---If DD left at end of season---

eulesseagle

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, we would have to put forth alot of money to bring him here. And i wonder if we could just bite the bullet and get him on. But, i bet he would also bring ALOT of money back in return.

Everybody keeps asking us to present a coach. i was just presenting one off the top of my head. I am sure there are many many many viable candidates that would just love to have a D-1A head coaching job. And i am sure there are many that are more capable than DD. so, the arguement that there is just no one out there to replace him just doesn't seem true. It just requires some investigating and a bit of luck.

And suitcases full of:

user posted image

If you're offering to write the check, I am sure RV would come out to Casa Travis and shake your hand.  wink.gif

Cerebus, I tend to agree with you on this except for one thing.

IMHO, someone is not letting RV do the "personnel" portion of his job re: hiring and firing coaches. So, it wouldn't matter if the money was raised to buy Dickey out of his contract. Whoever is not allowing RV to do the "personnel" part of his job, would just make RV give Dickey another raise.

I hope I'm wrong about this.

IMHO, someone is not letting RV do the "personnel" portion of his job re: hiring and firing coaches. So, it wouldn't matter if the money was raised to buy Dickey out of his contract. Whoever is not allowing RV to do the "personnel" part of his job, would just make RV give Dickey another raise.

Yes. sad.gifph34r.gif

ph34r.gifph34r.gifph34r.gifph34r.gifph34r.gifph34r.gif

Does this persons name rhyme with Robby Bay?

ohmy.gifunsure.gifohmy.gifunsure.gifohmy.gifunsure.gifblink.gifblink.gif

The DD haters have blinders on, and do not consider what happens if we have two or more losing seasons under a new coach.  Plus they will not look at the last several decades and realze that our average coaches won 5.1 games a year in 1AA since 81 and DD has won 7.2 games a year in 1Asince 2001.

Here's the truth behind those numbers:

GMG.com

Silver,

Dickey has built up enough "good works" that he wouldn't be removed if this season tanked. If he tanked for another year? I am sure the AD would love to get those checks in.

This is a business, and DD knows his job is dependent on winning and losing, nothing else.

He has take a junk bond / penny stock and improved it a great deal. It's not a blue chip yet, but its in a lot better place than it was when he took over. If it doesn't continue to improve will he be removed? Of course. But he has earned the right have enough time to correct the current slump.

I never posted this, but I expected us to lose two SBC games this year, and win one of the OOC games. We had the following problems:

1) Had no one who had ever taken a snap in a college game. To me that means the pass game suffers, if the pass suffers around here, we have no offense, because people are keyed in on the run so much anyway, all they have to do is totally sell out against us.

2) No experience lines. Now before FFR starts frothing at the mouth, yeah, we had some returns on OL who had played before, but this is criticall, the line hadn't played before TOGETHER. OL is more a unit than any other position, is has to know each other and work well. The DL is totally new. I am a firm believer that all games are won/lost on the line. Two lines that where probably going to be ineffective for at least part of the season means to me that we lose games.

Now I never expected us to get killed by Tulsa, I did not expected to get killed by K-State. The team has under performed from what I expected. I am not happy about that.

The differnce is that it seems many people thought we where going to continue to play at the previous level or improve. So thier fall is even greater.

I fully expect us to be a much better team by the end of the season than we where against Tulsa. I fully expect us to be a team AT LEAST on par to the NO bowl teams. I expect to beat SMU next year. If that does not happen, I am going to be very, very unhappy.

As for what is going on this year? I expected something like this, just not quite this bad, so I am not calling for heads to roll.

user posted image

I'll be at LaTech, I hope to see alot of you there.

No experience lines. Now before FFR starts frothing at the mouth, yeah, we had some returns on OL who had played before,

I've not frothed at anything. I've just posted the facts concerning hints at our youth on offense, including our line. There is a difference between "played together" and "started 40 games between them".

Nothing has changed in this so called "gelling together" than 1999. We will lose someone every year. Can we afford to take 6 weeks of this each year?

Rick

Silver,

Dickey has built up enough "good works" that he wouldn't be removed if this season tanked.  If he tanked for another year?  I am sure the AD would love to get those checks in. 

This is a business, and DD knows his job is dependent on winning and losing, nothing else. 

He has take a junk bond /  penny stock and improved it a great deal.  It's not a blue chip yet, but its in a lot better place than it was when he took over.  If it doesn't continue to improve will he be removed? Of course.  But he has earned the right have enough time to correct the current slump.

I never posted this, but I expected us to lose two SBC games this year, and win one of the OOC games.  We had the following problems:

1) Had no one who had ever taken a snap in a college game.  To me that means the pass game suffers, if the pass suffers around here, we have no offense, because people are keyed in on the run so much anyway, all they have to do is totally sell out against us. 

