Dodge Announces Defensive Staff Change

Smitty

DENTON, Texas (1/4/08) – University of North Texas head football coach Todd Dodge has announced that he will not renew the contract of defensive coordinator Ron Mendoza for the 2008 season.

“After careful evaluation of our defense during this last season I have decided it is in the best interest of this football program to make a change at defensive coordinator,” Dodge said. “These decisions are never easy, but ultimately I have to take the steps necessary that I believe will help build the football program at the University of North Texas.”

Mendoza spent just one season at North Texas after Dodge brought him from his staff at Southlake Carroll High School where the two spent the previous seven years together. In addition to his coordinator duties, Mendoza also coached the Mean Green linebackers.

“I truly appreciate the dedication and the effort that Ron Mendoza put into this program throughout the last year,” Dodge said. “He is an outstanding football coach and a dear friend and I wish the absolute best for him in the future.”

Tough cut for Coach Dodge, but shows he will do whatever he needs to do to turn this thing around and as quickly as possible. Sorry Coach Dodge had to do this, but he is the head coach and the buck stops with him. That is a position that he is 100% willing to assume...the buck stops with him and he knows it and accepts it! The guy knows what he is doing and he WILL win at UNT! You gotta believe!

GO MEAN GREEN!

Those people who thought after the 2-10 season that the Dodge hire was not a good one because he came out and made a statement saying that there would be no staff changes, need to reconsider their stance. My original post was somewhat confusing as I didn't convey what I was trying to say. With the news that he has moved on trying to fix this defense, I think it gives us even more hope of what is to come with Dodge at the helm.

Edited by GoMeanGreen1999

GoMeanGreen1999...please explain a bit...I am not sure I see where your first sentance matches up with your second.....who should question themselves and why? If you believed in Dodge's commitment when he first came...why would you question yourself now that he has made a "tough" personal call and look for ways to improve????

Huh? :blink:

GoMeanGreen1999...please explain a bit...I am not sure I see where your first sentance matches up with your second.....who should question themselves and why? If you believed in Dodge's commitment when he first came...why would you question yourself now that he has made a "tough" personal call and look for ways to improve????

Huh? :blink:

Oh sorry about that....I guess what I meant to say was that there were some on here that just questioned Dodge's hire after the defensive season we had.

My Brother is the proud parent of a SLC player. They are under the impression that Mendoza had no talent to work with on Defense. His exact quote was "Todd Dodge always put his best athletes on offense here, and Mendoza still put top flight defenses on the field with lesser performers". My response...

"Really, did Mendoza have to find a way to hold on to a 62-POINT LEAD at SouthLake? He couldnt find a way to do it in Denton with EXCEPTIONAL athletes?"

Sorry, I'm just glad a change has been made. Way to go Coach Dodge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's over and I'm out.

GMG!!!

Those that truely consider Dodge's committment to North Texas and his desire to build a winning program should really question themselves. This move only supports what many have said since the hire of Dodge - he will win here and he will take whatever steps necessary to make that happen.

I said a while back that I would only question Dodge if he kept Mendoza. No questions here.

Those that truely consider Dodge's committment to North Texas and his desire to build a winning program should really question themselves. This move only supports what many have said since the hire of Dodge - he will win here and he will take whatever steps necessary to make that happen.

that doesn't make any sense

Burgandy.jpeg

Edited by MeanMag

My Brother is the proud parent of a SLC player. They are under the impression that Mendoza had no talent to work with on Defense. His exact quote was "Todd Dodge always put his best athletes on offense here, and Mendoza still put top flight defenses on the field with lesser performers". My response...

"Really, did Mendoza have to find a way to hold on to a 62-POINT LEAD at SouthLake? He couldnt find a way to do it in Denton with EXCEPTIONAL athletes?"

Sorry, I'm just glad a change has been made. Way to go Coach Dodge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's over and I'm out.

GMG!!!

Interesting. When/where/to whom did Mendoza actually say this? Just curious.

“After careful evaluation of our defense during this last season I have decided it is in the best interest of this football program to make a change at defensive coordinator,” Dodge said. “These decisions are never easy, but ultimately I have to take the steps necessary that I believe will help build the football program at the University of North Texas.”

Dodge did what needed to be done for the program. I respected him before but even more now.

What a shock. I figured the Mendoza debacle had at least another year to run its course.

This was the right move on Dodge's part. I hope he brings in an experienced hand who's been in the college game for a while. Dodge doesn't need that kind of help on offense, clearly, but on defense we underperformed all season with a squad that should have been one of our strengths. I hang that on coaching more than players.