So, Who Leads The New R's In 2012?

With the Republican party in a rebuild/regroup/rebrand phase, and sending out things like "listening tours", etc., it's a bit fuzzy to anyone what they'll emerge as... so, I'll ask those of you who know far more than I do -- who leads the party in a move back to relevance? Who is the charismatic leader, the rallying point in 2012 to try and reset a conservative movement? I think it's easy to forget that despite the boatload of negativity thrown GWB's way towards the latter half of his presidency, the Democrats were floundering quite a bit themselves until they united behind their annointed leader... so who can challenge that? Regardless of what Pres. Obama does the next three 1/2 years or so, his popular appeal and ability to mobilize many segments of the population present an uphill battle that a cold fish candidate will struggle with - so who is it? Charlie Crist? Bobby Jindal? Sarah... gulp... Palin? Jeb Bush? Tim Pawlenty? Ja'Quay Wilburn? Other?

With the Republican party in a rebuild/regroup/rebrand phase, and sending out things like "listening tours", etc., it's a bit fuzzy to anyone what they'll emerge as... so, I'll ask those of you who know far more than I do -- who leads the party in a move back to relevance? Who is the charismatic leader, the rallying point in 2012 to try and reset a conservative movement? I think it's easy to forget that despite the boatload of negativity thrown GWB's way towards the latter half of his presidency, the Democrats were floundering quite a bit themselves until they united behind their annointed leader... so who can challenge that? Regardless of what Pres. Obama does the next three 1/2 years or so, his popular appeal and ability to mobilize many segments of the population present an uphill battle that a cold fish candidate will struggle with - so who is it? Charlie Crist? Bobby Jindal? Sarah... gulp... Palin? Jeb Bush? Tim Pawlenty? Ja'Quay Wilburn? Other?

TastyGreek and that gay guy he's friends with.

all i know is i want Mike Huckabee to run again...he got my vote in 2008 and he would get it again in 2012!

I voted for Huckabee, and well might again . . . but I don't see the Republicans rallying around him. He got slapped with the "fiscally liberal" label by Rush Limbaugh and Ann Coulter, and those two have a lot of sway among Republicans.

I voted for Huckabee, and well might again . . . but I don't see the Republicans rallying around him. He got slapped with the "fiscally liberal" label by Rush Limbaugh and Ann Coulter, and those two have a lot of sway among Republicans.

Their comments didn't have as big an impact as the open Republican primaries in many states that helped put McCain over the top. I mean, come on... JOHN McCAIN??? He has never been a favorite in the Republican party. The GOP needs to close their primaries to prevent Democrats from nominating a weak candidate.

Who will be the front runner in 2012? Who knows, but if they run to the middle they are going to find themselves on the worst side of election night.

Tim Pawlenty and Bobby Jindal would be my favorites.

Stay far away from Huckabee, he has way to many skeletons in his closet. After seeing how McCain and Romney like to cater to the left I do not want them at all. Another sleeper would be Michael Steele.

As for Coulter and Limbaugh who cares what they think, they are just entertainers.

Tim Pawlenty and Bobby Jindal would be my favorites.

Stay far away from Huckabee, he has way to many skeletons in his closet. After seeing how McCain and Romney like to cater to the left I do not want them at all. Another sleeper would be Michael Steele.

As for Coulter and Limbaugh who cares what they think, they are just entertainers.

i dont buy this...i dont think he has skeletons in his closet. as him being labeled "fiscally liberal" yes he did spend alot when he was governer of arkansas ( i lived their for a couple of years while he was) but i dont think he is fiscally liberal and i think he is the closest to the people. i think if properly supported he could surprize many people....plus i wanna see huck and chuck back together...lol :P

Their comments didn't have as big an impact as the open Republican primaries in many states that helped put McCain over the top. I mean, come on... JOHN McCAIN??? He has never been a favorite in the Republican party. The GOP needs to close their primaries to prevent Democrats from nominating a weak candidate.

You really think when the Democrats had arguably their most exciting race in at least a generation, they were sabatoging another party? That's ridiculous. Yeah, some independents and more moderate Dems switched over and voted in a few of the open primaries, but McCain has always had that kind of support. The interesting race was on the left & most Dems were waaaaaaaay more concerned with their party than whoever the GOP threw out there.

