Which Would Be A Sweeter Victory In 08, Ks Or Tulsa?

I know many of you have followed North Texas football long enough to see us provide the first win (in a 1-10 season) for Bill Snyder at K-State. Feel free to refresh my memory; was that the one where they tore down the goalposts? It had been a long winless spell for them, so I'm thinking yes. That was the first of many wins for Snyder at KS, and may have had some morale boost that helped them succeed in making that program the success it became. It certainly wouldn't be easy to win one there in the Little Apple, but I don't think it's as far fetched as winning in Norman would have been last year. Considering the success of their program since that game almost 20 years ago, and the way they played last year, beating Texas and Colorado, it would be a major accomplishment coming out of there with a win. We last beat them in 1985, and are 1-3 against them overall.

I think we all know too much about the way Tulsa has played us recently; with blowouts in a home and home series 2005-2006. Many have mentioned Steve Kragthorpe going in and taking a 1-11 team in 2002 to 8-5 in 2003. However, he went 4-8 in 2004, so maybe it took the proverbial third year to make him look great. In his third year at Tulsa, North Texas was their first win, and they went 9-4, beating Fresno State in the Liberty bowl. Of course they beat us in 2006, their, went on to an 8-5 record for their first consecutive winning seasons since 1985-1986. Of course they looked outstanding in 2007 as well under Todd Graham, with a 10-4 record, losing to Oklahoma, Central Florida (twice), and UTEP by a point, and ending by blowing out Bowling Green in the GMAC bowl. We last beat them in 1969, and are 6-15 against them overall.

My money is on us taking Tulsa down by a touchdown before the largest crowd in the history of Fouts Field, and starting a new winning tradition for North Texas, much as we helped K-State and Tulsa get started with theirs. I think we won't beat K-State next year, but will in 2010 in Denton, whether Fouts or whatever our new stadium will be named.

I realize that as far as national recognition goes K-State would be the bigger victory, but in my opinion laying it on Tulsa would be sweeter. I remember our first home game about 3 years ago. We were coming off 3 straight NO Bowls. ESPN was on campus to nationally televise the game. Patrick and Jamario were both healthy and primed to become one of the most prolific rushing tandems in recent NCAA history. The Mighty Quinn had estaqblished himself as the premier WR in the conference. The stadium was (relatively) packed. And Tulsa just laid it to us....... Their f-ing TE went for about 150 yards and a touchdown for crying out loud.

That was my 4th year at UNT and I can honestly say you could see a sharp contrast in the interest of the student body towards the program before and after that game. To me that game signified the end of SBC dominance.

I would love nothing more this season than for UNT's upturn to begin with a sound whipping of those dirty Golden Hurricanes.

Edited by Green P1

I realize that as far as national recognition goes K-State would be the bigger victory, but in my opinion laying it on Tulsa would be sweeter. I remember our first home game about 3 years ago. We were coming off 3 straight NO Bowls. ESPN was on campus to nationally televise the game. Patrick and Jamario were both healthy and primed to become one of the most prolific rushing tandems in recent NCAA history. The Mighty Quinn had estaqblished himself as the premier WR in the conference. The stadium was (relatively) packed. And Tulsa just laid it to us....... Their f-ing TE went for about 150 yards and a touchdown for crying out loud.

That was my 4th year at UNT and I can honestly say you could see a sharp contrast in the interest of the student body towards the program before and after that game. To me that game signified the end of SBC dominance.

I would love nothing more this season than for UNT's upturn to begin with a sound whipping of those dirty Golden Hurricanes.

I agree... In terms of our short term future (better conference, CUSA maybe?), beating the "power" team in that conference would better serve us and help us establish clearer short and mid range goals for the program.

Beating KSU would just be fun as hell though. :devil:

Beating KSU would definitley be much bigger I think overall. I dont know if it would be a turning point in UNT football per se but I think it would be a huge step taken in the Todd Dodge era. I think more and more would take him seriously and he would get out of that cloud of being a HS coach.

I think beating Tulsa would be more important. If we beat Kansas State then lose to Tulsa at home a lot of people will think "Oh, no.....here we go again" and all the momentum from the Kansas State win will be lost. If we win at home against Tulsa perhaps a few of our casual fans will have a good experience and come back for another home game. A loss to Tulsa at Fouts Field would kill that.

