Let's Play First Week W/l Connect The Dots

MeanGreenHoops

Tulsa whips UAB so that's a loss (L)

LSU is a loss, I don't think we need to even compare their first week result (L)

Rice whips SMU plus it's a road game s another loss for us (L)

FIU getting beaten pretty badly, but they did score 19 in the first half, an Kansas is highly ranked, but we do have them at home (W maybe)

ULL getting whipped by Southern Miss and we have them at home (W maybe)

ULM is only down 24 in the 4rd to a top 10 team , plus it's a road game (L)

Troy beat Middle (L)

WKU got beaten handily by a bad Indiana team, it's a road game so (W maybe)

Fl. Atl losing 35-10 to Texas but it's also road (L)

Middle lost by 14 to Troy, but it's a road (L)

Arkansas State down 5 in the 3rd to A&M, and even thought at home most likely (L)

So if all goes well 3-9.

I am hoping we would have seen progression of some sort.... but, it seems like same old same old.

i m growing more skeptical that he will ever right this ship.

I actually see some progression...we didn't give up 70, with probably less to work with on defense than last year especially up front. The offense tried to play ball control and run clock so it didn't get real ugly. There sounds like there are also some new formations to help an offense that struggled in 2nd half of games last year. And 3 wins would be better than 2 :P

Let me throw something crazy out there. Our defense was not that terrible, but our offense was strangely predictable and white bread. But we knew, realistically speaking, there was no way we were going to win this game. Is it possible that Dodge was holding back so we would have something to surprise Tulsa with?

Let me throw something crazy out there. Our defense was not that terrible, but our offense was strangely predictable and white bread. But we knew, realistically speaking, there was no way we were going to win this game. Is it possible that Dodge was holding back so we would have something to surprise Tulsa with?

Why even show up to the game if that was the thinking, better to take a forfeit and practice. This should not have been considered a $$$ game.

Guest GrayEagleOne

[quote name='Travis' date='Aug 30 2008, 08:56 PM' post

i m growing more skeptical that he will ever right this ship.

Knee Jerk Reaction. He's a little over a year into his job. KSU is a good team. Reactions like this is what is wrong with college football coaching ranks and why they dont have time to accomplish goals. Give him a chance and a couple years with Riley playing and his system in place.

We really don't have the luxury of waiting around another couple of years if we want donors and a new stadium.

Tonight was an embarassment. We were never in the game and the score could have been easily 60-0 if KSU really wanted to run it up. I believe that we were well into the second quarter before we ever made a first down. People that were supposed to be the strength of this team rarely got their name called. We were bad in all phases except for punting. Special teams were terrible last year and, with the exception of Spencer, aren't getting any better results so far. It's about time to start complaining about the special teams coaching.

I don't know that KSU is a good team. They're ranked above only Baylor and Iowa State in the Big XII but that doesn't mean that they're not a good team. They have a good quarterback but we were also supposed to have a good quarterback. No comparison. They had totally new running backs but that didn't hold them back. They didn't have a veteran offensive line that is very good. Our o-line made some mistakes but they did not cause the loss. They will be better when Drake returns and Jenkins gets in playing shape but they are a slight disappointment at the moment.

I'm hoping that we can show great improvement next week. We no doubt lost some of our attendance for next week due to our poor showing this week. We need all of the attendance and support that we can muster.

I haven't given up on Todd Dodge yet, but my confidence has sure waned.

Obviously, y'all must have forgot how far we had fallen when Dickey left. I, just like you wish this turnaround would happen overnight. It happens with time. Look for improvements along the way, and we can expect bigger things next year. Let us show something this world lacks much of and that is patience. GIVE DODGE TIME. It's what any college coach needs in turning a program around.

