Nt Daily Article -- Students Should Support Nt's Sports Teams

Students should support NT's sports teams

ed Board

Issue date: 3/8/07 Section: OPINION

We here at the Daily congratulate the NT men's basketball team in its win last night. The game was harrowing, and its victory was glorious.

The only question is where was the rest of the NT population?

NT is notorious for having low turnout at sporting events, even when we're winning. It's almost impossible to take a sports photo at an on-campus sporting event without including scads of empty seats.

It's not due to lack of promotion. NT spends thousands, if not millions promoting the university sports teams. Yet it seems its efforts are all for nought as people seem to ignore, if not outright forget the fact that we have college sports teams too.

It is understandable that many of us simply don't have the time to attend the various games. As is brought up many times in the Views section to address several campus issues, most of us have things that lead us off-campus most of the time, such as jobs or families. However, there are plenty of students who live in the dorms who could be supporting the teams that aren't.

Most frustrating has to be the people who couldn't be bothered to even read a news story about NT sports, but are engrossed in the sports programs of other schools. You're really excited about UT's football team this year? Great, you don't go to UT.

It's not like this is high school, where you don't have a choice of what school you go to. You chose to come to NT, you choose to continue spending money going to school here. You made your choice and you should be proud of it.

So give a cheer, tune in or come out to the games and support the team. Remember, the team is doing more than representing NT. The team is representing you.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not to be negative but if UNT is spending millions on marketing sports then they are not getting their money's worth. The best promotion I saw was usually in the dorms with the local RHA groups.

In my opinion, the best thing you can do regarding marketing is not putting up signs, or flooding email boxes- it is to win. I think Travis posted earlier the buzz on campus was overwhelming. Well, there you go. That does more for us than any amount of "marketing" ever could.

In my opinion, the best thing you can do regarding marketing is not putting up signs, or flooding email boxes- it is to win. I think Travis posted earlier the buzz on campus was overwhelming. Well, there you go. That does more for us than any amount of "marketing" ever could.

More posters!!!!

*Turns over, waves goodbye, shoots self in head

not to be negative but if UNT is spending millions on marketing sports then they are not getting their money's worth. The best promotion I saw was usually in the dorms with the local RHA groups.

I was thinking the same thing. Millions?

Best qoute of the article:

However, there are plenty of students who live in the dorms who could be supporting the teams that aren't.

As I have asked for...I don't even remember how many years now, where are the dorm students?

Rick

As I have asked for...I don't even remember how many years now, where are the dorm students?

Rick

Wait, if the dorm promotions were the best someone ever saw...but dorm students never go to the games...what did I miss?

---Makes you wonder if rants by several of us criticizing the student's support worked its way into the heads of the writers of the NT Daily. After all most us are alums and are ticked and disgusted with the level of student support. You never know. They need to keep this up in the fall when football starts.... "Have pride in your university and show up at some sporting events..... it will get us more respect from the other universties in the state".... that very issue was posted a couple of times on the Aggie site that someone linked us to yesterday. .

---We can't do much but you never know where what we say could go.

---Makes you wonder if rants by several of us criticizing the student's support worked its way into the heads of the writers of the NT Daily. After all most us are alums and are ticked and disgusted with the level of student support. You never know. They need to keep this up in the fall when football starts.... "Have pride in your university and show up at some sporting events..... it will get us more respect from the other universties in the state".... that very issue was posted a couple of times on the Aggie site that someone linked us to yesterday. .

---We can't do much but you never know where what we say could go.

Glad to see someone listening to that fairly even thread instead of getting indignant because most people in Texas have subconscious allegiances to the bigger schools anyway and the same 10 always bash A&M and UT every time they come up.

I am actually commenting on the original post...not the above comment.

Can I throw a little psychology in the mix? This kind of rant does nothing for attendance. Coming down on people for noone being interested in the games is COUNTER PRODUCTIVE. I ask you a simple question. When you were younger and invited to a party, would you go if you KNEW that noone was going to be there? No. You went if you thought it was a great party with a lot of people...in other words, if it were the happening place to be...outdated language, I know. It's no different than attendance at the games. If people perceive that noone is interested, then no one will go to the games. If they PERCEIVE that everyone is going and that IT IS THE PLACE to be, then more people will go. It's the same reason that UT and OU have the following they do...because people have a herd mentality. They don't want to be where the herd is not. Get it?

The way to increase attendance is to approach people in a positive way and portray it as the place to be. Negativity NEVER encourages attendance or interest...it does the opposite.

I am actually commenting on the original post...not the above comment.

Can I throw a little psychology in the mix? This kind of rant does nothing for attendance. Coming down on people for noone being interested in the games is COUNTER PRODUCTIVE. I ask you a simple question. When you were younger and invited to a party, would you go if you KNEW that noone was going to be there? No. You went if you thought it was a great party with a lot of people...in other words, if it were the happening place to be...outdated language, I know. It's no different than attendance at the games. If people perceive that noone is interested, then no one will go to the games. If they PERCEIVE that everyone is going and that IT IS THE PLACE to be, then more people will go. It's the same reason that UT and OU have the following they do...because people have a herd mentality. They don't want to be where the herd is not. Get it?

