While We're On The Subject Of Scheduling And What Not...

At my high school our chief rival was situated just across the Trinity River. Our series was called the "Battle of the Big Sandy." I'd be interested if anyone on here has any idea what schools I'm referring to. My guess would be no......

That would be the annual game between Bridgeport and Decatur of course.

Rick

SMU and TCU already have rivals... each other. You can't just insert yourself into the middle of it because you want to.

Right now, our best bets are those in the Sun Belt that share a border and have similar growth potential to ourselves. I think Arkansas State probably has the most potential strictly as a rival, as there is a Texas - Arkansas natural rivalry (a sentiment that I rarely see expressed in regards to Louisiana or New Mexico) and the big boys (UT-Arkansas) don't regularly play each other these days (not like they used to). I think you can find a solid number of ASU alumni and fans in the North Texas area (enough to help drive some demand for the game). You make a big deal out of it being a border war, you give some kind of trophy, you drum up demand for the game.

The problem with any of these rivalries is that rivalries don't spring up overnight, and our history isn't one that allows for the renewal of any past rivalry, because very few people have knowledge of or give a crap about our past.

Actually, each team would have one home and one away each year. For example, let's say in year one UNT goes to SMU, SMU goes to TCU and TCU comes to UNT. The second year the process is reversed, i.e. SMU comes to UNT, TCU goes SMU and UNT goes to TCU. In year three the schedule is the same as in year one. Year four is the same as year two. That make one home and one away for each team every year.

Three teams in the same area playing each other every year would synergize the series.

Since each could win once what happens in that scenario, total points, just curious and bored.

As lame as the SMU-TCU Frying pan is, it's a thing.

We should pursue something similar with a school that is either in-state or borders Texas. The Big Ten has so many of these, it's not even funny. You've got the Little Brown Jug (Minnesota/Michigan), The Paul Bunyan's Ax (Minnesota/Wisconsin), Floyd of Rosedale (Minnesota/Iowa), Governor's Victory Bell (Minnesota/Penn State), Paul Bunyon Trophy (Michigan/Michigan State), Land Grant Trophy (Penn State/Michigan State), Heartland Trophy (Iowa/Wisconsin), Cy-Hawk Trophy (Iowa/Iowa State). Texas and OU have the Golden Hat.

We've got...nunca. Nothing.

Suggestions:

We're 8-9 all-time against Arkansas State, we share a border with them. Get some kind of trophy there.

We're 7-5 all-time against Houston, lets get a long-term thing going with them with a trophy to top it off - a true North Texas versus South Texas thing could be had here.

We're 12-12 all-time against Louisiana-Monroe. They border us, get something going.

Texas State is the team we've played the most all-time with 39 contest between us and them. At the I-A level, we've played New Mexico State more than anyone else, 33 times (SMU also has 33 games with us...but they don't like to play us).

The point is, let's do something. Get a rivalry thing going for real. A contracted number of home and homes for an out of conference foe, and a little extra bragging right thing to carry home at the end of the game.

Marketing. Selling the program. Thinking outside of the box...

...thinking at all.... :ph34r:

There's plenty of Texas history and lore, as well as cross border shenanigans with our neighbors such that we ought to be able to get something going in this direction. It'd be a good opportunity for the athletic department to invite in the History and Art department to help build school spirit...and all that goes with it.

I agree we need to build a rivalry game with another school near us, but when I look at the teams being suggested I think we may be thinking about this all wrong. SMU and TCU really don't want to play us. I would like to see us play Houston more often, but I don't think a series with them will bring us too much closer to joining C-USA.

It is my opinion that a rivalry series with Oklahoma State would be are best option. We have played them many times(although not very recently). They are close enough for both teams to travel (we may have to offer them more tickets at Fouts, play two in Stillwater for every one at Fouts, and add folding chairs around the track to get them to agree, until we get a suitable stadium). Boone Pickins has given a fortune to the athletic department because he is tired of watching them lose. Ok State will see it as a Body-Bag-Almost-Home-Game (though we North Texas fans know it won't be that easy for them). And I believe Boone Pickins still lives in the Dallas area, so he'd most likely support it and it really would be a home game for him.

Oklahoma State is on its way up. Boone Pickins and his money will make sure of that. In 5 or 10 Years they will be the best football program in Oklahoma and one of the best in the country. We need to hitch our wagon to that team. Create a trophy. Call it the Pickins/Whoever-Buys-the-Naming-Rights-to-Our-New-Stadium Trophy, or something, and get the game on T.V. Name the series something cool and make sure we sign to play at least 10 straight years with an option for longer. Before year 10 I believe it will be a hard fought, shootout game that Oklahoma State and the rest of the country will look forward to watching. We may even get offers to join others conferences by then.

I like the idea of Okie State. I would think they would jump at an opportunity to play in Dallas every other year. Time it during the state fair and Okie State fans could make the trip to enjoy some corn dogs and funnel cakes just like their brethren. Call it Oklatober!

GMG

I like the idea of Okie State. I would think they would jump at an opportunity to play in Dallas every other year. Time it during the state fair and Okie State fans could make the trip to enjoy some corn dogs and funnel cakes just like their brethren. Call it Oklatober!

GMG

What about two of the biggest music towns for their size, Denton and Lubbock, starting a home and home (Tech/UNT) annual football game/music festival; Rocktoberfest!

GMG

JerryWorld was trying to lure Tech and OkieState to play in Arlington every year like he did with UArk and A$M. It would be very hard to get them to Denton when Jerry is offering $1 mil per game.

Edited by NT80

JerryWorld was trying to lure Tech and OkieState to play in Arlington every year like he did with UArk and A$M. It would be very hard to get them to Denton when Jerry is offering $1 mil per game.

Oklahoma State is in a unique position. They don't need the cash. To Pickins the wins are more important. They play Tech every year anyway. Why would they want to move it out of their stadium that they just renovated? Fans like home games. I don't think this Tech/ Oklahoma State game at JerryWorld will happen.

post-550-1212341161_thumb.jpgI like the ideas for trying to create a rival game. Too bad your one most natural rival doesn't currently play football, but at least you have a nice basketball rivalry brewing with The University of Texas at Arlington. Nothing seems too farfetched to exclude from this conversation: maybe one of these days UTA will get a president who has the "testicular fortitude" to bring back football. We could play our rivalry game in Jerry's new house, so as to accommodate the enormous crowd :D

Guest GrayEagleOne

Since each could win once what happens in that scenario, total points, just curious and bored.

I don't see it happening very often but when it did, I'd think maybe total margin and if that is tied, then total points.

My preference would would be a trophy for each year, not a travelling trophy. But, I guess that each would get a trophy in the event of a three-way tie.

Edited by GrayEagleOne

From Wise County? Or just that big of a football fan?

He's a big fan of High School football and big rivalrys. Plus, we're friends and I'm a Decatur graduate. In my day, we didn't call it the 'Battle of Sandy Creek"(Big Sandy is in East Texas). We just called it the annual butt-kicking (Bridgeport's butt that is).