I Just Realized

emmitt01

Yes, because in the big picture of the NFL, those high school championships are so important. I mean, everybody knows that the NFL scouts and general managers pretty much ignore what a player does in college and drills down to what guys did in high school. If only Tony had some high school championships under his belt, he'd be a better quarterback. He might even be able to beat mid-majors like Ohio and Middle Tennessee like Riley...oops...wait a minute.

Looks like I've got the "proven winner's" games mixed up. Someone list Riley's college wins for us here, then list Tony's college and pro wins. Make sure you bring an extra sheet of paper. If you spell out B-A-L-L S-T-A-T-E really big, maybe you can fit Riley's college wins onto two sheets of paper.

Maybe the problem is that Tony's dad doesn't coach the Cowboys. I mean, you look at our alma mater UNT and Colorado and you can easily see that the father-son/head coach-quarterback package is unstoppable. Jerry Jones is crazy to keep Wade around when Tony Romo's dad is available.

Now, I don't know if Romo and his dad wrote plays out on napkins at the dinner table or at restaurants or if they drew them up on the church bulletins, but whatever. It must work because we're off to a flying start with Riley at 1-3 and Dallas is just 2-2 with both loses to undefeated teams with Tony. I mean, the comparison between the two is obvious.

Where in the world do you get the idea that I'm saying Riley's high school wins garner cred in the NFL? In fact, none of your post even addresses the theme of this thread, but instead serves as your further rant against all things Dodge. What happened to your self imposed exile from this board? Didn't the Tulsa fans take to you?

My point is that the two aren't comparable. Riley, in really his first year of collegiate football and first year as a college starting QB, at least has some championships under his belt from another level. Does Romo? Didn't think so.

What is your point of coming on here? You twist every thread around to slam Dodge, some of his coaches and his son even when it has nothing to do with the original intent of the thread. You provide nothing to the arguement than to slam my alma mater's program over and over. You realize you are talking about a 19 year old young man that chose to come to NT to help turn our program around instead of going to UT. He is probably our highest rated recruit ever and has only started three games at QB and all you can do is be a complete and utter ass. Who would you suggest start at QB this year? If you can't see the improvement in this team over the last two years and realize things are finally headed in the right direction, then you are blind.

To those who say the two aren't comparable, or that this thread is ridiculous, answer me this:

Is romo an ultra athltic QB? Is Riley?

Does romo bring something to the table that no other QB on the roster does? Does Riley?

Does romo turn the ball over in the red zone or at key points in the game? Does Riley?

Do cowboy fans fall over themselves to excuse romo's play? Do NT fans not do this for Riley? Aren't you doing it now?

You can talk all you want about redshirt freshmen, pedigree, their relatve youth in the college game, Future potential, whatever else you choose to throw out...but the answer to each and every question above TODAY, at this point in time, is "yes". That was my only argument and not even debatable.

To those who say the two aren't comparable, or that this thread is ridiculous, answer me this:

Is romo an ultra athltic QB? Is Riley?

No, Romo is able to keep plays alive I wouldn't worry about him going the distance. Riley is an athlete.

Does romo bring something to the table that no other QB on the roster does? Does Riley?

I like how you throw in the roster part. Yes they both do otherwise they wouldn't be starting!!

Does romo turn the ball over in the red zone or at key points in the game? Does Riley?

Yes in the 4 games we have played Riley has some freshman mistakes. So did Tune...why arent you starting a thread ripping him?

Do cowboy fans fall over themselves to excuse romo's play? Do NT fans not do this for Riley? Aren't you doing it now?

I think most people are willing to give someone more than 4 games to throw them under the bus like you. It's not making excuses.

You can talk all you want about redshirt freshmen, pedigree, their relatve youth in the college game, Future potential, whatever else you choose to throw out...but the answer to each and every question above TODAY, at this point in time, is "yes". That was my only argument and not even debatable.

High school championships aren't important. I don't know why we even bother to play them. But as long as we do maybe we should acknowledge that Riley Dodge has quarterbacked one in a state where football is king. Tony Romo did get to the semi-finals in Wisconsin. Not bad, but at the same stage of development...advantage Dodge.

Three games into Riley Dodge's college career he has one win. Three games into Tony Romo's college career he had ZERO. You don't even need paper for that. In Romo's fourth game his Eastern Illinois Panthers did beat Tennessee-Martin. He went on to win another game the last game of the season. A two win season for Tony over the likes of Tennessee-Martin and Eastern Kentucky his freshman year.

