Why all the bitterness

shaft

I've never really understood why people on this board are so bitter.

Dickey did a lot for the program; he brought in a back to basics style of play and managment that the team needed. He won four conference championship, broke the nations longest streak of bowl shuts.

I agree that he's not the right guy for the future, but I don't understand the tasteless remarks people on this board continue to make even after the guy has been let go.

Dickey did a lot for the program; he brought in a back to basics style of play and managment that the team needed.  He won four conference championship, broke the nations longest streak of bowl shuts. 

I agree that he's not the right guy for the future, but I don't understand the tasteless remarks people on this board continue to make even after the guy has been let go.

I agree. We have always complained that Dickey was sarcastic and caustic in his comments about/within the program. We shouldn't show ourselves to be no better.

Dickey did a lot for the program; he brought in a back to basics style of play and managment that the team needed.  He won four conference championship, broke the nations longest streak of bowl shuts. 

Because of his mouth, attitude, play calling, lack of adjustments in games, lack of discipline, and more. That " lot for the program" had more to do with an incredible Defense ranked in the top 10 (see coach Deloach) and a very crappy SBC. Other than homers it was painfully obvious at the last bowl vs Southern Miss that his system was completely ineffective without a top ranked Defense and we would never move forward. Dickey has the worst winning percentage by far of any coach in UNT history that had more than three years on the job and at that there are only three worse two only coached one season. In 9 years he only won seven games against D1a teams that finished with a winning record and two during his bowl years. His offense has always been on the bottom of D1a. Only 3 winning seasons in 9. He set record home loss in front of a record crowd last year against Tulsa, then he set another record loss against the Muts this year for worst shutout at home, worst conference loss and so on.

Screw Dickey

Edited by KingDL1

I'm not bitter at Dickey, nor have I ever been. Dickey is who he is. He just should have moved on somewhere around 2001. RV should have, (or should have been allowed to) pull the trigger back in 2001.

My bitterness is toward the University administrators and all of the dumb-ass hiring SNAFUS they've produced in the last 26 years.

When Hayden Fry left, he recommended that Bill Brasher be hired as his replacement. That would have provided us with an extremely competent coach and much needed stability.

Instead the administrators of that time (many of whom were Fry haters) said in a very dismissive tone "we'll take it under advisement". Brasher was insulted and joined Fry at Iowa. The rest is history......for Iowa anyway. Since then, it's just been one friggin disaster after another.

The only competent hire we've made since Fry left was Corky Nelson. And the University never game him the resources that he needed to take us back to D-1......which he could have done without any problems.

What happened last weekend is a prime example of why Dickey is leaving. We somehow find a way to lose our OOC games and never play to win. Winning the Belt was great the first half of this decade, but we never did anything that rocked the boat that is college D1A athletics.

maybe because as DD put it, we are "f*ckers"

I'd say the tasteless remarks are few and far between. You have to remember that there is some resentment between the fans and Dickey because of his constant bashing of us. Normally a coach trys to WIN the hearts of the fans, not bash them into submission. When a coach gets in a fight with a fan or calls them mother f*ckers or says he has the worst situation in the Sun Belt, etc. there is something wrong. How can you not expect some bitterness/resentment for a coach/staff that does things like that?

I'd say the tasteless remarks are few and far between. You have to remember that there is some resentment between the fans and Dickey because of his constant bashing of us. Normally a coach trys to WIN the hearts of the fans, not bash them into submission. When a coach gets in a fight with a fan or calls them mother f*ckers or says he has the worst situation in the Sun Belt, etc. there is something wrong. How can you not expect some bitterness/resentment for a coach/staff that does things like that?

Or when the coach gets fired because of his losing record, and he goes and tells his players he got fired because he can't recruit.

Because of his mouth, attitude, play calling, lack of adjustments in games, lack of discipline, and more. That " lot for the program" had more to do with an incredible Defense ranked in the top 10 (see coach Deloach) and a very crappy SBC. Other than homers it was painfully obvious at the last bowl vs Southern Miss that his system was completely ineffective without a top ranked Defense and we would never move forward. Dickey has the worst winning percentage by far of any coach in UNT history that had more than three years on the job and at that there are only three worse two only coached one season. In 9 years he only won seven games against D1a teams that finished with a winning record and two during his bowl years. His offense has always been on the bottom of D1a. Only 3 winning seasons in 9. He set record home loss in front of a record crowd last year against Tulsa, then he set another record loss against the Muts this year for worst shutout at home, worst conference loss and so on.

Screw Dickey

Thank you, and well said. Honestly everyone, let's just be real about this. The fact is, the SB was terrible at first and we took advantage of it. Many of those clubs have now caught up to us, can handle us, and our current coaching staff is highly ineffective at having answers. The bowl games should have been an early indicator of where we were heading once that happened.

We need new blood in here that will advance the program forward, not backward or (just as bad) remain stagnant.