Belt Likely To Lose Uno

stebo

http://www.wwltv.com/topstories/stories/ww...u.1b7b45e4.html

Budget cuts a "doomsday" situation for colleges

06:34 PM CST on Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Paul Murphy / Eyewitness News

NEW ORLEANS - There's a dark cloud hanging over higher education in Louisiana.

Video: Watch the Story The LSU system released the results of a budget reduction exercise, calling for a 30-percent cut on campuses across the state.

The Jindal Administration ordered the exercise as a worst case scenario if the predicted $2 billion hole in next year's state budget holds true.

"This is the worst budgetary situation that I have seen in my 32 years here at the University of New Orleans," said UNO Chancellor Tim Ryan. "If this isn't doomsday. I don't know what doomsday is."

The University of New Orleans would take an $18.2 million hit. That would force the lay off of 71 faculty and 142 support staffers -- the equivalent of eliminating 10 academic programs.

In the process, UNO would suspend its sports programs.

You can read the rest of the story by clicking on the link.

Do they play football? Then I don't care. Take this one to the basketball board. Bye UNO. I won't miss the privateers.

no problem, like everyone else on the board, I like a chance to gripe and berate.

Do they play football? Then I don't care. Take this one to the basketball board. Bye UNO. I won't miss the privateers.

UNO is an underfunded, relatively new urban school that represents hope to thousands of kids but has suffered enormously since Katrina. It's not a sports club. Perhaps folks could refrain from celebrating another school's near-demise.

I know, I know.

UNO is an underfunded, relatively new urban school that represents hope to thousands of kids but has suffered enormously since Katrina. It's not a sports club. Perhaps folks could refrain from celebrating another school's near-demise.

I know, I know.

UNO was established in 1958 not all that new, used to be LSUNO. It would be a blow to lose it's athletics teams, as it would at La Tech, ULM and ULL. Those taking this lightly, may want to consider that most schools athletics are subtantial money losers and even though Texas universities sports are not directly funded by the state, if this economic downturn continued things like student fee funded stadiums may be blocked.

Denver is on its way out anyway. So was UNO. Neither play the require number of sports in the SBC according to the new conference rules. So in a few years they were going to be going anyway.

The question now is do you keep UALR? They would be the only non-football team left in the conference.

If we go to 10 teams, we could go to a round-robin 18-game basketball schedule with no divisions (or still keep divisions if it helps the egos of the 5th place team in the west or east not being called the 10th place team in the SBC.)

That, to me, would be awesome.

A ten team league with 9 home and home would be ideal. Not sure that would ever happen though. Can't see throwing UALR out just to get to 10.

I could. Long term, we cannot continue to have uneven divisions. It is such a hassle. It would not make sense to have ONE non-football school.

I could. Long term, we cannot continue to have uneven divisions. It is such a hassle. It would not make sense to have ONE non-football school.

This is the SunBelt, sense has nothing do with this league.

What exactly is the problem with having a non-football school in the conference? Though many have said that is a problem, no one that I am aware of has explained why it is a problem.

Uneven schedules are a hassle for those who make schedules. Not for the players or coaches or fans.