Traditions

Tho its a funny bit but didn't we steal that thing from Texas Tech when we last played them and beat them? If thats the case then I cant say its a traditional and old tradition....though I imagine I would have been laughing my arse off when they did that against Tech. Infact there was an article by one of the writers at the DRC and saying how we need to drop that tradition because it was strictly copied and what not.

oh great, here we go again.... :rolleyes:

But I agree with you- the fact that people even think it was copied by those dorks is reason enough for me to quit doing it. The last thing anyone wants to do is emulate a Tech fan in any way.

Tho its a funny bit but didn't we steal that thing from Texas Tech when we last played them and beat them? If thats the case then I cant say its a traditional and old tradition....though I imagine I would have been laughing my arse off when they did that against Tech. Infact there was an article by one of the writers at the DRC and saying how we need to drop that tradition because it was strictly copied and what not.

This is my favorite one to get started!

Let me ask what is a tradition?

Per Webster:

1 a : an inherited, established, or customary pattern of thought, action, or behavior (as a religious practice or a social custom) b : a belief or story or a body of beliefs or stories relating to the past that are commonly accepted as historical though not verifiable <the bulk of traditions attributed to the Prophet -- J. L. Esposito>

2 : the handing down of information, beliefs, and customs by word of mouth or by example from one generation to another without written instruction

3 : cultural continuity in social attitudes, customs, and institutions

4 : characteristic manner, method, or style <in the best liberal tradition>

I don't think unique or stolen changes the idea of tradition. I don't think we have at UNT a truly unique tradition that I am aware of.

We been throwing tortillas almost 20 years!

The article spoken of was complete crap by the way!

Edited by KingDL1

This is my favorite one to get started!

Let me ask what is a tradition?

Per Webster:

1 a : an inherited, established, or customary pattern of thought, action, or behavior (as a religious practice or a social custom) b : a belief or story or a body of beliefs or stories relating to the past that are commonly accepted as historical though not verifiable <the bulk of traditions attributed to the Prophet -- J. L. Esposito>

2 : the handing down of information, beliefs, and customs by word of mouth or by example from one generation to another without written instruction

3 : cultural continuity in social attitudes, customs, and institutions

4 : characteristic manner, method, or style <in the best liberal tradition>

I don't think unique or stolen changes the idea of tradition. I don't think we have at UNT a truly unique tradition that I am aware of.

We been throwing tortillas almost 20 years!

The article spoken of was complete crap by the way!

Here's the final score and shot of the game in question. It's this '88 Mean Green team which the throwing of torts at NT honors. If you were not there, or were not taught to participate in this "War Trophy" to remember and honor that amazing season during our 1-AA stint, especially if you are an outsider to NT, then you certainly can make this event any other thing than what it truly is........a North Texas Tradition.

hsentvstechfinalscore_250x187.jpg

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Here's the final score and shot of the game in question. It's this '88 Mean Green team which the throwing of torts at NT honors. If you were not there, or were not taught to participate in this "War Trophy" to remember and honor that amazing season during our 1-AA stint, especially if you are an outsider to NT, then you certainly can make this event any other thing than what it truly is........a North Texas Tradition.

hsentvstechfinalscore_250x187.jpg

Rick

I'm probably gonna hate myself for doing this, but...

So usurping someone else's tradition is a good thing to make your own tradition when you beat them? So basically every time someone beats Tech in their place, throwing tortillas could become their tradition- as long as they keep doing it for 17 years afterwards.

Just trying to "get it". And I don't think an elitist "you weren't there so you don't get it" applies here, only a tiny handful of people were there for that.

I guess my biggest thing is (regardless of the reasons for throwing tortillas), why keep pushing a "tradition" that everyone else in the state already views as someone else's, exclusively? Whether or not it is a good tradition for us, why keep doing it if that is the case? We won't ever win it in the eyes of college sports fans. You don't get to "take" someone else's tradition because you beat them.

As you stated yourself, we have plenty of other traditions that are exclusive to our fine university, why not promote those and let the tortillas just die?

By the way, CMJ and Deep mentioned two traditions that are also very unique to North Texas. The Victory Bell and the Model A. I have yet to see another Model A at another school but there may be one I don't know of. But the bell is extremely unique. Like Boomer, the Bell's setup was hand built by students and alumni and customized for The University of North Texas. The Bell weighs around 1200 to 1500 lbs and is mounted on a motorized vehicle. I have seen other schools with bells, for sure. But none had one nearly that size let alone be able to drive down the road. That would be the road to Victory I should say.

