---If DD left at end of season---

eulesseagle

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 weeks later...

DD and RF both played QB at Div. 1 U's (sorry, I'm easily amused).

Bruce Chambers. That's a name I'd want on my list.

Graduate of Dallas Carter high school and North Texas ('82). He was a 4-yr letterman as a WR (also track and field).

BIG-TIME Texas high school coach for 14 years at Dallas Carter (1983-1997) before moving up to the University of Texas, coaching running backs (1998-2002), tight ends (2003-2005), and has been a KEY player in recruiting (currently recruiting coordinator) for the Longhorns. He has also served as an assistant head coach and director of UT's High School Coaches Clinic.

He'd be a tough pull given his current situation, but I think he'd be worth it. Hopefully we'd be able to play the North Texas card, and the fact that it would be a head coaching job with nowhere to go but up.

Immediate upgrade in recruiting, and he's coached some very good running backs at a high profile job.

DD and RF both played QB at Div. 1 U's (sorry, I'm easily amused).

Bruce Chambers.  That's a name I'd want on my list.

Graduate of Dallas Carter high school and North Texas ('82).  He was a 4-yr letterman as a WR (also track and field).

BIG-TIME Texas high school coach for 14 years at Dallas Carter (1983-1997) before moving up to the University of Texas, coaching running backs (1998-2002), tight ends (2003-2005), and has been a KEY player in recruiting (currently recruiting coordinator) for the Longhorns.  He has also served as an assistant head coach and director of UT's High School Coaches Clinic.

He'd be a tough pull given his current situation, but I think he'd be worth it.  Hopefully we'd be able to play the North Texas card, and the fact that it would be a head coaching job with nowhere to go but up.

Immediate upgrade in recruiting, and he's coached some very good running backs at a high profile job.

No we are getting somewhere. Can we get him "somewhere?"

Travis would be one hell of a coach. (background music plays)

Why should Travis be our head guy?? He promises to come to this board daily and hear how the game plan should be.

Travis would vow to his most devoted that tortillas would be allowed.

Travis will not come attack you in the stands if you criticize his strategy.

And he would not allow warm beverages in bottles to be served at the concession.

AND, By God he will serve this program as he does his country in truth, justice and the american way!

Coach Dickey does none of these things? Would he be your man you want for your alma mater's program?

*paid for by the Travis-for-head-coach campaign*

Travis would be one hell of a coach. (background music plays)

Why should Travis be our head guy??  He promises to come to this board daily and hear how the game plan should be.

Travis would vow to his most devoted that tortillas would be allowed. 

Travis will not come attack you in the stands if you criticize his strategy.

And he would not allow warm beverages in bottles to be served at the concession.

AND, By God he will serve this program as he does his country in truth, justice and the american way!

Coach Dickey does none of these things? Would he be your man you want for your alma mater's program?

*paid for by the Travis-for-head-coach campaign*

I'm in...I vote for Travis, he made a VERY convincing arguement

I like DeLoach!

He did a fantastic job with the D and you can tell that the replacment DC wasnt as good because the defense has been weaker each year since then. I think the talent level is there, but I think DeLoach would be the right man to bring that back to speed.

The thing about DeLoach's D is that still put our team in positions to win even with the weak O of that time. By producing turnovers and sacks, they gave the Drew Smith team the ability to win that NO Bowl.

----In A Fantasy World----

Mike Ditka, Joe Green, That ilk of player...some older smash 'em-in-the-jaw, blood-and-guts, old-school defense guys. If not at HC then at DC. Those guys struck fear into the hearts of the opposition. Our D at one point had other teams scared (the UT game where their QB got nailed 7 times).

Mike Ditka, Joe Green, That ilk of player...some older smash 'em-in-the-jaw, blood-and-guts, old-school defense guys. If not at HC then at DC. Those guys struck fear into the hearts of the opposition. Our D at one point had other teams scared (the UT game where their QB got nailed 7 times).

Is that a full size Ditka, or a bunch of little mini Ditkas?

What ever happened to Coach Jenkins at U of Houston? Let him open up the offense and make all of our QB's Heisman candidates like he did down in Houston.

June Jones took his Run-n-Shoot West, he is the head coach at Hawaii.

Check out who his TE's coach. Or his Defensive Coordinator.

June Jones took his Run-n-Shoot West, he is the head coach at Hawaii.

