I'm Conflicted

emmitt01

On one hand we won, the offense was near flawless and the defense showed a pulse late. Nice to have a win to talk about.

On the other hand we did all of these positive things against arguably the worst team in football. They are bad, real bad. I just don't want to get too high only to be brought back down to earth by ULM. Our defense WILL give up points again. Our offense might be this potent again. I've been down this road after Ball State.

On one hand we won, the offense was near flawless and the defense showed a pulse late. Nice to have a win to talk about.

On the other hand we did all of these positive things against arguably the worst team in football. They are bad, real bad. I just don't want to get too high only to be brought back down to earth by ULM. Our defense WILL give up points again. Our offense might be this potent again. I've been down this road after Ball State.

Agreed. We should of never been in a position in the 1st place to have to battle back for the win.

To make things worse SMU knocks off a very good Tulsa team today.

All 3 DFW teams WON toady , when was the last time that happended ?

Edited by NT03

And UNT may lose 3-4 more games this year. It's pretty simple. Right now, UNT is about a middle of the pack SBC team. Until there is more depth on the DL, and more size, they will continue to give up points because they have difficulty stopping the run and pressuring the QB. They can score enough points on all but the top echelon SBC teams to win at this point, but they cannot stop offenses reliably that are on this level. Special teams have improved, but are inconsistent because they are young and inexperienced.

UNT needs another year to recruit, bulk up, and mature. It's happening. Slowly.

Considering the sorriness of the opponent, that was the most frustrated I have ever been with this defense. Terrible tackling. Undisciplined penalties. The entire first half they get burned by the same exact play over and over (sweep left with cutback). No pressure on the QB. If not for the QB strip late in the 4th, we probably lose this game.

Once our defense took WKU out of their rhythm, WKU became a shell of themselves on offense. But, why did it take so long to figure them out when almost every fan knew which play was coming from WKU ?

Despite the win today, the last 3 games overall have been very discouraging from a defensive standpoint. With just an average defense, this is a pretty good NT team we have. But, our defense right now looks a lot like last year.

Earlier this year, I thought that 2010 would be a big breakout year for this team. I am not so sure right now, because even with a more explosive offense, you cannot expect to have to score 50+ points a game to win. And, our defense has a long, long way to go before they become average.

I admit that losing Tobe hurt a bit. But, there is no excuse for todays performance.

Anyway, kudos to the offense for rolling like they did, despite the frustration they must have felt at not being helped at all by the defense.

At least we got the win. This place would have been absolute mayhem if we would have lost todays game.

If anyone gets excited after giving up 49 points to the worst team in college football, they deserve the let down that will come the rest of the season. I'm very happy we won, but I also know who we beat, and that we had to go deep into the 4th to assure victory.

I really hope Coach To oge an Coach Gary eloach can get this efense to hol anyone on our remaining scheule to uner 40 points.

Edited by UNT90

This was a meaningless win. We beat the #120 team in D1 and it took us 4 quarters to do it.

The worst team in the country hung 49 points on us in 3 quarters.

"A meaningless win". That, shaft, is the most meaningless comment made all year! A 1 win team gets their second win and you call it meaningless. Get real. A win is a win and this team needed a win. Meaningless my foot!!!

By the way...were you in attendance???? Just wondering.

GO MEAN GREEN!

This was a meaningless win. We beat the #120 team in D1 and it took us 4 quarters to do it.

The worst team in the country hung 49 points on us in 3 quarters.

[/quote}

Yet, you are posting about it on the gmg forum--sure must have been meaningless, especially to the team and the fans that attended. Go follow UT or OU or some other school, like New Mexico. Your posts are the equivalent of used papers at the bottom of a birdcage.

Had UNT won the game 40 to 14, it would have seemed to me that we took care of business. If we disregarded the first half, that's what the score would have been.

But that's why you play two halves of football.

With this thinking, we also beat MTSU, FAU, and Troy, with our only conference loss coming against LaLa.

We are Sun Belt Champs of the second half. :D

Guest GrayEagleOne

We can't take a lot of positive away from this game. We beat the worst team in the SBC, after a struggle, by 19. The entire win margin came in the fourth quarter. But, there may have been 'signs' that we are at least trying to turn the corner.

WKU has some good talent but they are literally young. Eighty percent of their team is true freshmen, redshirt freshmen or sophomores. In their eyes, it was their only chance to break a winless season and they played like it. So we weren't dealing with the typical #120 team. They played as hard as they were capable for as long as they were competitive. By the time that we finally got the upper hand, they were gassed.

I saw an offense controlled by a quarterback that is beginning to come into its own. But the offense has seldom been the problem this year. They have had to play from a comeback position because the defense failed to stop the opponent; particularly in the second quarter. This offense, when healthy, can compete with all but the upper echelon of the SBC.

The defense is another matter. This is the most inept defense that I can recall in my history of North Texas; and that goes back to 1947. Not once in the first half (three quarters?) were the Toppers forced to punt or go for it on fourth down. Pathetic tackling. Pathetic recognition. Pathetic penetration. Pathetic effort. I'd try another adjectitive if my vocabulary contained a stronger word.

What is really scary is what would likely have been had DeLoach not come down from the booth to read the riot act on the sidelines. He needs to stay on the sidelines, even if it means a few broken headsets.

I can't believe that our defensive tackles are that bad but for 3/4 of the game I've never seen a more inept crew. Do they still train daily? Did someone slip a NFL line across from them? Can they not react to the same (successful) play run at them ad nauseum?

This team will never rise above the Bottem Ten as long the defense is this bad. If it takes everyone on the roster to find players who will fly to the ball and tackle when they get there, then I hope that they'll do it. Otherwis, there won't be anymore wins (or fans) the rest of this year. Worry about redshirts another year when we are competitive. Maybe we can recruit some better talent. The time for change is now. There are jobs, attendance, recruits and monetary support on the line. Who will show up against ULM?

