update on coach search

cjones

North Texas: Jay Norvell interviewed well and has moved up on the candidate list.  Todd Dodge is a name we are still hearing though!

FROM YAHOO SPORTS:

Candidate Profile: Jay Norvell

By Travyn Schoening, ASUDevils.com Staff Writer – Rivals.com

The Norvell File

Name: Jay Norvell

Current Job: University of Nebraska Offensive Coordinator/QB Coach

College: University of Iowa (1986)

Playing Experience: Norvell played defensive back at the University of Iowa from 1982-1985 and was selected to the All Big-Ten team his Senior season. Norvell also played one season in the NFL with the Chicago Bears in 1987.

Coaching Experience:

1988: Receivers, Northern Iowa

1989-1984: Receivers/Special Teams, University of Wisconsin

1995-1997: Assistant Head Coach/Quarterbacks/Receivers, Iowa State University

1998-2001: Receivers, Indianapolis Colts

2002-2003: Tight Ends, Oakland Raiders

2004-Present: Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks, University of Nebraska

The Skinny:

Norvell has played an instrumental role in Nebraska's transition from the option attack to the professional west coast offense in just 2-plus seasons.

Nebraska Quarterback Zac Taylor won Big XII Offensive Player of the Year honors after just two seasons of coaching from Norvell. Nebraska Head Coach Bill Callahan has publicly praised Norvell's efforts on a consistent basis and said that the West Coast Offense has never progressed as quickly as it has under the tutelage of Norvell.

Last season, as a junior, Zac Taylor benefited directly from Norvell's knowledge of the West Coast Offense and broke Nebraska single-game records for passing yards, completions, attempts, and total offense. This season Taylor became Nebraska's all-time passing and touchdown leader in just his 2nd season in the program.

Norvell has worked extensively with the offensive side of the ball during his entire coaching career, and he has coached at the highest level. He helped coach the 2002 Oakland Raiders to the Super Bowl, while leading the NFL in total offense.

Norvell is also the head coordinator of the Huskers' Annual Elite Quarterback Camp, which is quickly getting talent from across the nation. He was selected to the 2006 Expert Coaches Academy, which addresses the shortage of minorities in the coaching profession.

In addition to his coaching duties at Nebraska, Norvell also actively recruits the Louisiana, Central Texas, Houston, and Dallas Regions very well.

Norvell just recently applied for the Iowa State Head Coaching vacancy left by Dan McCarney before Texas' Gene Chizik accepted the position.

Pros: Norvell has extensive offensive coaching experience in both the Collegiate and NFL levels. He has coached Marvin Harrison and the Indianapolis Colts, and also led the turnaround of the Nebraska passing offense. Recruits often like coaches with NFL experience, and Norvell has an AFC Championship ring. Norvell also has a lot of ties in the Texas recruiting circuit.

Cons: Norvell has never been a Head Coach at any level, so managing a BCS program could be a concern. Norvell would not be the "media-pick" or necessarily create the buzz that Lisa Love has been looking for since beginning her search.

Odds: Slim, Norvell doesn't have a direct connection to Love and has not recruited the West Coast during his tenure at Nebraska. He is not a fancy hire that would woo the general public, and may not provide the spark that the 'Devils are looking for

Anyone who played a significant role in turning around Nebraska's offense is someone of interest. Two things caught my attention in this bio:

Coaching Experience:

1988: Receivers, Northern Iowa

1989-1984: Receivers/Special Teams, University of Wisconsin

1995-1997: Assistant Head Coach/Quarterbacks/Receivers, Iowa State University

1998-2001: Receivers, Indianapolis Colts

2002-2003: Tight Ends, Oakland Raiders

2004-Present: Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks, University of Nebraska

Excellent resume. I'm not concerned that he has no head-coaching experience. With twenty years experience, he should be well versed in what it takes to be a head coach. He's been at small schools, big schools, and the NFL. And you better believe some recruits will be impressed with where he's played and coached.

In addition to his coaching duties at Nebraska, Norvell also actively recruits the Louisiana, Central Texas, Houston, and Dallas Regions very well...Norvell also has a lot of ties in the Texas recruiting circuit.

There's the Texas ties that everyone wants. I'd much rather have a coach who has recruited in Texas than someone from Texas but with little recruiting experience.

