Student Housing Planned For Fry

KingDL1

This is awful...

This really is a prime commercial strip of land, it really is. Such a shame tat more student housing is on the way.

I really wish the old development of new resturants and retail comes back into play. Give CVS the damn drive-thru and instead of this terrible idea.

It would work great if they did a mixed use with retail on the bottom and apartments on top. Great for staggering home drunk. But I doubt they will give them the multi-family zoning either.

• Upvote 1

This is awful...

This really is a prime commercial strip of land, it really is. Such a shame tat more student housing is on the way.

I really wish the old development of new resturants and retail comes back into play. Give CVS the damn drive-thru and instead of this terrible idea.

agreed. what a sad situation the community leaders have put us in.

I have not followed this story so I don't know much on the subject , but are they doing this to maybe try to keep as many students as possible close to campus ? All the major campuses that I've ever been on there are a ton of student housing withing walking distances to each university building. I know it makes the game day experience much more enjoyable during football games. We have always been tabbed as a commuter school , maybe they are trying to change this ?

Like I said , I don't know the story so If Im wrong just fill me in.

I have not followed this story so I don't know much on the subject , but are they doing this to maybe try to keep as many students as possible close to campus ? All the major campuses that I've ever been on there are a ton of student housing withing walking distances to each university building. I know it makes the game day experience much more enjoyable during football games. We have always been tabbed as a commuter school , maybe they are trying to change this ?

"They" being who? The university has nothing to do with this, and I doubt the property owners care whether students live close to campus or not.

This is an awful idea. We don't need more apartments, we need more commerce.

"They" being who? The university has nothing to do with this, and I doubt the property owners care whether students live close to campus or not.

This is an awful idea. We don't need more apartments, we need more commerce.

Its not the property owners first choice to build apartments. But they are losing money sitting on the land. I think in the best case they would like to build a mixed use, this was turned down originally Denton at that time did not want apartments, I wonder if they Denton that has changed. I saw the original site plans and it was really cool mostly street front retail and the rest was second level apartments.

Edited by KingDL1

They also have a ton of retail and dining across the street. What NT needs to do is use the run down apartments to the north of Fouts as target practice for the Air Force. Once they are all gone, build those into student apartments. 99% of the people who are renting those apartments give NOTHING to the school, and probably don't even know the university's name. The only time they can be seen is when they are strolling through tailgating munching off our food. Turn that into student apartments. Use Fry and Ave C for retail/dining.

The development people had a CVS Pharmacy lined up. Area property owners claimed the drive-thru in the CVS Pharmacy would be dangerous and not mix well with the neighborhood. It seemed to me that a compromise would be a CVS without a drive-thru. But I guess that's out of the question. So now, we're going to see at least 210 residents of the apartment complex coming and going at all hours. More or less dangerous ? Better or worse mix with neighborhood ?

As far as the commuter school image, these students will still be considered commuters. Are students commuting because there is no housing near the campus ? there are tons of apartments in Denton, although the better properties are not near the campus.

The development people had a CVS Pharmacy lined up. Area property owners claimed the drive-thru in the CVS Pharmacy would be dangerous and not mix well with the neighborhood. It seemed to me that a compromise would be a CVS without a drive-thru. But I guess that's out of the question. So now, we're going to see at least 210 residents of the apartment complex coming and going at all hours. More or less dangerous ? Better or worse mix with neighborhood ?

As far as the commuter school image, these students will still be considered commuters. Are students commuting because there is no housing near the campus ? there are tons of apartments in Denton, although the better properties are not near the campus.

Why would a drive-thru be dangerous? Silly stuff but CVS requires them for most their locations. Some of the city council need to be sued.

A drive thru at a CVS is in the parking lot same as if you walked in and picked up your meds, then drove out.

The development people had a CVS Pharmacy lined up. Area property owners claimed the drive-thru in the CVS Pharmacy would be dangerous and not mix well with the neighborhood. It seemed to me that a compromise would be a CVS without a drive-thru.

You want to bet the "area property owners" sell similar merchandise to the CVS but don't have the advertising budget? Suggesting that a pharmacy drive-thru is somehow dangerous doesn't pass the laugh test.

Edited by VideoEagle

Its been two years, these developers should bring back the entire development for a re-vote, I work with the city on a daily basis on a project I am doing here in Denton. I am about two weeks from obtaining my bldg permit and it has been a nightmare, believe me....It has been almost 8 months and I am just building a 2300sqft bldg on infill property.

But the city wants the land to be developed because it is an eyesore, it has sat there for over 3 years, if they rehatched their plans they will win even witht the CVS and the drive-thru.

Put in more bars, clubs, retail, resturants, and build all of the bldgs to be at least three stories and have residential lofts on top. IT would be perfect. Make Denton a nightlife destination.

Sounds like a great idea, although I think the last sentence is years away - unless you are coming from Argle or Proper.

It could happen half the year. All it takes is a few consecutive weekends of some students staying in town for the weekend and the places will become "cool". An area even close to a sixth street environment (and believe me, THIS is what gets development anywhere near fry killed by Dentonites) combined with a little winning by our teams could be a miracle worker. It's the "off-season" that's the scary part.

You know, perfect example....

On Dallas Drive in Denton, theres Spicy Treasures, an adult sex store in the middle of Denton. I went inside for the first time the other day to check it out for myself, they sell Huge Dildos, Vibrators, Inflatable Women, you name it and the city was okay with their existence. Across the street from spicy treasures is where my rental property is located.

Across the street from the sex shop, is where my property was, Premier Gardens, an outdoor plant store during the spring season, which was raided, yes raided by the planning and code enforcement officers and the business was shut down, citations were given to the owner and they were forced to shut down and relocate in (1) day, even though they were an allowed use business in that location as a seasonal business.

There is an ongoing internal investigation going on in the COD as to why they were shut down and if it was on purpose. They were within the law to be there and were raided as if it was an illegal business. The city is in big trouble for shutting down their business and running off the third- straight tenant from that particular property. That is why I am developing the property into something different for re-use and the city has blackballed that developement since April 09.

The only reason this isnt in the newspapers or in the local media, is because I told the city, I dont want Denton to have another black eye from bad publicity and want developers to come here in and develop Denton and I kept it under wraps. Call the local city managers office (940) 349-8200 and ask them why this happened.

Also ask the city why 12 inch dildos can be sold on one side of the street and plant bedding and shrubs couldn't be sold on the other side of the street. What ever happened to keep Denton beautiful.

Edited by UNT_playmaker

Also ask the city why 12 inch dildos can be sold on one side of the street and plant bedding and shrubs couldn't be sold on the other side of the street. What ever happened to keep Denton beautiful.

well....some may think that 12 inch dildos are beautiful...just saying....it's an impressive sight....

Edited by radiogreen