Atkinson Update

Brett Vito

Why do the sports gods hate me? Every team I like never seems to catch any breaks in this world...just as everything seemed to be lining up for NT this happens! I am about to give up on all sports. I guess I will have to learn to get into music in order to stay in touch with the university...I can't handle continually get my balls kicked into my stomach

Why do the sports gods hate me? Every team I like never seems to catch any breaks in this world...just as everything seemed to be lining up for NT this happens! I am about to give up on all sports. I guess I will have to learn to get into music in order to stay in touch with the university...I can't handle continually get my balls kicked into my stomach

I've only been following the Mean Green since 1996 and I have had my balls punted, crushed, pulverized, sauteed, shish kabobed, run over by a top fuel dragster, used as a speedbag by Mike Tyson, caught in a bear trap, shelacked by Homer Formby, electrocuted by a manta ray, shot out of a slingshot against a wall of nails by Eve Plumb, stomped on by Seve Ballesteros after shooting an 86, placed in a vice, punted again, pounded on an anvil, burned, and scissor kicked by Ruud Van Nistelroy. I can't imagine how some of the oldtimers feel.

There are only 4 things TD can use with Shaovd at this point:

1. You will be an immediate starter at NT.

2. Denton is 40 minutes from the Dallas Fort Worth Metroplex

3. Denton is not in West Virginia

4. West Virginia is in West Virginia

Why are we surprised in the end, this particular recruit had said he would was leaving his options open.

We're not surprised. The only ones surprised are those clinging to hope that something good will happen, even though there is not a shred of evidence of it.

Go look at what SMU has gotten. Baylor. TCU. Houston. Regionally, Tulsa - a school that considered dropped its program after 2002! Anyone. Hit it up. Then, look at us. ESPN does a thorough write up on recruits, team-by-team. We were cleaned out early in the process.

Recruiting isn't new. No one is reinventing the wheel out there. The biggest dogs are now chosing where to go. Each time they do, they slide off someone else's board. Coaches then tick down to the next guy on the list.

The truth about Atkinsin has always been that he held one offer before ours - to Sam Houston State. This isn't a top prospect. There's nothing on film or from reports on his academic standing that put him at the front of the line for BCS-school coaching staffs.

Now, we're entering a time period where they've got to fill numbers. WVU has a spot to fill. Arkansas and Colorado wanted to get a close up before offering; and, when he declined to visit them, no offer was extended. Schools are now having to dig deeper into their lists. Atkinsin is, apparently, on some of those as a contingent.

The big picture is two-fold:

(1) Dodge and his recruiting experience versus those who have been in the game for decades. Clearly, Dodge gets what is left behind with very, very few exceptions. He's doesn't have us out in front for any except those without offers or smaller offers - and, we've got lots of those type this year.

(2) Recruits understand winning and losing and what goes with all of it. These guys don't exist in a vacuum. They know guys from their area high schools, the region, etc. from camps, 7-on7s, etc. and see them coming home with their bowl stuff. They see each other on television. It doesn't take a rocket scientist for them to figure out that we're not anywhere near that.

On one service wire, Atkinsin listed the new stadium as a reason. He says he was told he'd be playing it. We all know that's unlikely as they now say 2011. Just as unlikely is that he'll ever taste a bowl game experience or get on TV much if he choses to cast his lot here for his final two years of eligibility.

At West Virginia, it's likely he'd be on TV every week somewhere. And, odds are great that he'll be in two bowl games. Exposure works to players' benefit as well. It's what gets them invites to Senior Bowls, the NFL scouting combine, etc. Ask our WR Fitzgerald whether more exposure could have given him some post-season invites to get in front of the NFL coaches and scouts.

It's all about a ticket to the highest level. We don't have it. West Virginia most certainly does.

Many of you will bad mouth Atkinsin as much as you did Vizza if he choses to better his lot, and that's pathetic. Rather than demand better from the program, you'd denigrate a kid for wanting to spend his college eligibility at a place that gives him more opportunities to taste the best of what college football has to offer.

Of course, you're hypocrites when you criticize them. Think about it. If someone walked into your office and offered you double your salary to do the exact same job, you'd take it. Why would you expect a kid, who has a limited amount of time to spend in college, to react any differently than you would if offered a chance to improve their lot in life?

For our sake, I hope Atkinsin stays. But, I won't be surprised or wish him any ill will if he chooses West Virginia.

But, whether you're still drinking Dodge's kool-aid or not, the world is still spinning as it always has in recruiting. And, simply put, Dodge hasn't made our place in the recruiting world any bigger or more attractive.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

We're not surprised. The only ones surprised are those clinging to hope that something good will happen, even though there is not a shred of evidence of it.

Go look at what SMU has gotten. Baylor. TCU. Houston. Regionally, Tulsa - a school that considered dropped its program after 2002! Anyone. Hit it up. Then, look at us. ESPN does a thorough write up on recruits, team-by-team. We were cleaned out early in the process.

