What It Would Cost To Part Ways With Dodge

Eagle-96

http://meangreenblog...ves/2009/11/23/

I got to thinking about the difference in cash between firing coach Dodge and "re-assigning" him within the department. Vito has a good write-up that helps clarify some of the economics of RV's impending decision. Keep in mind this was written last season so the University would only be on the hook for one year.

Edited by Eagle-96

No to dumping Dodge mid-season. What would that accomplish in aiding this team? Besides, the "7 win" threshhold is not out of reach at this point. And, NO FRIGGIN' WAY would I want to see Mike Leach as the UNT head coach.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 12

No to dumping Dodge mid-season. What would that accomplish in aiding this team? Besides, the "7 win" threshhold is not out of reach at this point. And, NO FRIGGIN' WAY would I want to see Mike Leach as the UNT head coach.

Some people just hate winnin... ;)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

Why would you say no to Leach?

Edited by untStein

If RV fires/re-assigns Dodge after the 6th loss it would allow the 30-day hiring window to start in mid-October. That would allow RV to hire a new coach in mid November if he needed to. This would allow a new coach to start the process of hiring assistants and start the process of hitting the recruiting trail much earlier then we did for Dodge's first season. It would also pump some blood into the fan base for the last half of the season and maybe put some more butts in the seats. 6 weeks can make all the difference in the world in the recruiting game.

• Upvote 2

Why would you say no to Leach?

Guy has no class and is not the type of human being I would want representing my university. There are plenty of other quality coaches that UNT can talk with when and if that time comes that could bring the wins without the idiot personality and classless attitude that Leach would bring. Just my opinion. There are as many Tech folks extremely happy to see Leach gone as there are those that miss him...at least among my Tech friends. I prefer to see UNT build a winning program with class.

• Upvote 3

Guy has no class and is not the type of human being I would want representing my university. There are plenty of other quality coaches that UNT can talk with when and if that time comes that could bring the wins without the idiot personality and classless attitude that Leach would bring. Just my opinion. There are as many Tech folks extremely happy to see Leach gone as there are those that miss him...at least among my Tech friends. I prefer to see UNT build a winning program with class.

I hear what you're saying. I guess I'm not sure what constitues Leach's lack of class. Among my Tech friends it was unanimous that they wanted him in Lubbock. It's a moot point. He ain't coming here.

• Upvote 1

KRAM is a prime example of why Leach will have problems getting a head coaching job with a Big 6 conference. Personally, I think this is good for our chances.

KRAM, I assume you call him an idiot because of his personality, not his coaching? Maybe he will come here more humbled by his experience. If he were hired, he would give us instant credibility, provide an immediate boost in donations to the program (because alums would realize that we are finally serious about college football), and give a HUGE boost to recruiting.

It will take at least a half million a year to get him. BOR, Make the commitment.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Your stance will change once people outside of this board give a damn about UNT football.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

KRAM is a prime example of why Leach will have problems getting a head coaching job with a Big 6 conference. Personally, I think this is good for our chances.

KRAM, I assume you call him an idiot because of his personality, not his coaching? Maybe he will come here more humbled by his experience. If he were hired, he would give us instant credibility, provide an immediate boost in donations to the program (because alums would realize that we are finally serious about college football), and give a HUGE boost to recruiting.

It will take at least a half million a year to get him. BOR, Make the commitment.

A half million wouldn't even start to get Mike Leach. I don't think a million

would get him. ;)

GO FROGS!!!!

GO MEAN GREEN!!!!

A half million wouldn't even start to get Mike Leach. I don't think a million

would get him. ;)

GO FROGS!!!!

GO MEAN GREEN!!!!

If he wants to coach again, I believe it will.

Read KRAM's post and you will see why big schools will stay away. They wont touch him until he proves he can play nice at a smaller football school.

He may have offers after his second year here (assuming he wins, which is never a given), but at least we will have him for those 2 years.

Don;t forget, there are only 120 of these jobs in the world, and there will only be 10-20 job openings this year.

Edited by UNT90

If he wants to coach again, I believe it will.

Read KRAM's post and you will see why big schools will stay away. They wont touch him until he proves he can play nice at a smaller football school.

