North Texas Rice Game Thread

PerryG2480

2 things:

It looked like they put an air cast on Tune's leg before they put him in the ambulance. Doesn't look good at all.

A fan in C was blasting Dodge at the end of the game and Rick Villareal almost came into the stands and had to be restrained. He was mad and it almost got ugly. He stared him down and then started walking to the stands.

Maybe, as an employee of everyone buying season tickets or putting their kids in this school, Rick should direct his anger towards his employees. If he has a problem with the people that are paying his bills, he ought to look elsewhere.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

ATTENDANCE IS BAD BECAUSE GOING TO THE GAMES IS PUNISHMENT. CAN SOMEONE TELL ME TODD DODGES RECORD AGAIN??? UNT LEADERSHIP....YOU ARE A BUNCH OF CLOWNS. I HOPE V AND DODGE ARE FIRED THIS YEAR. RILEY....YOU ARE FREE TO GO AS WELL. YOU KNOW THAT FEELING WHEN YOU TALK TO YOUR FRIENDS ABOUT YOU PLAYING NCAA FOOTBALL WITH THIS RECORD/KNOWING YOUR TEAM SUCKS. THAT FEELING IS HOW US UNT FANS HAVE FELT FOR YEARS. WELCOME TO THE CLUB.

Glad to see we have another classy poster grace us with their presence. Were you the classless moron in Section C?

For those of you criticizing the play calling, don't forget this Canales' offense now and he makes the calls. I choose to believe that this will be a wakeup call for this team and we will start a big win streak beginning next week.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

2 things:

It looked like they put an air cast on Tune's leg before they put him in the ambulance. Doesn't look good at all.

A fan in C was blasting Dodge at the end of the game and Rick Villareal almost came into the stands and had to be restrained. He was mad and it almost got ugly. He stared him down and then started walking to the stands.

Stay classy RV, and we wonder why we do not have donors knocking on our doors.

Man this game made me sick to my stomach. I hate that we lost such a close one. It is really frustrating that me and Todd have been at UNT the same amount of time, and he has yet to provide us with wins. Im not going to knock him because Im not one of those fans. But damn this loss hurts, and I hope Tune is going to be alright.

I agree with Monkeypox, running the same exact f***ing play 3 times in a row in the redzone is stupidity. QB bootleg three times in a row. Is that going to take them off guard? Maybe, but, with it developing so slowly and out to the right the defense has plenty of time to adjust. It may have fooled Odessa Permian, but Rice is better than that.

The way those plays work is you show them something to set them up for something else... not to just telegraph what you're doing with it. Regardless, the package never quite worked, so I have no idea why you use it, in exactly the same way, on 3rd and short deep in your own territory with a defense that's crashing your line all night. I was dumbfounded.

Glad to see we have another classy poster grace us with their presence. Were you the classless moron in Section C?

You don't even know what the guy in Section C was yelling. How do you know it was classless?

I choose to believe that this will be a wakeup call for this team and we will start a big win streak beginning next week.

I'll have what he's drinking.

For those of you criticizing the play calling, don't forget this Canales' offense now and he makes the calls. I choose to believe that this will be a wakeup call for this team and we will start a big win streak beginning next week.

Sorry Lifer if this is not classy, but Dodge is still the boss. General Cornwallis was very classy, lining his troops up in single file so the Continental Army could whip his ass all the way back to England. You are asking for a class from the fans (investors), why don't you ask for our employees to show some accountability.

I have a favorite BBQ place to eat at down here. The sign on the wall says, "Free BBQ tomorrow."

I go in the next day and the sign says the same thing. Have I had free BBQ? No. Do I expect it? No. I'm sure some people are foolish enough to believe it.

I don't want good football tomorrow. I want it today.

• Upvote 2

He told the players that they WON & the coaches LOST. Didn't curse once that I heard. Not classless , just a unhappy fan.... and who the hell can blame him

I can. Players failed in their blocking assignments. Players threw interceptions and fumbled. Players kicked it out of bounds on the kickoffs. This was a team loss, and no one, and I mean no one, can escape blame in it. Every phase of the game failed tonight. So yes, I can blame him for making stupid comments that, if they weren't so ludicrous, could only have served to what? Drive a wedge between the players and coaching staff?

• Upvote 1

I can. Players failed in their blocking assignments. Players threw interceptions and fumbled. Players kicked it out of bounds on the kickoffs. This was a team loss, and no one, and I mean no one, can escape blame in it. Every phase of the game failed tonight. So yes, I can blame him for making stupid comments that, if they weren't so ludicrous, could only have served to what? Drive a wedge between the players and coaching staff?

I totally agree this was a team loss. I'm saying who the hell can blame him for being unhappy. Would I have yelled like that ? No. Did I want to? yes.

If a fan yelling can divide this team then this team has even more issues than I thought

I understand that we almost won this game. That is not enough though. This team has GOT to learn how to beat someone. At this point in Dodge's tenure, these are the types of games we should be winning. Ultimately, it all falls on the coach. He's had more than enough time. I predict 4 wins this year. Some of the Belt teams are better than Rice. I just hope that RV cleans house so that we can start a new era of North Texas football off in a new stadium under a new coaching regime.

