Smu Vs. Nevada In Hawaii Bowl

gangrene

I agree whole heartedly. You look at MUTS early in the week and you look at SMU last night and it is amusing that we think we should be above the SBC. Until alums and students are willing to put in $$$ (I mean a $20. student fee and $25K for club seats) We are not now where we belong, but we soon will be ---back in the SLC! We must have the worst SLC QB of the last two decades. He is surely in no class with McElroy or Padron. As much as I despise the arrogance that is SMU my hat is off to them. Biggest turnaround this year in NCAA D-1. In two years they will be where TCU is now and we'll be trying to make the FCS i.e. 1AA playoffs

and not gripe about having to pay the minimum $$$ per non suite seat or $$$ minimum for a group of seats. Wal-Mart is a pretty good description of the state of our program. And before you say "well a new stadium is on the way", yes that is true. BUT even some Wal Marts, like the one on the tollway, are pretty classy looking. Yet, still a bargain store.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You actually couldn't be more wrong. It is precisely when SMU fans started to refuse accepting mediocrity that this turnaround happened. Meanwhile let's continue our mantra of "just wait til next year" and see where that gets us.

Really? So no alumni dollars were required to bring June Jones to town? Again, I repeat what I said before--without alumni willing to contribute, last night never happens for SMU.

Enough alumni have abandoned UNT's athletic program already. Please tell me how that's helping us get beyond mediocrity.

I'm not saying anyone should "accept mediocrity." And I'm not sure where in my post I said anything about your mantra of "just wait till next year." But it takes commitment from everyone--alumni included--to get beyond mediocrity.

and not gripe about having to pay the minimum $$$ per non suite seat or $$$ minimum for a group of seats. Wal-Mart is a pretty good description of the state of our program. And before you say "well a new stadium is on the way", yes that is true. BUT even some Wal Marts, like the one on the tollway, are pretty classy looking. Yet, still a bargain store.

I wouldn't compare our program to a wal-mart. I don't have a problem with wal-mart. Its some of the people that shop there that I have a problem with ( Just check out peopleofwalmart.com ).

I think our program is more like a cheap used car lot. You can't get too mad when you get stuck with a lemon, because you knew you were not willing to spend much money, and I think in most situations, you get what you pay for.

Having said that, I still think changes should have been made after finishing 2-10, again, because not making changes is like, pushing a broken car to work. I rather walk.

I wouldn't compare our program to a wal-mart. I don't have a problem with wal-mart. Its some of the people that shop there that I have a problem with ( Just check out peopleofwalmart.com ).

I think our program is more like a cheap used car lot. You can't get too mad when you get stuck with a lemon, because you knew you were not willing to spend much money, and I think in most situations, you get what you pay for.

Having said that, I still think changes should have been made after finishing 2-10, again, because not making changes is like, pushing a broken car to work. I rather walk.

Yep, our credit rating is so bad that we are forced to shop at the used car lot. What we need to do is examine how our credit rating (lack of alumni contributions) got to the point it is at and avoid ever letting that happen again, while continuing to rebuild our credit. Most of this starts with the administration. They need to show a long term commitment to athletics (pretty much done), foster a relationship with current students to ensure a connection after they graduate (getting there), after all, these are your future contributors, show a commitment to winning over finance (huge step backward this year), and reach out to disconnected alumni in an attempt to get them back (sorely lacking).

It is pretty simple. Win. Win and it will be much easier to reconnect with alumni. Win and you will draw current students to the games, making a connection for the future. Win and you prove your commitment to winning.

This is why I think the decision to keep Coach Dodge, hell, to keep any coach that has a 5-31 record after 3 years, is a disaterous decision. It sends a message to your disconnected alumni that you don't care about winning. That may not be the truth, but the disconnected alumni is not close enough to the program to hear all the ins and outs. All they know is the team has been bad for 3 years and there are no consequences. And what thought runs through their mind? SAME OLD UNT. Which puts you right back from where you started.

Edited by UNT90

Really? So no alumni dollars were required to bring June Jones to town? Again, I repeat what I said before--without alumni willing to contribute, last night never happens for SMU.

Enough alumni have abandoned UNT's athletic program already. Please tell me how that's helping us get beyond mediocrity.

I'm not saying anyone should "accept mediocrity." And I'm not sure where in my post I said anything about your mantra of "just wait till next year." But it takes commitment from everyone--alumni included--to get beyond mediocrity.

At this point, I'd actually be somewhat please with mediocrity. Unfortunately, we're no where near that level right now. To be "mediocre" we'd have to be somewhere around .500 and, last time I checked, we haven't been a .500 team in a number of years.

At this point, I'd actually be somewhat please with mediocrity. Unfortunately, we're no where near that level right now. To be "mediocre" we'd have to be somewhere around .500 and, last time I checked, we haven't been a .500 team in a number of years.