2) No experience lines.  Now before FFR starts frothing at the mouth, yeah, we had some returns on OL who had played  before, but this is criticall, the line hadn't played before TOGETHER.  OL is more a unit than any other position, is has to know each other and work well.  The DL is totally new.  I am a firm believer that all games are won/lost on the line.  Two lines that where probably going to be ineffective for at least part of the season means to me that we lose games.

Now I never expected us to get killed by Tulsa, I did not expected to get killed by K-State. The team has under performed from what I expected.  I am not happy about that.

The differnce is that it seems many people thought we where going to continue to play at the previous level or improve.  So thier fall is even greater.

I fully expect us to be a much better team by the end of the season than we where against Tulsa. I fully expect us to be a team AT LEAST on par to the NO bowl teams.  I expect to beat SMU next year.  If that does not happen, I am going to be very, very unhappy.

As for what is going on this year?  I expected something like this, just not quite this bad, so I am not calling for heads to roll.

user posted image

I'll be at LaTech, I hope to see alot of you there.

Please keep in mind that I am not yelling to "fire DD". What I'm am saying is that IF and/or WHEN this issue becomes critical, RV has not (again IMHO) been empowered to make this tough decision.

That's an untenable situation for any manager to be in. If what I'm am speculating about is true, then for this University and/or BOR to allow this to continue is shameful.

And again, assuming that my speculation is true (which I hope it's not). Then let's say that RV finds another job and moves on. What "competent" candidate would even think about applying for his job?

Of course that's assuming that this University even wants a "competent" AD. sad.gif

Nothing has changed in this so called "gelling together" than 1999.  We will lose someone every year.  Can we afford to take 6 weeks of this each year?

We don't lose the majority of the starters on the OL every year.

We also don't lose the majority of starters every year and then also put in a QB who hasn't taken a single snap in college.

Now forget the OL and throw in no starters on the DL? blink.gif

Those three things to me meant that we where not going to win the SBC, and we where probably going to lose two SBC games.

Nothing has changed in this so called "gelling together" than 1999.

??? huh.gif Lost me there Rick.

Here's the truth behind those numbers:

Before DD we lost in 1AA. Now we win in 1A.

We went to the 1AA playoffs a number of years. Oh, and when we were 1AA, we beat some 1A's in OOC games with far fewer scholarships to work with, and coaches that didn't throw out excuses about fan support, facilities, etc...

Edited by UNTLifer

Cerebus

QUOTE(FirefightnRick @ Oct 17 2005, 12:46 PM)

Nothing has changed in this so called "gelling together" than 1999.

???  Lost me there Rick.

I meant that nothing has changed from 1999 until now, in that, with this system, we continue to struggle for the first half of the season for the line, and the offense, to gel.

Cerebus

We don't lose the majority of the starters on the OL every year.

We also don't lose the majority of starters every year and then also put in a QB who hasn't taken a single snap in college.

And we won't gain two veterans with a combined 15 starts under their belts each year to replace the ones we do lose.

This is not to place all blame on Meager, not at all. But I don't consider Byerly's 12 pass attempts, mostly in the third game of last year, all that much more experience than Meagers'. There were many more opportunities for him to get into games, mainly against Idaho and Ark State, but for whatever reason didn't? Secondly, all while knowing Joey was struggling in class, in February none the less, others in Spring training sat and watched him take most of the snaps during the scrimmages. Take Meager and his inexperience out of the equation and replace him with Byerly this year and you more than likely have the same inept offensive system we currently have.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Any thoughts about the new offensive line coach that was hired this year from Army?    Is he gonna giter done?

He didn't at Army.

Todd Dodge of Southlake would be nice to have in some coaching position. He talent is often college level anyway.

So far I think my 3 top choices would be Todd Dodge, Rick Neuheisel, or Deloach, in no order. I know that if we were, by some miracle of God, able to search for a new coach, it would cost more money. However, I will gladly open up my checkbook and give what I could.

Nice choices Rudy...but the bottem line is it just isn't going to happen. Deloach and Neuheisel, make to much money and both are thought of as premier coaches...Deloach is being fast tracked, NT could not afford him. As for Dodge, his contract is worth more than 220K...not in salary, but he gets all kinda of kickbacks from that town. I've heard a house rent free, cars, and other under the table compensation based on the number of wins and playoff games...not to mention championships. As for Applewhite, he's coaching at Syracuse I thought...and very unproven. I like your thoughts though about Nei. and Del.

We need a defense oriented football program....

DeLoach is the Cornerback/Secondary Coach at UCLA. I believe he would jump at the chance to be the HC at UNT. UCLA isn't setting the world on fire with their defense, in fact, they are undefeated because of their offense's ability to come from behind.

DeLoach bio From the UCLA website

If thats the case then why would we want him here?

Because when he was here, he had our defense in the top 10, Even after playing OU, TCU, TU. TTU. After he left, our D started to lose its power, and recruiting. I know we still lost to the likes of OU and TU, but OU beat NT 37-10, and TU won 27-0. Yes those are losses, but considering the gap between the programs, thats pretty good.