The way to increase attendance is to approach people in a positive way and portray it as the place to be. Negativity NEVER encourages attendance or interest...it does the opposite.

Correct. The Daily's frustration is understandable and their heart's in the right place. But you can't berate people into buying your product. You can only win them over.

Our new director of enthusiasm operations will know that.

So let me get this straight...

NT Basketball is going to the dance, season ticket sales are at an all time high, and The Daily is calling out the people who don't support NT Athletics....

*looks up to the sky*...Ahh, there's that asteroid. This should all be over any minute now...great to know you all.

The article would have more punch if I could be assured that the Daily staff went to the games. Did the writer even go to the games? Doubtful. As to the millions on promotion, until the athletic department figures out that they are dealing with human beings and treat them as such all the promotions ( I really think they meant advertising) will not help. The athletic staff roams around the basketball games with a scowl on their faces like they don't even want to be there or too important to be there and the athletic director sits down on the floor and visits with about 15 people....he never comes into the stands to thank the people for being at the game. Until this is a people friendly athletic department the only thing that will get the people out is to have a really outstanding product. Even then, the majority of the people won't embrace the success until they feel like they are wanted and are a part of the athletic family.

The article would have more punch if I could be assured that the Daily staff went to the games. Did the writer even go to the games? Doubtful. As to the millions on promotion, until the athletic department figures out that they are dealing with human beings and treat them as such all the promotions ( I really think they meant advertising) will not help. The athletic staff roams around the basketball games with a scowl on their faces like they don't even want to be there or too important to be there and the athletic director sits down on the floor and visits with about 15 people....he never comes into the stands to thank the people for being at the game. Until this is a people friendly athletic department the only thing that will get the people out is to have a really outstanding product. Even then, the majority of the people won't embrace the success until they feel like they are wanted and are a part of the athletic family.

Unfair on a couple of counts. I think the Daily covers the games as best they can. The "millions" is a misstatement, but they're students -- they're learning.

Characterizing the whole athletic staff as having a single personality doesn't seem right. And I've run into RV at games many times and have had great conversations. Ask a fan at the average Big 12 game how much contact he's had with the AD.

Remember that time we went to the Mavs game in the early 90s and they lost by 47 to the Bulls? Anywho, in the third quarter (Mavs employee) Keith Grant comes up to me and just gives me a hug for what felt like hours, and I was like "cool, thanks man." He just smiled and said "We'll get through this little buddy." We laughed for a few hours about the funny moments sports gives us all, waited for the players to stop talking to the fans and get in the showers (I mean come on guys, there's only so much we expect!), and then decided to grab a beer at the MAT with Toni Braxton and Jason Kidd. Jim Jackson was pissed because we totally put cayanne pepper in his shampoo- ROFLMAO! Finally at three in the morning Popeye Jones drove us each home and said he hoped to see us at the next home game. He even gave me his jersey - and a chunk of his right ear because they were magic, regenerating ears.

That night made me love the Dallas Mavericks forever, win or lose.

You really expect a personal visit and a handshake from RV? Seriously? I am about to laugh myself out of my chair. "Being a part of the athletic family!"...you want to be invited to RV's house for a B'BQUE? Give me a break. The athletic staff roaming around with a "scowl" is what it looks like when you are working behind the scenes. They have jobs to do, not entertain company. The product on the field/court is what you are there for...and to be a fan. I can't ever recall even thinking about what the athletic staff were doing when I am at the games...even RV himself. If RV personally greets ANYONE (other than big donors), it is to his credit.

I agree the athletics department needs to open up.... you know what would be cool, if TD or someone painted their body like Bruce Pearl did at Tennessee... that was something else.

Give it time, hopefully we'll have a Midnight Madness next year, 5-6,000 at our first game, another berth in the Tourney, etc.

With regards to the Daily, most of the sports guys attend the games. Theyre big fans.

By the way, what can the alumni do to help out the Pit Crew next year? I was one of Trey's little helpers this year, and we want to see it grow.

Unfair on a couple of counts. I think the Daily covers the games as best they can. The "millions" is a misstatement, but they're students -- they're learning.

Characterizing the whole athletic staff as having a single personality doesn't seem right. And I've run into RV at games many times and have had great conversations. Ask a fan at the average Big 12 game how much contact he's had with the AD.

You really expect a personal visit and a handshake from RV? Seriously? I am about to laugh myself out of my chair. "Being a part of the athletic family!"...you want to be invited to RV's house for a B'BQUE? Give me a break. The athletic staff roaming around with a "scowl" is what it looks like when you are working behind the scenes. They have jobs to do, not entertain company. The product on the field/court is what you are there for...and to be a fan. I can't ever recall even thinking about what the athletic staff were doing when I am at the games...even RV himself. If RV personally greets ANYONE (other than big donors), it is to his credit.

There's a happy medium to be found here, but I'm content with just making fun of the situation until work ends.