UNT Finalist for President Named

untgirl04

I already don't like her and I only have one reason....she is the only candidate being considered and she was handpicked by Lee Jackson.  That says it all as far as I'm concerned.

If you read the article, that's not the case. She was chosen from 19 other candidates. However, you're right about Lee Jackson hand-picking this one. This concerns me as well.

Guest GrayEagleOne

I posted this in the UNT News section, but I figure more people will read it here.

Click here

Based on her background, I have a feeling the new president won't be quite as friendly with athletics. But I could be wrong.

I hope that you are wrong about athletics but I don't think so.

Forgive my stupidity, but just what is diversity? We all come from diverse backgrounds. It has nothing to do with ethnicity. We ALL come from different levels in both socio-economic status and morality. So did she specialize in championing the rich, the poor, the religious, the secular, the upper crust and the social outcasts? If that be the case, only private colleges are NOT diverse. So why should that even be a talking point?

If she is going to try to make North Texas another Cal-Berkeley, then this will be my last year of support. I've got a strong feeling that the faculty-senate, or its equivalent, will run the university. I see us as becoming the most liberal public university in the state. Athletics will likely be tolerated as long as it doesn't become a drain on the social programs.

I realize that UNT is first and foremost an institution of higher learning. I don't ever want to take from that. But, I also realize what the university has become academically under Dr. Pohl without deemphasizing athletics. I would like to see it continue as a mainstream university with excellence in academics, athletics, arts, and anything else associated with the college scene.

One parting shot. Don't blame everything on Lee Jackson. How about the Board of Regents? As best I recall, they hired Lee Jackson. They can also terminate him if he is not following their guidelines. It is they who will will hire the next UNT president, not Lee Jackson. So, if things don't work out, write both Lee Jackson AND the Board of Regents.

Please, Lord, let me be wrong about my feelings on this.

So did she specialize in championing the rich, the poor, the religious, the secular, the upper crust and the social outcasts?

Maybe we could tell her that in Texas we've been athletic social outcasts for decades.

So, if things don't work out, write both Lee Jackson AND the Board of Regents.

Totally agree. dry.gif

I hope that you are wrong about athletics but I don't think so.

Forgive my stupidity, but just what is diversity?  We all come from diverse backgrounds.  It has nothing to do with ethnicity.  We ALL come from different levels in both socio-economic status and morality.  So did she specialize in championing the rich, the poor, the religious, the secular, the upper crust and the social outcasts?  If that be the case, only private colleges are NOT diverse.  So why should that even be a talking point?

If she is going to try to make North Texas another Cal-Berkeley, then this will be my last year of support.  I've got a strong feeling that the faculty-senate, or its equivalent, will run the university.  I see us as becoming the most liberal public university in the state.  Athletics will likely be tolerated as long as it doesn't become a drain on the social programs. 

I realize that UNT is first and foremost an institution of higher learning.  I don't ever want to take from that.  But, I also realize what the university has become academically under Dr. Pohl without deemphasizing athletics.  I would like to see it continue as a mainstream university with excellence in academics, athletics, arts, and anything else associated with the college scene.

One parting shot.  Don't blame everything on Lee Jackson.  How about the Board of Regents?  As best I recall, they hired Lee Jackson.  They can also terminate him if he is not following their guidelines.  It is they who will will hire the next UNT president, not Lee Jackson.  So, if things don't work out, write both Lee Jackson AND the Board of Regents.

Please, Lord, let me be wrong about my feelings on this.

Well, after letting the news sink in a bit more, I think I'm cautiously optimistic at this point. As someone else already pointed out, she's been a major party of several universities with high-profile athletics. Now, although her athletic support at said institutions is not documented, it is just as likely that she understands the impact of athletics on a university as she doesn't.

Although you make good points about diversity as a whole, I actually think this is a positive spin on the university. We market ourselves as being very diverse, and hiring a president who supports diversity is a very good thing for our programs. We can continue to improve our cooperative learning programs with other countries, and perhaps develop some cultural programs that gain national prominance. With the better academic programs, we could potentially attract the scholar-athlete (provided we don't lose support for athletics).

I do however, like the no-crap attitude with which she approaches situations. I think that our faculty senate, if left unchecked, could really run athletics into the ground. From her comments, I take it that she won't put up with the crap, nor crap from Lee Jackson, if she disagrees with the direction in which they turn the university.

Very good point about holding both LJ and the BOR responsible for whichever hire they make.

The university is doing everything possible to become a major "hard science" research university. Everything at the university is being retooled for that effort. You may hear some very exciting news about new research programs at NT soon.

Don't worry about us becoming UT Austin Lite.

Honestly I don't know what you mean by that comment.  Care to elaborate?  I don't know if I should take that as a positive athletics or negative athletics comment.  blink.gif

Sorry if that was confusing, I meant that sentence in response to:

If she is going to try to make North Texas another Cal-Berkeley, then this will be my last year of support.  ...  I see us as becoming the most liberal public university in the state. 

One parting shot.  Don't blame everything on Lee Jackson.  How about the Board of Regents?  As best I recall, they hired Lee Jackson.  They can also terminate him if he is not following their guidelines.  It is they who will will hire the next UNT president, not Lee Jackson.  So, if things don't work out, write both Lee Jackson AND the Board of Regents.

Thats a very good post. From reading comments on this board I would of thought LJ was being paid by SMU to secretly sabotage our chances of ever escaping the lower ranks of college football. It would be interesting to see a list of the 19 candidates picked and their qualifications though.

The university is doing everything possible to become a major "hard science" research university.  Everything at the university is being retooled for that effort.  You may hear some very exciting news about new research programs at NT soon.

