Dodge Deserves Better Fans

the real grad88

i love this board. can never take it too serious when winning or losing or loosing.

Believe me, I take losing seriously. I know you don't enjoy comedy being introduced in threads much at all (you've made that more than apparent over time), but ya know sometimes all one can do is laugh at things to keep from getting ticked off. And if a thread calling out our FANBASE for NOT GIVING DODGE ENOUGH TIME is not open for being run off the rails by comedy - What the hell is?

And for the record, I was just piggybacking on a fellow poster who had quoted from a certain film in about 3 different threads - obviously having reached a similar conclusion as myself that some levity should taken.

Edited by CMJ

In spite of the hand they were dealt, I think defense played reasonably well… Offense played as well as one can expect, without the #1 or #2 QB and with a decimated O line. I agree injuries are part of the game, but this is ridiculous. Just rediculous! The sad thing is that from what I saw in camp, I thought the team was about to emerge from its past.

I feel that TD'S first couple of years was not well utilized …with the high school coaches they accomplished little. He has now assembled a good staff but injuries have clouded their potential. The sad thing is that injuries sustained aren’t sprains or dislocations; they are the broken bones and injuries that keep them out for the season. But there is hope. We can still win 6.

The athletic director has been generous with his patience, but it is unfortunate that TD’s final judgment as a coach will be based upon his team’s performance, this season. I have re-read threads from years back, threads about our former coach…DD, how fans were very eager to run him out of town. All I ask is that we are careful for what wish...The grass away from yours always looks greener....BE CAREFUL!

Dodge and the program needs the fans to rally around him/them like a family right now. Would anybody want to be in his shoes right now? I say he's a man just for sticking it out and staying positive with the team. Hang in there Dodge, you and team will get through this.

You deserve a -1.

What do you think the fan base has been doing for the past 3+ years. Show me another team that has played this bad and still managed to increase attendance.

It's a job. If he can't do it, he can't stay.

7 wins. No excuses.

• Upvote 1

In spite of the hand they were dealt, I think defense played reasonably well… Offense played as well as one can expect, without the #1 or #2 QB and with a decimated O line. I agree injuries are part of the game, but this is ridiculous. Just rediculous! The sad thing is that from what I saw in camp, I thought the team was about to emerge from its past.

I feel that TD'S first couple of years was not well utilized …with the high school coaches they accomplished little. He has now assembled a good staff but injuries have clouded their potential. The sad thing is that injuries sustained aren’t sprains or dislocations; they are the broken bones and injuries that keep them out for the season. But there is hope. We can still win 6.

The athletic director has been generous with his patience, but it is unfortunate that TD’s final judgment as a coach will be based upon his team’s performance, this season. I have re-read threads from years back, threads about our former coach…DD, how fans were very eager to run him out of town. All I ask is that we are careful for what wish...The grass away from yours always looks greener....BE CAREFUL!

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. I could not have said it better.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

In spite of the hand they were dealt, I think defense played reasonably well…

what reasoning? No.

Offense played as well as one can expect, without the #1 or #2 QB and with a decimated O line.
Low expectations?

I feel that TD'S first couple of years was not well utilized …
Smartest thing you and realgrad88 have said yet.

We can still win 6.
we could...unlikely...but we could. Nothing to get uptight about with others not believeing this on the board.

The athletic director has been generous with his patience, but it is unfortunate that TD’s final judgment as a coach will be based upon his team’s performance, this season.
You've got to be kidding me. Really? REALLY? Surely you don't believe this. The boot up his ass will not be based solely (no pun intended) on this season. You're smokin' if you believe that.

I have re-read threads from years back, threads about our former coach…DD, how fans were very eager to run him out of town. All I ask is that we are careful for what wish...The grass away from yours always looks greener....BE CAREFUL!
The deal with this is that when you wish for a new coach, you wish for a successful coach. Todd Dodge did not work out. It was a risky try. Now, I wish for another coach. Another try. A better effort in coaching searches. Perhaps when we secure naming rights to the new stadium (I hear we are close!) we can afford "more" coach. The grass is greener on the other side of losing. The grass is greener. Go Mean Green!

