I have no idea how he got hired in the first place. He was kind of a weird guy (kind of! heck, I'm kind of a weird guy, normal people must have thought he was truly bizarre) and I didn't talk to him very much.

The thing that stuck with me though, was what he said at the end of the conversation. I'll paraphrase since I don't want to be banned for naughty language.

In his opinion, Dodge was a sorry SOB and a mediocre coach on his better days. The only reason he won at Southlake is because he had more money than anyone else. He also hoped that Dodge would show how bad a coach he really was when he took over at UNT.

All his opinion, not mine, and I know that there is surely at least one other side to this story if not more, but once the non-competitive losing started in year one that conversation just kept coming back to mind.

It doesn't happen that often. Schools usually honor the commitments, particularly at programs like UNT that struggle in recruiting. I challenge you to look at Dodge's first recruiting class and tell me there wasn't room for this athlete.

But even if you buy the premise that it is a common practice, Dodge didn't call the kid or his parents. The kid's coach had to call repeatedly to find out.

It was a completely sorry-ass move.

I can see how you could be upset about this. But I see it as an indicator to how Dodge could have been overwhelmed from the beginning. There is a learning curve to taking that jump from HS to college, and I think it's unfortunate that this kid had to share in the cost of Dodge learning that aspect of his job.

I think this is a great quote by Dodge:

"My expectations are that there are some special things that can be done here at North Texas, whether or not I'll be the head coach that's to be seen but I'm not worried about that."

Read more: http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.com/colleges/2010/10/northtexas-coach-todd-dodge-wouldnt-have-his-son-play-for-him-again.html#ixzz1200zREmN

I know a lot of people on Southlake would love Dodge back. Just last night I was talking to one who hopes Dodge is fired and returns. I told him I doubted Dodge would go back to any high school at this point as he has too many opportunities as a college coach. Southlake has not been the same since he left although the income levels are still higher than most of the state. It's obvious there was something more than income involved in winning so many championships.

I know a lot of people on Southlake would love Dodge back. Just last night I was talking to one who hopes Dodge is fired and returns. I told him I doubted Dodge would go back to any high school at this point as he has too many opportunities as a college coach. Southlake has not been the same since he left although the income levels are still higher than most of the state. It's obvious there was something more than income involved in winning so many championships.

Also at Celina, Plano (when it was a one high school town), Odessa Permian, etc. Even Chase Daniel's dad said they moved Irving to Southlake after Chase attended one of Dodge's QB camps, but it was a few years (like 8th or 9th grade) before he played varsity. Plano was the Southlake in the 70's and 80's.

What I am saying is they obviously did a better job than what Southlake did in their latest recruiting coup.

I thought I was a fairly negative individual, but I don't think I've ever made a statement like that.

I've been at times a liar and a hypocrite. I've been a far from perfect husband, son, brother, teacher, student, and whatever other roles I've had in my life. I could go on.

Do those things make me sorry? Yes, they do somewhat. Does that make me a bad person? I hope not, but I'm willing to accept that possibility and try harder to be better.

Do I also think that everybody else out there, you and Coach Dodge included, can say those same things (adjusted to their own life situation)? Absolutely.

I don't think that I'm a negative person, but if you think I am you're certainly entitled to think so. I'll just disagree with you.

But enough about me, back to football.

Edited by Denia Park Pedro
  • Upvote 1

Not quite getting that. Isn't Canales up in the pressbox? I thought clock management was almost always a head coach responsibility.

The time management knock on Canales in this circumstance is that he should have had a play in Riley's hands before he even went out on the field. They had plenty of time before the clock started moving again.

• Upvote 1

That bolded part was actually my point as well. I've always looked a little askance at those who say Dodge is nothing but a class act. Really? I think everybody's sorry to one degree or another. I think people need to tap the brakes just a little and have a healthy degree of skepticism about these things.

As for my former coworker, I admit, I don't know everything about what happened. He told me this story back when Dodge first got hired. It was a lunchroom conversation that happened one day and never came back up. I have no idea why he got fired. Frankly, I have no idea how he got hired in the first place. He was kind of a weird guy (kind of! heck, I'm kind of a weird guy, normal people must have thought he was truly bizarre) and I didn't talk to him very much.

The thing that stuck with me though, was what he said at the end of the conversation. I'll paraphrase since I don't want to be banned for naughty language.

In his opinion, Dodge was a sorry SOB and a mediocre coach on his better days. The only reason he won at Southlake is because he had more money than anyone else. He also hoped that Dodge would show how bad a coach he really was when he took over at UNT.

All his opinion, not mine, and I know that there is surely at least one other side to this story if not more, but once the non-competitive losing started in year one that conversation just kept coming back to mind.

