Oh, What A Shame! Chicago Gets Eliminated!

Well, guess some of the cities eliminated by the USOC this last go round can try for 2020 now. I think it was Houston, Los Angeles, and San Francisco?

Also, I wonder if Dallas will ever try to big again. I know there were rumblings of a 2012 bid around ten years ago.

Edited by CMJ

Are there some people so against all things Obama that they cheer when his home town loses out on the Olympics?

Just don't let that transgendered freak girl run. It will blow some minds.

Are there some people so against all things Obama that they cheer when his home town loses out on the Olympics?

Nope just cheering that Tax Payer Dollars in Chicago won't be wasted and their won't be any million/billion dollar contracts for Obama and Daley to funnel to their friends and allies.

Hope Rio gets it and we have get 30 days of string bikinis.

I've heard rumblings that this is actually good for Chicago, given the current debt of the city; is this true?

Do the billions spent on preparation and jobs outweigh the impact the international draw could do for the economy?

It probably depends on a city by city basis. One of the major reasons an LA bid would be so good is the city could basically host the Olympics without having to build much at all. We're already in the process of adding more rail lines and such, & we have hotels out the nose, so the infrastructure of hosting hundreds of thousands of visitors isn't an issue. Probably wouldn't be for any US city.

However, the city also has all sorts of venues that we could spruce up. The Coliseum is about to be slightly renovated by USC anyways in the coming years. There's the Rose Bowl for soccer. All sorts of venues for Basketball(Staples Center, The Forum in Inglewood, even the Honda Center in Anaheim) and other events like Boxing, Handball, or Gymnastics. There's no basbell in the Olympics anymore if i recall, but I'm sure Dodger Stadium and the Angels Stadium could also be used. Don't forget Pauley Pavillion and the Galen Center either. The 1984 Olympic Aquatic Center could be refurbished for swimming(USC still uses it).

Not to mention, the last time LA hosted it, the city banked over 200M. Lately cities have tended to lose money(tho you could argue it's made up in infrastructure and future tourism) - but I doubt we'd worry about that here.

Edited by CMJ

Interesting statistics...

Murder Rate in NY plunges compared to other major cities, including Rio...

Capital crimes

Murder rates in cities in the United States and other countries, per 100,000 people, 2006

Detroit: 47.3

Rio de Janeiro*: 45

Baltimore: 43.3

New Orleans: 37.6

Washington DC: 29.1

Bogota*: 18

Moscow*: 11.9

New York: 6.1

London**: 2.1

Tokyo*: 1.4

* Data for most recent available year

** Data for 2007 so far

Chicago: 16... Yeah, Wikipedia sucks but it is sourced from the FBI so who knows...

Will hosting an Olympics there lead to the deaths of tourists, or the cleaning up of a crime ridden city?

Interesting statistics...

Murder Rate in NY plunges compared to other major cities, including Rio...

Chicago: 16... Yeah, Wikipedia sucks but it is sourced from the FBI so who knows...

Will hosting an Olympics there lead to the deaths of tourists, or the cleaning up of a crime ridden city?

Impoverished countries usually put on a pretty good show. I know I'll go.

Some of you need to tap the freakin brakes there. I dont think anyone is saying its good that America lost or other BS like that. Its funny to alot of people because Obama couldnt get the bid for Chicago by gracing the IOC with his presence. Many thought that by him simply saying, "Give the olympics to Chicago." It would be done. Hell, even CNN was doing an extended amount of coverage on this.

Some of you need to tap the freakin brakes there. I dont think anyone is saying its good that America lost or other BS like that. Its funny to alot of people because Obama couldnt get the bid for Chicago by gracing the IOC with his presence. Many thought that by him simply saying, "Give the olympics to Chicago." It would be done. Hell, even CNN was doing an extended amount of coverage on this.

I know he's the first prez to go in person, but that's it. I didn't really pay much attention to this anyway.

I know he's the first prez to go in person, but that's it. I didn't really pay much attention to this anyway.

Personally, I dont give a rats arse if he goes or not, I just think its funny how many believed his presence would lock it up for the US. lol. I think its just as funny how CNN seemed to be roasting Obama.

Personally, I dont give a rats arse if he goes or not, I just think its funny how many believed his presence would lock it up for the US. lol. I think its just as funny how CNN seemed to be roasting Obama.

The funny, or actually the sad part of it all is the lesson likely lost on those private Chicago donors who invested over $100 Million and 4 years in the project that if you expect to try and sell your city and country to the IOC as a great place to host the Olympics it may not be such a great idea to send the guy who has spent a majority of his time trashing the U.S. overseas to promote your cause?

Rick

The funny, or actually the sad part of it all is the lesson likely lost on those private Chicago donors who invested over $100 Million and 4 years in the project that if you expect to try and sell your city and country to the IOC as a great place to host the Olympics it may not be such a great idea to send the guy who has spent a majority of his time trashing the U.S. overseas to promote your cause?

Rick

He been trashing us? Screw that Guy! Suck it Chicago!

He been trashing us?

"America has acted unilaterally, without regard for the interests of others."

"America has too often been selective in its promotion of democracy."

"America is longer what it could be, what it once was."

"There have been times where America's shown arrogance and been dismissive, even derisive towards Europe."

Just a few quotes from only the past 2 weeks... not to mention what his preacher said on Sundays while Obama smiled, nodded, and said "Amen".

In summary - why WOULD the IOC choose Chicago when the President has been traveling the world talking about how America sucks?