The most damaging play in UNT football history?

Harry

Still has to be the Tubby Coleman kick return fumble against A&M at Texas Stadium several years ago. Such a strong first half we played that day and so much momentum we had after beating Tech the week before. We hang tough but after the Coleman fumble the life is sucked out.

It took the program a long time to recover from that one.

Gosh, just when I was starting to feel happy!

Just kidding Harry! I hope you and the family are great.

The TAMU play was terrible. The Texas play in our endzone was tough. The Texas Tech fumble in front of our eyes was tough. Neither had those hellacious conference title ramifications, but I would love to have even more Big 12 notches in our belt.

I would say Texas early run from scrimmage was devastating last year. I also think that CSU pass down the field taking the wind out of us early in 2001 was not fun.

Now back to the fun stuff!

MIRACLE IN THE DESERT THE BEST PLAY OF ALL TIME!

GMG

I remeber that play vividly. We had just stopped the Aggies cold and we knew the momentum had swung our way. After the fumble it was all she wrote. How about Ladarrin Mclain fumbling the ball on his way for the winning score against Tech in 2000

On the other hand, how about some great plays:

- Mills fade pass with time running out against Oregon State for the win in 1995

- Mills to Harrison for the win at Tech in 1997

I have to agree with Harry on this one. While LaDarrin's fumble hurt, we still seeemed to recover. After the Texas 2 non TD's, we proved we could play against D1A. But that hit in the A&M game...Man that hurt. I remember being distraught after that hit/fumble/loss. That was Simon's team, right? They weren't the same after that.

It's all green now though.

GO MEAN GREEN !!!!!!!!

And the award for most depressing topic ever goes too............................

Not the most...but the second most ....was the fumble at the 2 yard line in the game against Arkansas on October, 15 1968 at Little Rock. It was first down and goal to go with the Mean Green trailing 17-15 to a top ten ranked Arkansas team and Ramsey and Leo Taylor botch the handoff on a left-tackle slant. Arkansas recovers and eats up the last 4 minutes of the game to escape the upset. I was sitting only a few yards away on row 8, 5 yard-line and saw the whole thing in slow motion. I saw what would have been the biggest victory ever for North Texas slip away with that miscue.

The call was so bad, there would not be a reason to even look at replay today.

It was called a touchdown. A replay would have overturned the call. So the replay would have helped.

We win that game and we are playing in Conference USA today!

Wrong answer. We were 1-AA at the time. If we score the TD that McLane dropped against Tech, I think maybe CUSA, but who knows?

Edited by GreenBat

Most damaging? For me, without a doubt, it was Keith Chapman's extra point clanging off the right upright and falling harmlessly into the end zone against NLU in 1988. We had just come back from 21 points down, and the extra point would have tied the game and (if no one else scored in the last 90 seconds or so) we would have been co-Southland conference champions. I can still feel that ring slipping off my finger, so that play was quite damaging to my jewelry collection! sad.gif

tubby coleman fumble and the oklahoma state field goal. i was at both of those games and each broke my heart.

thinking about those two plays has me in a monumental nostalgic state. 1994 in stillwater was a surreal trip and a crazy time for me and then the aggie game some years later i was with my wife (former aggie and unt eagle) and i just can't believe how different life was.

anyway, utterly depressing topic. thanks a lot harry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sad.gif

Not the most...but the second most ....was the fumble at the 2 yard line in the game against Arkansas on October, 15 1968 at Little Rock. It was first down and goal to go with the Mean Green trailing 17-15 to a top ten ranked Arkansas team and Ramsey and Leo Taylor botch the handoff on a left-tackle slant. Arkansas recovers and eats up the last 4 minutes of the game to escape the upset. I was sitting only a few yards away on row 8, 5 yard-line and saw the whole thing in slow motion. I saw what would have been the biggest victory ever for North Texas slip away with that miscue.

I was there too. You had to be proud of our team that year.