My point for this thread was for fun, but to also educate those new to our program as well. So many people out there among us think NT is just another commuter school, with little spirit, very little athletic success and few traditions. That simply is not the case, at all. And it's OUR fault that so many would think this because we as a university community have done a very poor job promoting, selling and teaching them about our school. While completing both of the last two phases of "Boomer" I had to trailer him to several places between Denton, Fort Worth and Weatherford and everywhere I went he drew interest from the public. Most were caught by surprised when they learned who he belonged to.

Rick

Rick, I think Georgia Tech has Ramblin' Wreck, which is an old auto, not sure what type .

I'm probably gonna hate myself for doing this, but...

So usurping someone else's tradition is a good thing to make your own tradition when you beat them? So basically every time someone beats Tech in their place, throwing tortillas could become their tradition- as long as they keep doing it for 17 years afterwards.

Just trying to "get it". And I don't think an elitist "you weren't there so you don't get it" applies here, only a tiny handful of people were there for that.

I guess my biggest thing is (regardless of the reasons for throwing tortillas), why keep pushing a "tradition" that everyone else in the state already views as someone else's, exclusively? Whether or not it is a good tradition for us, why keep doing it if that is the case? We won't ever win it in the eyes of college sports fans. You don't get to "take" someone else's tradition because you beat them.

As you stated yourself, we have plenty of other traditions that are exclusive to our fine university, why not promote those and let the tortillas just die?

Oh don't worry, it's already been taken care and is gone. RV asked us not to do it anymore due to complaints from the Track team, so it's gone. I'm just pointing out to some here who don't know why we threw them, why we did. You can't push a tradition on anyone who doesn't want to participate in it, which many, if not most did. And some didn't. As Emmitt has said before, folks won't take ownership of a Tradition until they see it themselves...Boomer the Cannon, Bonfire, Lighting of the Tower after a victory....etc, of course we didn't invent either of those traditions either but still do them and do them in our own way. The throwing of the torts when the Mean Green scored did get people involved in the game while in the stands when little else would and the team would see people up in the stands going nuts and react also. Maybe now that we stand a chance to score more than we have been used to this won't be a need for our bright future?

With that said, I spoke with Dr. Battialle at the game about getting people in the stands more involved last week, that other than the "North Texas, North Texas" chant that we don't have a unified chant that has a beginning and an end. We have been to enough large venues now these past 7 years and seen how that unifies other fanbases and I think it's about time we do that ourselves, and she agreed. I believe that if we choreographed a chant with the cheerleaders, and more importantly the band, like Memphis did all game long last week in New Orleans, that we could overcome a lot of the sitting on the hands at times when instead we need to let the team know, "Hey, we got your back!".

Just some thoughts.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Rick, I think Georgia Tech has Ramblin' Wreck, which is an old auto, not sure what type .

I've never seen an image of one for GT so I wouldn't know. Of course, no one outside of Fouts has rarely ever seen an image of our Mean Green Model A either. And why is that? Well for one, we are not allowed to drive it around the track anymore and that's been that way for many years now. In the 80's we did however and we flew the big NT Battle Flag on it while we did. At that time during many of our game replays shown on local nightly news casts they would use a shot of it flyin down one of the straightaway's with that flag and it looked simply fantastic. Now whenever a news cast is in Denton to cover a game the Model A just sits. In the very least it's in the endzone now rather than over behind the southwest end of the stadium. But we are missing an opportunity to sell fun to the television viewer. And it's such a teeny tiny little thing to correct. The same was true with the Bell being placed behind the same part of the stands until this past year. Not sure it was ever used on TV but it certainly has a better chance of that happening now that RV got it placed behind the endzone.

This is all part of the point I'm trying to make, and I know I'm preaching to the choir with the GMG.com Nation, but we just don't sell and promote our Traditions, and for the most part, the fun that exists at North Texas. I'm currently working on some things in trying to correct this and am scheduled to attend a meeting with the Traditions Committee in April. I've pitched a few ideas and got a response and an invite to attend so I hope I'm able to help in some way. I wished myself and several of the Tradition-practicing NT alumni who has gone home and come back to participate and are active on campus were allowed to be more involved with the AD departments promotions group because I think collectively we have some ideas that would work help getting the word out. I do realize that nothing works better than winning does. But there are some tiny things we could do better that woud make a difference. Or so I believe it can.

Rick

Oh don't worry, it's already been taken care and is gone. RV asked us not to do it anymore due to complaints from the Track team, so it's gone. I'm just pointing out to some here who don't know why we threw them, why we did. You can't push a tradition on anyone who doesn't want to participate in it, which many, if not most did. And some didn't. As Emmitt has said before, folks won't take ownership of a Tradition until they see it themselves...Boomer the Cannon, Bonfire, Lighting of the Tower after a victory....etc, of course we didn't invent either of those traditions either but still do them and do them in our own way. The throwing of the torts when the Mean Green scored did get people involved in the game while in the stands when little else would and the team would see people up in the stands going nuts and react also. Maybe now that we stand a chance to score more than we have been used to this won't be a need for our bright future?