When I say that Dodge is a class act - I am only referring to his comments about the school and the fans. It is a direct contradiction to our last two head coaches that went out with guns a blazing. Nothing more, nothing less. If you can find a comment that Dodge has made to the press where he spoke badly of the school, the opportunity, the fans, or of the administration - I might reconsider my stance. I have yet to see one. I really don't want hearsay - anything about a friend or some distant relative happened to know someone that Dodge wronged any comments resembling "my sister's cousin's best friend's mom heard that his uncle heard that Ferris was going to donate his eyes to Stevie Wonder type of comment" - I would like to see something in print, where he put down his school (any of the schools that he has been at) - or their fans - or the other coaches - or the players - or the administration. If you can show me an example of this, I would rethink my stance. But as far as I am concerned - he is a fine ambassador for the program, even if he can't fight his way out of a paper bag.

• Upvote 2

When I say that Dodge is a class act - I am only referring to his comments about the school and the fans. It is a direct contradiction to our last two head coaches that went out with guns a blazing. Nothing more, nothing less. If you can find a comment that Dodge has made to the press where he spoke badly of the school, the opportunity, the fans, or of the administration - I might reconsider my stance. I have yet to see one. I really don't want hearsay - anything about a friend or some distant relative happened to know someone that Dodge wronged any comments resembling "my sister's cousin's best friend's mom heard that his uncle heard that Ferris was going to donate his eyes to Stevie Wonder type of comment" - I would like to see something in print, where he put down his school (any of the schools that he has been at) - or their fans - or the other coaches - or the players - or the administration. If you can show me an example of this, I would rethink my stance. But as far as I am concerned - he is a fine ambassador for the program, even if he can't fight his way out of a paper bag.

I think he's been very politic here. It's probably been the only thing that's kept him here this long, and if Dickey had been somewhat less impolitic he'd probably still be here. I'm not asking you to reconsider your stance, anyway. I'm just doing what everybody else seems to be doing, nitpicking some little thing while we play out the string. If the text I bolded wasn't true, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

I will now cease to be the Devil's Advocate on the matter of the class-actiness of Dodge. My ability to care about the subject has been beaten out of me.

I believe I can honestly understand how Dodge must feel concerning Riley playing under him at UNT. Yes, hindsight is always better than foresight. I'm sure that somewhere Vizza feels the some way. And what about Meager. No, Riley coming to UNT didn't have any affect on his playing time but you have to feel for a kid who gave it all for the program, waiting patiently for his time, throws for over 600 yards against SMU only to be benched against Arkansas and seldom if ever to see the playing field again his senior year.

And no I don't know Dodge personally. But what reason would he ever have to say anything negative about the students, fans, school or administration? Didn't he hire on with little college coaching experience and at a pay level higher than Dickey. And unlike Darrell, wasn't he afforded better facilities and the promise of a new stadium?

As for comparing the character of the two men, I can only go on rumors. I never personally saw Darrell walking the streets in a drunken state in New Orleans, or witnessed him passed out in the bushes by the Athletic Center. I never heard him use profanity at The Blues Club. I wasn't there. If these accusations are true, than yes in that regard Dodge has represented us well. And like Dodge, I never once saw Dickey acting in a classless manner on the sidelines. If anything he was always too docile in my opinion.

In defense of Darrell. He provided four Conference Chammpionships and set a Sun Belt winning streak that will more than likely last longer then the Sun Belt itself and yet didn't we all want more. I know I did. I'm guilty. I wanted him to make a better showing against more OOC games and to see a more disciplined team on the field in the Bowl games.

I am not making any excuses for Dickey but I can understand how he must have felt before and after his firing. Everything he accomplished was never good enough for some other school to hire him away or for us, the fans. Who woundn't be bitter?

Yes, Dodge has represented us well with his conduct on and off the field. Why wouldn't he?

I believe I can honestly understand how Dodge must feel concerning Riley playing under him at UNT. Yes, hindsight is always better than foresight. I'm sure that somewhere Vizza feels the some way. And what about Meager. No, Riley coming to UNT didn't have any affect on his playing time but you have to feel for a kid who gave it all for the program, waiting patiently for his time, throws for over 600 yards against SMU only to be benched against Arkansas and seldom if ever to see the playing field again his senior year.

And no I don't know Dodge personally. But what reason would he ever have to say anything negative about the students, fans, school or administration? Didn't he hire on with little college coaching experience and at a pay level higher than Dickey. And unlike Darrell, wasn't he afforded better facilities and the promise of a new stadium?

As for comparing the character of the two men, I can only go on rumors. I never personally saw Darrell walking the streets in a drunken state in New Orleans, or witnessed him passed out in the bushes by the Athletic Center. I never heard him use profanity at The Blues Club. I wasn't there. If these accusations are true, than yes in that regard Dodge has represented us well. And like Dodge, I never once saw Dickey acting in a classless manner on the sidelines. If anything he was always too docile in my opinion.

In defense of Darrell. He provided four Conference Chammpionships and set a Sun Belt winning streak that will more than likely last longer then the Sun Belt itself and yet didn't we all want more. I know I did. I'm guilty. I wanted him to make a better showing against more OOC games and to see a more disciplined team on the field in the Bowl games.

I am not making any excuses for Dickey but I can understand how he must have felt before and after his firing. Everything he accomplished was never good enough for some other school to hire him away or for us, the fans. Who woundn't be bitter?