Agreed. I only used the term "mediocrity" because I was responding to a poster who used the term.

My point stands.

Yep, our credit rating is so bad that we are forced to shop at the used car lot. What we need to do is examine how our credit rating (lack of alumni contributions) got to the point it is at and avoid ever letting that happen again, while continuing to rebuild our credit. Most of this starts with the administration. They need to show a long term commitment to athletics (pretty much done), foster a relationship with current students to ensure a connection after they graduate (getting there), after all, these are your future contributors, show a commitment to winning over finance (huge step backward this year), and reach out to disconnected alumni in an attempt to get them back (sorely lacking).

It is pretty simple. Win. Win and it will be much easier to reconnect with alumni. Win and you will draw current students to the games, making a connection for the future. Win and you prove your commitment to winning.

This is why I think the decision to keep Coach Dodge, hell, to keep any coach that has a 5-31 record after 3 years, is a disaterous decision. It sends a message to your disconnected alumni that you don't care about winning. That may not be the truth, but the disconnected alumni is not close enough to the program to hear all the ins and outs. All they know is the team has been bad for 3 years and there are no consequences. And what thought runs through their mind? SAME OLD UNT. Which puts you right back from where you started.

You use the word "rebuilding" quite a bit. With the exception of the win and loss record of Dodge, and the OOC of Dickey, this has been probably the best decade for UNT football. We have a new stadium on the way, but unfortunately we are building, not rebuilding. This program has been in a building mode from day 1, never having enough success to notice a drop off. There has never been much in the way of alumni contributions, it has certainly not gone backwards. We do have some suites and donations for the stadium. And I agree, making connections with the current students now will pay off in the future. That is something that no administration in my lifetime up to Pohl has ever done. It will be an uphill battle to connect back with the pre-1995 graduates I think. It will take more than a winning record. 4 conference championships did not do it.

Edited by Green Dozer

I don't think any of the three played in the game.

Kaepernick was one of the three (2nd leading rusher, in fact) and played in the game.

The Nevada fans were telling us that it wasn't the backs - it was the O-Line. They pointed to Mike Ball having something like 5 touchdowns in only 18 carries in a game where Taua and Lippencott were out earlier in the season. If they were right, and it was the O-Line, then SMU's defensive effort needs to be commended. Something tells me that the O-Line contributed, at least a bit, to the success that Taua and Lippencott had earlier this season.

Bottom line - SMU is back (and it feels great). We were a lot further away from success than you guys are right now, and we made it. UNT can get to this level as well - you just have to get the right guy in at the head coaching position, and that takes a long time sometimes. Don't fret, UNT will be back in the bowls soon.

And speaking of being in the bowls, if the Mean Green ever get invited to the Hawai'i Bowl, by all means, go. It was a tremendous experience for the fans, and I am told that the players really enjoyed themselves, as well.

45-10. I still can't believe it happened. Go Ponies, and Go Mean Green as well. You guys deserve to have a competitive program as well.

Kaepernick was one of the three (2nd leading rusher, in fact) and played in the game.

The Nevada fans were telling us that it wasn't the backs - it was the O-Line. They pointed to Mike Ball having something like 5 touchdowns in only 18 carries in a game where Taua and Lippencott were out earlier in the season. If they were right, and it was the O-Line, then SMU's defensive effort needs to be commended. Something tells me that the O-Line contributed, at least a bit, to the success that Taua and Lippencott had earlier this season.

Bottom line - SMU is back (and it feels great). We were a lot further away from success than you guys are right now, and we made it. UNT can get to this level as well - you just have to get the right guy in at the head coaching position, and that takes a long time sometimes. Don't fret, UNT will be back in the bowls soon.

And speaking of being in the bowls, if the Mean Green ever get invited to the Hawai'i Bowl, by all means, go. It was a tremendous experience for the fans, and I am told that the players really enjoyed themselves, as well.

45-10. I still can't believe it happened. Go Ponies, and Go Mean Green as well. You guys deserve to have a competitive program as well.

CONGRATULATIONS TO THE MUSTANGS. Don't let anyone here try to cheapen your accomplishment. You probably got more exposure by going to Hawaii than by winning C-USA and you were only a whisker away from acheiving that. Kyle Padron is what we envisioned Riley Dodge could have been. Instead we get an oft injured, arrogant, weak armed cry baby, and you got a stud for years to come. I hear that other SLC players are clamoring to get offers from SMU. On the bright side we will soon be building one of the nicest FCS stadiums in the country. I would predict by the time our contract begins in 2014 SMU will be where TCU is today and NT will be just like playing any other SLC patsy that both SMU and TCU now schedule as a breather. I am one that contributes heavily in $$$$ and time to the NT program for the last 50 years and not since the years of the old SWC and Craig James well paid "Pony Express" have I seen the gaps between the programs this wide.

