The Defense

akriesman

I want to preface this by saying that TD WILL get things turned around eventually. When he does, we will have the most exciting football ever brought to Denton. I support the team and all the coaches 100%.

Frankly, the offense is just about where I would have expected them to be this year. At times, the offense shows some signs of being really good. And, the offense is going to be something special in a season or two.

My only real concern at this point has to do with the defense. And, I am pretty darn concerned.

I have watched NT football since 1983. The defense that I have seen this season may be the worst performing D since then. Even in the 1-AA days against the big schools, I thought we were tougher on defense than what we have seen this season.

The FAU game was OK. The other 3 games were just abysmal on defense. I know that people will say that were were shelled against juggernaught OU and Arkansas. But, it is the way the games played out that really concern me.

Here are some of the facts that really have me concerned about the defense:

(1) Despite us being overmatched physically against OU and Arkansas as expected, their starters literally scored at will against us in the all important 1st halves when the starters were playing. The result was much worse than you would have expected. OU could have easily scored 100 on us. Arkansas may have been very close to 100. There has been no defensive resistence against those teams in the first half......none. One of the Arkansas players has his family living across the street from us. I will be curious to hear what they have to say about our defensive schemes.

(2) While the offense is learning an entirely new system, the defensive scheme should not be nearly as difficult to adjust to. And, many of the defensive starters are returning from last year. There is too big of drop off to put the blame completely on the returning players. Something is wrong here from a coaching/scheme standpoint.

(3) We seem to be very light on defensive recruits in TD's recruiting classes. I understand why we get the upper-tier recruits on offense (QB's and WR's love the system). But, the defensive side of the ball is going to need a lot of help either in talent or from coaching improvements (or both).

Since the entire staff is new this year, I have no problem giving them all some time to correct things. I love their attitude and the positivity they bring to the university. But, I have to admit to being just a little worried about the defense, even for the coming seasons.

Edited by akriesman

Everyone should just give the entire coaching staff a free pass this year including the Defense, I read that a few of our starters from last years defense showed up to fall practice out of shape. Next year if we don't see improvement then everyone can start busting Mendoza's chops.

Are you kidding me???? He has had one class!!

I was alluding to the 2007 and early 2008 classes. From what I remember, both classes are very heavy on offense, especially the higher rated players.

Believe me, I am VERY happy with the early recruiting. We have never seen so many top recruits here at NT. I would just feel a bit more comfortable if a few of those WR's were defensive players. This is not a big issue right now. But, could it not be a possiblity that defense was not seen as a big need prior to the start of the season ? As a result, there is a chance we could get caught short in this area with so many offers being made to WR's.

I am one of the fans that is willing to give the new staff a full 3 or 4 years before making any judgements. Right now, I am just trying to understand why the defense appears to be underachieving even the lowest expectations.

Just returned to Kansas City from the game. Our defense lacks great athletes/playmakers and these kids are playing without confidence. But Mendoza (coordinator) does not belong on the college level! First year or not this guy does not have the skill to coach or motivate players at this level. Mark my words!

Just returned to Kansas City from the game. Our defense lacks great athletes/playmakers and these kids are playing without confidence. But Mendoza (coordinator) does not belong on the college level! First year or not this guy does not have the skill to coach or motivate players at this level. Mark my words!

It is getting really hard to argue with your assessment. I HOPE that Todd Dodge does begin to address this problem seriously.

Can switching to 4-3 really be the cause of our defensive woes?

I highly doubt this has any effect. Remember NT just switched to the 3-4 last year. The recruits before then all came in on the 4-3. So, the players who are jr/srs now were recruited during the 4-3 years.

Now defensive recruiting, that's a whole other debate.

Edited by Got5onIt

I'm not sure Mendoza is the problem. We have exactly 2 better than average Sun Belt players on defense. We have been bad on defense for a number of years now-really bad.

Are we worse on D than we were last year? I doubt it. Yes, this defense is returning 9 starters but my hope was to have some underclassmen step up and show they had superior talent. That just didn't happen. I can only judge this defense when we have played 2 or 3 more conference games. I may change my tune after that.

I wish there was some tricked up defense we would employ like our offense but to my knowledge there is none.

The last time I remember seeing the defense make a play or generally play well was against FIU last year. FIU is awful.

I am going to judge Mendoza right now on:

1) Players playing to the best of their ability.

2) Whether the players quit on him.

3) If the players like playing for him and believe in him.

4) Some improvement in conference play vs. how we fared last year.

In February I will judge him on his contribution in recruiting. I suspect he will be highly motivated.

I'm not sure Mendoza is the problem. We have exactly 2 better than average Sun Belt players on defense. We have been bad on defense for a number of years now-really bad.

Are we worse on D than we were last year? I doubt it. Yes, this defense is returning 9 starters but my hope was to have some underclassmen step up and show they had superior talent. That just didn't happen. I can only judge this defense when we have played 2 or 3 more conference games. I may change my tune after that.

I wish there was some tricked up defense we would employ like our offense but to my knowledge there is none.

The last time I remember seeing the defense make a play or generally play well was against FIU last year. FIU is awful.

I am going to judge Mendoza right now on:

1) Players playing to the best of their ability.

2) Whether the players quit on him.

3) If the players like playing for him and believe in him.

4) Some improvement in conference play vs. how we fared last year.

In February I will judge him on his contribution in recruiting. I suspect he will be highly motivated.

You doubt our D is worse than last year? That's like saying you doubt KSU beat Texas yesterday.

There is no need to debate that we have bottomed out. We have. The question is how to improve things to the point where we can walk away from this seasons with 3-4 wins. There is no need to sit around and debate the degree to which we suck or related factors. What is wrong NOW - and how do we fix it?