Extremely impressive.

Let me jump on board here and say I also found him very impressive. This guy will win wherever he ends up. Outstanding recruiter. Here the other key thing that I saw in his bio, he played for Hayden Fry at Iowa. I am sorry but anyone that is tied to Fry either as a player or a coach gets major bonus points at North Texas.

Regarding Todd Dodge...While waiting in line to get into the SLC-Collyville Heritage game I starting talking with some SLC fans. They saw my UNT gear and asked me about North Texas. (Size, coaches pay, was it really a commuter school?)

I was asked if I would like to see Dodge come to UNT and did I think it would be a coaching and recruiting fit. I was about to answer when someone said, "This man is Todd Dodge's father, ask him."

Mr. Dodge said, "Well, I would like for him to finish one more year with Riley but that is his decision to make." He also left me with the impression that Todd Dodge is being very heavily courted by UNT.

While the father never said yes, he did leave me with a very strong feeling that if Todd Dodge is offered, he has already decided to accept.

Once again, it was never said, but that was my impression.

Regarding Todd Dodge...While waiting in line to get into the SLC-Collyville Heritage game I starting talking with some SLC fans.  They saw my UNT gear and asked me about North Texas. (Size, coaches pay, was it really a commuter school?)

I was asked if I would like to see Dodge come to UNT and did I think it would be a coaching and recruiting fit.  I was about to answer when someone said, "This man is Todd Dodge's father, ask him."

Mr. Dodge said, "Well, I would like for him to finish one more year with Riley but that is his decision to make."  He also left me with the impression that Todd Dodge is being very heavily courted by UNT. 

While the father never said yes, he did leave me with a very strong feeling that if Todd Dodge is offered, he has already decided to accept.

I hope this is true.

Regarding Todd Dodge...While waiting in line to get into the SLC-Collyville Heritage game I starting talking with some SLC fans.  They saw my UNT gear and asked me about North Texas. (Size, coaches pay, was it really a commuter school?)

I was asked if I would like to see Dodge come to UNT and did I think it would be a coaching and recruiting fit.  I was about to answer when someone said, "This man is Todd Dodge's father, ask him."

Mr. Dodge said, "Well, I would like for him to finish one more year with Riley but that is his decision to make."  He also left me with the impression that Todd Dodge is being very heavily courted by UNT. 

I can't remember what men's basketball game I was listening to but I do remember them saying that UNT officials were at the SLC game to watch TD in action. I would say heavily courted is a good assessment.

Excellent resume. I'm not concerned that he has no head-coaching experience.

I am. He's been coaching for 20 years and none if it has been as a head coach? Why not? You can't wait for just the right situation. If you're head coach material, then you jump in and become a head coach "somewhere".

He should have been the head coach somewhere along the line, instead of being an assistant, or position coach.

The people that I'm impressed with are the ones who know how to lead (teams and fans) and are confident enough in their abilities to do so the first chance that they got....regardless of the size of the school.

Carthel, Dodge, and Harbaugh are my favorites.

I am. He's been coaching for 20 years and none if it has been as a head coach? Why not? You can't wait for just the right situation. If you're head coach material, then you jump in and become a head coach "somewhere".

He should have been the head coach somewhere along the line, instead of being an assistant, or position coach.

The people that I'm impressed with are the ones who know how to lead (teams and fans) and are confident enough in their abilities to do so the first chance that they got....regardless of the size of the school.

I am right there with you on those three. I think if we get one of the three, I would be extatic.

I think it would be much easier for TD to leave as coach of SLC this year if he wins State with son as QB.  Nothing left to accomplish next season except a repeat.

yeah, and win 7 or eight games. then riley and co. will see unt as a legitimate choice for their style of play. by the way that tre newton is awesome.

Excellent points. But I'd like to add that because he hasn't been a head coach yet doesn't prove that he's not capable either, or that he's been scared. I'm not favoring anyone here, just defending someone in a profession where I think his situation (being an assistant for a long time) is fairly commonplace; if anything, I wouldn't call it rare. Maybe he's been happy under the tutelage of someone else, i.e. Fry? Just playiing devil's advocate....

I would be excited to have any of those aboard. However, it'd be nice if I heard they contacted DeLoach. I read rumors about him a couple days ago. What's the latest scoop? ph34r.gif

-gm