Yes, Dodge has represented us well with his conduct on and off the field. Why wouldn't he?

Well said. What TD has done is make UNT the joke of college football...everybody is always looking to see if we are in the bottom 10 of college football polls...now thats what you call doing something for the program. And we should expect our coaches, like DD, to win at least some of the Out of conf games. Our expectations at UNT are way too low....so this is what we have.

I look forward to the day (although I probably won't be around to see it) that we start comparing the virtues of the next 2 UNT football coaches whose careers were around .750 Wins/Losses for each of their respective 10 year careers at North Texas and that this board's members argue which coach had the most Top 25 ranked football teams.

Yes, I truly look forward to that day.

I am on board with a re-assignment for Coach Dodge. I'm not sure if he would be on board, but I would be happy to see him as a part of the UNT Family for a long time to come, if not at the position of Head Coach.

The attempt to compare Dickey and Dodge is strained at best. They were two different guys with two very different personalities. ...Dickey did in fact deliver 4 conference championships, wins ooc, and bowl appearances. ...despite this great run, there were always rumblings about his behaivior out in public and there is documented evidence of his negative rumblings about the AD, the University and the Fans. None of this makes him a bad guy, just a bad fit to be the Head Coach of our football program, but more importantly to me, means he really shouldn't have anything to do with the program except for in the history books.

Dodge, on the other hand, has an absolutely clean record regarding his public face as the Head Coach of the football team, but he hasn't delivered the wins we have all expected of him. This doesn't make him a bad guy, just a bad fit to be the Head Coach of our football program. ...however, the overwhelming evidence of his feelings about NT and this program, which are magnified by this interview, cause me no hesitation to be a part of North Texas and the program moving forward in some other capacity.

Dodge has been a class act, and I expect he's going to take his lumps like a man, and walk off of the UNT campus for the last time with his head held high - he did his honest best. It wasn't good enough, but while he was here, he treated this University and the program with the utmost respect and he did the best he could to make this work. In the reality of the business of football, this isn't enough to keep your job - it's about wins and losses - but it IS enough to earn the respect and admiration of the fanbase and the peers who he has worked for and with during his tenure here.

I, for one, am proud to say that Todd Dodge has been a part of UNT, and I hope he continues to be a part of UNT even if he is relieved of his duties as Head Coach.

• Upvote 2

I am on board with a re-assignment for Coach Dodge. I'm not sure if he would be on board, but I would be happy to see him as a part of the UNT Family for a long time to come, if not at the position of Head Coach.

The attempt to compare Dickey and Dodge is strained at best. They were two different guys with two very different personalities. ...Dickey did in fact deliver 4 conference championships, wins ooc, and bowl appearances. ...despite this great run, there were always rumblings about his behaivior out in public and there is documented evidence of his negative rumblings about the AD, the University and the Fans. None of this makes him a bad guy, just a bad fit to be the Head Coach of our football program, but more importantly to me, means he really shouldn't have anything to do with the program except for in the history books.

Dodge, on the other hand, has an absolutely clean record regarding his public face as the Head Coach of the football team, but he hasn't delivered the wins we have all expected of him. This doesn't make him a bad guy, just a bad fit to be the Head Coach of our football program. ...however, the overwhelming evidence of his feelings about NT and this program, which are magnified by this interview, cause me no hesitation to be a part of North Texas and the program moving forward in some other capacity.

Dodge has been a class act, and I expect he's going to take his lumps like a man, and walk off of the UNT campus for the last time with his head held high - he did his honest best. It wasn't good enough, but while he was here, he treated this University and the program with the utmost respect and he did the best he could to make this work. In the reality of the business of football, this isn't enough to keep your job - it's about wins and losses - but it IS enough to earn the respect and admiration of the fanbase and the peers who he has worked for and with during his tenure here.

I, for one, am proud to say that Todd Dodge has been a part of UNT, and I hope he continues to be a part of UNT even if he is relieved of his duties as Head Coach.

:thumbsup:

We should all start looking forward, albeit we know discussing the past is much about what these collegiate smack board forums are about, too. But.....to quote another poster from another thread somewhere on this board, we should all raise our expectations and I see the new stadium as a huge influence in making that happen.

GMG!

When I say that Dodge is a class act - I am only referring to his comments about the school and the fans. It is a direct contradiction to our last two head coaches that went out with guns a blazing. Nothing more, nothing less. If you can find a comment that Dodge has made to the press where he spoke badly of the school, the opportunity, the fans, or of the administration - I might reconsider my stance.

I can't recall Dodge ever saying anything in public that reflected poorly on UNT. If you combined his attitude with Dickey's results, he'd be opening up the stadium next year and we'd all be expecting great things.

I can't recall Dodge ever saying anything in public that reflected poorly on UNT. If you combined his attitude with Dickey's results, he'd be opening up the stadium next year and we'd all be expecting great things.

Actually, not quite - DD only had a total of three winning seasons! Even if he was a better public face for the university, DD still would not be opening the stadium.