Acquired: FA-05

School: Boston College

Major: Computer Science/Speech Communications

Born: Oct 23, 1962 Manchester MD

Drew Brees

Brees in Kuwait, 2007

New Orleans Saints — No. 9

Quarterback

Date of birth: January 15, 1979 (age 30)

Place of birth: Austin, Texas

Height: 6 ft 0 in Weight: 209 lb

These QB's didn't have a problem playing against big time opponents. I bet our starting QB will handle it just fine too!!!

Edited by Newbie

2 Doug Flutie QB

Height: 5-10 Weight: 180

Year: 12 Yrs/Pat: 4

Acquired: FA-05

School: Boston College

Major: Computer Science/Speech Communications

Born: Oct 23, 1962 Manchester MD

Drew Brees

Brees in Kuwait, 2007

New Orleans Saints — No. 9

Quarterback

Date of birth: January 15, 1979 (age 30)

Place of birth: Austin, Texas

Height: 6 ft 0 in Weight: 209 lb

These QB's didn't have a problem playing against big time opponents. I bet our starting QB will handle it just fine too!!!

Flutie played in an era when OL and DL were in the 260-280 range. Brees played at Purdue under Joe Tiller...Todd Dodge is no Joe Tiller.

Pat White

College West Virginia University

Conference Big East Conference

Sport Football

Position Quarterback

Jersey # 5

Height 6 ft 0 in

Weight 190 lb

Born February 25, 1986 (1986-02-25) (age 23)

List can continue if needed. Point is, athletic talent doesn't have a size limit. Being able to run the offense doesn't have a size requirement.

Flutie played in an era when OL and DL were in the 260-280 range. Brees played at Purdue under Joe Tiller...Todd Dodge is no Joe Tiller.

Flutie's NFL Career

His last season as a starter was 2001 and he didn't retire until 2005. I would say the players were bigger than the 260-280 you claim. Even so, DeMarcus Ware is listed as 6'4" and 257 lbs., James Harrison of the Steelers as 6'0" and 242 lbs and LaMarr Woodley of the Steelers as 6'2" and 265 lbs., so I'm not real sure what you point is unless you were talking about OL being that size during the "Flutie era."

Flutie's NFL Career

His last season as a starter was 2001 and he didn't retire until 2005. I would say the players were bigger than the 260-280 you claim. Even so, DeMarcus Ware is listed as 6'4" and 257 lbs., James Harrison of the Steelers as 6'0" and 242 lbs and LaMarr Woodley of the Steelers as 6'2" and 265 lbs., so I'm not real sure what you point is unless you were talking about OL being that size during the "Flutie era."

We're talking college, you're talking pro. Either way, the linemen were much smaller when Flutie played college ball 25+ years ago to today. Flutie never started an NFL game until 1998 anyway, after a nine-year career in Canada. Thirteen years passed between his last college game and his first NFL start, so it isn't like he hit the NFL and lit up the scene.

Even so, you can go back and look at the size of even the NFL defensive linemen of 1986 and see that very few weighed over 280. Few teams even had 300 pounders: http://www.fantasyfootballchallenge.com/61...ve-linemen.html . The college players were even smaller.

And even if size didn't make a difference, you've still got the fact that Riley Dodge won't get near the level of coaching that either Flutie or Brees got in college - either from the head coach or from the other offensive assistants, with the possible exception of Shelton Gandy.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

The average weight of the 2005 Trinity offensive lineman was more than the Washington Redskin "Hogs" of the late 1980s.

It's called sports science. And it has gotten a lot better. I think comparing teams from 10+ years ago becomes moot because of this. Additionally, any argument about the "greatest of all time" is tiring, and ridiculous. I digress...

Size is a factor on any level, but is not the end-all-be-all in college like it can be in the NFL.

Edited by greenminer

The average weight of the 2005 Trinity offensive lineman was more than the Washington Redskin "Hogs" of the late 1980s.

It's called sports science. And it has gotten a lot better. I think comparing teams from 10+ years ago becomes moot because of this. Additionally, any argument about the "greatest of all time" is tiring, and ridiculous. I digress...

Size is a factor on any level, but is not the end-all-be-all in college like it can be in the NFL.

I'm thinking you're talking the Euless Trinity Trojans. Yes, they were big; honestly though, I've begun to wonder if Coach Lineweaver wasn't just bringing out the best in these guys. Most of them in 2005 were of Tongan (South Pacific Islander) descent. Many of the Tongans are just naturally big; we did have a particularly good O-line for Trinity that year.

Come on folks...enough alreday...get a bit of perspective here...Rily will be fine at QB...if not Tune can definitely handle the job for us. This team, 2009 edition, is much improved over the last two years from a coaching and player standpoint. No, in case you haven't figured it out yet, UNT will not win the National Championship in 2009. There, I said it first...happy? But, even Vito (who some say is very UNT "challenged" in his reporting) is saying that the team looks improved. I recommend you get to the next open practice and see for yourself. It is the spring season and "hope does spring eternal", but there is definitely an attitude with the team that says to me they are going to be much improved in 2009. Look out OHIO U....the Meanm Green is coming for you!!!!

GO MEAN GREEN!

Come on folks...enough alreday...get a bit of perspective here...Rily will be fine at QB...if not Tune can definitely handle the job for us. This team, 2009 edition, is much improved over the last two years from a coaching and player standpoint. No, in case you haven't figured it out yet, UNT will not win the National Championship in 2009. There, I said it first...happy? But, even Vito (who some say is very UNT "challenged" in his reporting) is saying that the team looks improved. I recommend you get to the next open practice and see for yourself. It is the spring season and "hope does spring eternal", but there is definitely an attitude with the team that says to me they are going to be much improved in 2009. Look out OHIO U....the Meanm Green is coming for you!!!!

