Karim York

Cooley

Ive been told SMU currently leads for York, but they already took a 4/3 in this class and have another visiting this weekend, who many think will commit. They're also in better shape w/Cannen Cunningham than most realize and lead for Jalen Jones. Anyway, they have the ships available, but how many can they take at roughly the same position?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Ive been told SMU currently leads for York, but they already took a 4/3 in this class and have another visiting this weekend, who many think will commit. They're also in better shape w/Cannen Cunningham than most realize and lead for Jalen Jones. Anyway, they have the ships available, but how many can they take at roughly the same position?

I heard SMU also is in the lead for Austin Rivers...

No...I love legit information...I don't like an SMU fan who happens to go to church with an assistant coach or who's son is a ball-boy or who's daughter is bangin' Coach Doh on the side thinking he's getting real inside information and that SMU is "leading" in the recruiting process for top area kids when that school hasn't had a winning season since 2002-03, their coach will probably be out the door after another losing season and when Doherty has signed exactly 1 Texas freshman in his past 4 (including 2011) recruiting classes...and that kid was from Houston.

So, if the shit you're throwing up against a wall sticks, congrats on a really solid recruiting class...but I'll wait for it to happen. I, like the rest of the posters here, will just be concerned with the kids coming to Denton and what UNT has to offer up against the legitimate programs, like Creighton, who also happen to offer. Plus, once York signs elsewhere, you can justify it by saying SMU never offered and that he's not C-USA material.

Blah, I work in basketball and have for over 15 years. I've never once come here to bait UNT fans, just enjoy actual hoops conversations. You have some good fans. I'm not bragging about SMUs recruiting class, nor will I should it materialize, and I'm not a Doh fan. Now, if you want to go to war, I'll bury you like I do everyone else when it comes to basketball & recruiting, mostly cause I'm actually paid good money to be on the inside. If you want random info, cool. If you want to be a sunshiner, that's fine too, but don't come at me for providing some actual insight, as opposed to just posting links to random articles, where kids tell school publishers what they want to hear.

FWIW, just b/c SMU didn't offer Norris doesn't diminish Norris as a UNT verbal. He's a good player. SMU wanted Jordan Williams and it was a very good get for UNT. Win some, lose some. Stop being so defensive.

As for SMU, everyone knows they struggle locally. That said, your numbers on their Texas signings are pretty far offbase. York is a good player, and I'm sure he has an SMU offer, but it's about to be first come, first serve. They already have a verbal from a 4/3 and may get another this weekend. All that means is that UNTs chances could go up. No different than Tech bringing in a big last week, may effect his Tech offer. If Tech and SMU go a different route, doesn't it stand to reason that UNT has a better shot? That was my only point.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6

Blah, I work in basketball and have for over 15 years. I've never once come here to bait UNT fans, just enjoy actual hoops conversations. You have some good fans. I'm not bragging about SMUs recruiting class, nor will I should it materialize, and I'm not a Doh fan. Now, if you want to go to war, I'll bury you like I do everyone else when it comes to basketball & recruiting, mostly cause I'm actually paid good money to be on the inside. If you want random info, cool. If you want to be a sunshiner, that's fine too, but don't come at me for providing some actual insight, as opposed to just posting links to random articles, where kids tell school publishers what they want to hear.

FWIW, just b/c SMU didn't offer Norris doesn't diminish Norris as a UNT verbal. He's a good player. SMU wanted Jordan Williams and it was a very good get for UNT. Win some, lose some. Stop being so defensive.

As for SMU, everyone knows they struggle locally. That said, your numbers on their Texas signings are pretty far offbase. York is a good player, and I'm sure he has an SMU offer, but it's about to be first come, first serve. They already have a verbal from a 4/3 and may get another this weekend. All that means is that UNTs chances could go up. No different than Tech bringing in a big last week, may effect his Tech offer. If Tech and SMU go a different route, doesn't it stand to reason that UNT has a better shot? That was my only point.

I suppose the fact that I took 6 minutes out of my day to write two paragraphs may have obscured the point, so for that, I apologize...

I...and I'd be willing to bet 95% of the regular basketball posters here...don't give a damn about SMU basketball. You're inconsequential to us as you won't schedule us and since Bryan Hopkins I can't think of a player the two of our schools went head-to-head on for a recruit. Like I said, I love legitimate information...and if you want to give me a list of York's offers and talk to me about his strengths and weaknesses as a player I'd love to hear it. However, 90% of your posts, including the one I referenced above, look like they belong on the SMU board...and they come off very much stinking of a fan's bias.