Edited by PerryG2480

Was it just me or did it look like everyone on the defense froze when someone missed a tackle like they didnt know how to react or just assumed the tackle was going to be made?? This was definitely a problem when the Rice back broke into the secondary, when Hill made the diving tackle. On a side note for next against Army, i thought the defense played the run pretty well tonight.

• Downvote 1

You got it all wrong. You see, players on all teams whether BCS or NAIA will make mistakes. Thats part of the game. It's the coaches job to overcome those mistakes by calling the right plays at the right time in the game! When your team has the ball on its own 2 yard line, time running out and nursing a small lead you DON'T go climb into a hole. Who in that stadium didn't know what Riley Dodge was going to do with that ball on third down!!!

Furthermore, 90% of the people in that area agreed with what that dude was saying. I was there and the grumbling about the coaching was more prevalent then you might think!

The coaches lost this game. NOT the kids! We have the talent. We should have won this game.

Terrible special teams. Too many turnovers. Too many dropped balls. I thought the defense was fairly good considering special teams and the offense kept putting them in horrible situations.

Close doesn't matter. The truth is, if we can't beat Rice, we can't win 7 games.

I don't care who people want to blame. It's year 4, take your pick.

Like most of you, I was at the game. I'm very disappointed and continue to see the same mistakes & the ridiculously bad special teams play. There are no moral victories this year, IMO. Win is a win, loss is a loss. Rice could've let the kickoff go out of bounds at least two more times, some questionable play calling inside the redzone & short yardage. 2 down 4 to go.......................

Yeah RV has given Dodge every chance to show himself and he never does...my gosh this game was huge and again we lose but yet RV gets the blame?

Harry you and I know only a fool would blame RV. This man has done more for UNT Athletics than everyone before him combined. I would not have a problem with naming the new stadium after him. He deserves it. He has earned it!

Edited by meangreenbob

The coaches lost this game. NOT the kids!

I disagree and am shocked that this is the prevailing thought on this game.

Special teams play was horrendous. Muffed kickoff, blocked punt, kicking out of bounds, letting punts that should be fair caught go over their heads, boneheaded penalties... Ugh! The only things I could possibly lay at coach Gandy's feet are the punts that should have been fair caught, and MAYBE the blocking on the blocked punt (depends on if a player missed his assignment). Everything else was player mistakes. These things were probably done a million times during practice without these dumb mistakes (or I'm sure coaches would have corrected that), and we all knew going into this season that our kicking game was going to be the weakest link of the team. What can coach Gandy do about that? What can coach Dodge do about that??

On offense, we were fantastic. Shovel pass to Dunbar was awesome! Tune to Stradford for 75yds was awesome! I was scratching my head when they decided to run the same Zone-read play with Riley in the Rice red zone too. But, coach Canales calls the plays around here correct? Some poor throws by Tune (some great throws by Tune too!) and how on earth do any of the coaches catch the sure TD that a scrambling Thompson threw to JJ, only to see him drop it? How is this Canales' or Dodge's fault?

On defense, WOW! These guys did great considering the field position they were given all day. It seemed like every 1st half Rice drive started within field goal range. Great play from these guys and I gotta give coach DLo & Dodge some credit. This unit, other than a few instances of poor tackling and 2-3 poor 1-on-1 cb play(where the loss of Ford hurt us badly), I can't find much fault here. The vaunted RB McGuffie had 18yds on 14 carries! If Dodge is torn down for other mistakes, where is his praise for the way the defense played?

Good Gosh people! THE TEAM (including players & coaches) LOST THIS GAME!

Everyone who says moral victories are no good, you're absolutely right. Hopefully our guys learn from last night and improve. Coaches need to do their jobs of pointing out and helping correct mistakes, and players need to perform.

• Upvote 4

Uh - oh . . . regarding the Section C dust-up. I'm coming from Upstate New York to attend the Ark State game as my last game at Fouts -- I attended my first game at Fouts in Fall 1960, when I had moved to Denton as a 9th grader . . . I have loved NTSU/UNT since and made sure I got one degree from NT . . . and yes, sure enough, my seat is in Section C. Where was the guy? I know what my row/seat is -- maybe I can get it changed. At least, I'll also be able to be at the Army game -- in the end zone, of course.

Sigh.

I am not privy to what goes on inside the lockerroom, but I doubt that the players and coaches have given up (at least, I hope not!). And until they do, we shouldn't either. If a new regime is needed once the season is over, OK, then we begin supporting that and doing whatever we can to get things turned around. (Navy idea -- No matter how big the ship, it find a space in which to turn around -- if a carrier can do it, we can.) But mostly, I am adamant about supporting the players regardless -- I teach at a university, am a faculty rep on the Intercollegiate Athletics Advisory Board, and deal with student-athletes alot . . . believe me, they work too hard with a schedule that most of my students couldn't survive for two days, much less in-season AND off-season. They deserve out unqualified support.