Recruiting isn't new. No one is reinventing the wheel out there. The biggest dogs are now chosing where to go. Each time they do, they slide off someone else's board. Coaches then tick down to the next guy on the list.

The truth about Atkinsin has always been that he held one offer before ours - to Sam Houston State. This isn't a top prospect. There's nothing on film or from reports on his academic standing that put him at the front of the line for BCS-school coaching staffs.

Now, we're entering a time period where they've got to fill numbers. WVU has a spot to fill. Arkansas and Colorado wanted to get a close up before offering; and, when he declined to visit them, no offer was extended. Schools are now having to dig deeper into their lists. Atkinsin is, apparently, on some of those as a contingent.

(1) Dodge and his recruiting experience versus those who have been in the game for decades. Clearly, Dodge gets what is left behind with very, very few exceptions. He's doesn't have us out in front for any except those without offers or smaller offers - and, we've got lots of those type this year.

(2) Recruits understand winning and losing and what goes with all of it. These guys don't exist in a vacuum. They know guys from their area high schools, the region, etc. from camps, 7-on7s, etc. and see them coming home with their bowl stuff. They see each other on television. It doesn't take a rocket scientist for them to figure out that we're not anywhere near that.

On one service wire, Atkinsin listed the new stadium as a reason. He says he was told he'd be playing it. We all know that's unlikely as they now say 2011. Just as unlikely is that he'll ever taste a bowl game experience or get on TV much if he choses to cast his lot here for his final two years of eligibility.

At West Virginia, it's likely he'd be on TV every week somewhere. And, odds are great that he'll be in two bowl games. Exposure works to players' benefit as well. It's what gets them invites to Senior Bowls, the NFL scouting combine, etc. Ask our WR Fitzgerald whether more exposure could have given him some post-season invites to get in front of the NFL coaches and scouts.

It's all about a ticket to the highest level. We don't have it. West Virginia most certainly does.

Many of you will bad mouth Atkinsin as much as you did Vizza if he choses to better his lot, and that's pathetic. Rather than demand better from the program, you'd denigrate a kid for wanting to spend his college eligibility at a place that gives him more opportunities to taste the best of what college football has to offer.

Of course, you're hypocrites when you criticize them. Think about it. If someone walked into your office and offered you double your salary to do the exact same job, you'd take it. Why would you expect a kid, who has a limited amount of time to spend in college, to react any differently than you would if offered a chance to improve their lot in life?

For our sake, I hope Atkinsin stays. But, I won't be surprised or wish him any ill will if he chooses West Virginia.

But, whether you're still drinking Dodge's kool-aid or not, the world is still spinning as it always has in recruiting. And, simply put, Dodge hasn't made our place in the recruiting world any bigger or more attractive.

can you PLEASE go back on your hiatus from posting? this really gets old after awhile.

All of our recruits are recent and ESPN hasn't rated them yet.. you are nitpicking at something that isn't there buddy

can you PLEASE go back on your hiatus from posting? this really gets old after awhile.

yes please. when you become a college coach or scout and actually visit and are involved in the recruiting process i will listen to what you have to say. we all understand how this works. i'm sorry you wasted so much time typing up that post but everything you said is common sense.

for those of us football fans the recruiting time period is what gets us to the spring game. getting excited about these prospects and playing the "wish list" game is more enjoyable than watching the mavs su ck it up. so please don't act like you're the only person on this board with a clue.

What a douche, TFLF. Don't usually resort to name calling, but I will have to call it like I see it.

"We're not surprised." Who is the "we're," for whom you have been nominated spokesperson?

You argue Atkinson (spelled with a "son" on the end, not a "sin") isn't worth the paper this post is written on because he was only offered by Sam.

Then you blame Dodge for losing the guy no one wants to WVU. TFLF, please justify your vitriolic and constant hate-filled rants against Dodge. Please disclose the financial loss you have suffered because of Dodge. Please disclose the son or nephew's name who was not recruited by Dodge, not played by Dodge, not given a chance to walk on by Dodge. Please disclose the decline you got when you solicited sexual favors from Dodge.

I am confident it is none of that....just justify the 30 minutes a day you sit around constructing hateful and "intent-to-harm" posts that basically extoll the same message you have driveled into cyberspace since your first negative entry.

Can you just not offer a "ditto" for every post you want to put up? Save yourself the effort and spare us the scroll distance from the post before yours to the one after it. We all know you have passionate hate for Dodge. Your messages don't change. The snails pace of positive news that has come forth the past few weeks is eating you up inside. Your self-worth is based on Dodge failing and you will continue to do everything you can (wow, such power you wield in the tips of your type-writing fingers) to bring the guy down.

I am probably wrong on all of this, TFLF. I am sure you hold an honorable and vaulted place in society and use this forum as your "kick the dog" move toward your incompetent administrative assistant or college intern...just tell me why (I understand you owe me, just as anonymous as you, no explanation)? What is your goal? What has this guy done to you, Alex Forrest? It is one thing to hate...it is quite another to proactively attempt to quell anything that makes the guy look good.

