DRC article on the game/jerseys

Cr1028

Dickey told his players earlier this season that they could wear black jerseys if they continued to work hard in what has been a tough season for UNT that has included several close losses and the added distraction of the Mean Green’s head coach suffering a heart attack on Oct. 12. Dickey fulfilled that promise when the Mean Green wore plain all-black jerseys and pants with no names.

user posted image

Guest GrayEagleOne

The picture says it all. Does Dickey look like the's having fun. The players look like they're having fun. NOT!!! He knows that it's an act of defiance that I consider tantamount to burning the flag.

The picture says it all.  Does Dickey look like the's having fun.  The players look like they're having fun.  NOT!!!  He knows that it's an act of defiance that I consider tantamount to burning the flag.

Dickey taunted the fans and mocked the University last night.

But ultimately he made a fool of himself not us. Thank God Dickey is no more.

I felt totally detached from my school last night and would have left the minute I saw the horrendous all black colors if it wasn't for my wife.

Our colors are GREEN and WHITE and no kid or coach has a right to change those colors for any reason.

If you want to wear different colors than pack your bags and go to another school! mad.gif

I am sending Dickey a letter today, and since I doubt that he will even open it, here is what it will say: Congratulations coach, you have proven that you can lose in green and white, you can lose in all green and you can lose in all black. Oh, and by the way, I knew Johnny Cash and you ain't Johnny Cash.

Surely someone else in admin had to sign off on this and I want to know who...?

The word floating around the game last night was this was all DD, his idea of a personal attack on RV and the fans. In the pregame warm ups he wore a green shirt and the team wore green Jerseys. In a sneaky and cowardly fashion changed right before the game so nothing could be done about it.

It is my interpretation that this is gross insubordination and should violate his contract, if so at least we won't have to pay him the remainder of his contract. Monday morning should be his last day at UNT.

Way to go DD I bet you are just impressing the hell out of any future employers, have them lining up do ya? Ever considered selling mattresses?

The word floating around the game last night was this was all DD, his idea of a personal attack on RV and the fans. In the pregame warm ups he wore a green shirt and the team wore green Jerseys. In a sneaky and cowardly fashion changed right before the game so nothing could be done about it.

It is my interpretation that this is gross insubordination and should violate his contract, if so at least we won't have to pay him the remainder of his contract. Monday morning should be his last day at UNT.

Way to go DD I bet you are just impressing the hell out of any future employers, have them lining up do ya? Ever considered selling mattresses?

Sneaky? Ummm. I don't really agree with the uniforms, but do you think Dicky had secretly ordered Black uniforms on his own dime, then hid them in his closet and then secretly brought them into the locker room???????

RV was aware of it, and I think we should move on.......

Edited by Evan

Sneaky? Ummm. I don't really agree with the uniforms, but do you think Dicky had secretly ordered Black uniforms on his own dime, then hid them in his closet and then secretly brought them into the locker room???????

RV was aware of it, and I think we should move on.......

I don't believe that. Why else would you come out for warmups in green and then come out for the game in black? And why else would you foot the bill for the jerseys out of your own pocket (which he did)? If RV was aware and knew it would make the kids happy don't you think he would have ordered some with "north texas" written SOMEWHERE on them or maybe green numbers to match the helmets. This was all DD.

My dad flew up to watch a game with me a few weeks ago, and purchased a Mean Green hat while I was sipping on free Bud Light. To my surprise, the hat was black and white. I commented that I hadn't seen that color scheme before. I rationalized that it was a very deep, dark green. My first thought when seeing the black jersey's last night was that we are in the mist of changing colors and uniforms because the jerseys last night looked identical to the hat my dad purchased. Probably just a coincidence and I seriously doubt we are changing colors, but I thought I'd post my observations.

My dad flew up to watch a game with me a few weeks ago, and purchased a Mean Green hat while I was sipping on free Bud Light.  To my surprise, the hat was black and white. I commented that I hadn't seen that color scheme before. I rationalized that it was a very deep, dark green. My first thought when seeing the black jersey's last night was that we are in the mist of changing colors and uniforms because the jerseys last night looked identical to the hat my dad purchased.  Probably just a coincidence and I seriously doubt we are changing colors, but I thought I'd post my observations.