I think that there is an important distinction that needs to be made here. The fans are paying to to watch Dodge fail as a coach. The fans will be here when Dodge is gone, for better or worse. The coach is paid to get this team competitive for every game and to bring in more fans. I don't think the Dodge deserves better fans, the fans deserve better from Dodge.

• Upvote 1

6 Losing Years In A Row: The attendance UNT has had in spite of DD's last 2 years of under .500 and now TDdoge's 4 year losing record shows me that many people are still supporting the Mean Green and Todd Dodge and had been hoping to be in attendance when his own personal turn-around would happen.

Folks, there are still many of Todd Dodge "the man" fans on GMG.com, but we are now all looking at the reality of the situation at hand, especially with players he would have had to have to turn this thing around not going to get to play for the Mean Green the rest of this season. Can Coach Dodge pull a 12'th hour kind of miracle and save it all? Yes, it's possible but with all that has happened after 3 games--probably improbable.

:thumbsup: Todd Dodge from what many of you have told me is a man of character and principle and if he lose his job at UNT mid-season or full season he will probably see that as opportunity to get a better match for himself elsewhere. Of course, with one year still left on his contract he would have a year to do a most comprehensive research.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

6 Losing Years In A Row: The attendance UNT has had in spite of DD's last 2 years of under .500 and now TDdoge's 4 year losing record shows me that many people are supporting Todd Dodge and had been hoping to be in attendance when his own personal turn-around would happen.

Nope. It shows that many people are supporting the University of North Texas and/or like tailgating and the new and improved game day atmosphere. It's in SPITE of the terrible football team and stunningly inept coach.

No one I know is hoping for the team to start winning so this "great man of integrity" can start his own "personal turn-around"... they want the team to start winning so UNT starts stinkin' winning. Period. I could care less what "personal" effect this has on Football Trilli.

Edited by CaribbeanGreen

Nope. It shows that many people are supporting the University of North Texas and/or like tailgating and the new and improved game day atmosphere. It's in SPITE of the terrible football team and stunningly inept coach.

No one I know is hoping for the team to start winning so this "great man of integrity" can start his own "personal turn-around"... they want the team to start winning so UNT starts stinkin' winning. Period. I could care less what "personal" effect this has on Football Trilli.

Well, if we can get a man of integrity who can also elevate Mean Green football somewhat to how it was when Fry had one of his Mean Green teams in a Top 20 poll (and not our decade long Bottom 25 scavenger hunt) I think we will all be a winner.

GMG!

PS: I've seen Mean Green fans not support coaches in the past by not showing up. Remember that photo of an all but empty Fouts Field during an NMSU game that I believe FFR took during the DD era? It was quite an eye opener.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Well, if we can get a man of integrity who can also elevate Mean Green football somewhat to how it was when Fry had one of his Mean Green teams in a Top 20 poll (and not our decade long Bottom 25 scavenger hunt) I think we will all be a winner.

GMG!

PS: I've seen Mean Green fans not support coaches in the past by not showing up. Remember that photo of an all but empty Fouts Field during an NMSU game that I believe FFR took during the DD era? It was quite an eye opener.

Decade long scavenger hunt? Surely you're talking about starting AFTER the four straight championships, bowl games, and coach of the year awards, right??

And yeah... those photos were taken under a pathetic athletic administration which didn't allow tailgating or any semblance of game day experience... not to mention dismal facilities, no hope for a new stadium, no new AC, nada. It was a disaster, arguably the worst FBS facilities and game day experience in the country.

Do you honestly think that during the run of championships people were "not supporting coaches" by not showing up??? Really??? Don't you think that that same team in this new insanely improved environment would be setting attendance records as we had home games to clinch bowl bids and blow out lesser foes?? The crowds would be insane (by our standards), no matter who is coaching. The difference in crowd level because someone is either "supporting" or "protesting" a coach is insignificant.

