The Defense

akriesman

My season tickets have me sitting in front of 3 SLC fans. During the FAU game, I asked a question about the defensive scheme and all three agreed that this was the same scheme used at SLC. It is a simple Thirds Zone or man-on-man most of the time and just got us killed by the FAU on down and out patterns. It needs an upgrade.

I don't care what scheme it is, where it started, or who uses it, it doesn't work here, and either someone needs to be moved, or changes need to be made, because it STINKS. Giving up 500+ yards in ONE half of football is unacceptable. Has anyone hear Dodge mention the defense and changes that need to be made during these coach's shows?

I don't care what scheme it is, where it started, or who uses it, it doesn't work here, and either someone needs to be moved, or changes need to be made, because it STINKS. Giving up 500+ yards in ONE half of football is unacceptable. Has anyone hear Dodge mention the defense and changes that need to be made during these coach's shows?

It's become the crazy Uncle no one wants to talk about. You only get to see him at family reunions or funerals.

:wacko::lol:

Edited by Got5onIt

Absolutely, the defense returned 8 starters. It was better (though not good) last year by far. Most of the players had experience in the 4-3 (from 2005) and it was not that radical of a shift.

What Mendoza doesn't seem to realize is that to compete in college as opposed to high school, !. You have to DISGUISE schemes; 2. Make rapid and continual adjustments; 3 BLITZ some ( I know TD doesn't like it) but, I don't know of a successful 1A defense that doesn't blitz at least some; and 4. Adjust the overall defensive plan to the talent available.

I HOPE THAT SOMEONE ON THE COACHING STAFF WILL TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR FIXING THIS SOON OR IT IS GOING TO BE A VERY LONG SEASON AND PROSPECTS WON'T BE MUCH BRIGHTER NEXT YEAR WITHOUT SOME NEW THINKING ON DEFENSE.

Is it the players or the scheme? I would guess it's the scheme. Question is, if Mendoza can't get it done would TD let his friend go at the end of the season and get someone in here who can get it done? Coaches are not immune to the aspect of competition, if someone (defensive coach) is better than RM and is avialable for hire, then Mendoza should be replaced, or reassigned on the current coaching staff, at the end of the season. Without defense, we won't win many games.

Everyone should just give the entire coaching staff a free pass this year including the Defense, I read that a few of our starters from last years defense showed up to fall practice out of shape. Next year if we don't see improvement then everyone can start busting Mendoza's chops.

If they showed up out of shape, the strength and conditioning coach should be fired. Or, is he yet another coach who gets a free pass?

I watched part of the USC/Washington game Saturday evening, and the announcers kept mentioning how well USC disguised their blitz packages and coverage schemes. Mendoza needs to step up in a big way. If OU laughed at our system, then Mendoza and the defensive staff should have taken that to heart, but from what I can tell no adjustments were made until the FAU game and that is not acceptable. D1 players are smarter, faster and have been exposed to more schemes than HS players. That is why there is a learning curve for incoming freshmen and rookies in the NFL. Coaching football is coaching football regardless of the level, but it becomes more creative and more complex as you move from one level to another.

I don't know Mendoza and wish him the best, but it is time for him to step up. We have too many returning starters to be playing this poorly on the defensive side of the ball.