We haven't even lost Shavod yet, and we gain another...and you choose to see nothing but the negative. What drives you, pal?

gmg

Scott Campbell

Flower Mound, TX

disclosures: Mean Green Club, mid-level donor, cheap season ticket holder, fan since 1980, 1982 grad

What a douche, TFLF. Don't usually resort to name calling, but I will have to call it like I see it.

"We're not surprised." Who is the "we're," for whom you have been nominated spokesperson?

You argue Atkinson (spelled with a "son" on the end, not a "sin") isn't worth the paper this post is written on because he was only offered by Sam.

Then you blame Dodge for losing the guy no one wants to WVU. TFLF, please justify your vitriolic and constant hate-filled rants against Dodge. Please disclose the financial loss you have suffered because of Dodge. Please disclose the son or nephew's name who was not recruited by Dodge, not played by Dodge, not given a chance to walk on by Dodge. Please disclose the decline you got when you solicited sexual favors from Dodge.

I am confident it is none of that....just justify the 30 minutes a day you sit around constructing hateful and "intent-to-harm" posts that basically extoll the same message you have driveled into cyberspace since your first negative entry.

Can you just not offer a "ditto" for every post you want to put up? Save yourself the effort and spare us the scroll distance from the post before yours to the one after it. We all know you have passionate hate for Dodge. Your messages don't change. The snails pace of positive news that has come forth the past few weeks is eating you up inside. Your self-worth is based on Dodge failing and you will continue to do everything you can (wow, such power you wield in the tips of your type-writing fingers) to bring the guy down.

I am probably wrong on all of this, TFLF. I am sure you hold an honorable and vaulted place in society and use this forum as your "kick the dog" move toward your incompetent administrative assistant or college intern...just tell me why (I understand you owe me, just as anonymous as you, no explanation)? What is your goal? What has this guy done to you, Alex Forrest? It is one thing to hate...it is quite another to proactively attempt to quell anything that makes the guy look good.

We haven't even lost Shavod yet, and we gain another...and you choose to see nothing but the negative. What drives you, pal?

gmg

Scott Campbell

Flower Mound, TX

disclosures: Mean Green Club, mid-level donor, cheap season ticket holder, fan since 1980, 1982 grad

i think todge and rodge tag teamed Ms TFLF and he is still a little upset.

Why don't you go support another program? I, for one, am sick and tired of your constant negative B.S. While your target is clearly Dodge and your utter disdain for him, you indirectly slam every young man that has committed to this program or is already on this team.

This board was a much more fun place when you kept your promise to not post. Believe it or not, but your opinion is not superior to everyone else's, although I know you find that as a shock. Dodge has outrecruited the previous coaching staff by miles. Look at the Houston Chronicles' list of top recruits. Every one of them signed with a BCS school other than one or two. Oldtimer, who is much more in tune with our recruiting than you'll ever be lists who we signed these young men over, and I'm happy to have every single one of them.

Atkinson will make the decision that is best for him. Hopefully, that is UNT.

Please disclose the decline you got when you solicited sexual favors from Dodge.

And people have accused me of contributing to the decline in the level of discourse on the board. Wow.

The man could care less if the South Lake Con Man wouldn't fellate him if he we displaying some level of coaching compitency. Its not a Dodge issue, its a UNT issue...and TFLF, like many others on here believe that UNT is capable of much better things but we've seen nothing from Dodge that leads us to believe he's capable of delivering...and we're basing this assumption off of results...not rivals stars...or unmitigating optimism.

We would all love to be dead wrong...because that would mean our beloved alma mater would be putting out a football product that is at the very least palatable...if not downright pleasent. At this point its reprehensible...and we expect better.

Whether people want to agree with TFLF or not he has the right to his opinion. Frankly I generally agree with much with what he has to say. You don't have to drink green kool-aid to be a NT fan. For me results is the best form of judging ones performance and in my opinion it is just not there for Dodge. It has been an embarrasing last couple of years for this football program and it seems that a lot of people are just content with it. Well maybe thats why little ol North Texas is still little piss ant North Texas in regards to athletics and big things. I for one enjoy TFLF and I hope he continues to post and post epically regardless of his stance on NT athletics.

Edited by Green Mean

And people have accused me of contributing to the decline in the level of discourse on the board. Wow.

The man could care less if the South Lake Con Man wouldn't fellate him if he we displaying some level of coaching compitency. Its not a Dodge issue, its a UNT issue...and TFLF, like many others on here believe that UNT is capable of much better things but we've seen nothing from Dodge that leads us to believe he's capable of delivering...and we're basing this assumption off of results...not rivals stars...or unmitigating optimism.

We would all love to be dead wrong...because that would mean our beloved alma mater would be putting out a football product that is at the very least palatable...if not downright pleasent. At this point its reprehensible...and we expect better.

Amen