Way too early to tell. Even the Republican Party has no clue at this point, and "Washington Insiders" are trying to guess. I would think that a leader will emerge in the next couple of years to help lead the party. We'll see who that might be. Could be Jindal, but it is way too early to tell.

Even the Republican Party has no clue

This is the problem with the Republican Party and why they lost the presidential election.

1. Kram1

2. FFR

* in no particular order

After seeing how McCain and Romney like to cater to the left I do not want them at all.

Romney catered to the left? OK. He is a viable candidate, though. And by viable, I mean he has an assload of cash!

I think Palin will make a run, but I'm really not sure she has enough support.

I'm surprised Steele became head of the RNC, and more surprised he's not been thrown out. If he runs he will not get the nod.

I know he's kind of a throw back, but I look for Newt Gingrich to emerge as a front runner.

Other than that, Jindle seems to be the new face of the right wing.

All that being said let me throw this name out there. Rick Perry. If he can win reelection (and that seems to be a long shot against Kay Bailey), he will definitely have bigger aspirations. Remember when early on in the race he endorsed Giuliani? I believe he saw that as a road to the Vice Presidency. I see him more and more in national news.

Wow, did I just mention 7 conservatives and not verbally beat them up?

Palin, no.

Steele, no.

Jindal, no.

Romney, no.

The Republicans are on the ropes and nobody wants to step forward as a front runner in 2012 unless Obama's poll numbers are low. Nobody with any real aspirations will want to be the sacrificial lamb.

As for the message of the Party, it does not need to change. Most Americans agree with the traditional principles of the GOP - they want better schools, lower taxes, minimal government interference with their lives, and a strong military to protect our unique nation. For the first time ever, poll number show a pro-life majority. What they don't like is the fire breathing religious right pompously preaching down to America, and the super-wealthy corporate fat cats running their companies into the ground then asking taxpayers to pick up the tab.

The problem with the Republican Party is not the message, it's the delivery.

Edited by UNTflyer

Romney catered to the left? OK. He is a viable candidate, though. And by viable, I mean he has an assload of cash!

I think Palin will make a run, but I'm really not sure she has enough support.

I'm surprised Steele became head of the RNC, and more surprised he's not been thrown out. If he runs he will not get the nod.

I know he's kind of a throw back, but I look for Newt Gingrich to emerge as a front runner.

Other than that, Jindle seems to be the new face of the right wing.

All that being said let me throw this name out there. Rick Perry. If he can win reelection (and that seems to be a long shot against Kay Bailey), he will definitely have bigger aspirations. Remember when early on in the race he endorsed Giuliani? I believe he saw that as a road to the Vice Presidency. I see him more and more in national news.

Wow, did I just mention 7 conservatives and not verbally beat them up?

I like Newt but he would just con't with the stereotype that Republicans are a bunch of fat old men, which is not what the party needs. Need a breath of fresh air and one of the younger candidates would be best. Please no Jeb Bush!!!!

Rick Perry would be nice only to see his Political Career go up in smoke and get him out of Governors Mansion.

Palin, no.

Steele, no.

Jindal, no.

Romney, no.

The Republicans are on the ropes and nobody wants to step forward as a front runner in 2012 unless Obama's poll numbers are low. Nobody with any real aspirations will want to be the sacrificial lamb.

As for the message of the Party, it does not need to change. Most Americans agree with the traditional principles of the GOP - they want better schools, lower taxes, minimal government interference with their lives, and a strong military to protect our unique nation. For the first time ever, poll number show a pro-life majority. What they don't like is the fire breathing religious right pompously preaching down to America, and the super-wealthy corporate fat cats running their companies into the ground then asking taxpayers to pick up the tab.

The problem with the Republican Party is the message and the delivery.

Fixed it for you!

Rick Perry would be nice only to see his Political Career go up in smoke and get him out of Governors Mansion.

I'm no fan of Perry either, but we are at opposite ends of the political spectrum. I hear a lot of republicans dislike Perry and I don't understand why. Without this thread getting derailed as all Perry-bashing, can you give me a reason why he is disliked so much?