Check out who his TE's coach. Or his Defensive Coordinator.

Wasn't there a rumor where June Jones was considering stepping down at Hawaii after this season? They've been down for a few years now and have lost the Hawaii Bowl 2 years in a row...

Regardless, I'd take June Jones in a heartbeat.

Edited by Got5onIt

I think some would be surprised at some of the high profile names that have applied for the NT head football coach's gig in the past. One such applicant caused one of NT's coach's who was duly impressed to respond : "You mean HE has applied for this job?"

FWIW, they are much higher profile names than I am seeing on many of the posts on this thread. Some of those higher profile names asked for professional discretion when they applied, but my "then" inside source in the NT Athletic Department blew me away with a handful of names he mentioned to me. Who knows, maybe even some from that short list might apply again in the future? Maybe some of you older nestors know other high profile names who did go public with their interest in our job in the past?

NT found the money to pay Hayden Fry back in 1972 and I think they could do the same for another high profile hire, but right now, there are no openings.

"If you set low goals, you will surely reach them." (Dr. Norman Vincent Peal)

GOD BLESS TEXAS...

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Does anyone, "and in your heart you know I am right,*" think that DD will REALLY get the K-State job????

Look to see who his competition is.

*an old quote from Sen. Barry Goldwater.

No.....

I think the KSU job will be TCU's Gary Patterson's for the taking. Probably his team's being ranked and winning some impressive OOC games over the years will help seal the deal for him to get that KSU job.

TCU's Coach Pattt' being a coach in this region will probably also help him get the job, because Bill Snyder's only personal Texas connection was decades ago when he was (I believe) head coach at Austin College and then one of Hayden Fry's assistants at NORTH TEXAS. What I am saying is that KSU's Snyder seemed to have lost his Texas recruiting base for the most part. Patterson would change that overnight.

KSU needs the Texas connection that Gary Patterson would give them. He and his assistants (of which many he would take to Manhatten) would be able to hit the Lone Star state recruiting trail running. All who they are recruiting for TCU would suddenly be on KSU's Texas recruiting list. A trivial thing is that Patterson would be going to another school with the same colors as TCU if he got the KSU job.

GOD BLESS TEXAS...

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Not a chance he gets the HC job. Maybe he can get on as an assistant. You can't tell me he doesnt want to go there in some capacity because they have a "better situation".

As to who has applied in the past, throw us a freakin bone here.

I wonder what the greatness of Gene Stallings is doing right now??

Jenkins got run off from U of Houston for running a corrupt program. June Jones isn't coming to Denton with that wheels off offense.

Patterson is working on a million dollar plus extension at TCU right now per the DMN, and KSU isn't hiring DD. They may give him a courtesy interview but nothing else.

Dodge going to SMU wouldn't necessarily hurt NT considering our coach that is supposed to recruit the DFW market has signed much lately. It seems to me that NT has decided to concentrate its efforts on Oklahoma and the Houston and Austin areas.

A bone? Barry Switzer for one.

Edited by UNTLifer

Jenkins got run off from U of Houston for running a corrupt program.  June Jones isn't coming to Denton with that wheels off offense.

Patterson is working on a million dollar plus extension at TCU right now per the DMN, and KSU isn't hiring DD.  They may give him a courtesy interview but nothing else.

Dodge going to SMU woul¤

I think the lure of a BCS job in the Big 12 would be too much for Gary Patterson to turn down. After all, his former mentor ex TCU coach Dennis Francione also turned down a $1 million contract offer to stay in Fort Worth.

There is not one non-BCS coach who would turn down the majority of BCS jobs. That is most of their objectives and goals. I mean look at what Hayden Fry took after he left NT such as a U of Iowa football program that had decades of a losing legacy, but the Hawkeyes were also in the Big 10, too, and Fry saw all that as opportunity.

GOD BLESS TEXAS...

No we are getting somewhere.  Can we get him "somewhere?"

I think HC is the only way to go, since he's an assistant HC at UT. It's the only possible move for him that wouldn't be lateral or a downgrade.

I'm surprised nobody else has mentioned Chambers, though, as he remains one of the most underrated coaches in the state and a perpetual snub for HC interviews. If one were to going to make a case for the lack of minorities in head coaching positions, he's your poster child.

The only difficulty would be prying him away from Mack Brown's hands. That, and should UT finally get to the promised land, he might start to get the notice he deserves.