Ranking The Sun Belt Facilities

MeanGreen61

We just don't have fan support... True, we could definitely improve here. But a 2-10 team over the last several years still draws top of the Belt in attendance. Someone else can verify, but I think we were top 3? That sounds pretty good to me.

• Upvote 2

Guest JohnDenver

I didn't know fans (people) were required when judging facilities (buildings/equipment).

It didn't rate training rooms, study rooms, film rooms, dorms, practice fields, etc. I consider all that facilities.

What did we a erage in Basketball attendance? I thought it was interesting that the FAU line was saying that they need a new basketball place but they first need to fill the 2,700 seat place they currently have? Don't we draw more than that into the pit?

That is about what we averaged a game last year, which is more than FAU and FIU combined....

i am pretty sure the last 3 or 4 home basketball games were at 3,000 + which brought up our attendance in a down year...the hype of another 20 win team and winning the division made people come out to those games and we also had a good student showing at Hot Springs...one of the problems with the attendance number is we had a noon game this season and i think 4 home games during Christmas break, that killed our overall numbers, better scheduling needs to be done to take advantage of when us students are in town....i really think we are building our foundation of students and i think attendance will be 3,500 + on average for the season next year/

Edited by bstnsportsfan3
  • Upvote 1

Disregarding his stupid asides, the guy is only rating the football stadium and basketball arenas, a long ways from assessing total athletic facilities. I assume he is apparently a reporter who has actually seem all the facilities he is rating so his opinions on this subject may be better than his assessment of athletic programs. Actually he rates NT very high when you consider he is reviewing Fouts. I have not seen in person; Troy, MTSU, or WKU; so it is hard to argue. From all accounts, WKU basketball area is the standard having gone through an extensive re-model. They also spend a lot on expanding and improving their football stadium. He does state that NT could move up to two with the new stadium, I guess WKU is untouchable in his mind.

I have wondered how WKU seems to have the resources to have the biggest budget in the Belt. I am sure their basketball program helps but they are just starting out in FB division football. You would not think that a relatively poor state would have money to burn on college athletes.

i am pretty sure the last 3 or 4 home basketball games were at 3,000 + which brought up our attendance in a down year...the hype of another 20 win team and winning the division made people come out to those games and we also had a good student showing at Hot Springs...one of the problems with the attendance number is we had a noon game this season and i think 4 home games during Christmas break, that killed our overall numbers, better scheduling needs to be done to take advantage of when us students are in town....i really think we are building our foundation of students and i think attendance will be 3,500 + on average for the season next year/

Last 6 games UNT averaged nearly 4,000 (3,926) a game. High of 4,672 vs UALR to 3117 vs ASU.

We just don't have fan support... True, we could definitely improve here. But a 2-10 team over the last several years still draws top of the Belt in attendance. Someone else can verify, but I think we were top 3? That sounds pretty good to me.

Not to mention FOUTS...I don't come to the games because of Fouts...when that changes, I come back for games. I am sure I am not the only one>

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 8

Not to mention FOUTS...I don't come to the games because of Fouts...when that changes, I come back for games. I am sure I am not the only one>

Really a sad statement from someone who considers himself a supporter of UNT. If UNT played in Denton High's stadium I would expect our fans to show up and support the program.

If you live in Houston, that might be a better understood reason why you don't come to games, but not coming because of Fouts? Really? You are kidding, right? This says something about a good many people who say they support the program, but seem to find reasons why actually to not do so. Really, Fouts, Fouts is the reason...the only reason, you don't support the team with your attendance? Please explain further, as on the surface of it, it really seems like just an excuse. I'll certaily be open to further review if you would care to explain further.

• Upvote 3

Disregarding his stupid asides, the guy is only rating the football stadium and basketball arenas, a long ways from assessing total athletic facilities. I assume he is apparently a reporter who has actually seem all the facilities he is rating so his opinions on this subject may be better than his assessment of athletic programs. Actually he rates NT very high when you consider he is reviewing Fouts. I have not seen in person; Troy, MTSU, or WKU; so it is hard to argue. From all accounts, WKU basketball area is the standard having gone through an extensive re-model. They also spend a lot on expanding and improving their football stadium. He does state that NT could move up to two with the new stadium, I guess WKU is untouchable in his mind.

I have wondered how WKU seems to have the resources to have the biggest budget in the Belt. I am sure their basketball program helps but they are just starting out in FB division football. You would not think that a relatively poor state would have money to burn on college athletes.

I have not seen WKU's facilities in person but he seems to give them a lot of credit for atmosphere and attendance, not just the facility. Their football stadium is very small looking, nice but small and low.

I have not seen WKU's facilities in person but he seems to give them a lot of credit for atmosphere and attendance, not just the facility. Their football stadium is very small looking, nice but small and low.

7gameweek014.jpg

I don't have anything against the Hilltopper's stadium, but what's that on the far left side and corner of the picture?? That thing they're trying to cover up with that ugly piece of 1970s Astroturf couldn't possibly be a track could it? And what's does proximity to a large city have to do with ranking the actual facilities?

The writer does at least project us to be #2 when the new stadium is complete, but I'd have to say that will make us a clear-cut #1.

Not really getting the love for Diddle. Reading about it, it has a couple practice courts attached, which is nice, and a few luxury suites. Beyond that, the Pit is bigger, holds more, and is newer.

At the very least, I don't see what makes Diddle "best in the Belt" and the Super Pit "not a bad basketball arena". My guess is this guy has never been to it.

Not really getting the love for Diddle. Reading about it, it has a couple practice courts attached, which is nice, and a few luxury suites. Beyond that, the Pit is bigger, holds more, and is newer.

At the very least, I don't see what makes Diddle "best in the Belt" and the Super Pit "not a bad basketball arena". My guess is this guy has never been to it.

I don't know....I've read many media types talk about how great Diddle Arena is. I think ESPN or SI even said it was one of the most underrated venues in the country a few years ago

Edited by CMJ

When Diddle was remodeled and luxury boxes installed, capacity was downsized.

Edited by MeanGreen61

I don't know....I've read many media types talk about how great Diddle Arena is. I think ESPN or SI even said it was one of the most underrated venues in the country a few years ago

It always gets high marks even from the Green broadcast crew. I did see several on the Belt board who think that USA' s Mitchell Area is as good or better. I have attended games there and I prefer the Pit. It is like a lot of the new arenas reminds me of McDonalds, a lot of plastic and bright colors. I could care less about suites, I never been in any that offered a really good view of the game.

Here's another shot:

WFXSFVNIQQKRCXA.20081017201254.jpg

Those stands on the right are the original, and used to be the only stands that stadium had until the new section (left) was added to the opposite sideline recently. It was just an empty sideline before that! Not sure what the new capacity is, perhaps 25K?

Here is an artist's rendering of the new completed stadium...

ncf_wkustadium_275.jpg

Edited by NT80