Don't worry about us becoming UT Austin Lite.

I tend to agree with this. This University moved away from being the "best little teacher's college in the state" a long time ago. Most of the growth at North Texas in the last two decades has been in the area of business/research/science.

When I visited with Bobby Ray in November he was very firm that there would be no retreat from the attempts that have been made to bring our athletic program up a few notches. Before we sell this lady down the river, lets remember that the Board of Regents signs the paycheck of the University President and gives direction to him/her.

Having said that, I think it is going to be tough to find anyone who has done as much for our athletic program as Dr. Pohl. I would not want to be the person following him.

Perhaps the person following Dr. Pohl is in a very good position. This new president could take advantage of behind the scene developments that will appear to have taken place on her watch. She's in a very good position.

And I agree with the earlier post that she comes from universities with a high athletic profile. I think we'll be OK...if you...

Join the Mean Green Club

Buy Season Tickets

GO MEAN GREEN

and that's good for another Mean Green...FIRST DOWN !!

Guest GrayEagleOne

Perhaps the person following Dr. Pohl is in a very good position. This new president could take advantage of behind the scene developments that will appear to have taken place on her watch. She's in a very good position.

I agree that Dr. Pohl has left her in a very good position. However, new presidents are famous for wanting to make their own mark on the university. Also while Dr. Pohl was a favorite with the students and alumni he was unpopular with the faculty. She strikes me as much more faculty friendly.

It would be interesting to see a list of the 19 candidates picked and their qualifications though.

The Regents and Jackson selected Bataille from a diverse pool of candidates recommended by a 19-member search advisory committee co-chaired by Regents Gayle Strange of Denton and Robert Nickell of Dallas. The advisory committee included UNT faculty, staff and students as well as community leaders. Korn/Ferry International, an executive search firm, aided the system and the committee in the search process.

Again as I posted before, Dr. Bataille was chosen from a "pool of candidates", not from 19 of them. The 19 is the number of members on the search advisory committee.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

We are so dead, Lee Jackson sucks the Big one.

Just one

Just two

Just Three

Well I have read well over thirty articles, reports and minutes where Dr. Bataille is quoted or her minutes have been recorded. Seems she really cares about Native Indian culture and Literature. But never seemed to speak one way or the other about sports.

Which is bad for me right off the bat, I was hoping for a President that was already a vocal and active sports supporter. Then you look at her background and with civil liberties, humanities, art, native Indian culture and literature, I really feel we are screwed if she gets the Job. Not to mention Lee Jackson picked her. This really seems like a ploy, Lee Jackson gets the first woman President appointed.

Not sure why she wants to come to Texas anyway, like it or not, for the most part Texans killed almost all the Indians in this state.

Edited by KingDL1

We are so dead, Lee Jackson sucks the Big one.

Just one

Just two

Just Three

Well I have read well over thirty articles, reports and minutes where Dr. Bataille is quoted or her minutes have been recorded. Seems she really cares about Native Indian culture and Literature. But never seemed to speak one way or the other about sports.

Which is bad for me right off the bat, I was hoping for a President that was already a vocal and active sports supporter. Then you look at her background and with civil liberties, humanities, art, native Indian culture and literature, I really feel we are screwed if she gets the Job. Not to mention Lee Jackson picked her. This really seems like a ploy, Lee Jackson gets the first woman President appointed.

Not sure why she wants to come to Texas anyway, like it or not, for the most part Texans killed almost all the Indians in this state.

Now don't be too hasty with all this, Tony, because after all don't we now have a "universally" accepted branding that had the approval of a fairly wide selection from the UNT community who were allegedly asked to add their input with our already "most visible" (NOT) kelly green as our official color and also don't forget one of the main reasons for Lee Jackson's hire in the first place, ie, an immediate groundswell of support and approval from the Texas legislature for a uh, law school to be located in downtown Dallas? rolleyes.gif

So these are the good ol' days for the University of North Texas where NT is the pinnacle for many of our employees and the retirement center for many who could not get higher profile jobs than the ones they have now.

So send those million$ in and I'm sure this group will find a place (insert a sublimenal "all of Lee's Gang" personal pet projects) for all these extra funds to be steered toward.

Funny how at UNT in the past we seem to most always hire 180% opposite from those who had the big visions for varsity athletics when we hire new administrators. sad.gif

FWIW and IMHO (and many others as well) UNT never had the endowment to be a system school in the fist place and any novice outside the UNT community would most likely agree. If you're going to buy a 2007 Jaguar, shouldn't you really check to make sure you have the budget to afford it? As I recall, overall fundraising for even just the Denton campus before we became a system of 3 schools was hardly anything one could describe as "lights out."

In a nutshell, with the resources we have proven time and time again (decade after decade) that we cannot seem to raise, UNT is now fighting our fundraising wars on too many fronts and as many of you have also expressed, it looks like the campus most of us attended in Denton will come up on the short end of the stick with all this longterm (save a Big Donor does not come forth to help jumpstart a new NCAA D1-A football stadium to discount many of ours present feelings about this new Lee Jackson era at UNT).

W/O a new football stadium (at UNT-Denton for those who might think UNT-Dallas smile.gif ) which will make a long awaited statement of where we really want to go; anyway, without this new stadium few in the 119 member NCAA D1-A will really ever take us serious again in the future when they read about all our grandiose plans from even our own campus publications (and not just GMG.com, either). So for the time being, a hardy, hardy handful of you can just keep getting excited about those SBC wins (forget OOC wins) and all those women's basketball wins over the Tarleton States of this world to pad career W/L records.

Starve the dogs and the dogs will get the hint and just leave.