You doubt our D is worse than last year? That's like saying you doubt KSU beat Texas yesterday.

There is no need to debate that we have bottomed out. We have. The question is how to improve things to the point where we can walk away from this seasons with 3-4 wins. There is no need to sit around and debate the degree to which we suck or related factors. What is wrong NOW - and how do we fix it?

Well, one quick fix would be for these two guys to switch roles.

http://www.meangreensports.com/ViewArticle...p;Q_SEASON=2007

http://www.meangreensports.com/ViewArticle...p;Q_SEASON=2007

I'm sure that TD regrets ever saying that "defense would be the strength of the team". I know it's only 4 games, but to me, Mendoza's defensive schemes just ain't workin'.

Absolutely, the defense returned 8 starters. It was better (though not good) last year by far. Most of the players had experience in the 4-3 (from 2005) and it was not that radical of a shift.

What Mendoza doesn't seem to realize is that to compete in college as opposed to high school, !. You have to DISGUISE schemes; 2. Make rapid and continual adjustments; 3 BLITZ some ( I know TD doesn't like it) but, I don't know of a successful 1A defense that doesn't blitz at least some; and 4. Adjust the overall defensive plan to the talent available.

The offense can only do so much. If we had Vince Young at QB, we'd still be losing because we getting very close to bottom on the nation in terms of yards given up and it doesn't seem to be much better even when the other team puts in their 2nd and 3rd team players.

I HOPE THAT SOMEONE ON THE COACHING STAFF WILL TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR FIXING THIS SOON OR IT IS GOING TO BE A VERY LONG SEASON AND PROSPECTS WON'T BE MUCH BRIGHTER NEXT YEAR WITHOUT SOME NEW THINKING ON DEFENSE.

Can switching to 4-3 really be the cause of our defensive woes?

Just back from Fayetteville, and I'll post my rant about the trip later with pictures. But concerning this defense and after watching yesterday's debacle it's obvious to me why Coach Bliel switched us to a 3-4. And I think we need to go back to it. It's not too late to make the switch now. What could it hurt?

I'll post more on the defense I saw yesterday on the VIP board.

Rick

You may be right GreenFlag about the 2 players. Mendoza , on the other hand, I do not agree with you.

I would say Holman & Weathers are the best defensive players on this team. Noone here expected this defensive unit to become the '85 Bears this year. The tremendous dropoff in play is the issue. Even casual NT fans (if there is a such a thing :D ) can see the difference this year from last.

Edited by Got5onIt

Just back from Fayetteville, and I'll post my rant about the trip later with pictures. But concerning this defense and after watching yesterday's debacle it's obvious to me why Coach Bliel switched us to a 3-4. And I think we need to go back to it. It's not too late to make the switch now. What could it hurt?

I'll post more on the defense I saw yesterday on the VIP board.

Rick

I agree that we should try the 3/4 again. We need more speed and an additional LB might help us minimize the big plays. Our defense is broke, and it's time to try and fix it.

When Stoops' whole coaching staff has no problem laughing publicly about our defensive schemes, and calling them "vanilla" and "high school", I think that is a ringing endorsement for the thought that Mendoza is the biggest problem. Not the only one, but the biggest.

You heard the players and coaches from Ark. laughing and smiling and eluding to the same things. Mendoza's defense is not good, and I pray to god he figures it out quickly.

Edited by MeanMag

What Mendoza doesn't seem to realize is that to compete in college as opposed to high school, !. You have to DISGUISE schemes; 2. Make rapid and continual adjustments; 3 BLITZ some ( I know TD doesn't like it) but, I don't know of a successful 1A defense that doesn't blitz at least some; and 4. Adjust the overall defensive plan to the talent available.

Mendoza's defense isn't the only side of things that needs some help, but you must be right about the disguising schemes and blitzing. Arkansas defended us yesterday with 4 down linemen......................................and ONE linebacker and a safety behind the LB. On EVERY play, the linebacker would sneak up on the LOS to show blitz, and the safety would sneak up as well. If the LB came, the safety filled in as the LB. If the safety came, the LB stayed back to play the run. They did this on every down an got easy pressure while playing man up cover 1 on the WR defending our O us WITH EASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rick

Mendoza's defense isn't the only side of things that needs some help, but you must be right about the disguising schemes and blitzing. Arkansas defended us yesterday with 4 down linemen......................................and ONE linebacker and a safety behind the LB. On EVERY play, the linebacker would sneak up on the LOS to show blitz, and the safety would sneak up as well. If the LB came, the safety filled in as the LB. If the safety came, the LB stayed back to play the run. They did this on every down an got easy pressure while playing man up cover 1 on the WR defending our O us WITH EASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rick

Howie did this last week as well. Did he get this from other teams or did FAU expose our lack of "in-game" adjustments? I don't remember OU or SMU doing this.

When Stoops' whole coaching staff has no problem laughing publicly about our defensive schemes, and calling them "vanilla" and "high school", I think that is a ringing endorsement for the thought that Mendoza is the biggest problem. Not the only one, but the biggest.

You heard the players and coaches from Ark. laughing and smiling and eluding to the same things. Mendoza's defense is not good, and I pray to god he figures it out quickly.

Good point, and I'm glad you brought up OU. Let me be clear on this: After seeing it with my own eyes yesterday, Arkansas isn't even in the same universe, size and speed wise, with Oklahoma.

Rick

I think he should be teaching 9th grade World Geography this year instead of running a Def.

79, 45, 30, 66...this defense would be great at Kino!

My season tickets have me sitting in front of 3 SLC fans. During the FAU game, I asked a question about the defensive scheme and all three agreed that this was the same scheme used at SLC. It is a simple Thirds Zone or man-on-man most of the time and just got us killed by the FAU on down and out patterns. It needs an upgrade.