Have to agree - KSU would be great for National Attention, but Tulsa would definately be sweeter.

I hope we do a number on tulsa. This may be the year to do it as tulsa has lost several seniors. Tulas won 9 games last year. They beat

La Mon 35-17,

Byu 55-47

Uab 38-30

Marshell 38-31

smu 29-23

tulane 49-25

houston 56-7

army 49-39

rice 48-43

They lost their 3 year starting qb along with a couple lb's ot's and De's. They put up big numbers because of their qB. I am thinking tulsa will be sweeter.

Mind you I'm assuming this was an either or question.

I gotta go with Tulsa too. If we were to beat KSU every person on this board would need to buy bigger underwear because of the 7 day stiffy we'd have, and the local media would notice...and perhaps even the national media would squeeze a mention in between Pete Carroll's haircut and Joe Pa mummification.

If we then turn around and lose to Tulsa all of our stiffies would go away, the students would turn away for the rest of the season, the local media would go back to blowing Mack Brown 24/7 and the national media wouldn't even give it mention because they, like everyone else, would say "KSU was a fluke, same ol' North Texas."

I gotta go with Tulsa too. If we were to beat KSU every person on this board would need to buy bigger underwear because of the 7 day stiffy we'd have, and the local media would notice...and perhaps even the national media would squeeze a mention in between Pete Carroll's haircut and Joe Pa mummification.

If we then turn around and lose to Tulsa all of our stiffies would go away, the students would turn away for the rest of the season, the local media would go back to blowing Mack Brown 24/7 and the national media wouldn't even give it mention because they, like everyone else, would say "KSU was a fluke, same ol' North Texas."

I pretty much agree with what you said!

OK, so we just beat both of 'um ! :rolleyes:

To be clear, I'm assuming there is a difference between bigger and sweeter. K-state would obviously be the bigger win. Beating a Big 12 team in a money game would be huge. Beating Tulsa on the other hand, with the history of what they did to our program the last time we met in Denton, would be sweeter.

To be clear, I'm assuming there is a difference between bigger and sweeter. K-state would obviously be the bigger win. Beating a Big 12 team in a money game would be huge. Beating Tulsa on the other hand, with the history of what they did to our program the last time we met in Denton, would be sweeter.

Yes, I was asking for sweeter. Thanks for understanding, and responding on topic.

Even though Tulsa lost their stud QB, they can score points in Huge chunks. They have a senior QB running first team and the younger Harrell kid and another QB battling for the second spot.

Tall order for Coach Deloach with high powered offenses (Rice, Tulsa, LSU and K-State). Rice really throws the ball and spreads it around nicely. Rice is a very veteran team with a All-American WR themselves. Tulsa chunks it good as anybody in the country. LSU, enough said, but K-State is the team that blows hot and cold. Big time QB but JUCO players will play a huge role in the opener.

Upset pick will be UNT over K-State, I really believe, at a minimum, UNT will cover the spread in Manhatten.

Edited by nautique

Even though Tulsa lost their stud QB, they can score points in Huge chunks. They have a senior QB running first team and the younger Harrell kid and another QB battling for the second spot.

Tall order for Coach Deloach with high powered offenses (Rice, Tulsa, LSU and K-State). Rice really throws the ball and spreads it around nicely. Rice is a very veteran team with a All-American WR themselves. Tulsa chunks it good as anybody in the country. LSU, enough said, but K-State is the team that blows hot and cold. Big time QB but JUCO players will play a huge role in the opener.

Upset pick will be UNT over K-State, I really believe, at a minimum, UNT will cover the spread in Manhatten.

Thanks for the input; I was hoping someone could add a little analysis in there.

Tulsa is no given as long as Paul Smith is at QB. That guy has been terrorizing opponents for years. In fact, this thread has inspired me to do some research by eod tomorrow. I think it will be nice for you all to see.

K-State might be sweeter for the W, but Emmitt is right: if we lose to the Golden 'canes then it will be null and void.

Tulsa is no given as long as Paul Smith is at QB. That guy has been terrorizing opponents for years. In fact, this thread has inspired me to do some research by eod tomorrow. I think it will be nice for you all to see.

K-State might be sweeter for the W, but Emmitt is right: if we lose to the Golden 'canes then it will be null and void.

I thought Paul Smith was a senior last year?