Ou Comments On North Texas Game

UNT Mean Green

“They are a wide open, spread team. You get all of the zone and zone-read stuff. They have the quarterback run plays. I think as much as anything they are a team with a good running back that will spread you out and try to run it. Like all spread teams, they are going to spread you out and try to get their throws in. We are used to seeing this style of play. Everyone has their wrinkles and I am not going to say everyone is the same, but we are used to seeing them.”

I doubt it, but this kind of implies that he sees our offense and thinks TTech.

Quick question: what's the difference between a zone and zone-read?

I was thinking he meant Texas, K-State and Aggie....

If my thinking is correct the zone is a straight hand-off that is blocked by the offensive line in what is known as zone blocking - meanging if it is ZONE RIGHT then all the offensive linemen fire off and start heading right and pick up the first man they come into contact with

The zone read is when the quaterback takes the snap and reads an unblocked man in the zone sceme, like the backside end or maybe a DT and then either hands the ball off to the RB or keeps it himself and runs or passes with it

While Dodge's offense historically hasn't been as pass heavy as TTech, OU has been pretty successful against this scheme.

While Dodge's offense historically hasn't been as pass heavy as TTech, OU has been pretty successful against this scheme.

Remember Leach was the OC at Oklahoma before becoming Tech's drinking coach, I mean football coach. :lol:

In Dodge's coaches show he reminded Dunham that at SLC he ran the ball 51% of the time. A slight advantage over the pass. Leach clearly passes more than running.

GO MEAN GREEN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BEAT THE HELL OUT OF OU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was thinking he meant Texas, K-State and Aggie....

I think it's more likely he's referring to Missouri. They use the Dodge ball offense and have a QB from Southlake to run it.

I wonder how much meeting time former SLC QB and current OU transfer Chase Wasson has been getting with the coaching staff?

"They have the quarterback run plays."

I guess he REALLY hasn't noticed that the plays actually come from the sidelines. I'm sure the QB can check a play based on coverages but I don't think we will see too much of that.

"They have the quarterback run plays."

I guess he REALLY hasn't noticed that the plays actually come from the sidelines.

I had to read it again with a hyphen, "quarterback-run plays," and it made a little more sense. I think "They have plays with the quarterback running" would be the best.

I think it's more likely he's referring to Missouri. They use the Dodge ball offense and have a QB from Southlake to run it.

I wonder how much meeting time former SLC QB and current OU transfer Chase Wasson has been getting with the coaching staff?

Texas hasn't played Chase and won't until next year.

Baylor also went to a spread offense last year. There are tons of spread offenses around the country. Stoops sees Tech's version every year, and last year saw Baylor's and Missouri's in addition. He also was defensive coordinator at Florida when Leach was offensive coordinator at Kentucky. And, as the Florida D-coordinator, his defense lined up against Steve Spurrier's Fun and Gun everyday in practice. '

So, to say Stoops has seen a ton of different spread offenses over the past decade would be a vast understatement.

That's the rub - the more common an offense becomes, the more opposing defensive coaches get accustomed to defending it. The I had it's day. The wishbone. The spread has been in college for the better part of three decades now, beginning out West and eventually going coast to coast. But, really, only Spurrier at Florida has won it all (1996) using a spread offense - and that was with Stoops as his defensive coordinator. People are getting used to defending it, so it's not as novel as some like to believe.

Saturday will be a long day. As I posted over the summer, special teams will have to make plays for us to stay in the game and keep them from having continuous momentum. OU's game plan will be decidedly vanilla due to their game the following week against Miami. This work in our favor only if we can do something on the lines. Their D-line is their big question mark; ours is our O-line. It'll be interesting to see who gets the better of it there.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

Baylor also went to a spread offense last year. There are tons of spread offenses around the country. Stoops sees Tech's version every year, and last year saw Baylor's and Missouri's in addition. He also was defensive coordinator at Florida when Leach was offensive coordinator at Kentucky. And, as the Florida D-coordinator, his defense lined up against Steve Spurrier's Fun and Gun everyday in practice. '

So, to say Stoops has seen a ton of different spread offenses over the past decade would be a vast understatement.

That's the rub - the more common an offense becomes, the more opposing defensive coaches get accustomed to defending it. The I had it's day. The wishbone. The spread has been in college for the better part of three decades now, beginning out West and eventually going coast to coast. But, really, only Spurrier at Florida has won it all (1996) using a spread offense - and that was with Stoops as his defensive coordinator. People are getting used to defending it, so it's not as novel as some like to believe.

Actually, OU ran a spread offense with Heupel at QB when they won the MNC in 2000 and many would say that Texas with Vince Young ran a spread version as well to the MNC. The system can work incredibly well if you have the athletes and the coaches to run it to perfection. The problem with Tech's version or Baylor's for that matter, is that their version of the spread runs into the brick walls that are UT,OU, Nebraska, etc., all of whom have terrific defensive talent to keep those quick passes from being completed or getting big gains after the catch. As for us, I will bet that our offense will look great against most of the Belt teams because the talent level on defense won't be nearly as high as our OOC teams, with the exception of Troy. And, if we are great at running the ball in the future, then I think you will see some great numbers get posted for seasons to come. One thing is for sure, the days of the QB throwing 10-15 passes in a game are in the rear-view mirror.