CONGRATULATIONS TO THE MUSTANGS. Don't let anyone here try to cheapen your accomplishment. You probably got more exposure by going to Hawaii than by winning C-USA and you were only a whisker away from acheiving that. Kyle Padron is what we envisioned Riley Dodge could have been. Instead we get an oft injured, arrogant, weak armed cry baby, and you got a stud for years to come. I hear that other SLC players are clamoring to get offers from SMU. On the bright side we will soon be building one of the nicest FCS stadiums in the country. I would predict by the time our contract begins in 2014 SMU will be where TCU is today and NT will be just like playing any other SLC patsy that both SMU and TCU now schedule as a breather. I am one that contributes heavily in $$$$ and time to the NT program for the last 50 years and not since the years of the old SWC and Craig James well paid "Pony Express" have I seen the gaps between the programs this wide.

I see no need to insult any member of our team. These students choose to be at North Texas, and deserve our support. It is one thing to comment on the play of a player, but we shouldn't promote personal attacks that insult any of our players with mean comments. These are our players. They all play for the University of North Texas, and I believe they play to the best of their abilities.

Thank you for your $$$$ support and time. What I do not appreciate is your cheap shots at Riley Dodge nor any other player. To say that a player is not playing well is one thing, but you are way out of line in your criticism. No amount of donated money gives you the right to show such a lack of respect, especially to players that you claim you support financially and with time. By time, do wash the sock and jocks or what? Sell programs or peanuts? Just because you do not like his dad, and obviously do not like Riley is no excuse to be so vicious in your attacks. Football is a game, Riley's decisions have not cost one human life. Your posts at times show me that your are arrogant, weak, and certainly have been no stud at any point just as you accuse Riley of not being. Do you know Riley personally? And how do you know SLC players are clamoring to get offers from SMU? Who really cares? Since you are so excited about SMU, why don't you take your time and money and head on over to the hilltop at Mockingbird and Central? I think you will fit in quite well.

Edited by Green Dozer

Yes, kudos to SMU, but otherwise this is an incredibly moronic post.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98

However you get the math to add up, alumni willing to contribute can make great things happen.

Yeah well, NT's money math doesn't add up at the speed SMU's does. And now the good chancellor has guaranteed it will stay that way in relation to cultivating alumni from the law industry. So we will have to settle for earning our success, as we always have, the old fashion way: Step by step and a little at a time.

Rick

As someone mentioned it was the QB change during the season to Padron that made a bigger difference in their year, more than the coaching. Players produce or don't produce.

A quarterback change that June Jones seemed unwilling to consider until his chosen starter, Bo Levi Mitchell, was injured seriously enough that he had to be replaced. Other than for Mitchell, was there a little luck for SMU in that?

A quarterback change that June Jones seemed unwilling to consider until his chosen starter, Bo Levi Mitchell, was injured seriously enough that he had to be replaced. Other than for Mitchell, was there a little luck for SMU in that?

All indications were that Padron was going to play in the 2nd half of the UH game even if Bo Levi Mitchell were not injured. Those close to the program said that Jones saw that Mitchell would not be able to handle the pressure's of being the program's top QB after the Washington State game. At that time, the decision to remove Padron's redshirt and prepare him were made, and they were planning on bringing him on in limited time vs. UH to see how he did.

BLM's injury in the second quarter of that UH game sped the process up a bit, obviously.

Rick - multiply your number (10) by 2 and you have the number of donors in the "Circle of Champions" (donors giving $100,000 per year each to finance Jones' salary). Rumored members of this Circle of Champions are Gerald J. Ford, Ray Hunt, the guy in charge of Brookshire's Supermarkets, and Eric Dickerson, to name a few. No member names have been released, however, so it's possible that none of these guys are among the 20.

To all - I've seen the sketches of your new stadium and believe it will work wonders for your program. It's a beautiful facility that screams "top-notch" all the way (whereas Fouts screams "half-a**" - no offense). The new facility should help recruiting, and with better recruiting will come better results. It's also my personal belief that Todd Dodge is a great guy, but he's just not the right fit for the UNT program (think he would have been a better choice as an offensive coordinator, rather than as a head coach). Put the right coach in the new facility, and UNT could become scary good very fast.

yes, it was a real dog and pony show. zzzzzzzzzzzing.

I just think it's great that all three metroplex teams had winning seasons and bowl wins this decade! That speaks volumes about where Metro football is today versus where it was in the 90's and even the 80's. Many towns don't get that kind of entertainment at every turn.

Congrats to SMU and good luck TCU! They get a big stage in a few days.

Mean Green will be back and 2010 will be great! Either we win or we get change and hope - keep the faith Mean Green and support our alma mater, our kids, our traditions, and and our great name!

GO MEAN GREEN!!!!!