He may have offers after his second year here (assuming he wins, which is never a given), but at least we will have him for those 2 years.

Don;t forget, there are only 120 of these jobs in the world, and there will only be 10-20 job openings this year.

If Leach coaches next year, IF he coaches next year, it will be for Washington State, Arizona State, or Colorado.

If RV fires/re-assigns Dodge after the 6th loss it would allow the 30-day hiring window to start in mid-October. That would allow RV to hire a new coach in mid November if he needed to. This would allow a new coach to start the process of hiring assistants and start the process of hitting the recruiting trail much earlier then we did for Dodge's first season. It would also pump some blood into the fan base for the last half of the season and maybe put some more butts in the seats. 6 weeks can make all the difference in the world in the recruiting game.

great idea!

agree....if TD isn't the guy, quit wasting time...out the door. Put Canales in as acting HQ and see how he does while you look around for a new coach...Opening the new stadium with this BS is disaster...not to mention Uof H will kick the *hit out of us...now RV, how much money was it you were wanting me to send you in support of MG football when i can hardly even watch it because it is sooooo bad?

If Leach coaches next year, IF he coaches next year, it will be for Washington State, Arizona State, or Colorado.

Before Leach's Red Raiders went into the new unchartered waters of Top 10 status, Leach was said to have been looking for brighter lights than he was getting in Lubbock and he was also having problems negotiating a new contract with TT AD Gerald Meyer, too.

I don't know why Leach self-destructed with the James situation when he basically was telling the Tech administation and BOR's to go to hell. That insubordination alone turned me off of this guy even when it happened. We've all had those above us that we might not agree but we still give them the respect that they're due. Yes, Leach would probably do a bang up job in Denton, but I think someone else could to.

IMHO, if we need to replace TDodge in the next few weeks or month, UNT now knows it can't go the "project route" of unproven coaching commodities for its next NCAA FBS Head Football Coach; in fact, our situation is so unique now that it demands we hire a name coach. Unique? How many times in the space of 100 years does a university debut a brand spanking new football stadium? So it is that that makes our possible hiring situation at UNT completely different than in most of our lifetimes.

I think fate, karma or whatever you want to call it now demands this (name coach) for our next hire and all many of us older f@rt$ would say is: It's about damn time--been there--done that but done real good when we were there before during most of the 1970's--enough on that decade. :rolleyes:

And yes, I was a TDodge supporter back when we were looking just like many of you, but we had no idea we would ever be building a new stadium at the Mean Green Village--"IF" UNT had had new stadium plans on our table post-DD firing, all bets to have any HS coach for UNT would have ceased--we did try that with Dennis Parker which many of us seemed to have forgotten so in effect, we did not learn from our past. NOTE: Fouts Field through the years whether we would admit it or not most always in the back of our minds kept our true upwardly mobile expectations and aspirations in a downward mode.

I like the fact that our new stadium is raising all our expectations; it's almost like a huge tide just washed onto the Mean Green Village and we're all rising right along with our new football battleship (if you will) that is so very strategically located between those 2 Texas interstates. And wasn't all of this such a predictable scenario of attitude for all of us in the UNT community?

IMO, the New Stadium + A Name HFC equation is a no-brainer. We can't think small time anymore, folks, small time makes its exit on November 27'th when we close Fouts Field down forever plus.........small time thinking can no longer be in the cards because of that $175 million dollar stadium we are building as we all post! :blink::unsure::) (just kiddin' on the cost total, but it did get your attention for one brief shining moment, right)? :lol:

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

The cost is relative to the revenue that would be generated by a winning program developed by a known coaching genius.

Mike_Leach.jpg

I think at most universities who have had losing streaks, you see the results you are talking about quickly. But Flyer, we won 4 conference championships, went to 4 bowls, and still nothing much in the way of donors changed. I went to a function the other night and there were the same donors there as there were ten years ago. Then there was talk of get rid of Dickey, and there will be more donations. Bottom line is, as you know more than anybody, without the students there would be no new stadium. You have people on this board who are waiting on a new conference before giving. What will be their excuse be when we get into a new conference?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1