Who Will Start And Star In 2008

Hey, the above mentioned were not starters until 2007, as far as my limited knowledge. I think Drake and Fitz were backups before 2007, with the other two true freshmen. Those four won considerable honors though, and deservedly so. Who will start for the first time, get enough quality playing time, and have enough positive impact to at least be all-conference, if not "freshman all-america" or other, perhaps greater honors.

My projections:

Gabe Hollivay, just because he sounds like what we need on the offensive line;

Alonzo Horton, just because he's what we need at defensive end and would make a great story as a major force in opposing backfields;

Jeremy Knott, because he's got to be noticed if he substantially improves our kicking game;

Jordan Scoggins, a sentimental favorite of mine, since he's from Euless Trinity, but mostly because we need someone to really step up at defensive tackle, and if he succeeded there, could help clear the way for a Charlie Brown move to DE-also, Scoggins always seemed to like contact and to beat his man when he played for Trinity.

Not that many others don't have the talent and character to excel; Marcus King, Cam Montgomery, and J.J. Johnson come to mind, but I really think it will be difficult for new wide receivers to stand out; Micah Mosley ensures that Cam will most likely share running attempts; and once Kelvin Drake and Chad Rose get healthy, I think Drake will take most of the reps at center, with Rose as backup. Anyway, just thought I'd limit myself to four, since we had four new "starters and stars" last year (and please correct me if I'm wrong on that). Other possibilities? What does anyone here think about other JUCO transfers, such as Adryan adams, Justin Edwards, or Nate Jenkins starting? True freshmen, such as Kenny Barrett, Troy Franklin, or Coleman Feeley? Either redshirts from last year, such as the linebackers Justin Padron or Marquese Davis, or even a linebacker with minimal time shifting to another position, Marquis Sykes?

Edited by eulessismore

Guest GrayEagleOne

My candidates are Justin Edwards, Alonzo Horton, and Sam Dibrell. What would really please me if Jamel Jackson can become an all-conference return man.

Not to trivialize the importance of any player or position on this team, but having a reliable kicker can be the difference between a 4-8 season and a possible 6-6 or 7-5 season. I know Moreland gave his all last year, but I cant remember a season in the past where I repeatedly crossed my fingers on the extra point tries? Kicker - Jeremy Knott will be the big difference maker this year. That kid has a huge leg and will keep us in some close games. I predict he will win a couple of conference games for us as well. I havent predicted a game-winning field goal since the Baz-manian Devil played here, (I think I said Nicki would win them all for us) but I will call for an upset of Kansas State. Jeremy Knott will kick the game winning field goal and mere seconds left on the clock.

If App. State can beat Michigan in their house, why not NT in Mahattan???

GMG!!!

Not to trivialize the importance of any player or position on this team, but having a reliable kicker can be the difference between a 4-8 season and a possible 6-6 or 7-5 season. I know Moreland gave his all last year, but I cant remember a season in the past where I repeatedly crossed my fingers on the extra point tries? Kicker - Jeremy Knott will be the big difference maker this year. That kid has a huge leg and will keep us in some close games. I predict he will win a couple of conference games for us as well. I havent predicted a game-winning field goal since the Baz-manian Devil played here, (I think I said Nicki would win them all for us) but I will call for an upset of Kansas State. Jeremy Knott will kick the game winning field goal and mere seconds left on the clock.

GMG!!!

Great pick... seriously. I wouldn't have thought about that, but considering the number of times we went for it on 4th inside the opponent's 30 yardline... instead of kicking the field goal. could be a huge difference.

I would personally pick horton. maybe I'm just really hoping, but this guy just looks awsome on paper. couldn't get on the field much at auburn...but man, he just looks like a monster just waiting to get a chance....

GMG!!!

I remember doing a lot of finger crossing when it was Nick Balzadua's first year. It felt a lot like last year to me.

Something screams to me about Sam Roberson and Justin Edwards.

I got the chance to see Roberson in the spring, and he was as advertised, and I think he will be a BEAST.

Then with Edwards, something about him makes me think of Buckles. I know that is saying a lot without the guy even putting on a green jersey, but I have a feeling. Buckles is one of my all time favorite Mean Green players

Something screams to me about Sam Roberson and Justin Edwards.

I got the chance to see Roberson in the spring, and he was as advertised, and I think he will be a BEAST.

Then with Edwards, something about him makes me think of Buckles. I know that is saying a lot without the guy even putting on a green jersey, but I have a feeling. Buckles is one of my all time favorite Mean Green players

The back four that included Craig and Jonas was my favorite secondary bar none.

Didn't hurt that they played with one of the best LB units we ever had.

I have heard a lot of players say Roberson is the best reciever on the team.

Man how quickly people forget about an All-American. Have you ever seen Roberson run routes other than a fly route or go route?

Watch Casey and Dibrell run routes. Their is a big difference between the routes Linus Sneed runs vs. a player like Jordan Shipley.

Casey runs unbelievable routes. Roberson is a speciman and a helluva athlete but please don't forget about one, Casey "walk on" Fitz, the all-american.

I was going to pick one of my boys but I think the dude Tobe at LB will be the player of the year for the UNT defense.

Edited by bigntex

Man how quickly players on the team forget about an All-American. Have you ever seen Roberson run routes other than a fly route or go route?

fixed that for you. Again, I said players on the team said this. I don't understand why you feel the need to direct this at me I would figure some of the players know a bit more than you my friend.

So far, players mentioned as potential new starters and stars, and votes:

Alonzo Horton-3

Jeremy Knott-3

Justin Edwards-2

Sam Roberson-2

Lance Dunbar-2

Others mentioned (1 each): Sam Dibrell, Gabe Hollivay, Jemal Jackson, Nate Jenkins, Jordan Scoggins

Hey, I'd really like to hear from others, especially regarding offensive linemen and defensive tackles. I'm really wondering whether people think we are lacking in those areas, or that we're uncertain about the talent, experience, or depth we have there. I certainly think this is a year that a true freshman could get significant playing time on either side of the line of scrimmage, and that one or more of last year's redshirts could end up starting, and making a big impact; also, others moving to the line from other positions may truly find a home.

My predictions for break out years for players with little or no playing time last year. Mongomery at rb, Jenkins in ol, Fentress at wr, Horton at de, Ross at dt, Edwards and Cooks at db. Breaking into the starting lineup next year: Jenkins at ot, Fentress & Roberson at wr, Horton & Daveport at de's, Miller at dt, Pinson and Nwigwe at lb, Edwards, Cooks and Juco Hill at DB. Biggest contribution by a newcomer, Horton.

GMG!!!

This was going to be my pick as well. This guy, if he's as accurate as advertised, could give us at least 3-6 points a game and maybe take away some points from the other teams by pinning them back on kick offs or at least giving our kick coverage another half second or so to get down there.

I also expect Fentriss to have a great year.

I expect that once Cam gets himself onto the field, Mosley and whoever else are active will find it difficult to get him back off.

Mosley is a beast! He has gotten bigger and faster during the off season. I think the running back position is going to surprise some people. It will be major strength this season and open up the passing game even more. I agree with the others on the board about Fentriss. I think he and Roberson will be difficult to contain. I also think that the kid from Caddo Mills Desmond Brigham might make a break through and become one of the starters.

I just wondered if anyone (besides myself) would like to change their selection, since Alonzo Horton was tied for the most mentions, along with Jeremy Knott. My new projections for new starters and stars in 2008 are:

Gabe Hollivay

Jeremy Knott

Troy Franklin (replacing Alonzo Horton; I like him because he's capable of playing OT or DT)

Jordan Scoggins

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it, for now!