GMG

Tulsa whips UAB so that's a loss (L)

LSU is a loss, I don't think we need to even compare their first week result (L)

Rice whips SMU plus it's a road game s another loss for us (L)

FIU getting beaten pretty badly, but they did score 19 in the first half, an Kansas is highly ranked, but we do have them at home (W maybe)

ULL getting whipped by Southern Miss and we have them at home (W maybe)

ULM is only down 24 in the 4rd to a top 10 team , plus it's a road game (L)

Troy beat Middle (L)

WKU got beaten handily by a bad Indiana team, it's a road game so (W maybe)

Fl. Atl losing 35-10 to Texas but it's also road (L)

Middle lost by 14 to Troy, but it's a road (L)

Arkansas State down 5 in the 3rd to A&M, and even thought at home most likely (L)

So if all goes well 3-9.

I said earlier today, if this team wins 4 games, that is a 100% improvement from last year, and I will be completely happy with that. That being said, I am STUNNED we only got 6 points tonight on what a 15 yard drive? That is pathetic.

Ok, we all know that deep down that we were more than likely going to lose the game. Winning was a slim chance. I am not saying that our performance was stellar or our best moment, but I think that the team can learn more about themselves and prepare better for next week by losing a game we were predicted to lose. First point, if the team had won, it would have been much harder to get over the fact that we had beated KSU and focus on Tulsa possibly starting an avalanche of unraveling. Second, by losing it gets the team thinking that they can't afford to lose many more games and still have any momentum to carry themselves into conference and any chance at the bowl game. Third, this is the first game that Todd Dodge has coached with Gary DeLoach. Sure they have been working together all offseason but the pressure of a game is different. Maybe we haven't "gelled" enough.

But no matter how bleak today looked, we must stand behind our team!! How many of you thought we were going to the bowl game in 2001 heading into conference play after losing all those nonconference games?? I sure the heck didn't, but the team believed in themselves and the program reeled off 5 straight wins to win the conference and head to New Orleans. This is another one of those years guys. No matter how bleak it looks now, we must love and suppport them in their time of need as well as when they could do no wrong (i.e. those 25 straight conference wins '01-'04).

These are my two cents of everything. I am in no way a professional football critic, but hey, there is room for improvement. I haven't panicked yet. We played a really good team in their house! Maybe this season will be one of our worst, but I firmly believe that we will learn something from it and next year will be a much better one.

Thanks for listening to me! Here's to a good week next Saturday against Tulsa!!!!

Obviously, y'all must have forgot how far we had fallen when Dickey left. I, just like you wish this turnaround would happen overnight. It happens with time. Look for improvements along the way, and we can expect bigger things next year. Let us show something this world lacks much of and that is patience. GIVE DODGE TIME. It's what any college coach needs in turning a program around.

GMG

Great post !

I'm with GMG1999, four wins should be seen as an improvement for this team. My biggest question is why in the hell is Cam-Money not starting? I've been saying the same thing since last year, this team just doesn't have enough speed on offense, specifically, the RB position. Cam changes that when he plays.

I'm with GMG1999, four wins should be seen as an improvement for this team. My biggest question is why in the hell is Cam-Money not starting? I've been saying the same thing since last year, this team just doesn't have enough speed on offense, specifically, the RB position. Cam changes that when he plays.

You know, I'm thinking the same. We DO need to run, although I understand why some here are questioning the "run first" strategy we had tonight. Some have written about the terrific talent KSU has in d-backs, so maybe we just took what they gave us. However, the ability of Jamario Thomas to break a long one was the key to the recent games in which we did win. I think Montgomery is much closer to giving us that than Mosley, although Mosley has had good stats. Cam's performance at KSU is deserving of more playing time, in my opinion.

bite your tongue - we will beat Monroe! They have always been the closest thing to a rival we have ever had next to NMSU. when we are down we beat them - when they are down they can beat us!

The Mean Green offense needs a rhythm and when that hits (tulsa) the Green are going to roll. The difference is that this year DeLoach will not let his defense get smoked quarter after quarter, game after game. once we put some points up on the board and shut the gustav hurricanes down on a few series we will pull away for our first W of the year!

at the end of the day, win, lose, slaughter or get blown out - does anything beat a hot humid beer drenched day in Mean Green Country for the home opener? didn't think so - BE THERE - GET CRAZY!

GMG