If you're actually as connected as you imply...lovely. The more information on here the better...but let's just try and stay relevant.

:huh: ...I guess the red kool-aid is even stronger than the green kind...

I suppose the fact that I took 6 minutes out of my day to write two paragraphs may have obscured the point, so for that, I apologize...

I...and I'd be willing to bet 95% of the regular basketball posters here...don't give a damn about SMU basketball. You're inconsequential to us as you won't schedule us and since Bryan Hopkins I can't think of a player the two of our schools went head-to-head on for a recruit. Like I said, I love legitimate information...and if you want to give me a list of York's offers and talk to me about his strengths and weaknesses as a player I'd love to hear it. However, 90% of your posts, including the one I referenced above, look like they belong on the SMU board...and they come off very much stinking of a fan's bias.

If you're actually as connected as you imply...lovely. The more information on here the better...but let's just try and stay relevant.

UNT is inconsequential to SMU as well, no debate there. I'm sure many SMU fans would love to see the schools play yearly. Always loved the idea of a UNT/TCU/UNT/UTA pre-season tourney etc. That said, scheduling UNT doesn't make a ton of sense for SMU, as it can only hurt, not help. Beating UNT does nothing for SMU, and losing is bad form and entirely possible. As for relevance, both schools are on many of the same players this year, so discussing Williams/York/Jones is pertinent, even Norris to an extent.

My perspective may have an SMU bias, but I'm not here to flame or anything of the sort. Creighton will meet w/York this upcoming week. Simply, Yorks offers are slimming down cause some the schools recruiting him are filling up. That bodes well for both UNT & SMU, should either of those schools really go all-in on York. Cheers!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 6

That said, scheduling UNT doesn't make a ton of sense for SMU, as it can only hurt, not help. Beating UNT does nothing for SMU, and losing is bad form and entirely possible.

That is a stupid statement. Scheduling NT would benefit both SMU and UNT. More fans would show up...you guys would come to Denton, we would come to Moody. Actually SMU beating UNT helps your program because you are beating the better program and team. And you also have to recruit against us so you making that statement really shows your arrogance and/or ignorance. This isn't the SWC SMU days anymore brother. SMU is pretty irrelevant and June Jones will be Mustang Jesus for the school but beyond that nobody here cares about SMU athletics. It's time to get your heads out of your arses and start thinking about what is best for SMU athletics locally.

UNT is inconsequential to SMU as well, no debate there. I'm sure many SMU fans would love to see the schools play yearly. Always loved the idea of a UNT/TCU/UNT/UTA pre-season tourney etc. That said, scheduling UNT doesn't make a ton of sense for SMU, as it can only hurt, not help. Beating UNT does nothing for SMU, and losing is bad form and entirely possible. As for relevance, both schools are on many of the same players this year, so discussing Williams/York/Jones is pertinent, even Norris to an extent.

My perspective may have an SMU bias, but I'm not here to flame or anything of the sort. Creighton will meet w/York this upcoming week. Simply, Yorks offers are slimming down cause some the schools recruiting him are filling up. That bodes well for both UNT & SMU, should either of those schools really go all-in on York. Cheers!

Us Beating them is Entirely Possible????? Are you kidding me....its an Absolute....SMUT couldn't hold NT's Jockstrap in Basketball.

• Upvote 2

Here's perspective from a guy who has seen a burgeoning UNT-SMU rivalry squashed by the Ponies:

In 1975-1976....Blakely's first year.....we go to Moody.....the place was packed.

In 1976-1977....SMU comes to Denton.....the game draws our biggest crowd ever....10,300. People were even sitting in the aisles that you walk down.

Before the second game (the one in Denton) was EVEN PLAYED.....SMU coach Sonny Allen announced that they wouldn't be playing us any more.

Since then....the games between us have been so few and far between....that a rivalry could never re-develop.

Yeah....I guess playing in Moody, against OOC opponents that have no local appeal....is the answer for SMU. Because in SMU math...a crowd of 1800 against Texas State > a crowd of 9,000 against UNT.