The nepotism suggestion is a new low for you TFLF. How many think that Riley is the starting QB simply because his dad is the head coach? The insuation is crap and you know it. The state championship, offensive player of the year, Parade All-American must all be bs because it happened in high school. Riley is starting because he is the best that we have. If the mistakes don't diminish then come in and make a legitimate gripe but let's see what Riley does in his first season; not just three games.

I have a hard time believing Riley's starting just because of his father. Otherwise, why would TD have cared whether Vizza transferred when he did; Riley was already available. Since we're talking high school, college (FBS AND FCS), AND professional, why didn't Hal Wasson start Kyle Padron in the game where Riley got hurt? Nowadays, some SMU fans are wishing for Padron to take over for Bo Levi Mitchell, but I've noticed June Jones isn't taking the bait.

Many here will hate to hear this, but, since I've already mentioned these players, maybe the best comparison would be Riley Dodge and BLM. I'm kinda disappointed in TFLF for passing up the opportunity to a). bash Todd Dodge more so than Riley, and b.) praise June Jones, while ignoring the offensive struggles of THAT team.

Is there someone that just can't be denied in our American national character, forgiving management of anything, while blaming those carrying out their policies endlessly. Hey, correct me if I'm wrong, but has anyone in this thread laid ANY responsibility at the feet of Wade Phillips compared to Tony Romo? Oh, I guess it was Mr. Jocks and Socks who put all the personnel together, and was recently quoted (in so many words) as saying, "I can't be fired for personnel decisions".

This is just my opinion, but the real difference between the football programs at UNT and Cowboys Stadium is that the jury is still out on whether UNT can become a good football team under the present coaching staff; the Cowboys can never really improve while Jerry Jones is their general manager. If, some year soon, a Cowboys team went to, and even won the Super Bowl again, the measure of success (and cotinued employment) for the Head Coach would be how much credit he could direct towards Jones.

H-Towngreen,

Yes in the 4 games we have played Riley has some freshman mistakes. So did Tune...why arent you starting a thread ripping him?

htown, you and keith7 seem to have the most vocal dischord for Tune. why don't you both get it started? make your fellow mean green alums/fans proud!!

Just trying to point out that there are others who can shoulder some of the blame for our record. Even at the QB position.

Where in the world do you get the idea that I'm saying Riley's high school wins garner cred in the NFL? In fact, none of your post even addresses the theme of this thread, but instead serves as your further rant against all things Dodge. What happened to your self imposed exile from this board? Didn't the Tulsa fans take to you?

My point is that the two aren't comparable. Riley, in really his first year of collegiate football and first year as a college starting QB, at least has some championships under his belt from another level. Does Romo? Didn't think so.

What is your point of coming on here? You twist every thread around to slam Dodge, some of his coaches and his son even when it has nothing to do with the original intent of the thread. You provide nothing to the arguement than to slam my alma mater's program over and over. You realize you are talking about a 19 year old young man that chose to come to NT to help turn our program around instead of going to UT. He is probably our highest rated recruit ever and has only started three games at QB and all you can do is be a complete and utter ass. Who would you suggest start at QB this year? If you can't see the improvement in this team over the last two years and realize things are finally headed in the right direction, then you are blind.

Great counter-rant. I would throw in the high probability that TFLF hasn't even watched a complete game that Riley has played in....or maybe he has and that explains why we didn't hear from him when Riley was playing well. I, honestly, don't see how you can have watched this NT team this season and not come away with the conclusion that Riley Dodge is a game changer. Do questions still exist on his durability and deep ball? Yes....but when he is on the field, it is obvious the impact that he has on the team around him.

H-Towngreen,

htown, you and keith7 seem to have the most vocal dischord for Tune. why don't you both get it started? make your fellow mean green alums/fans proud!!

Tune's INT-TD tied the game or made it close, it did not cost the team the victory, in fact Tune placed 2 balls into the hands of butter fingers for TD's that would have won the game twice. Riley threw and INT to set MUTS up inside the 10 and then fumbled in the red zone as UNT was charging back into the game, which shifted the momentum. Did Riley lose the game on his own, no but his mistakes were costly at clutch times. Will not even go into the Penalty that sealed the deal by one of our Defensive Leaders

It was a big momentum changer. I know you are speaking tongue-in-cheek, but it was a big deal.

And for the record, I didn't point that out for any reason other than correcting incorrect info.

Speaking as an accomplished football star, were it not for that interception we'd be 3-1.