GO MEAN GREEN!

Based on what empirical evidence?

Not saying you're wrong, but history seems to stand against you not for you.

Observational evidence, sir, observational evidence including what I consider to be some quality improvements in the coaching staff. I doubt that we will see only cover1 and cover2 in the secondary this year...DB were playing much closer to the line at the open practice I saw and they were actually covering! DL is bigger...OL is bigger and more experienced. Wide-Outs look very good for 2009 with plenty of choices...Running back position will be fine and pretty deep. Riley knows what he is doing, and is doing it well and Tune is getting sharper every practice as he recovers from his medical challenge...seems to have recovered most of the lost weight.

Observational, my dear Watson, observational. Trying to see the galss as half-full, not half-empty as so very many of my fellow GMG.Com posters seems to want to view the world these days.

We're talking college, you're talking pro. Either way, the linemen were much smaller when Flutie played college ball 25+ years ago to today. Flutie never started an NFL game until 1998 anyway, after a nine-year career in Canada. Thirteen years passed between his last college game and his first NFL start, so it isn't like he hit the NFL and lit up the scene.

Even so, you can go back and look at the size of even the NFL defensive linemen of 1986 and see that very few weighed over 280. Few teams even had 300 pounders: http://www.fantasyfootballchallenge.com/61...ve-linemen.html . The college players were even smaller.

And even if size didn't make a difference, you've still got the fact that Riley Dodge won't get near the level of coaching that either Flutie or Brees got in college - either from the head coach or from the other offensive assistants, with the possible exception of Shelton Gandy.

:o:o:angry:

Alright....you've crossed a line. The Doug Flutie line. Damnit, man. Why are you talking trash about Doug-freakin-Flutie?!?!?

We've arrived at the point where just the mere comparison of someone to any of the Dodge's draws a sarcastic, negative response from you.

Stop it.

I was on the observation deck and our look bigger, stronger and faster than last season. WR's finally have some speed. RB is loaded. Riley will start without a doubt based on the reps. DL still thin. OL looks to be much improved over the last several seasons.

I like our DE coach. He is a definite upgrade.

I was on the observation deck and our look bigger, stronger and faster than last season. WR's finally have some speed. RB is loaded. Riley will start without a doubt based on the reps. DL still thin. OL looks to be much improved over the last several seasons.

I like our DE coach. He is a definite upgrade.

We still don't have in place our two DT and DE we signed...Atkinsen will likely be the starter at NT and John Weber at DE plus the HS DT we signed. They should make a significant improvement in our DL/DE play.

Observational evidence, sir, observational evidence including what I consider to be some quality improvements in the coaching staff. I doubt that we will see only cover1 and cover2 in the secondary this year...DB were playing much closer to the line at the open practice I saw and they were actually covering! DL is bigger...OL is bigger and more experienced. Wide-Outs look very good for 2009 with plenty of choices...Running back position will be fine and pretty deep. Riley knows what he is doing, and is doing it well and Tune is getting sharper every practice as he recovers from his medical challenge...seems to have recovered most of the lost weight.

Observational, my dear Watson, observational. Trying to see the galss as half-full, not half-empty as so very many of my fellow GMG.Com posters seems to want to view the world these days.

No offense, KRAM, but you kinda always see the glass as overflowing, running down the street, and clogging up the storm drain. I hope they are greatly improved, but we will only know after the season opener.

Edited by UNT90

The size of the linemen doesn't make a difference. Riley played against young men roughly the same size as thos Flutie played against at BC, and the above quote shows your true issue.

This comment of your's makes your point moot anyway:

Flutie never started an NFL game until 1998 anyway, after a nine-year career in Canada. Thirteen years passed between his last college game and his first NFL start, so it isn't like he hit the NFL and lit up the scene.

So Flutie succeeded when the players were bigger and faster than when he came out of college?

None taken....glad to know you see me as the "happy camper". Loking at the bright side of things never hurts, and just as some folks want to always see something "doom and gloom", I like to find the positives. Sure, a bit too Mr. "Good Things are Happening" at times, I'll give you that, but, heck, someone has to counter all the nay sayers and doom and gloomers on this board. Too many people want to find only the negatives...I'll stay with the positives, and recognize my bias in that regard, thank you very much!

Refreshing to see someone admitting a bias....one way or the other.

I have been asking one guy to tell me what he has against Coach. Anyone as focused on the negative as this guy is has to have SOMETHING personal (son kicked off the team, etc) that steers them that way, IMHO.

I am biased also...towards a focus on the forward. But then again, my kid never competed and came in 2nd, 3rd or 9th place under the tutelage of this coach. Thus it is incumbent on me not to judge those that are vitriolic against my Coach, because I cannot pretend to understand the personal pain that has been inflicted that causes such a personal bias against, one that demands a retort to every bit of positive news that spews from the emotion-based (i.e. actual fact accounts for about 20%, non-scientific validated number) source of news, the gmg.com community.

GMG

Scott Campbell

20% warned from the Town of Flower Mound

Kellen Moore, Boise St, 6'0", 187 lbs. 11th highest QB rating last season

Boo Jackson, Ohio U, 6'1", 197 lbs, 33rd

Joe Craddock, MTSU, 5'11", 197 lbs, 39th

Russell Wilson, NC State, 5'11", 191 lbs, 42nd

Just to name a few....

Add Todd Reesing of Kansas listed as 5'10" and 200 lbs. If those are correct then I'm 6'4" and 250 lbs.

Also noted this:

KU Athletics Football Homepage

Amazing how they post changes in practice schedule, open/close, have a 2009 Prospectus, 2009 schedule, etc...