First Opponent in our New Stadium will be:

Green Grenade II

Considering we'll have our new staium built in time for the first game of 2009, who will our opening opponent be? Here's my top ten list, in order of preference:

1) The Arkansas Razorbacks (SEC)

2) The Kansas State Wildcats (Big 12)

3) The Texas Tech Red Raiders (Big 12)

4) The Texas Aggies (Big 12)

5) Missisippi State (SEC))

6) Missouri Tigers (Big 12)

7) TCU (MWC)

8) Oklahoma State (Big 12)

9) Auburn Tigers (SEC)

and, drum roll please.....

10) Southern Cal (PAC-10)

So, what's your list? Southern Cal would bring their "Songleaders." Our Dance team is better, though. Did I actually say that? Plus the Trojan Band vs The Green Brigade? Interesting halftime show. We got to get this done!!!

Break ground or break wind!

GO! MEAN GREEN!!!! ONWARD AND WAY, WAY UPWARD!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would lean away from any Texas schools, because I'd want that first game to be all our crowd, all about UNT. TCU or SMU or Tech might bring a lot of fans (although the Mustangs didn't bring that many this year).

My suggestions:

Cincinnati - they were the opponent in our one bowl victory, and to me that's the high point of UNT football in the last two decades.

Iowa - a tribute to Hayden Fry. I remember way back in the day, NT had drawings of a full stadium and the scoreboard showed North Texas hosting Iowa. Coach Fry might be able to help make that happen.

I'd also consider Colorado State, Memphis, and Southern Miss, who we played in New Orleans. All of those are solid programs in good conferences and are frequent bowl participants. But they're not a powerhouse that is a guaranteed loss.

Edited by Smitty

I would lean away from any Texas schools, because I'd want that first game to be all our crowd, all about UNT. TCU or SMU or Tech might bring a lot of fans (although the Mustangs didn't bring that many this year).

My suggestions:

Cincinnati - they were the opponent in our one bowl victory, and to me that's the high point of UNT football in the last two decades.

Iowa - a tribute to Hayden Fry. I remember way back in the day, NT had drawings of a full stadium and the scoreboard showed North Texas hosting Iowa. Coach Fry might be able to help make that happen.

I'd also consider Colorado State, Memphis, and Southern Miss, who we played in New Orleans. All of those are solid programs in good conferences and are frequent bowl participants. But they're not a powerhouse that is a guaranteed loss.

Actually, that drawing of a full stadium was a scaled model of Fouts Field with the track removed and stands built down to the sidelines, with the field lowered 15 feet, plus both endzones built right on the field. Seating capacity 48,000. The stadium club at one endzone had a scoreboard over it showing us beating Ohio State (not Iowa) The model sat in Hayden's office. He raised a bunch of money using it as where we were going with our stadium. I have a photo of it (shot at channel 39) hanging on a wall in my office. I built this model in 1974!

Guest GrayEagleOne

With a stadium of only 32,000, we would be hard-pressed to get any of those on your list but especially not Southern Cal. Outside of the obligatory Pac-10 games they only travel to South Bend or bowl games.

I'd prefer a Texas team, preferably a member of CUSA. That would mean Houston, Rice or UTEP because if the SMU series continues, that will be our year to be in Dallas.

Others I would like to see are TCU, Tulane, Vanderbilt, Tulsa, or Baylor. Hopefully, by then we would stand a good chance of a win against one of them.

Realistically, it will likely be either Air Force or the designated MAC team. If it's the MAC team, I'd prefer Miami or Toledo.

Six months ago I'd have thought that a thread like this would be fantasy. Now, it's looking more and more like it may happen...and on (our) schedule.

Actually, that drawing of a full stadium was a scaled model of Fouts Field with the track removed and stands built down to the sidelines, with the field lowered 15 feet, plus both endzones built right on the field. Seating capacity 48,000. The stadium club at one endzone had a scoreboard over it showing us beating Ohio State (not Iowa) The model sat in Hayden's office. He raised a bunch of money using it as where we were going with our stadium. I have a photo of it (shot at channel 39) hanging on a wall in my office. I built this model in 1974!

It's been a long time, but I'm thinking of a drawing that was around post-Hayden and showed North Texas and Iowa on the scoreboard. But I may be confused. Frequently am.

That model sounds really cool. Do you know if it still exists?

With a stadium of only 32,000, we would be hard-pressed to get any of those on your list but especially not Southern Cal.  Outside of the obligatory Pac-10 games they only travel to South Bend or bowl games.

They went on the road to Arkansas this year, Auburn in '03, and I believe Kansas State in '02. I think they play Nebraska in Lincoln next season. Not that they're gonna make a return trip to Fresno State(to make up for FSU playing SC in the Colesium in '05) or anything, but SC has no fear of traveling to tough places.

How about an out of conference game against old rival Middle Tennessee State before we start our Conference USA schedule?

Wait...this may be a dumb question but can someone PM me and let me know if we are moving to CUSA like mentioned above??? I haven't heard anything of this.

It's been a long time, but I'm thinking of a drawing that was around post-Hayden and showed North Texas and Iowa on the scoreboard. But I may be confused. Frequently am.

That model sounds really cool. Do you know if it still exists?

Sadly, it does not. When I was living with a former girlfriend (Lovetta), she got really pissed at something I did, took the model (I had gotten it back when Hayden left for Iowa) out in the backard at the Village Apartments, and burned it to a crisp. I did retain the blown-up photo (shot at Channell 39) and that is what is framed and on my office wall. Anyone wanting to see it, drop by my office. Email me and I will give you my cell phone number.