The most damaging play in UNT football history?

Harry

Guest JohnDenver

I have two in recent years...

1) Arizona goal line. Galbreath had the TD. That would have been a nice OOC win to go along with Cinci.

2) Branch stepping out of bounds down the sideline during the USF game on a long beauty of a pass from Smith. It brought back the TD and eliminated our chance of winning. Another OOC victory gone bad.

One of my top 5 had to be on National TV when we were in punt formation and  we snapped the ball and there was no punter there....that one hurt!  I believe it was against OU or someone like that.  Anyone remember that?

Yep, it was OU. That one got national pub. I remember seeing that one on the highlight shows here in Atlanta and being more than a little embarrassed for alma mater #1!!

Honorable Mention - Last game of the 1990 Season vs NE Louisiana (Monroe) - The Infamous "Win and Were in Game".

NE Louisiana lineman (straight over the center) blocked a field goal on the last play of the game to keep us from the 1-AA playoffs. My stunned face was captured on the front page of the DRC the next day. My dad had it framed for me......it's a nice reminder of where we used to be.

Who was our kicker that year?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Talon90

'88 UT bullshit TD catch 6 feet out the back of the endzone by Keith Cash for the win. Long ass drive back from Austin.

'92? WORST COACHED GAME IN NT HISTORY(for me). While easily in field goal range, Parker forgets what down it is and has the QB roll out and simply throw away the football over the back of the endzone on 4th, instead of at least throwing to any of the recievers in the endzone for a chance to score against SFA for homecoming. Then we get a late field goal to go up by 2 with 20 seconds left, but Parker blows it again by having the kicker POOCH KICK the ball for about a 20 yard kick off rather than kicking it deep with under 15 seconds left in the game. SFA fair-catches it around mid field, completes one pass for 15 yards and kicks a 50 yarder to win with no time left. Long ass drive back from Denton.

'94 With a 5 point lead in the final minute and a half against Oklahoma State, Simon refuses to put anyone back to field a punt. The ball hits at the North Texas' 20 yard line and rolls to the 1 inch line.(This has to be one of the most stupid strategic decisions I have ever seen to date next to baylor's fumbled return for a TD against UNLV). Then the Pokes stuff us on three straight hand offs and force an intentional safety, yet we still have the lead by 2 with under 30 seconds to go. But after they get the free kick they complete two first downs and kick a long one to win with no time left on the clock. Long ass drive back from Stillwater.

'99 The dropped punt against a&m. Long ass drive back from Irving.

'00 The fumbled pass and catch of 40 or 50 yards against Tech at the goal line with seconds remaining. 3 yards to go and it would have been pure elation! Does the ball that gets popped out over the sideline zip out of bounds? No, it goes straight back out to the middle of the field where Tech drops on it and runs the last seconds out on the clock. Long ass flight back from Lubbotocks.

'01 The blocked field goal that still futtered over the cross bar for Troy State for the win, sending us to the New Orleans Bowl with a losing record. Long ass night at the firehall after listening to it by radio thinking, "Thank God there wasn't any air travel service other than a homing pidgeon to Troy Alabama".

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Rick,

94 was in Norman against OU not OSU.  How do I know?  I had to sit in the damn stands and get ridiculed by the Sooner nation.  Man, I want to forget that play.

1994 was a 36-34 loss at OSU on a last second field goal.

1995 was a 51-10 loss at OU where we forgot to put our punter in on of all things a punt play. We snapped it to nobody and OU got the ball deep in our territory.

Honorable Mention - Last game of the 1990 Season vs NE Louisiana (Monroe)  - The Infamous "Win and Were in Game".

NE Louisiana lineman (straight over the center) blocked a field goal on the last play of the game to keep us from the 1-AA playoffs.  My stunned face was captured on the front page of the DRC the next day.  My dad had it framed for me......it's a nice reminder of where we used to be.

Who was our kicker that year?

I'm thinking it was...Keith Chapman???

I might be a year too late on that one, though.

BTW, my foot was in the pic Talon90's talking about. I was two people over from him.

For my money, the LaDarrin McLane fumble against Texas Tech in 2000 was certainly the most frustrating play, especially since it happened right in front of myself and about 50 Mean Green backers who made the trip to Jones SBC Stadium.

Talk about defeat being snatched from the jaws of victory... sad.gif

Edited by Greenblood94

No one has said the missed extra point by Garrett Courtney in 1998 at Utah State. We dominated them the whole day, we get a holding penalty by Starsky Banks on our last pat, which moves us back 15 yards and Courtney misses the retry, which leaves us up by two points. After trading possesions, John Baker pins them on their own one yard line with about a minute left. Utah St drives down and "makes" a field goal, which they clearly missed bc the two refs looked at each other to see if the other one knew whether or not it was good, and we lose by one point. Had we won that game, we would have been Big West conference champs bc that year we beat Boise on the road and we finally beat Nevada in the monsoon at homecomiong.