The defense is another matter. This is the most inept defense that I can recall in my history of North Texas; and that goes back to 1947. Not once in the first half (three quarters?) were the Toppers forced to punt or go for it on fourth down. Pathetic tackling. Pathetic recognition. Pathetic penetration. Pathetic effort. I'd try another adjectitive if my vocabulary contained a stronger word.

What is really scary is what would likely have been had DeLoach not come down from the booth to read the riot act on the sidelines. He needs to stay on the sidelines, even if it means a few broken headsets.

I can't believe that our defensive tackles are that bad but for 3/4 of the game I've never seen a more inept crew. Do they still train daily? Did someone slip a NFL line across from them? Can they not react to the same (successful) play run at them ad nauseum?

This team will never rise above the Bottem Ten as long the defense is this bad. If it takes everyone on the roster to find players who will fly to the ball and tackle when they get there, then I hope that they'll do it. Otherwis, there won't be anymore wins (or fans) the rest of this year. Worry about redshirts another year when we are competitive. Maybe we can recruit some better talent. The time for change is now. There are jobs, attendance, recruits and monetary support on the line. Who will show up against ULM?

I really don't see our defense getting much better this or next season. I posted in another thread that if the initial staff knew nothing about who could play on the offensive side of the ball in D1 during their first recruiting season, they for sure had no idea who could on the defensive side of the ball. Throw in that DeLoach took over for Mendoza in year two probably means very little attention was paid again to the recruiting of defensive players during that time also. The last time DeLoach was here he had Russell who was an excellent recruiter for the defense and special teams which we don't have now. There just simply isn't much talent on the defensive side to work with. We lose a great player and defensive leader in Tobe and we have what we have. I don't know what the answers are, but this team will not win anymore games this year and frankly I believe the expectations of 4-5 wins for this year should be the goal of next year.

The win kept RV from firing Dodge on the spot.

Tied after 3 quarters with the #120 team.

Seriously, you might be the worst poster on this board--which is saying something. If you think that RV would do this, you have been seriously misled. AGAIN, the AD has said that this year is ALL about being competitive, not wins and losses. NO chance Dodge will be fired this year, nor next year, if he wins 4-5 games. That is the from the mouths of the folks in the SIDs office, not mine. Shaft, you are delusional if you believe otherwise.

We can't take a lot of positive away from this game. We beat the worst team in the SBC, after a struggle, by 19. The entire win margin came in the fourth quarter. But, there may have been 'signs' that we are at least trying to turn the corner.

WKU has some good talent but they are literally young. Eighty percent of their team is true freshmen, redshirt freshmen or sophomores. In their eyes, it was their only chance to break a winless season and they played like it. So we weren't dealing with the typical #120 team. They played as hard as they were capable for as long as they were competitive. By the time that we finally got the upper hand, they were gassed.

I saw an offense controlled by a quarterback that is beginning to come into its own. But the offense has seldom been the problem this year. They have had to play from a comeback position because the defense failed to stop the opponent; particularly in the second quarter. This offense, when healthy, can compete with all but the upper echelon of the SBC.

Jack, the most inept defense I've ever seen at NT was Mendoza's defense. I saw what looked like a promising 7 player DL roation at the beginning of the year. And now since about the fourth game of the year I start yelling for them to GET A DAMN RUSH ON THE QB, starting about the middle of the first quarter.

WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED? Are some of the defensive linemen playing hurt and they're not telling us?

Jack, the most inept defense I've ever seen at NT was Mendoza's defense. I saw what looked like a promising 7 player DL roation at the beginning of the year. And now since about the fourth game of the year I start yelling for them to GET A DAMN RUSH ON THE QB, starting about the middle of the first quarter.

WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED? Are some of the defensive linemen playing hurt and they're not telling us?

Well, Owasu-Hemeng was reported by Vito as not suiting up, for whatever reason; I didn't realize until after the game that K.C. Obi had taken over starting for Hemeng after game 5. We all know about Tobe, but I think it was also Vito who pointed out that Phillips was playing for an injured Kylie Hill. Lots of. I though Kelvin Jackson made some impact for the first time after his injury. I'm not sure your yelling overcomes injury problems, but that's up to you to decide, of course.

Edited by eulessismore

Well, Owasu-Hemeng was reported by Vito as not suiting up, for whatever reason; I didn't realize until after the game that K.C. Obi had taken over starting for Hemeng after game 5. We all know about Tobe, but I think it was also Vito who pointed out that Phillips was playing for an injured Kylie Hill. Lots of. I though Kelvin Jackson made some impact for the first time after his injury. I'm not sure your yelling overcomes injury problems, but that's up to you to decide, of course.

My yelling has to do with frustration (years of it) and it keeps me from holding all that frustration in and having a heart attack. Plus, that's a very interesting (and fairly typical for this board) leap of mis-logic on your part. How did I say that my yelling would overcome injury problems? Yelling in frustration because of inept(GrayEagles's word) play on the part of the defense (in particular the DL) is my way of letting the coaches know that they need to get themselves and the players in gear.

As I recall I asked WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED TO THAT PROMISING DL ROATION THAT I SAW AT THE BEGINNING OF THE YEAR? The core of the defense that is supposed to be putting pressure on the QB is the interior of the DL. Lightweight DE's like Obi and Owasu-Heming are most effective (with their speed) when the OL is busy doubling up on the DL. I hate to use Booger as an example (because he was an exceptional player), but he used to get double and triple teaming which took a lot of pressure off the other D-linemen.

Again, WHAT THE HELL HAS HAPPENED TO OUR DL?

Edited by SilverEagle