I am personally glad Rick killed it (which should come as no surprise :D ) because I think it looks stupid to the rest of college football. I know it's fun and I had fun doing it! But I think we have to think of something else. Yes, a lot of schools (probably MOST) light towers, several have cannons, etc.. those are traditions that aren't "exclusive" to any one university, whereas tortilla thing is so "off the wall" it looks like a rip off if anyone else does it. Especially when the other school is in the same state. Just my opinion. Im not one to rid us of "tradition" I just think that THAT "tradition" needs to be saved for when we play Tech, as a sort of "right back at you" gesture.

With that said, I spoke with Dr. Battialle at the game about getting people in the stands more involved last week, that other than the "North Texas, North Texas" chant that we don't have a unified chant that has a beginning and an end. We have been to enough large venues now these past 7 years and seen how that unifies other fanbases and I think it's about time we do that ourselves, and she agreed. I believe that if we choreographed a chant with the cheerleaders, and more importantly the band, like Memphis did all game long last week in New Orleans, that we could overcome a lot of the sitting on the hands at times when instead we need to let the team know, "Hey, we got your back!".

I agree 100%. While at the tournament game a guy came up to us wearing a North Texas shirt and asked, "hey you guys Mean Green fans?". After we told him we were, he informed us that he was a Badgers fan but had bought the shirt (the new color green t-shirt with white letters (black outline) "North Texas") because he liked it and was pulling for us to win. He asked "what are some chants you guys do so I can participate" and I froze. "Uh, well, we sometimes chant North, and then another part of the crowd chants Texas... and then we stand and clap while the fight song is played and kind of sing.... and um... well...".

So I am glad to hear you discussed this with her. BTW way, she is awesome. Just had to get that in there... :lol:

Edited by Eagle1855

I was at the NT-Tech game in question. I was pelted with tortillas during the game. I did save them, and I did throw them back at the Tech fans when we won. I know of no other school, other than NT and Texas Tech, where tortillas are thrown instead of sold.

Join the Mean Green Club

Buy Season Tickets

GO MEAN GREEN

I like what the athletic department did this past season when they had a pep in the park across Clark Hall. Lots of food, music and I saw tons of students there. It would be cool to see that turn into a tradition, where everyone gathers the night before to root for our team.

I also like getting free beer from beerman while tailgating. I know this doesn't really count as a tradition, but more importantly it involves free beer.

Man I love boomer. What makes me crazy though, hes unpredictable. Sometimes I guess the packing in the barrel doesnt get tamped enough and instead of an tradtional BLAMO, it's more like a huge fart 'ffff-FFFFPPUH! This always leads to me leaving my guard down and not paying attention the next time, and I'll have my back turned and KA-BLAM and I crap my pants its so friggin loud. Good Times...

Favorites:

1) Boomer cannon - simply greatness

2) And that's good for another Mean Green FIRST DOWN!!!

3) NORTH --- TEXAS!!!

4) "Fly Like an Eagle" by the Green Brigade

5) Dominating the Belt!

Least Favorites:

1) Polka-style fight song toward the end of the game (BTW - I love most everything else about the Green Brigade)

2) Students tailgating and not coming into the stadium

3) Running a QB draw on 3rd and 25 (I think this one has been officially abolished)

4) Changing uniforms/logos every 4 years

Fly like an Eagle during the game always pumps me up.

"You will never walk alone" at the close of the game - can't leave the stadium until it's over. Just a reminder of how da*mn good our band is - one of the best in the land!

the road trip and tailgate before away games.

I went to quite a few UNLV games at the end of the year and coming out of timeouts the band cadences the fans into the "Reb-els," "Reb-els" chant. Fans throw in a tomahawk swipe in unison and with 17,000 doing it at the same time it sounds awesome and it's simple! You could hear it at the tournament when UNLV was about to go on runs.

"Eag-les," "Eag-les", "Eag-les"!

GMG

Boomer is obviously my favorite. There is nothing like driving down the road with Boomer in tow and then unloading it and firing. It's an experience few get to have. I also love game days, waking up early and getting to Fouts well before any tailgaters to work on the Model A and the Tug. Driving those cars just make you feel good and proud to be Mean Green

I am part of the Traditions Committee. It was decided this semester to determine our true traditions and make sure to spread the word and to maintain them for future generations. We will be meeting with many people such as FFR to get more feedback and ideas in April. I'll be sure to give an update later on and ask for more suggestions.