Did your dad's hat say "North Texas" or "Mean Green" on it? And not that it had to unlike our uniforms, but better yet did it say "Sun Belt Conference", "NCAA" or "New Balance" or anything remotely close to the business entities that the University of North Texas is contractually obligated to during football season?

Rick

When I was asking in general if there was a reason for the all black, a young man that sits in front of us (sorry, don't know his name but Beck told me he (not Beck, the young man!) played 4 years for DD) said that the players wanted to do it for the Coach because the AD who fired him (RV) hates the all black jerseys. Just my 2 cents.

GMG!

Edited by NTEdgex2

When I was asking in general if there was a reason for the all black, a young man that sits in front of us (sorry, don't know his name but he played  4 years for DD) said that the players wanted to do it for the Coach because the AD who fired him (RV) hates the all black jerseys.  Just my 2 cents.

GMG!

So, are you saying that the players don't have any respect for RV?

There is a flip side to this. Just possibly the last minute jersey change was part of the pre-game pep talk and designed as a motivation tool. A plea to the team to leave it all on the field and take no prisoners.

Just a thought.

The truth is that Coach DICK told the boys that they were going to be wearing black to "piss off Villarreal." RV HATES black. What kind of a gutless human have we been allowing to coach our kids?? And THEN he tells Brett Vito, the press dwarf who is so far up Coach Dicks butt, that THE KIDS DECIDED!!! What a MORON! And the folks that are congratulatory about New Orleans, certainly didn't see our head coach pucking up his guts on the streets with our kids, DID THEY! Allowing the boys to stay out and party when the opposing teams were all put to bed by THEIR RESPONSIBLE coaches!

Well, THE ALMIGHTY works his wonders, and I ALWAYS say, there are NO coincedences...Black for mourning?? how about grieving?? the loss of intelligence. courage, ethics, and morals. The ONLY problem was when they were fired, they weren't told to LEAVE IMMEDIATELY! Let's see what DD & RF have up their sleeve for their final hurrah...Mr. Villarreal, you had better show up at LA next week. WE ARE COUNTING ON YOU to protect our kids! mad.gif

Did your dad's hat say "North Texas" or "Mean Green" on it?  And not that it had to unlike our uniforms, but better yet did it say "Sun Belt Conference", "NCAA" or  "New Balance" or anything remotely close to the business entities that the University of North Texas is contractually obligated to during football season?

Rick

I have the hat right in front me. It is made by A-Flex. On the front it says in big, bold white letters: Mean Green (with the trademark symbol). I wouldn't say it looks like last night's uniforms, I would say it is identical to them. It is all black with white Mean Green letters and white trim.

The truth is that Coach DICK told the boys that they were going to be wearing black to "piss off Villarreal."

If this turns out to be true -- I still have trouble believing it -- it's potential career suicide for Dickey. What kind of program would trust someone who pulled a stunt like that?

The truth is that Coach DICK told the boys that they were going to be wearing black to "piss off Villarreal." RV HATES black.

Thank you FY2K. Allow me restate this if I may? He hates an ALL black uni, not black trim and accents, and that is because he has an obligation to the university to PROMOTE our colors that we have required the manufacturers of our licensed products to uphold when producing them.

By coming out with BLANK, all black uni's that did not have our uni sponsor(New Balance), the NCAA or the Sun Belt Conference logos on them last night North Texas likely breached three or more agreements we are contractually obligated to.

DD should be suspended immediately as I imagine he will.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

By coming out with BLANK, all black uni's that did not have our uni sponsor(New Balance), the NCAA or the Sun Belt Conference logos on them last night North Texas likely breached three or more agreements we are contractually obligated to.

DD should be suspended immediately as I imagine he will.

I agree, uniforms have to be approved by conference and NCAA guidelines. These were YMCA throwaways. It was a definite slap to RV, the fans, and the University. mad.gif

In the past when the team wore black pants or black jerseys for senior day, dd wore green. This was nothign but a childish act by dickey. Those were nothing mroe than pracitce jerseys. Screen printed numbers with no schoo, and no logos. If we get fined by the NCAA or any of our sponsors pull money from the school, dd's contract should be negated immediately, and dd should pay us some of his contract back. And MM better open his checkbook.