• Upvote 2

You guys are the homers here, not me. That's SMU's AD stance on scheduling UNT, and it's not really up for debate. SMU has nothing to gain by playing, and possibly losing to a local, its that simple. It doesn't matter how many tourneys UNT has been to recently, b/c SMU is the more profile program & job nationally, always will be. They have too much money, and are considered a sleeping giant in industry circles. Better conference affiliation etc. I know, I talk to coaches & reps every single day. You folks know just as well as I do, that they are going to go big next hire and will have a slew of high end coaching options. Can you say that when JJ hauls?

When UNT is in the position to deny SMU a game, I hope they do so. I'm all about playing all comers, but get over yourselves. You wouldn't definitely beat SMU, nor would Vegas even favor you if it was at Moody. UNT would be a very average CUSA team, just like SMU. I'm all about logical discourse, but the fact you guys think you're vastly better than SMU, mostly b/c you've achieved some success in a lesser league, stinks of polyanna.

Seriously, how does playing UNT help SMU in any way? Quit w/the kneejerk garbage responses and give me one reason SMU should play UNT

• Downvote 7

Here's perspective from a guy who has seen a burgeoning UNT-SMU rivalry squashed by the Ponies:

In 1975-1976....Blakely's first year.....we go to Moody.....the place was packed.

In 1976-1977....SMU comes to Denton.....the game draws our biggest crowd ever....10,300. People were even sitting in the aisles that you walk down.

Before the second game (the one in Denton) was EVEN PLAYED.....SMU coach Sonny Allen announced that they wouldn't be playing us any more.

Since then....the games between us have been so few and far between....that a rivalry could never re-develop.

Yeah....I guess playing in Moody, against OOC opponents that have no local appeal....is the answer for SMU. Because in SMU math...a crowd of 1800 against Texas State > a crowd of 9,000 against UNT.

I agree, attendance would be fantastic. I love it, if only b/c I'm dying to see both teams in big time environments. That said, why does SMU care about a few extra bucks, if it puts their ass on the line? They don't, and have the money not to care. Give me something better than a few extra bucks on the spreadsheet

Seriously, how does playing UNT help SMU in any way? Quit w/the kneejerk garbage responses and give me one reason SMU should play UNT

For attendance, and because it would be a QUALITY win for smu if they could pull it off. We were 104 spots ahead of yall in year ending RPI last year...smu does not play UNT because they don't have the balls to, not because there would be no benefit if they won.

Never understood why the four metroplex teams don't play every year. The ole "nothing to gain" argument has always been stupid but now it is down right ridiculous. What has SMU got to gain from playing Florida Gulf Coast, Texas State or Occidental? At a time when it is very difficult to get a descent home schedule because none of the big time programs want to play away, it makes great sense to establish local rivalries and play home and away series that local fans can all go to.

The basic truth is that SMU, TCU and North Texas all need attendance boosts and all could do much better in recruiting local talent. I fail to see how TCU and SMU avoiding NT accomplishes anything for their programs. Wouldn't it be great, if the four local schools actually formed a type of allegiance to build up rivalries and promote local college basketball. Maybe if they did they could get some casual fans to actually take interest and attend a local game instead watching UT or the Mavericks on TV. Also with more local interest, it might be possible to kept a few more of the great basketball players this area spawned here.

SMU has nothing to gain by playing, and possibly losing to a local, its that simple.

Then why do they play TCU in football every year? Do they not gain anything from that? Your logic is flawed. Sure TCU is a long time rival, but they are also local, and SMU also has no shot to beat them in normal years.

• Upvote 2

Let's be fair - SMU is not a high profile job. It never really has been. It would be easier to make SMU's job more high profile because CUSA is a higher basketball rated conference than the Belt. However, I'd say WKU is a much higher profile school than all but 2 CUSA schools (UTEP and Memphis) - and has about as much history as anyone can claim for never being in a Major conference, so really conference affiliation doesn't mean a whole helluva lot.

At the moment, UNT is a better job than SMU because JJ has made it that way. That's not to say we would beat the Ponies easily if we played. Hell, we've lost to UTA 3 out of the last 4 times or whatever it is, so obviously in a metroplex rivalry situation anything is possible. Does the fact we have a better program mean SMU won't get their shit together in the future? Not at all, programs wax and wane. But SMU is not a sleeping giant the way say...DePaul is (now THAT is a sleeping power program if there ever was one). But the Mustangs have no leg to stand on saying they are a better program than we are. They outclass us in zilch. The last time I can remember SMU being relevant was the mid 90's. If they beat us it would hurt us more than it would help them.

• Upvote 3