Mr/Ms Eaglegreen thanks for being civil...

Please note that I am not pleased with what I've seen, but don’t let your eyes lie to you. Deloach and his guys have done decent job this season. The defense has done well. Check how many 3 and outs…Check from where they had to defend. Please look at the tapes. Offense and special teams haven’t helped much.

All I say is be careful for what you wish...The Grass Is Always Greener Over the other guys fence...be careful, it always looks good over a septic tank...

Although the scores don’t indicate it, I feel that our program is on the way back...

All I say is be careful for what you wish...The Grass Is Always Greener Over the other guys fence...be careful, it always looks good over a septic tank...

When you are standing in the mud/septic crap mixture where we find ourselves today, any grass looks good, green or not.

Dont compare Dodge and DD. Although I certainly am no fan of his, DD did WIN THE CONFERENCE TITLE 4 YEARS IN A ROW! Dodge has given us 5 wins in 4 years, and will have a hard time getting #6 this year.

Don't compare the 2.

Mr/Ms Eaglegreen thanks for being civil...

Please note that I am not pleased with what I've seen, but don`t let your eyes lie to you. Deloach and his guys have done decent job this season. The defense has done well. Check how many 3 and outs?Check from where they had to defend. Please look at the tapes. Offense and special teams haven`t helped much.

Although the scores don`t indicate it, I feel that our program is on the way back...

Yes, the defense has played better and has given us chances to win. However, the fact remains that we do not tackle well. We were decent tacklers during DeLoache's first stint, but I remember too many times where we went for the big hit instead of tackling. I don't see us going for the big hits now, but we still miss to many tackles. I've said this before, and I still believe that we need to put the fastest person we can find in a full body suit, cover them in grease, and make the team wrap him up and tackle him. We also need to eliminate the big plays. Tackling will help, but teach the DB's that a 15 yard pass interference is better than being burned for a 50 yd score.

Yes, the defense has played better and has given us chances to win. However, the fact remains that we do not tackle well. We were decent tacklers during DeLoache's first stint, but I remember too many times where we went for the big hit instead of tackling. I don't see us going for the big hits now, but we still miss to many tackles. I've said this before, and I still believe that we need to put the fastest person we can find in a full body suit, cover them in grease, and make the team wrap him up and tackle him. We also need to eliminate the big plays. Tackling will help, but teach the DB's that a 15 yard pass interference is better than being burned for a 50 yd score.

Find nothing to disagree with...

Dodge and the program needs the fans to rally around him/them like a family right now. Would anybody want to be in his shoes right now? I say he's a man just for sticking it out and staying positive with the team. Hang in there Dodge, you and team will get through this.

td doesn't crap....he has destroyed what was left of unt football....while getting paid pretty well for being the biggest failure in unt history..he is paid to do a job...and has failed big time...should have been fired 2 yrs ago...where are you RV ?....and how are we going to look opening the new stadium getting our ass kicked by Houston...not the best selection either. If you think about it..UNT has been in the bottom of college football most of your life...for some, that is all they can remember...RV..you are going to loose your fan/student base if you are not careful...or maybe your job...the culture, management...everything about unt football seems to have been mismanaged....when will it end? TD=disaster.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

If this was his first or second year as coach, I'd agree with you. But this is year number four and he has yet to prove anything besides, "we're always just 3-7 points short."

Let me ask you a question - if you were a coach and you had a player on scholarship for 4 years that wasn't producing, would you keep him? I wouldn't. He's eating up scholarship money he isn't earning. Right now, Dodge isn't earning his pay. I would even let it slide if he put up 3 or 4 wins per season, but that isn't the case. In short, Dodge is wasting the money of fans, alumni and students. Any money that is going into his pocketbook is currently being wasted because not only has he failed to produce results, he's done so consistently. I'd venture to guess that we can get a better coach. Heck, Canales is halfway there. And with schools like Troy and FAU managing to land great head coaches on limited budgets, there's no reason that we can't.

Dodge either pulls a Dickey 2002 or he's gone.